PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/03/22 09:28 PM
I Got The Blues During Happy Hour

A fun song looking for a good singer. This song started a few months ago. I just got it as presentable as I could.

The intro started in BiaB using the micro chords, however I couldn't get them to play perfectly so I took my best attempt, brought it into my DAW, got the timing the way I wanted and copy and pasted them through out the song. I went back to BiaB and generated another part of the song and copy and pasted them in my DAW. I then arranged those two parts into this song.

Unfortunately CRS set in and I forgot to save the BiaB file so I don't know what style I actually used.

Bass = Ample Bass - preset Ying Yang
Strings - UVI work station - B3 - slightly modified to better fit the song
Drums - Steven Slate SSD5 - Preset Classic Angry Rock
Piano - Kontakt-Chris Hiens Harmonica
Me- Vocals, rhythm and lead guitars and via my keyboard controller the blues harp leads (Kontakt-Chris Hiens Harmonica) and the backing vocals (EastWest Play - Backup Singers)

I Got The Blues During Happy Hour

V-My divorce became final today
All I gotta do is pay and pay
she got the house the car the kids and the cat
she got the elevator I got the shaft so that is

C-why
Yes that is why
I got the blues
During happy hour

V-I'm sitting at this redneck bar
I walked here cause I ain't got no car
A lovely lady sat down next to me
Wow, she used to be a he and that is

C-why
Yes that is why
I got the blues
During happy hour

V-a cute young thing entered the bar
I wonder what my chances are
I got the courage and walked across the floor
I said what's your sign She said exit, and walked out the door and that's

C-why
Yes that is why
I got the blues
During happy hour
Posted By: rayc Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/04/22 05:02 AM
That's a fun one Mario.
The vocal suits the song really well.
The band is cool - though I hear the bass as a bit iffy.
I particularly enjoyed your lead playing.
Posted By: musician17 Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/04/22 05:24 AM
STANDING OVATION, from me. This song just shines, alongside (and, in no small part, due to) your brilliant sense of humour.

One VERY small quibble: do you think it'd be a good idea to bring that voice of yours more forward in the mix? It's getting lost in the mix at the moment, to my ears, and that'd be a real pity, as I think it sounds great, but badly (in my view, at least) needs to come forward, with confidence, and take the song by the scruff of the neck, so to speak :-)

One of the ones I enjoyed the most, from you, and you know I really like all of the songs, tracks, etc., you post on here. I can't stop smiling, now :-) Nice one :-)
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/04/22 09:37 AM
Man, you are such a fun guy, Mario. Glad to hear you got your good singer. Love these lyrics. You mention 3 of the best things that can bring on the blues at happy hour. You are, of course, using the word blues in its most colloquial or plebian way. We musicians, of course, love getting the blues at happy hour. I really enjoy your talent, Mario.
Posted By: RnAM Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/04/22 11:46 AM
Hi Mario,
Wow, a "Mario song" with vocals.
Very, very nice and great lyrics!
"She used to be a he" hahaha ....
Great lead and harmonica.
Enjoyed!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/04/22 05:16 PM
Mario,

HA! Fun.

Vocals sound good to me.
And I rather like that bass.

Well done.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/05/22 12:33 AM
Excellent tune Mario. I had the exact opposite happen to me. I got rid of the blues after happy hour lol. Excellent vocal. Loved the guitar. Very cool licks. Really cool backtrack. Well done..
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/05/22 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
That's a fun one Mario.
The vocal suits the song really well.
The band is cool - though I hear the bass as a bit iffy.
I particularly enjoyed your lead playing.

Ray thanx for listening and commenting. The bass part is straight out of BiaB. What did you mean by a little iffy?
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/05/22 12:05 PM
Originally Posted By: musician17
STANDING OVATION, from me. This song just shines, alongside (and, in no small part, due to) your brilliant sense of humour.

One VERY small quibble: do you think it'd be a good idea to bring that voice of yours more forward in the mix? It's getting lost in the mix at the moment, to my ears, and that'd be a real pity, as I think it sounds great, but badly (in my view, at least) needs to come forward, with confidence, and take the song by the scruff of the neck, so to speak :-)

One of the ones I enjoyed the most, from you, and you know I really like all of the songs, tracks, etc., you post on here. I can't stop smiling, now :-) Nice one :-)

Thanx James!

I have absolutely no confidence in my singing ability. I guess it shows!
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/05/22 12:08 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Man, you are such a fun guy, Mario. Glad to hear you got your good singer. Love these lyrics. You mention 3 of the best things that can bring on the blues at happy hour. You are, of course, using the word blues in its most colloquial or plebian way. We musicians, of course, love getting the blues at happy hour. I really enjoy your talent, Mario.

Thanx so much Marty. I'm not sure about that good singer remark though. Around here any PM hour can be a happy hour. Actually sometimes many happy hours!
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/05/22 12:11 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Mario,
Wow, a "Mario song" with vocals.
Very, very nice and great lyrics!
"She used to be a he" hahaha ....
Great lead and harmonica.
Enjoyed!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Rob and Anne-Marie, thanx so much for those very nice comments. I'm glad that you liked this song and the humor. Life is way to short not to laugh every day.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/05/22 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mario,

HA! Fun.

Vocals sound good to me.
And I rather like that bass.

Well done.

fj

Thanx so much Floyd. I am not a very good singer but I like the way this one came out.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/05/22 12:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent tune Mario. I had the exact opposite happen to me. I got rid of the blues after happy hour lol. Excellent vocal. Loved the guitar. Very cool licks. Really cool backtrack. Well done..

Thanx Scott for this kind review. I appreciate it.
Posted By: firesong Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/05/22 02:48 PM
Mario...great title and concept...terrific blues delivery...I think the vocals could come up and maybe the drums but other than that great job! Cool song!!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/05/22 04:53 PM
Mario

The award winner for song title of the month! Another entertaining and fun song from you! You are one the handful of people here that always put a smile on my face when I hit play! Keep on rockin'

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/05/22 05:00 PM
As Bud said, "Man oh man do I wish I'd come up with that notion. Happy Hour Blues Yeah!"

But, hey, you took your notion, wrote a cool lyric around it, gave it a good dose of the multi-talented Mario and voila ... a most cool blues tune indeed.

Great performances all the way around ... love the axe and, hey, don't sell yourself short on the vocals!

Fun.

J&B
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/06/22 09:12 AM
Fun stuff, Mario!

"she got the elevator I got the shaft", great line!

Great groove, band sounds good, especially the lead guitar work.

Nice!
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/06/22 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Mario...great title and concept...terrific blues delivery...I think the vocals could come up and maybe the drums but other than that great job! Cool song!!

Thanx for listening and those suggestions.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/06/22 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Mario

The award winner for song title of the month! Another entertaining and fun song from you! You are one the handful of people here that always put a smile on my face when I hit play! Keep on rockin'

Thanks, Torrey

I'm glad that I could make you smile with this little ditty.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/06/22 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
As Bud said, "Man oh man do I wish I'd come up with that notion. Happy Hour Blues Yeah!"

But, hey, you took your notion, wrote a cool lyric around it, gave it a good dose of the multi-talented Mario and voila ... a most cool blues tune indeed.

Great performances all the way around ... love the axe and, hey, don't sell yourself short on the vocals!

Fun.

J&B

Thanx so much J&B. Feel free to record a Happy Hour Blues. I know Janice's vocal would be outstanding, as always.
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/06/22 04:37 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Fun stuff, Mario!

"she got the elevator I got the shaft", great line!

Great groove, band sounds good, especially the lead guitar work.

Nice!

Thanx so much Dave. I'm glad you liked it.
Posted By: Al-David Re: I Got The Blues During Happy Hour - 07/06/22 05:55 PM
Het Mario ...

When I listen to your music, depending on the style, I'm always smiling or sitting in wonder of your musical talents. I listened tot his yesterday but ran out of time to comment. What a great listen ... totally loved it! My grandfather once said "When something is really good but you just can't explain why, you know it's not just good - it's damn good - too good for words." I thought of him as I listened. Nice!

Alan
© PG Music Forums