PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan Wet Summer - 06/25/22 09:21 AM
Wet Summer

Here is my latest summer song, nothing serious, just some fun on the edge of ambiguity smile I doubled my voice with Synthesizer V Kevin and I think it worked quite well. Also, Synthesizer V Solaria joins in in the chorus.

RealDrums: RockTexas^1, FootStompReel^4, BodhranTradPolka
Loop: Acoustic, RockTomGrooveA-B Ev 120

1521:Bass, Electric, PopPower4s Ev 120
3351:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm SwampyBluesBrent Ev 095 [Multi-thickened]
876:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm NorthernRockFuzzyQuarters Sw16 075
635:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RootsRockDirty Ev 100
3310:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Metal12-key Wild Ev 120
3378:Mandolin, BackgroundSoloist OldTimeHappyDance Ev16 125
2692:Organ, Rhythm ModernPopSlowMike Ev 075
3064:Vocal Oohs, Rhythm Pop3-part Ev 085
3063:Vocal Aahs, Rhythm Pop3-part Ev 085
3522:Steel Drum, Rhythm IslandGroove Ev16 100

MIDI VSTi: Apocalypse Elements, Action Strikes/Big Metal Hits
Splash sound effect

Lead vocals by me and Synthesizer V Kevin
Backing vocals by Synthesizer V Kevin & Solaria

Lyrics:
This summer has no small drizzle on the weather maps
there's only heavy showers from the heavens' taps
The barrels are filled up and more are yet to come
the weatherwoman's words appease the thirsty chaps.

It's going to be summer summer summer very wet
pouring down like bloody marys
records will be broken
like once in the Canaries.
It's going to be summer summer summer very wet
feel the joy of liquid downing
records may be broken
in the number of drownings.

The weatherman has forecast no drynuary tale
the hygrometer will be running out of scale
the throat is no more dry, the lips are dripping wet
before the holidays we have to start to bail.

It's going to be summer...

Lightning in my eyes and thunder in my head
the host of our long wet summer lifts the spirits up
Donnerwetter! Jägermeister! Praise his strongest shots
we and meteorologists shall tilt the brimful cup.

It's going to be summer...
------------------
Janne
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Wet Summer - 06/25/22 10:29 AM
Strong driving song. I love that "fun on the edge of ambiguity." Yes, the vocals really make it, Janne. Interesting and perfect choice of a mandolin for the solo. When I look at all the instruments in there, I could expect some clutter, but you did an amazing job of bringing everything in and out to make the song quite interesting. Also, wonderful use and timing on the sound effects. The melody for those cool lyrics is sometimes right with the strong 1-2 feel, then at other times it's so free. I like the steel drums at the end.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Wet Summer - 06/25/22 11:15 AM
Hello Janne
this is a cool crazy song
The sound is bombastic
My whole living room was vibrating ;-)
So many great details you put in.
Of course I like the hard rock guitar solo best ;-))))
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: MarioD Re: Wet Summer - 06/25/22 07:45 PM
WOW who would have thunk it? Human and androids singing together!

The vocal effects are outstanding.... how did you think of that?

Great backing band - love those leads!

Outstanding mix and super ending!

Loved it
Posted By: RnAM Re: Wet Summer - 06/25/22 07:54 PM
Janne,

That doubling of your voice works great.

This fondly reminds us of Per Gessle's The Look.

We think that's good smile

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: SterlingHolobyte Re: Wet Summer - 06/26/22 12:04 AM
I like it! It has somewhat of an 80's vibe to me, so I really like that. cool

Plus it's a fun summer song. Who can't like that?!

The chord changes on the chorus are neat too.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Wet Summer - 06/26/22 01:02 PM
Wow very different song Janne. Cool groove to the song. Loved the driving verse. Super vocal and effects. Well done
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 06/27/22 01:45 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Strong driving song. I love that "fun on the edge of ambiguity." Yes, the vocals really make it, Janne. Interesting and perfect choice of a mandolin for the solo. When I look at all the instruments in there, I could expect some clutter, but you did an amazing job of bringing everything in and out to make the song quite interesting. Also, wonderful use and timing on the sound effects. The melody for those cool lyrics is sometimes right with the strong 1-2 feel, then at other times it's so free. I like the steel drums at the end.

Thanks Marty for your nice comment smile Maybe a fiddle could have been a better choice for the solo, but I'm glad you liked the mandolin. About the clutter, I think the mix is bit cluttered, because I didn't have time and patience to bring up the micro chord changes of the baritone guitar as clearly as I wanted, maybe I'll work on that issue later.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 06/27/22 01:47 PM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Janne
this is a cool crazy song
The sound is bombastic
My whole living room was vibrating ;-)
So many great details you put in.
Of course I like the hard rock guitar solo best ;-))))
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks Andi for your delightful comment smile Glad to make your room vibrate laugh If the song had been longer, I could have used the hard rock guitar more wink

Janne
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Wet Summer - 06/28/22 01:12 PM
Great job with that vocal synth Janne! This is a powerful driving tune with a super mix! I think this is one of your best sounding track IMHO!
Love the melodic flow and the octave vocal work is effective! Sounds great! Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: rayc Re: Wet Summer - 06/28/22 09:56 PM
The backing is BIG and rockin'.
Not fussed on the squalling guitar part but it does suit the weather theme I suppose.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 06/29/22 02:28 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
WOW who would have thunk it? Human and androids singing together!

The vocal effects are outstanding.... how did you think of that?

Great backing band - love those leads!

Outstanding mix and super ending!

Loved it

Thanks Mario for your kind comment smile Maybe one day human and androids could also drink beer together wink Glad you liked the ending.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 06/29/22 02:33 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Janne,

That doubling of your voice works great.

This fondly reminds us of Per Gessle's The Look.

We think that's good smile

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks Rob and Anne-Marie for your nice comment smile Per Gessle, thanks for reference, I have listened to Roxette and even his earlier band Gyllene Tider, maybe I've got influenced smile

Janne
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Wet Summer - 06/30/22 11:50 PM
Janne,

Right out the gate, the percussion grabbed me—nice use of the RT Drums. Your lead vocals coupled with the vocaloid creates a really interesting sound that engages the ear more you listen. I’m wondering whether the vocals could sit back a bit more in the mix . . . but maybe not. A few folks have used the term “driving” to describe the tune . . . I agree . . . it really moves you forward. Like the abrupt end—fitting for the tune.

Good stuff!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 07/03/22 09:32 AM
Originally Posted By: SterlingHolobyte
I like it! It has somewhat of an 80's vibe to me, so I really like that. cool

Plus it's a fun summer song. Who can't like that?!

The chord changes on the chorus are neat too.

Thanks for your nice comment smile I'm a child of the 80's when it comes to music, so it doesn't surprise me that the song might sound like one from that era laugh Glad you liked the chord changes, I used micro chords on the baritone guitar, a very nice feature to add something extra to certain instruments.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 07/03/22 09:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow very different song Janne. Cool groove to the song. Loved the driving verse. Super vocal and effects. Well done

Thanks Scott for your positive feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 07/03/22 09:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Great job with that vocal synth Janne! This is a powerful driving tune with a super mix! I think this is one of your best sounding track IMHO!
Love the melodic flow and the octave vocal work is effective! Sounds great! Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey for your rewarding feedback smile I'm really glad you liked the mix, difficult to get the balance right when there are many guitars playing.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Wet Summer - 07/04/22 05:00 PM
“Lightning in my eyes and thunder in my head”

The above is one of many lines that grabbed our attention, Janne.

You have a good thing going here with yours, Kevin’s and Solaria’s vocals. It sounds good!

The mandolin solo reminded us of the “pitter patter” sound of rain.

Well done!

J&B

PS. We are surrounded by thunderstorms as we listen to this and we are hoping for some much needed rain.

Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 07/06/22 02:12 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
The backing is BIG and rockin'.
Not fussed on the squalling guitar part but it does suit the weather theme I suppose.

Thanks Ray for your nice comment smile Yes, that guitar represents both thunder and hangover smile

Janne
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Wet Summer - 07/07/22 05:47 AM
Cool stuff, Janne, the blend of your voice with the synth voice works really well I think.

Good song, enjoyed!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Wet Summer - 07/07/22 04:31 PM
Man that sounds like typical summer in NC. So hot and humid you sweat just sitting in the shade.

Cool song. I liked what you did with the vox. And quite creative lyrically.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 07/08/22 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
Right out the gate, the percussion grabbed me—nice use of the RT Drums. Your lead vocals coupled with the vocaloid creates a really interesting sound that engages the ear more you listen. I’m wondering whether the vocals could sit back a bit more in the mix . . . but maybe not. A few folks have used the term “driving” to describe the tune . . . I agree . . . it really moves you forward. Like the abrupt end—fitting for the tune.

Good stuff!

All my best,

Deej

Thanks Deej for your kind feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 07/08/22 01:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
“Lightning in my eyes and thunder in my head”

The above is one of many lines that grabbed our attention, Janne.

You have a good thing going here with yours, Kevin’s and Solaria’s vocals. It sounds good!

The mandolin solo reminded us of the “pitter patter” sound of rain.

Well done!

J&B

PS. We are surrounded by thunderstorms as we listen to this and we are hoping for some much needed rain.

Thanks Janice and Bud, I really appreciate your nice comment smile I hope you'll get enough rain, but not too much thunder (or headache after too many shots like described on the line you mentioned wink )

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 07/10/22 02:20 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Cool stuff, Janne, the blend of your voice with the synth voice works really well I think.

Good song, enjoyed!

Thanks Dave for your kind comment, glad you liked the combination of my voice and Kevin's smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 07/10/22 02:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Man that sounds like typical summer in NC. So hot and humid you sweat just sitting in the shade.

Cool song. I liked what you did with the vox. And quite creative lyrically.

Thanks Herb for your kind feedback smile I hope the song (or some refreshing beverage) cooled you while listening laugh

Janne
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Wet Summer - 07/19/22 09:32 PM
Great heavy sound in this one Janne!!! Love the drums and lead guitar!! Your melodies are always fresh and interesting! Nice work!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Wet Summer - 07/20/22 10:35 AM
Hey Janne,

I thought I heard Thor was jamming the drums. Heavy sound and so other than your former songs.
But so interesting. I liked all the vocals in it (your doubles, the AI woman) and together.
When I saw that line: "we and meteorologists shall tilt the brimful cup" I think you had to to sing it a couple of times before getting it right, right? What a tongue breaking word for a non- Englishmen. and it would have break mine for sure. Sometimes I need some of these difficult words and I had to sing them over and over some 100 times before they sound right. How did you inform the AI lady to do this, or no, you sang it alone...

But about the summer. It isn't wet. It's dry and hot. Or not with you?

Love your song, Janne,
Hans
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 07/20/22 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great heavy sound in this one Janne!!! Love the drums and lead guitar!! Your melodies are always fresh and interesting! Nice work!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg for your positive feedback smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: Wet Summer - 07/20/22 01:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
I thought I heard Thor was jamming the drums. Heavy sound and so other than your former songs.
But so interesting. I liked all the vocals in it (your doubles, the AI woman) and together.
When I saw that line: "we and meteorologists shall tilt the brimful cup" I think you had to to sing it a couple of times before getting it right, right? What a tongue breaking word for a non- Englishmen. and it would have break mine for sure. Sometimes I need some of these difficult words and I had to sing them over and over some 100 times before they sound right. How did you inform the AI lady to do this, or no, you sang it alone...

But about the summer. It isn't wet. It's dry and hot. Or not with you?

Love your song, Janne,
Hans

Thanks Hans for your nice comment smile Glad you liked all the vocals. I usually sing along with the synthesized vocal track which I have already made, so the words come quite naturally even on the first try.

Not too hot in here, yet. Not very wet either, but some rain showers recently. You've had record-breaking temperatures there? Maybe I didn't express it clearly enough, but "wet" in this song means more drinks than rain (well, this summer hasn't been "wet" either in this regard) laugh

Janne
© PG Music Forums