PG Music Home
The Rising Sun Blues
© 2022 Trad. Arr / J. Merritt, B. Merritt & P. Fulham

This is a new version of our six year old previous post adding Peter on guitar and Bud on bass.

With a melody dating back to British 1700's tavern songs and a lyric suggesting a “house of ill repute” this public domain tune (thus we we own all rights for our interpretation) has been, in our opinion, too often presented from the male perspective (as started by the Animals’ interpretation in 1964) and/or as a “pretty” folk song. Janice and I tried after extensive lyric research to re-create (via writing several new verses) what we think was likely the original intention, i.e, the story of a young prostitute. Keeping with the New Orleans setting we arranged the song with a “jump blues” feel fitting the location. We feel the song has long begged for a blues interpretation and hope we did it justice. The SC photo is by Bud of Janice. All comments are welcome and your time is appreciated. And big thanks to PG Music.

Janice: vocal > Rodes NT1 mic > BlueIcicle USB > Logic Pro X > Izotope Nectar
Bud: upright bass > MXL mic > Waves Bass Rider > Neuton 3
Peter: guitar RT (whatever the man adds) & sax note tweaks.

Guitar Rhythm: RT 2436 New Orleans Shuffle > Waves CLA Unplugged

Piano Rhythm: RT 2437 New Orleans Shuffle > Waves CLA Unplugged

Piano Fills: RT 2123 Country Shuffle > Waves ClA Unplugged (comped from multiple regens for turnarounds and fills)

Sax: RT 2134 Blues Shuffle > EMT 140 Plate Reverb Sim via Nectar 2

Drums: RD BluesRockShuffle > Waves CLA Drums
Snare: From the above RD audio file kit > Waves CLA Drums
Cymbals: From the above RD audio file kit > Waves JPL Percussion

Mastering: Ozone EQ > Ozone Dynamic EQ > Ozone Imager > Ozone Maximizer > Izotope Tonal Balance 2 > Logic Pro X Loudness Meter

Rising Sun Blues

there is a house in New Orleans
they call it the Rising Sun
it's been the ruin of many a poor girl
and me, oh God, I am one

i could have a good man and family
if I hadn’t fallen into a life of sin
and now I'm working at the house
just trying to please all them men

mama works all day at the mill
she sews those new blue jeans
and my daddy was a gambler, Lord
he lost his life down in New Orleans

somebody, go tell my baby sister
tell her not to do what I done
stay away from that house 
the one they call the Rising Sun

I ain't gonna leave New Orleans
my race is almost run
yeah, I gave up all my young life
beneath, beneath, the rising sun

beneath, beneath, the rising sun
Hi Janice and Bud,

Here is John speaking; you succeed to make a very interesting, swinging blues on that house! Hats off!
I 'got in contact' with this song when a young Dutch soldier came to Curaçao (an island in the Caribbeans) where I grew up. He fell in love with my older sister and to impress her, but also my mother (and us) he came playing this song and we were flabbergasted, impressed and my sister in love. I think my mother too, but I'm not sure. A car accident ended his life, but that song was always in our head.

And now you sing it in a totally different way, but how nice! As I said 'Hats off' or 'thubs up'.
The vocals are, as always, so nice and strong, but sensitive, but the band also is very good. I like that sax in it too.
I have one question, but also a bit hesitant, because who am I to make critic remarks on your song, but: Janice, I think that if you could sing that first sentence a bit tighter (less frills). I think it gives the intro more tension.
But it's john who asked me to say this ;-)

Altogether, as I said before, it's a very nice performance of the original and it definitly swings a lot more!

Happy Eastern, in my country we have 2 days for that; sunday and monday so keep that in mind with this wish),
Hans
Posted By: RnAM Re: The Rising Sun Blues (feat. Pete on guitar) - 04/17/22 10:01 PM
Wow, just when I thought that no one could possibly, ever, add something to such a classical (traditional) song. You've proven me wrong blush.

You just gave it the real Blues treatment.

I'm not surprised. Simply up to your usual high standards!

Rob
Man, that was fantastic! Really Smoky and dark; quite a different take than I've ever heard on that song before.
I remember this one. Nice new arrangement and mix enhances Janice's vocal.
Not that she needs any enhancing with that voice....
but I'm sure she's grateful to have ya. grin Cool lyric from the
prostitute's pov.
As I always say, the three of you make an impressive team.
Enjoyed my listen.

Josie
I remember this one very well, I think it might have been the first song I heard from you guys. I see my review from six years ago is still on Soundcloud too wink

Absolutely fantastic! Love hearing Peter in there, and cool getting you into the mix also, Bud. And of course Janice nails it.

This song, as you know, has been covered by many people over the years, but for me, and I mean this sincerely, this is my favorite bar none.

Perfection!
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janice and Bud,

Here is John speaking; you succeed to make a very interesting, swinging blues on that house! Hats off!
I 'got in contact' with this song when a young Dutch soldier came to Curaçao (an island in the Caribbeans) where I grew up. He fell in love with my older sister and to impress her, but also my mother (and us) he came playing this song and we were flabbergasted, impressed and my sister in love. I think my mother too, but I'm not sure. A car accident ended his life, but that song was always in our head.

And now you sing it in a totally different way, but how nice! As I said 'Hats off' or 'thubs up'.
The vocals are, as always, so nice and strong, but sensitive, but the band also is very good. I like that sax in it too.
I have one question, but also a bit hesitant, because who am I to make critic remarks on your song, but: Janice, I think that if you could sing that first sentence a bit tighter (less frills). I think it gives the intro more tension.
But it's john who asked me to say this ;-)

Altogether, as I said before, it's a very nice performance of the original and it definitly swings a lot more!

Happy Eastern, in my country we have 2 days for that; sunday and monday so keep that in mind with this wish),
Hans

Thank you John smile And thanks for sharing your memories about the song. When a song evokes memories we feel that makes it special.

The vocal was recorded six years ago and the song has been licensed several times to some large companies and was released to the major streaming platforms so it would be unusual to change it at this stage. And regarding the frills, well, that is just the way the girl sings - she can’t help herself smile smile

J&B
Thanks a lot for the response, Bud.

I didn't know it was that old. I thought you recorded it on a rainy afternoon, last sunday ;-)
And of course I know 'the frills' belong to your girl, but here I had that (brilliant) idea of not doing that in the intro. But of course you can't alter the song if it's also on the music platforms.

So, what remains is that it is a good rendition of the original song. One I also like!

Hans
Man, I remember the original song back in the 60s and this sure peps it up!! Really enjoyed it!!
Great rendition! This was one of the first songs I ever learned to play on guitar, so I used to play it over and over to get it down, but man, I never played it this way! Great job by everyone involved.
Posted By: rayc Re: The Rising Sun Blues (feat. Pete on guitar) - 04/18/22 06:27 PM
The jump blues with that thudding bass...I can see the bodies moving & feel the floor broads shaking.
The song's been reimagined quite a few times and this is a successful member of the House family.
Like many The Animals introduced me and Leadbelly held a light over the origins for me and this narrative interpretation gave me a chance to rethink the song.
Cool, cool, cool.
Exceptional work by you three yet again.
Absolutely the best version ever, period.

That's all I have to say.
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Wow, just when I thought that no one could possibly, ever, add something to such a classical (traditional) song. You've proven me wrong blush.

You just gave it the real Blues treatment.

I'm not surprised. Simply up to your usual high standards!

Rob

Thank you Rob. One is never completely sure of how taking on a well known song will work out. We appreciate your thoughts!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens
Man, that was fantastic! Really Smoky and dark; quite a different take than I've ever heard on that song before.

Thank you.

That was exactly the feel we were hoping to achieve!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Sundance
I remember this one. Nice new arrangement and mix enhances Janice's vocal.
Not that she needs any enhancing with that voice....
but I'm sure she's grateful to have ya. grin Cool lyric from the
prostitute's pov.
As I always say, the three of you make an impressive team.
Enjoyed my listen.

Josie

Thanks Josie!
And we appreciate your mention of our focus on the woman’s perceptive.

J&B
Certainly a new version.
Very well performed by you all.
Well done.

Vic
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I remember this one very well, I think it might have been the first song I heard from you guys. I see my review from six years ago is still on Soundcloud too wink

Absolutely fantastic! Love hearing Peter in there, and cool getting you into the mix also, Bud. And of course Janice nails it.

This song, as you know, has been covered by many people over the years, but for me, and I mean this sincerely, this is my favorite bar none.

Perfection!

Thanks Dave I remember hearing the original back then. Was fun being asked to add a few fills to the update.
Appreciate the comments.

Peter
J&B:

Stellar stuff and a creative, fresh take on the tune. Great vocals as usual, as well as the killer blues guitar work (great job, Peter!). You all just continue to crank out some really cool tunes. Keep them coming!

Kindest regards to you all,

Deej
It says "blues", and blues it is!

I didn't expect the upbeat New Orleans sound, but it works!

This version hits all the right notes! laugh
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Love this version! Lots of swagger and attitude...

A melding of great performances and production.

Excellent!

Bob
A fine take on this cool ol' classic song...
Excellent Singin' and Bass Playin'.
Cool guitar solo too.
Love that jazzy N'Awlins groove.
Killer band...
Very cool twist on this song. Loved the New Orleans vibe. Awesome vocal and Peters guitar was perfect for the song. Excellent production Bud.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Perfection!

Wow, do we ever appreciate you saying that! We tried to take it another but good place and you help us feel that it worked.

Thanks so much.

J&B
WOW! I've heard this song so many times --even shared it with others-- and I'm amazed I haven't (Successfully) commented on it here. After playing this song so many times in so many different situations over the years, it's so nice to be hearing "the original." At least in mind that is what this is. What a wonderful tribute to music. You rewrote this song as if it's the original.
I enjoyed this immensely, and the re-twisting the lyrics to the original intention. Aces all around in this production.

As others have said, you made this yours.
Never expected that!

What a great arrangement. Talk about blue !!!!
Probably the wildest "interpretation" I have heard. So cool what you did! Team, absolutely stunning work on all levels! Janice vocals are perfect on this. Bud, glad to see you recording upright. Excellent playing! Can't go wrong with Peter. Sax sections spice this to another level. Mix and all are top notch. Congrats!
P.S. Cool photo!

Misha.
Originally Posted By: Ronnie Fields
Man, I remember the original song back in the 60s and this sure peps it up!! Really enjoyed it!!

Thanks Ronnie!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Great rendition! This was one of the first songs I ever learned to play on guitar, so I used to play it over and over to get it down, but man, I never played it this way! Great job by everyone involved.

Thank you Brad! Glad you like the arrangement.

J&B
As Good As It Gets.

New life to an old classic.

That VOICE. Oh my!!!

That Bass! Oh, yeah!!

Sweet licks and leads - perfect tone to fit like a glove.

That Mix! Oh so clean!!
Piano sounds so good.
Cool sax.

A New Classic.

fj
Originally Posted By: rayc
The jump blues with that thudding bass...I can see the bodies moving & feel the floor broads shaking.
The song's been reimagined quite a few times and this is a successful member of the House family.
Like many The Animals introduced me and Leadbelly held a light over the origins for me and this narrative interpretation gave me a chance to rethink the song.
Cool, cool, cool.
Exceptional work by you three yet again.

We all much appreciate that Ray and Bud thanks you for the bass mention.

J&B
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Absolutely the best version ever, period.

That's all I have to say.

Well, that says a lot … thank you!

J&B

Originally Posted By: vicarn
Certainly a new version.
Very well performed by you all.
Well done.

Vic

Thanks!

J&B
J&B,

I never thought about how this might sound with a swing beat, but this has a good sound...it works for me! I don't remember this from 6 years ago, I must have missed it. Really great work by everyone! Thanks, Torrey
Man! I almost missed this one!! Superb arrangement, terrific vocals (as usual) and great production. Hard to raise this bar any higher!

Cheers

Mike B.
Originally Posted By: Deej56
J&B:

Stellar stuff and a creative, fresh take on the tune. Great vocals as usual, as well as the killer blues guitar work (great job, Peter!). You all just continue to crank out some really cool tunes. Keep them coming!

Kindest regards to you all,

Deej

Thanks. We’re happy you liked the version!

J&B

Originally Posted By: dcuny
It says "blues", and blues it is!

I didn't expect the upbeat New Orleans sound, but it works!

This version hits all the right notes! laugh

Hittin’ the right notes is always good smile Glad you liked it!

J&B
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Peter,

Love this version! Lots of swagger and attitude...

A melding of great performances and production.

Excellent!

Bob

Thank you Bob. We were definitely attempting the attitude thing!

J&B
Janice, Bud and Peter,

Excellent!
Janice's vocal fits this new version of "The House of the Rising Sun" perfectly.
I've listened to the Animals and Woody Guthrie versions a lot, so these blues versions are amazing.
I realized again that American traditional songs can withstand any arrangement.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
A fine take on this cool ol' classic song...
Excellent Singin' and Bass Playin'.
Cool guitar solo too.
Love that jazzy N'Awlins groove.
Killer band...

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool twist on this song. Loved the New Orleans vibe. Awesome vocal and Peters guitar was perfect for the song. Excellent production Bud.

Thanks guys.

We greatly appreciate your thoughts and you both mentioned exactly what we were hoping to accomplish!

J&B
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
WOW! I've heard this song so many times --even shared it with others-- and I'm amazed I haven't (Successfully) commented on it here. After playing this song so many times in so many different situations over the years, it's so nice to be hearing "the original." At least in mind that is what this is. What a wonderful tribute to music. You rewrote this song as if it's the original.

Thanks Marty! It might have been presumptuous of us but that is exactly what we were hoping to achieve with the rewrite. Glad it worked for you!

Bud
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I enjoyed this immensely, and the re-twisting the lyrics to the original intention. Aces all around in this production.

As others have said, you made this yours.

Thank you!

J&B
Hello Janice, Bud and Peter
This is so cool
A really great variation on the classic
Absolutely brilliant sung and played
Really fun to listen to
Excellent work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Great job, as usual!!! Janice, as the artist in the spotlight, particularly shines, here. But everything about this production is, I feel, spot on. Congratulations!
Hi J&B great Job Janice on the vocal and style love that bass super guitar licks sweet sax great job Bud as always very creative!!! loved it Eric

Yeah,

I remember this and I see my earlier post on soundcloud. The new mix sounds good!

smile
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Never expected that!

What a great arrangement. Talk about blue !!!!

Thank you!

J&B
WOW! Classic song - fantastic vocal - driving-it-home bass - cool arrangement - great take on new verses. what else could a listener want? All the really good stuff has already been said (I agree with all of it) - Although grossly inadequate, this as all I could come up with.

Alan
That was nice!
Jump with soul!

well done everyone!

moto
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Probably the wildest "interpretation" I have heard. So cool what you did! Team, absolutely stunning work on all levels! Janice vocals are perfect on this. Bud, glad to see you recording upright. Excellent playing! Can't go wrong with Peter. Sax sections spice this to another level. Mix and all are top notch. Congrats!
P.S. Cool photo!

Misha.

Man, you mentioned every aspect that we strived to accomplish. Your comments mean a lot to all thee of us and are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

J&B
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
As Good As It Gets.

New life to an old classic.

That VOICE. Oh my!!!

That Bass! Oh, yeah!!

Sweet licks and leads - perfect tone to fit like a glove.

That Mix! Oh so clean!!
Piano sounds so good.
Cool sax.

A New Classic.

fj

What to say other than BIG thanks for your support, the many collabs and counsel throughout our BiaB journey into new genres.

We appreciate your comments big time.

J&B
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
J&B,

I never thought about how this might sound with a swing beat, but this has a good sound...it works for me! I don't remember this from 6 years ago, I must have missed it. Really great work by everyone! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey! Glad you like the swing groove - we felt it fitting as the lyric is based in New Orleans.

J&B

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Man! I almost missed this one!! Superb arrangement, terrific vocals (as usual) and great production. Hard to raise this bar any higher!

Cheers

Mike B.

Thanks Mike. Glad it worked for you!

J&B

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Janice, Bud and Peter,

Excellent!
Janice's vocal fits this new version of "The House of the Rising Sun" perfectly.
I've listened to the Animals and Woody Guthrie versions a lot, so these blues versions are amazing.
I realized again that American traditional songs can withstand any arrangement.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thank you Shigeki! And you are right - we do enjoy creating arrangements of traditional songs. We appreciate your comments.

J&B
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Janice, Bud and Peter
This is so cool
A really great variation on the classic
Absolutely brilliant sung and played
Really fun to listen to
Excellent work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks Andi! Love your project post.

J&B

Originally Posted By: musician17
Great job, as usual!!! Janice, as the artist in the spotlight, particularly shines, here. But everything about this production is, I feel, spot on. Congratulations!

Thank you!

J&B

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi J&B great Job Janice on the vocal and style love that bass super guitar licks sweet sax great job Bud as always very creative!!! loved it Eric

Thanks for the comments Eric!

J&B

Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Yeah,

I remember this and I see my earlier post on soundcloud. The new mix sounds good!

smile

Thanks David. We felt Peter added a lot to it.

J&B
© PG Music Forums