PG Music Home
Posted By: Janice & Bud Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/26/22 06:57 PM

Soul Stealer
Here’s a redo of a six year old tune. For this new version Bud plays upright bass and Peter joins in on guitar. Hang on to that soul! Comments are always welcomed and thanks to Peter and PG Music.

Janice: vocal, melody and arrangement
Bud: bass, lyric, mix, progression, mastering & Janice photo
Peter: guitar solos / fills & arrangement

Vocal: Rodes NT1 mic > Scarlett 212 interface > Logic Pro X > Izotope Nectar

Drums: RD blues rock > Waves CLA Drums

Bass: MXL mic > Waves Bass Rider > Izotope Neutron 3

Guitar Rhythm: RT 1984 easy listening > Waves CLA Unplugged

Piano Solo: RT 2368 blues solo ac (comped from multiple regens) > Waves CLA Unplugged > Ozone Imager module

Piano Rhythm: RT 2167 country > Waves CLA Unplugged > Ozone Imager module

Mixed/mastered via Logic Pro X
Mastering chain: Ozone EQ > Ozone multi-band compressor > Ozone Imager > Ozone Limiter > Youlean Loudness meter > Izotope Tonal Balance 2

Soul Stealer
© J. Merritt, B. Merritt & P. Fulham

outa my dream you walked into sight

I thought I'd finally seen the light

and though your eyes shone that night

I didn't know you were a soul stealer

I didn't offer it for sale, it got stole

maybe it had all been foretold

but you carried me over our threshold

for many years you played me hard

I'd been better off just left scarred

but I let you tear down my guard

you took me out to the crossroad

I saw the signs but never slowed 

should have known what it forebode

I know now you are a soul stealer

yeah you are a soul stealer

Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/26/22 08:19 PM
I really like this one! A lot of blues can be melodically predictable but you guys had a few nice surprises within!!
Posted By: rayc Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/27/22 02:54 AM
This was well worth the resurrection shuffle.
I LOVE the thudding bass with the slightly brighter kick...they mark time & space & relativity.
Peter fits this one like a kid glove.
Vocals are wonderfully evocative and pristine at the same time.
Excellent.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/27/22 05:54 AM
Hi Janice, Bud & Peter
Great song
Perfectly sung and played
Sounds just great
Great song title
Excellent work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
I really like this one! A lot of blues can be melodically predictable but you guys had a few nice surprises within!!

Thanks. We appreciate that! A predictable melody is not to be found within Janice’s vocal suite smile smile

Bud
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/27/22 10:52 AM
Yours was the first song I noticed when I came to the forum today, and I was hurrying to make my way to it. Love that moving bass, Bud. So excellent. Nothing like an upright. Outstanding lyrics sung by one of my favorite singers AND favorite humans. All y'all are. Strong piano opening, then that passionate voice takes control. WOW! Peter, you add such a fine touch of taste that is so perfect for the piece. Always. Bud, you know I love your mixes, but you may not know that I like to use your examples as a reference when I do mine. Thanks.
Originally Posted By: rayc
This was well worth the resurrection shuffle.
I LOVE the thudding bass with the slightly brighter kick...they mark time & space & relativity.
Peter fits this one like a kid glove.
Vocals are wonderfully evocative and pristine at the same time.
Excellent.

Thanks Ray for every word of that. And a special thanks for helping Bud sort out the bass and kick separation.

J&B
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/27/22 06:35 PM
J&B & Peter,
A simple, strong lyric idea the write explores well... and Janice bends the intensity as only she can.
Nice to hear Peter on those acoustic fills.
Fine mix.
Very much enjoyed!

Robert
Posted By: RnAM Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/27/22 11:10 PM
I am not sure if I heard the original before.

Sounds great! Particularly the voice inflections by Janice.

And Peter's contributions are always a pleasure to listen to.

Rob
Posted By: Scott C Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/27/22 11:45 PM
Very cool bass playing Bud. Gives the song such a cool feel. +1 on what Robert said. Love how Janice bends the notes. Loved the vocal. Peters playing was so very well done. So tastefully done. Super collaboration. Mix and masters was perfect..
Excellent!

Janice sounds perfect as usual, love that passion!

Great tone and tasteful playing from Peter, and always a treat to hear you on bass, Bud!

Good stuff you three, I'm a fan.
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Janice, Bud & Peter
Great song
Perfectly sung and played
Sounds just great
Great song title
Excellent work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks for the nice review Andi!

J&B
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/28/22 09:32 AM
Hi Janice and Bud and Peter,

So Janice, years ago you already met these mean men. you're still singing abouth them...
But you poured your experience with them in amazingly good songs. This is another example of that, or maybe one of the first.
Your voice seems to sound younger. Was the track from then used in this remix?
6 years ago I was joining the forum for the very first time. I think somewhere in september of that year. Anyway I missed it then and am glad to hear it now.

But I like this song very much! Beside the lovely vocals the bass did very well. You can hear you like to play it, Bud!
Peter also had some very nice -kind of- riffs and a solo (0n 1:21 for example) in the song that I really like.

In spite of that mean man story I still have a big smile on my face listening to it all,

Hans

Really great song y'all. I love the new parts you are mentioning.

It all sounds very rich and vibrant. The fact that it is a great song is obvious.

The production is totally pro.

Great one.

smile
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Yours was the first song I noticed when I came to the forum today, and I was hurrying to make my way to it. Love that moving bass, Bud. So excellent. Nothing like an upright. Outstanding lyrics sung by one of my favorite singers AND favorite humans. All y'all are. Strong piano opening, then that passionate voice takes control. WOW! Peter, you add such a fine touch of taste that is so perfect for the piece. Always. Bud, you know I love your mixes, but you may not know that I like to use your examples as a reference when I do mine. Thanks.

Thank you Marty for the time to listen and write such a positive review. Your support of us and encouragement on Bud’s bass is both generous and meaningful to us.

All you wrote is hugely appreciated!

J&B
What a great band you've got going on there J&B! Janice has got that country blues sound locked down and sounding great! Bud, you need to play more often on your tracks...you've got the goods on that upright! Peter's parts are tasty and spot on...sounds like an acoustic, which is just right for this tune! Enjoyed it!

Thanks, T
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J&B & Peter,
A simple, strong lyric idea the write explores well... and Janice bends the intensity as only she can.
Nice to hear Peter on those acoustic fills.
Fine mix.
Very much enjoyed!

Robert

That is much appreciated Robert!
Nice to see you back at the forum.

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/30/22 05:27 PM
Great to hear again.

That Voice! A Star. The world needs to know that.

Peter's guitar is a nice addition - great job.

Bud should be playing Bass on everything. And turn it UP for cryin'-out-load!!!!

Superb.

fj
Originally Posted By: RnAM
I am not sure if I heard the original before.

Sounds great! Particularly the voice inflections by Janice.

And Peter's contributions are always a pleasure to listen to.

Rob

Thanks for listening and commenting!

J&B
Janice and Bud - another great one. I never heard the original, but I don't see how it could compare to this. I echo all the comments regarding that bass, man it sure stands out and blends wonderfully with the feel of the song. Also another great job by Janice and Peter, and with the mix it makes it a perfectly polished sound. Thanks for giving us a chance to listen!
Posted By: firesong Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/31/22 07:16 PM
Janice, Bud and Peter...great sound and great song...Janice you shine as usual...I love the clarity and passion in your vocals...Peter, your guitar work is flawless and Bud, it takes a great arranger as well as lyricist to give life and structure to any tune to make it great and you are so talented at it...great job to all you guys!
Posted By: cubanpete Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 05/31/22 09:31 PM
Like all you guys do, this is no different, quality at it's best all around.

Mike B.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 06/01/22 08:19 AM
Janice, Bud & Peter,

This song is an absolute gem... Love the new version!

The upright bass is a standout - would love to hear this featured in other songs from you guys.

Bob
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool bass playing Bud. Gives the song such a cool feel. +1 on what Robert said. Love how Janice bends the notes. Loved the vocal. Peters playing was so very well done. So tastefully done. Super collaboration. Mix and masters was perfect..

Thanks Scott for those kind words. Bud much appreciates the bass mention. And yes Janice loves to bend those notes smile

J&B

Posted By: musician17 Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 06/02/22 02:23 AM
Janice, I have no idea how you achieve this, but you sound better and better with every song. Clear sound, crystal clear, direct and communicative. The lower register is growlingly beautiful, too ... and the middle and top registers just speak. Good job, Bud, on the mix, too ... the arrangement is just perfect for this song - well done, Peter.

One of my favourite Janice & Bud (and Peter!) songs ... and that's saying something. Listening to it again, now ... how Janice communicates these notes, as if it was the most natural thing in the world ... I want some of that magic sparkle for my own voice, haha ... any suggestions? ;-) Only joking, this kind of magic is quite unique to each musician, perhaps - but well done, you all have musical talent in spades, and boy does it show :-) Well done to all.
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Excellent!

Janice sounds perfect as usual, love that passion!

Great tone and tasteful playing from Peter, and always a treat to hear you on bass, Bud!

Good stuff you three, I'm a fan.

Thanks Dave! It was fun.

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 06/02/22 08:14 PM
Blues at its absolute best

Janice, outstanding vocal, as usual

Bud, super bass, mix, and production

Peter, as usual your guitar fits perfectly

This should be in the Alligator Music's catalog

Loved it
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Janice and Bud and Peter,

So Janice, years ago you already met these mean men. you're still singing abouth them...
But you poured your experience with them in amazingly good songs. This is another example of that, or maybe one of the first.
Your voice seems to sound younger. Was the track from then used in this remix?
6 years ago I was joining the forum for the very first time. I think somewhere in september of that year. Anyway I missed it then and am glad to hear it now.

But I like this song very much! Beside the lovely vocals the bass did very well. You can hear you like to play it, Bud!
Peter also had some very nice -kind of- riffs and a solo (0n 1:21 for example) in the song that I really like.

In spite of that mean man story I still have a big smile on my face listening to it all,

Hans

Thank you Hans. We’ve been married over 40 years so Janice was very young when she met those mean men smile Bud writes the lyric and Janice acts them out and then walks away from it!

Glad you liked it and thanks for the bass mention!

J&B
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 06/03/22 12:54 PM
J&B + Peter,
I was not around for the V1, but this is absolutely great! Deep soul sound. Stunning vocals by Janice. Love that upright! Peter's guitar a perfect fit. Very good mix. Congrats team and thank you or sharing.

Misha.
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Really great song y'all. I love the new parts you are mentioning.

It all sounds very rich and vibrant. The fact that it is a great song is obvious.

The production is totally pro.

Great one.

smile

Thank you David,

J&B
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
What a great band you've got going on there J&B! Janice has got that country blues sound locked down and sounding great! Bud, you need to play more often on your tracks...you've got the goods on that upright! Peter's parts are tasty and spot on...sounds like an acoustic, which is just right for this tune! Enjoyed it!

Thanks, T

Thank you Torrey for all the kind remarks and Bud appreciates the bass mention.
It was a fun redo!

J&B
Great Blues tune ... well played, well mixed, great production
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Great to hear again.

That Voice! A Star. The world needs to know that.

Peter's guitar is a nice addition - great job.

Bud should be playing Bass on everything. And turn it UP for cryin'-out-load!!!!

Superb.

fj

You are too kind mr Jane. And thanks for the bass comment. Just a little walking thumping line from my bluegrass days. Your vocal comment put a big smile on Janice’s face!

J&B
Posted By: PeterF Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 06/05/22 01:57 AM
Bud,

Thanks for resurrecting this one and I appreciate all the comments on my guitar parts in this production.

Peter
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Janice and Bud - another great one. I never heard the original, but I don't see how it could compare to this. I echo all the comments regarding that bass, man it sure stands out and blends wonderfully with the feel of the song. Also another great job by Janice and Peter, and with the mix it makes it a perfectly polished sound. Thanks for giving us a chance to listen!

Thanks for all. That is very kind of you.
And thanks for mentioning the bass.

J&B
Originally Posted By: firesong
Janice, Bud and Peter...great sound and great song...Janice you shine as usual...I love the clarity and passion in your vocals...Peter, your guitar work is flawless and Bud, it takes a great arranger as well as lyricist to give life and structure to any tune to make it great and you are so talented at it...great job to all you guys!

Thanks for making us all smile! We do appreciate it ... very much.

J&B
Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Like all you guys do, this is no different, quality at it's best all around.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike,

J&B

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Janice, Bud & Peter,

This song is an absolute gem... Love the new version!

The upright bass is a standout - would love to hear this featured in other songs from you guys.

Bob

Thank you Bob and Bud appreciates the bass mention!

J&B

Originally Posted By: musician17
Janice, I have no idea how you achieve this, but you sound better and better with every song. Clear sound, crystal clear, direct and communicative. The lower register is growlingly beautiful, too ... and the middle and top registers just speak. Good job, Bud, on the mix, too ... the arrangement is just perfect for this song - well done, Peter.

One of my favourite Janice & Bud (and Peter!) songs ... and that's saying something. Listening to it again, now ... how Janice Bcommunicates these notes, as if it was the most natural thing in the world ... I want some of that magic sparkle for my own voice, haha ... any suggestions? ;-) Only joking, this kind of magic is quite unique to each musician, perhaps - but well done, you all have musical talent in spades, and boy does it show :-) Well done to all.

Thanks for every word!

J&B

Bud would like to mention that after being married to Janice for 40+ and having played on stage with her in two bands he also hasn't a clue as to how she does it. I've never tuned her vocals, we don't cut/paste them and she typically does it in one take. She is so modest that I know she will not like me saying this publicly smile

Bud
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Blues at its absolute best

Janice, outstanding vocal, as usual

Bud, super bass, mix, and production

Peter, as usual your guitar fits perfectly

This should be in the Alligator Music's catalog

Loved it

Thank you Mario for the kind remarks and for mentioning the bass also!

J&B

I'm glad you resurrected this since I wasn't around for the first version.

That piano is an immediate draw.

I really like the lyrics.. Good one Bud.

Janice vocal sounds so smooth and effortless.
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 06/10/22 08:51 PM
Always good to revisit , a special time / recording !.

But none so as the forum suffers from real Talent guys !!,

so the best a can do is !!...push buddy !..push for new young blood to replace us guys !!.

Because . you where one of the posters who tried their heart out !!.!!

And succeeded !! .

Or at least hide the beast !!..
Posted By: beatmaster Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 06/10/22 09:06 PM
Nice one but need more !!
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
J&B + Peter,
I was not around for the V1, but this is absolutely great! Deep soul sound. Stunning vocals by Janice. Love that upright! Peter's guitar a perfect fit. Very good mix. Congrats team and thank you or sharing.

Misha.

Thank you Misha and Bud appreciates you mentioning the bass!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Great Blues tune ... well played, well mixed, great production

Thanks!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I'm glad you resurrected this since I wasn't around for the first version.

That piano is an immediate draw.

I really like the lyrics.. Good one Bud.

Janice vocal sounds so smooth and effortless.

Thanks for all. Glad you liked the piano!

And the lyric mention is much appreciated.

J&B
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Bud,

Thanks for resurrecting this one and I appreciate all the comments on my guitar parts in this production.

Peter

And that you for that guitar part!

J&B
J&B....

You two sure are a great team....along with your collaborators on this one. smile

This superbly done in all respects.
I have nothing to actually add to what's already been expressed.

Well done....have a great eve.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Soul Stealer (feat. Peter on guitar) - 06/11/22 10:04 PM
J&B (and Peter):

Boy, this is some cool, slick blues. You all do this genre so, so well. No comments or nits from me (as if!). Just hanging on the front patio, on a gorgeous evening, with a drink chilling . . . and this sets the mood so sweetly. Awesome tune!

Hope all is well in your worlds,

Deej
© PG Music Forums