PG Music Home
Posted By: Guitarhacker Santana challenge ....well kind of.... - 04/29/22 04:44 PM
So I saw in another thread a song (good one BTW) that was created as a result of a challenge. I was reminded of this song that I did way back..... 2010 actually.

Yeah.... I did this one many years ago. I remember trying to recreate the playing style Carlos might have used had he been playing this. I did this back in the early days of my experimenting with BB. All the particulars on this are long forgotten. No clue of the instruments or the style other than it was BB.

I was using the melodist a lot in the beginning to create songs. On this one, I took the melody it created, editing it to my own particular liking and learned it on the guitar... Hence the recurring theme.

I was also experimenting with not only the guitar, but acoustic guitar and also trumpet.

I named this one: EMERALD EYES

Enjoy.....
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Santana challenge ....well kind of.... - 04/29/22 07:46 PM
Excellent. Love the way you harmonise the guitars. The brass interlude makes for an interesting mix.
Posted By: rayc Re: Santana challenge ....well kind of.... - 04/30/22 08:36 AM
Yep, the harmonies are very cool but the melody and phrasing make it something other than CS...rather more interesting really.
Very well played.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Santana challenge ....well kind of.... - 04/30/22 09:09 AM
So nicely put together, Herb, and played with gifted fingers. I liked the way you fashioned the trumpet too. Those guitars are really really well done. That acoustic is surely someone Carlos would have on stage with him --played so well. There's almost an Allman Brothers tribute to Santana feel to it. Love it!
Hi Guitarhacker,

nice playing of guitars. The trumpet find its place and the whole is pleasant.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Herb,

Tasty guitar. Electric and acoustic.

And a truly interesting instrumental. Really well paced with just the right amount of repetition and variation to the theme.

Good mix.

fj
Posted By: Al-David Re: Santana challenge ....well kind of.... - 04/30/22 01:27 PM
Hey Herb ...

What a great sound with the opposing guitars! You have them so nicely blended. The trumpet with the acoustics was so nice. And then the trumpet lead soon after. It was a total joy to listen to. You have some serious talent. And those acoustics with the trumpet soon after are stellar. Piano is a real nice touch, too. Well damn ... the whole thing is so freaking good!

Alan

Alan
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Santana challenge ....well kind of.... - 04/30/22 06:08 PM
Way cool piece. Excellent touch and tone... nice melody and harmony.
Thanks to every one who has listened and to those who commented.... thank you.

You may think you have won the challenge, my friend, but like I have told the bull many times, you will soon be the one to be eating the dust my friend!

I will see you again inside the ring and we will see who is the real Carlos!

Until then my friend!!!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Santana challenge ....well kind of.... - 05/01/22 01:21 PM
Great guitar playing, especially the harmonies!
The trumpet fits in well.
BTW, I've got green eyes grin

Anne-Marie
Posted By: Scott C Re: Santana challenge ....well kind of.... - 05/01/22 10:01 PM
Loved the harmonies of the guitars. Tone was excellent. Well done.
Nice one, Herb, love the melody and tone.

Good arrangement too, I like the bit with the trumpet and guitar trading off. Also really like the acoustic.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Santana challenge ....well kind of.... - 05/02/22 07:09 AM
Hello Herb,

You made a very nice song!
The instruments in the band are very well chosen and the mix is very good.
And when I zoom in to the solo guitar, you played very, very well. I would say, thumbs up (mine)!

But..., personally I don't hear Carlos playing here. Your playing is a bit too smooth for that.
It doesn't matter a thing for the quality of your song, but for a Santana competition, this is my verdict.

Nice day,
Hans
Mellow kind of Santana sound and very tasty - love the twin guitars of yours and the trumpet and acoustic guitar solo.

Enjoyed it,

J&B
GH.

once again this demonstrates the diversity of talent on these forums.
lovely instrumental interplays.

listening in parts i got a spanish/mexican vibe.

my goodness that guitar sound coming in at 2/44 is superb.

best to you.
om
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Santana challenge ....well kind of.... - 05/13/22 12:36 PM
Hello Herb
Extremely well played
And the guitar sound is top class
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
© PG Music Forums