PG Music Home
Posted By: Birchwood A summer song: The Ocean - 05/11/22 10:06 AM
Hi everyone,

After some 'heavy'songs I thought it is time for a summer song, on an island, a sax and a steelband and me with a Cuba Libre. what more do you want? Oh yes, a song!
Here it is: The Ocean, https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/the-ocean

The lyrics are just what they are. No hidden layers or something like that. The first version was from 2017, but this one has changed a bit.
I hope you like it, but please tell me if and what can be done better.

Hans

The ocean    
(c) HwBerkhout, feb 2017/ may 2022

Verse 1
I came looking for my brother
Always drinking in his favourite pub
Must bring him home soon
before he ends up in a tub

Verse 2
But there was that lovely lady
laughing friendly to me
So I forgot my brother
When she came sitting next to me

Chorus 1
So we went to the ocean, yeah
She came along with me!
We took the car of my brother, yooh
He did not disagree

Sub chorus
We took a ride to the ocean
And we dived into the sea

Verse 3
I told her, she would love it,
If we first go for a swim
Then dry-up in the sunshine
For us that's where we begin

Chorus 1 + 2:
It felt like a party, yeah
The waves weren't so rough
We drank Cuba Libre, yooh
Now I'm deeply in love

Bridge
Oh, what happened to me?
I woke up with a shock,
in that pub, in my bar chair...
She stared at me with a grin
And I? I started to stu-stu-stutter
But then she said: "care for a swim"?

Chorus 1 +2 +
Sub chorus
==============================================================
Style: INFUSED.STY, Key: G, Temp: 110 bpm
RealTracks:
3122:Bas, Acoustic2157:Piano, Electric Vintage
2930:Guitar, Akoestisch, Rhythm Folk (2x)
3611:Steel Drum, Rhythm
716:Sax, Tenor
RealDrums: Congas
Keyboards/ me: Native Instruments
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/11/22 11:55 AM
Hello Hans
Fitting to the nice weather
Your good mood song
The song is really good and makes fun
So it should be
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: rayc Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/11/22 08:07 PM
I wish the weather here was a match for the vibe.
Nice and light - melody as well as arrangement.
The chorus vocal is a little over processed for the warm, happy, vibe of the song.
Nice one...
Cuba Libre - rum n coke.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/11/22 09:02 PM
Hans,
Fun and happy island tune. Neat choice of instruments and pretty complex vocals that fit very well. I agree with Ray about a bit over processed vocals.... and that only because overall arrangement has more acoustic feel. Good mix and listens well.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: PeterF Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/11/22 10:34 PM
Hans

Some nice easy listening island music.

What's not to like!

Peter
Posted By: dcuny Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/12/22 03:02 AM
Fun song!

I enjoyed the sax, steel band, and - as you said - lyrics with no hidden meaning.

laugh
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/12/22 06:59 AM
Fun song, Hans, I like the band and the arrangement.

Reminds me of the music you hear in places like Cuba and the Dominican, just that laid back, feel good groove.

Enjoyed!
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/12/22 09:12 AM
Hi Andi, Ray and Misha,

Thanks for your nice comments and advise. And Misha, I missed you for a while. I was thinking of emailing you this morning but saw your reaction, so you are back!

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Hans
Fitting to the nice weather
Your good mood song
The song is really good and makes fun
So it should be
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Hi Andi, your response was quick! But also very nice. I decided to release this song, because the one before was a Dutch Nutshell and the other one a Ukraine war. That's enough bad news for a month, don't you agree?

Originally Posted By: rayc
I wish the weather here was a match for the vibe.
Nice and light - melody as well as arrangement.
The chorus vocal is a little over processed for the warm, happy, vibe of the song.
Nice one...
Cuba Libre - rum n coke.

Hi Ray, about the weather; my sister always wished rain because it was so hot al the time in your country. Well, now you see what happend!
Even she was complaining to me this morning. But I think good weather is coming soon after this song.
And I listened to you and Misha and did something in the mix. I think it must be better/brighter now. But because I used 6 tracks for the background, this could have caused some processing problems. and why 6 tracks? Because I liked them all and could not choose...

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hans,
Fun and happy island tune. Neat choice of instruments and pretty complex vocals that fit very well. I agree with Ray about a bit over processed vocals.... and that only because overall arrangement has more acoustic feel. Good mix and listens well.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Hi Misha, as I said above, I missed you. Probably you don't like Dutch, or War songs smile
I listened to you and Ray about the vocal processing. I think I reduced the problem. Thanks for telling. And also for liking the song!

Have a nice day,
Hans
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/12/22 09:16 AM
A couple of things that stood out.

The electric piano sits subtly but ideally in the mix.

Perhaps the vocals are a little too far out in front.

Nevertheless, a fun song.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/12/22 10:42 AM
When I clicked on the link to your song the first thing I heard was, "Hey, hand me the nail gun," and thought you did a Firesign Theatre type one. Thank goodness I was wrong. When the ad was over I was rewarded with a fun island getaway. Straight forward lyrics tell the story of a wonderful adventure, and is a strong endorsement of Cuba Libre. Excellent instrument choices and as always the perfect mix. You sing like someone who lived it, Hans.
Posted By: Al-David Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/12/22 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Hans

Some nice easy listening island music.

What's not to like!

Peter

Hi Hans ...

Peter already said what I was thinking. I agree with him completely. Cool song that's a pleasure to listen to.

Alan
Posted By: rodipoet Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/12/22 03:31 PM
Always fun to be on an island with ocean view and a cuba libre in one hand and a gorgeous woman in the other.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/12/22 04:42 PM
Hans,

Fun song. Clever turn at the bridge...

Well sung. Good summery BAND. Good mix.

Breezy.

Enjoyed.

fj
Posted By: RnAM Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/12/22 07:06 PM
First, a very high saturated mix! It really bursts out of our speakers, but in a good way.
We recognize that saxophone RT. We used it in one of our songs a couple of years ago.
Good harmonies.
Well done.
Posted By: Scott C Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/12/22 10:47 PM
Cool groove to the song Hans. Super vocal and lyric. Excellent mix. Loved the backtrack as well..
Posted By: jannesan Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/13/22 01:27 PM
Nice to get to the summer mood after one of the most beautiful spring days here. Light song with some romance, fun and humor. Enjoyed to hear those steel drums.

I'm also working on a summer song, involving drinking, let's see if it get finished this year smile

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/13/22 04:55 PM
We could almost feel the ocean breeze, Hans!
Jimmy Buffet goes to the Caribbean.

Janice was smiling and tapping her foot all the way through.

Fun lyric, good vocals, band, arrangement and mix!
The whole package.

Just what we needed,

J&B
Posted By: bloc-head Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/14/22 04:45 PM
Excellent production, fun song... I loved it.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/16/22 11:45 AM
Hi Peter, David and Dave,

Thanks for your compliments and I'm glad you appreciate a simple song once in a while smile

And Dave, because I've lived on one of the Caribbean islands, that atmospere stays in my head. Everytime I hear a steelband, I feel the tropics and want to go back...

Thanks for listening!

Hans
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/17/22 12:16 PM
Hi audiotrack, Marty and Al,

Nice to read your compliments and thoughts on the song!
As I said before; it was time for a song like this (for me). After this one the sad or heavy songs will come again!

Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
A couple of things that stood out.
The electric piano sits subtly but ideally in the mix.
Perhaps the vocals are a little too far out in front.
Nevertheless, a fun song.

Hi AudioTrack, it was the steelband and the sax that had to steal the show, and of course the story.
My brother has a very expensive car and that's why I introduced him...
I did some adjustments in the song and I think the mix must be good by now. Otherwise, you have to tell me it again. smile

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
When I clicked on the link to your song the first thing I heard was, "Hey, hand me the nail gun," and thought you did a Firesign Theatre type one. Thank goodness I was wrong. When the ad was over I was rewarded with a fun island getaway. Straight forward lyrics tell the story of a wonderful adventure, and is a strong endorsement of Cuba Libre. Excellent instrument choices and as always the perfect mix. You sing like someone who lived it, Hans.

Hi Marty, I don't know what kind of version of SoundCloud you use, but I never experienced this. Yes, on YouTube. And mentioning a 'gun' is a bit sensitive these days, I read...
And I may have told you before; I lived on an island in the tropics, but was to young for a cuba libre frown
But thanks a lot!

Originally Posted By: Al-David

Hi Hans ...
Peter already said what I was thinking. I agree with him completely. Cool song that's a pleasure to listen to.
Alan

Hi Al, I'm glad he wasn't the only one. Thanks very much!

I wish you all a nice day today,
Hans
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/17/22 02:31 PM
cute song.
my wife n i were discussing today how much we would like to be on a sandy shore on a island somewhere with lovely waters,..
i like those steel drums.

well done
om
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/17/22 05:44 PM
I'm a long way from the tropics, but you just took me there in my mind. I've never tried this kind of music, but I sure like what you've got here - I may have to start trying. Great mix, and I loved the breaks you put in.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/20/22 12:29 PM
Hello Rob (Rodipoet), Floyd, Anne-Marie, Rob (RnAM) and Scott,

Of course I'm late again, but have a good excuse; I am a bit ill...
But I read all your posts the moment they were sent, or a bit later and enjoyed all of them.
And -in a way- now I'm in a luxuery position; three musicians from the Netherlands are there to reply!

Originally Posted By: rodipoet
Always fun to be on an island with ocean view and a cuba libre in one hand and a gorgeous woman in the other.

Hallo Rob, it looks you have done exacly that! And it means you are longing for it again, regardiong to the word 'always'...
But thanks for your comment. If fantasies go the way you described then the song did it'ss job. I'm glad for that!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,
Fun song. Clever turn at the bridge...
Well sung. Good summery BAND. Good mix.
Breezy.

Enjoyed.
fj

Hi Floyd, thanks for this. Yes, that bridge was some work. I had to make a jump from dream to reality in a few words. This worked!
Have you had your rum and coke already?

Originally Posted By: RnAM
First, a very high saturated mix! It really bursts out of our speakers, but in a good way.
We recognize that saxophone RT. We used it in one of our songs a couple of years ago.
Good harmonies.
Well done.

Hoi Anne-Marie en Rob, about the speakers you talk almost the same as Bud and Janice. They turn the volume high and see of the song keep sounding good. Luckily they live where now one else is in about 30 miles around. And I know you live also near a wood with deer, swines and lovely birds. And they weren't even fleeing when you turned up the speakers to max., otherwise I would have read it in the papers or on television. The sax was a good one. I can imagine you used it too. I don't often use a sax, I am not really fond of the sound, but in this song it makes the sphere as well as the steelband! Then you longe for a Cuba Libre for sure. Except Anne-Marie. She does not drink, she told me...

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Cool groove to the song Hans. Super vocal and lyric. Excellent mix. Loved the backtrack as well..

Hi Scott, thanks for your so nice words! Did you enjoy the rum and coke too?

I hope you all have a nice day!
Here it is raining, but I stay inside until the fever is gone (no covid)

Hans
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/27/22 02:00 PM
Hans,

It's great to hear a light and airy song like this with all the depressing stuff going on around us! You definitely captured that tropical vibe on this! Enjoyed it!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/27/22 05:51 PM
Hi Janne, Janice and Bud, Bloc-head, OM, Brad and Torrey,

I was late in replying your so nice posts, but there were some health issues, unfortunately.
Better now, I hope.

Janne, thanks for your words and i'm looking forward for your happy tunes. Maybe one about joining NATO? Could become very funny, ha (cynical laugh). And use the AI ladies in it too!

Janice and Bud, thanks for the toe tapping on the song. Did you know it was situated in Margaritaville? Close to Jimmy Buffett... wink
I was honored by what you said about the song. Did you drank a rum and coke too, or a Margarita?

Bloc-head, I can't recall you ever said bad words on my songs. Always nice ones. Considering the quality of your own songs, that makes me feel great. Thanks!

OM, one day you don't discuss it anymore with your wife, but you fly to one of those islands. You can try one of the 6 islands of the Netherlands Antilles in the Caribbean. They speak English. But it gave me a nice feel my song did that to you. Give it a try!

Brad, you are from California! You don't need a tropical island. Go to your own beautiful beaches. I have been there some years ago. with a huge camper. I loved it there! Thanks that my song did this to you...

Torrey, that was the exact reason I did it! I must have told in the forum I was raised on a tropical island and loved the sound of the steelband. Every time I heard them I long for that (or one) island. But the sax was a good help too. Thanks, Torrey!

I wish you all a very nice weekend,
Hans
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 05/28/22 09:35 PM
Ha! I like the song's story with the little twist.

The instrumentation and mix is so good. You capture the mood quite well.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: A summer song: The Ocean - 06/02/22 10:54 AM
Hi Ezekiel,

I was watching a spanish movie recently and one of the main actors was a man called Ezequiel.
It's a rare name, I only know you. But that actor came close, don't you think?

Thanks for your compliments! At this very moment I'm drinking a cuba Libre...

Hans
© PG Music Forums