PG Music Home
Posted By: rayc Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/03/22 01:02 AM
Hello folks,
Something I started a few weeks back and thought I'd better move along with.
This is a DEFINITE case of needing a good vocalist - I can't sing loudly at present so can't even get the best of my worst done.
Nevertheless I've drafted the vocal and the unison/harmony parts and will see what comes of it.
I took inspiration from the type of chord changes & progressions The Zombies used as well as other 60s Invasion bands.

Z CARS (ZED for the non Brit based speakers)

Lyrically it riffs on British Police Procedural Dramas from the 60s to now.
UPDATE
...based on Torrey's suggestion
Z CARS 0407

Z CARS

Quilley's Zephyr's ready
Stane provides the back up
Task Force holding steady

Vera can't solve this
Even Morse is clueless
Gently's softly softly
Annika made a real mess

Z Cars help me
I'm losing
Someone's trying to steal
Trying to steal my baby.

Fast response patrol
Waiting at the road side
Banks is in control

Lewis can't solve this
The Sweeney is useless
Foyle' softly softly
Maigret made a real mess

Z Cars help me
I'm dying
Someone's taking
Taking my baby.

Z Victory One
Lynch has lost all sign
Get me Dalziel's (Dee Ell)
On the line

SOLO

Z Cars help me
Stop cruisin'
Trying to steal my baby.

Z Victory Two
Get Barlow on the line
So everything will be fine

Pascoe's on the case
Calling in the Old Tricks
All cars in the chase

Z Cars help me
I'm losing
Trying to steal my baby.

The band:
DRUMS RockHard^03
ORGAN 3993 Solo Blues Funky Even Charles & another in the background
Vantage Bass
HB Elec 12 String
Squire Mustang 6 string
Marshall amp
ACTONE amp in a box
Behringer BDI21 bass DI
Focusrite condensor mic
SSL2 interface
REAPER
Four hand clap tracks (unsuccessful still)

Any comments, suggestions and pannings are welcome as this is a work in progress.

Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/03/22 04:46 PM
Ray,

That is one cool sounding tune with a true Brit vibe! Love the melodic change for the B section! I like your vocals...they sound great to me!
As for the hand claps that you seem to be still working with, I would find at least one single bar section that is hitting directly on the beat and copy it then delete the others and paste the perfect one in their place. I do that stuff all the time! I like this tune!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/03/22 04:57 PM
I agree with Torrey, nothing wrong with your vocals. I wish I could sing half as good !
And yep, I hear a 60's invaision sound, good job.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/03/22 08:39 PM
Ray, your vocals are a hell of a lot better than mine

Good vocal

Great mix

Definitely a a 60's groove and sound

Two thumbs up
Posted By: rayc Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/04/22 12:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Ray,

That is one cool sounding tune with a true Brit vibe! Love the melodic change for the B section! I like your vocals...they sound great to me!
As for the hand claps that you seem to be still working with, I would find at least one single bar section that is hitting directly on the beat and copy it then delete the others and paste the perfect one in their place. I do that stuff all the time! I like this tune!

Thanks, Torrey

Ta Torrey,
I reckon a good selling pop voice could make this work.
Nevertheless, I started on your suggestion regarding the claps...as I was proceeding I noted that the claps were pretty well on time but uneven in tone. I decided to drag out my old mid 80s drum machine to see if it still worked and try the handclaps in it.
WOW, the thing powered on AND worked. I did one run through of manually tapped claps and the difference was astounding - it was the lack of consistent tone & level that made the difference. I've added two drum machine hand clap tracks to the four human ones and they all tie together quite nicely - thanks for sending me in that direction!!!!
Posted By: rayc Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/04/22 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
I agree with Torrey, nothing wrong with your vocals. I wish I could sing half as good !
And yep, I hear a 60's invaision sound, good job.

Thanks Thump.
It's a lot faster than the era would suggest but that's what worked best.
Posted By: rayc Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/04/22 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Ray, your vocals are a hell of a lot better than mine
Good vocal
Great mix
Definitely a a 60's groove and sound
Two thumbs up

Thanks Mario,
Two thumbs wiggling!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/04/22 09:58 AM
Yep. Torrey speaks for me here, too, Ray. I dig your vocal in there and the clapping could be quantized. hehe. The Zombies-sped-up-a-bit is a good thing and you captured the vibe perfectly. Those lyrics could be a whole semester of a good class on analyzing the esoteric. The redo with Torrey's suggestion is much tighter, and the vocal seems more present. I really like the vocal, Ray.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/04/22 12:01 PM
Very Donovan, very Beatles.
Love the organ solo as well.
Although your voice sounds definitely OK with us at the moment , it might be worth while to record it again when you've got the feeling your voice is in a better shape.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/04/22 05:36 PM
ray,

A cool sound (as always). Interesting lyrics (as always).
I like your vocal (a lot).
The organ solo is nice.
Good mix (I thought the drums could be louder).

fj
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/09/22 07:24 PM
I don't know much about the content although I have seen some recent Brit cop shows on Netflix.

Sounds like a hybrid of 60s and 80s: the chord changes and instrumentation (love the organ, especially the end) 60s, and the melody and vocal very 80s. Delightful song overall.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Z CARS draft Pygmy Beat Extended - 07/09/22 10:36 PM
I am with Torrey on this one. I think the vocal is excellent on this song. Super range. Very cool song.
© PG Music Forums