PG Music Home
Posted By: RichRayer Believe In Life - 05/26/22 01:21 PM
I know it has been a while since I have been on the forum. Life doesn't always flow smoothly and time was needed for family. Here is a piece I just finished. The backup group is all BiaB. The Clarinet melody and harmony parts were played by me. Enjoy this quiet piece of reflection on life.

Believe in Life

The style I used is: _PIANOLN.SYT Piano Lane Viseral Pop Ballad. I also used backup vocals 3552:Multi[Thickened=5] Vocal Oohs-Aahs
Posted By: firesong Re: Believe In Life - 05/26/22 05:40 PM
Rich...very nice arrangement and melody...it's not often we get non-guitar instrumentals so hearing a clarinet instrumental is refreshing and unique...enjoyed the listen...best regards...Dan
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: Believe In Life - 05/26/22 08:22 PM
Love the clarinet to be sure!

Suggestion: IMHO, the clarinet is too far out in front of the mix. Possibly work on toning it back a bit to see if you can find a better balance.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Believe In Life - 05/26/22 11:07 PM
That is what I struggle with. Engineering the mix balances a lot of the parts. I have worked to get a balance then I find the mix going into the red and making digital distortion. I bring instruments down in the mix and they seem to get lost in the mix. I have another mix that improves on what you heard and if I get a chance, I will swap it out with this one that is already on Soundcloud.

Thanks for listening and I really appreciate the commments.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Believe In Life - 05/26/22 11:09 PM
Thank you, there are days that I wish I were just a guitar player (especially when reeds are acting up). smile

I am happy you had a chance to listen to this piece.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Believe In Life - 05/27/22 05:49 AM
Hello Rich
nice melody
Played with clarinet it sounds good
I would reconsider the rhythm accompaniment, it doesn't fit your song that well in my opinion.
At 2:13 the best part of the song starts.
If you work on your song a bit more, I'm sure it will be very good.
Thanks for sharing
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Believe In Life - 05/27/22 09:14 AM
Thank you for listening and commenting, I will check your ideas about the rhythm accompaniment out.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Believe In Life - 05/27/22 10:36 AM
Very, very nice, Rich. Man, that harmony is outstanding. So well written. Although I don't play any reeds --couldn't get passed the tickle-- a clarinet is what my heart sings when I listen to music. Not sure that makes sense, but... Wonderful backing group too. Nice use of BiaB vocals too. Such a pleasing mix.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Believe In Life - 05/27/22 03:10 PM
I am glad you enjoyed the listen Marty. Thank you for the comments.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Believe In Life - 05/28/22 09:10 PM
Rich, I agree with what's already been said. The clarinet might be a little too up front in the mix, but man it sure is smooth sounding and I sure like the harmony parts on it. Good, unique sound. The rhythm backing was different than what I expected, but I liked it and thought that unexpected touch made the total sound in entirety even better - just my 2 cents worth.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Believe In Life - 05/30/22 04:09 PM
Janice played clarinet all through middle and high school years so she was excited to hear this song and we both enjoyed this very much.

Your tone is rich (no pun intended) and the backing band and vocals sound great to us.

We look forward to hearing more of your playing.

J&B
Posted By: rayc Re: Believe In Life - 05/31/22 05:53 PM
Lovely licorice stick playing, melody and harmony
I found the drums incongruous.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Believe In Life - 06/01/22 09:48 AM
rayc

Thanks for the comments. Others have also mentioned the drums as well. The RealTracks style that I chose used that particular style of RealDrums. I am not sure if maybe I just used the wrong style for the entire mix. I will experiment and see what happens.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Believe In Life - 06/01/22 09:54 AM
J&B

Thanks for listening and commenting. I really appreciate the comments on my tone quality on clarinet. The four-part harmony was something I learned when playing with a group of four clarinets. The leader of that group was writing the harmonies for many of the jazz standards so that we could play at nursing homes and retirement centers in our area. That inspired me to start doing the same with my own musical creations. I am glad you enjoyed it.
Posted By: RichRayer Re: Believe In Life - 06/01/22 09:57 AM
Brad,

Thanks for commenting and listening. The point of making music is for it to be heard and enjoyed (appreciated). I am glad you enjoyed it and thank you for taking time to comment! smile
© PG Music Forums