PG Music Home
Posted By: firesong He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/11/22 03:52 PM
Hey guys...this is stepping out of my normal folk/country style but...I had a crazy notion to record an album of songs in a concert format...though at that time I was retired from live concert venues...so I did a fantasy project (just for me mostly) and called it "Virtually LIVE!"...it's just me with some virtual bandmates and a virtual audience...sounds like vanity but fun none-the-less...this song is from that project.

I only used one BiaB track (added a few years later)...that may mean it doesn't belong on this forum...but...like others I can't resist.

I've anguished over this mix for a week now and remixed it several times...so...please let me know if you smell anything wrong or would fix anything...though I know that mixing is a very subjective artform...anyway...if you do...thanks for listening...Dan

He Is God
https://soundclick.com/r/s536u8

BiaB track: Rhythm Electric Guitar (Forgot to save the BiaB track info...sorry!)

I added: Vocals and BGVs
I played: Piano, Fretless bass, B3 Organ (all via a Yamaha Tyros 5) Lead synth Guitar (via a Roland Ax-7 controller thru the Tyros)
I programmed: Drums and Acoustic guitars in a Yamaha Genos)
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/11/22 04:12 PM
Really nice. Ear candy in the cans.
Posted By: MarioD Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/11/22 08:25 PM
Fantastic!

Outstanding vocal and lyrics!
Great message!

Great mix!

God gave you many talents my friend.

Loved it.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/11/22 11:46 PM
Hi Firesong,

Good song - I really enjoyed the vocals.

Mix sounds spot on.

Excellent

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/12/22 08:36 AM
"Sometimes...", but always a good song from you, Dan. It's not just your outstanding vocals, but you write such good songs to sing. So well produced, too.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/12/22 04:32 PM
Dan,

I'm typing as I listen, and I think you really gave this a live feel! I think if the drums had a slight bit more reverb on them it would add to the live feel! The vocals are so great as always...but man they sound extra good here! This is a great song that has a bluesy/pop/soul vibe to it! You do high level work every time and I can't fault one single thing in this production!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/13/22 01:20 AM
Fantastic song. I simply love your writing. The vocals are always strong. I liked your idea of making a virtually live album. Sounds like a lot of work, but fun. The production made me close my eyes and feel like I was right there, about 3 rows back and in the middle section. Great sound!
Posted By: JONA Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/13/22 06:57 AM
Vow, i loved this right from the beginning.
And the guitar tune is great

Jona
Posted By: rayc Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/13/22 07:08 AM
The sound works pretty well for a live feel though the kick drum stands out as being a bit unrealistic.
Is there a gentle reverb across the mix to place it in a room?
I hear space on your vocal and the occasional fill but with the piano marking out the extreme left it's hard to imagine a hall wall beyond it.
When you dig into you strong chest voice it gets a little harsh or triggers the delay/reverb a bit too strongly.
I'd suggest pulling the piano in from the left a little and experimenting with a gentle & very minimal use of a hall reverb or delay across the entire mix.
I'm not a fan of the canned applause but it does help with the illusion...would do more so it it came in a little after a solo or particularly profound line that has some space.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/13/22 07:59 AM
You are pro at this. I sometimes I don't take time to post but I always try to listen when I see you've posted because I enjoy every facet of your productions. I enjoyed my listen.

Charlie
Posted By: firesong Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/13/22 12:54 PM
Hey Guys...my sincere thanks for all the comments...thanks Herb, Mario, Nigel, Brad, Jona, and Charlie...your responses to "He Is God" are both gracious and humbling...each one is very encouraging to me as a songwriter and producer...much appreciated...Dan
Posted By: firesong Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/13/22 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Dan,

I'm typing as I listen, and I think you really gave this a live feel! I think if the drums had a slight bit more reverb on them it would add to the live feel! The vocals are so great as always...but man they sound extra good here! This is a great song that has a bluesy/pop/soul vibe to it! You do high level work every time and I can't fault one single thing in this production!

Thanks, Torrey

Torrey...you're always so kind and encouraging with your comments and I value them greatly...I went back and remixed for about the hundredth time (or so it seems)...I worked on the drum tracks...tried to unmuddy the kick and boosted the snare and cymbals in the higher frequencies for a crisper cleaner sound and put a touch of reverb on them...I think they sound better and fit the space a bit better...thanks for the tip...Dan
Posted By: firesong Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/13/22 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
The sound works pretty well for a live feel though the kick drum stands out as being a bit unrealistic.
Is there a gentle reverb across the mix to place it in a room?

I hear space on your vocal and the occasional fill but with the piano marking out the extreme left it's hard to imagine a hall wall beyond it.
When you dig into you strong chest voice it gets a little harsh or triggers the delay/reverb a bit too strongly.
I'd suggest pulling the piano in from the left a little and experimenting with a gentle & very minimal use of a hall reverb or delay across the entire mix.
I'm not a fan of the canned applause but it does help with the illusion...would do more so it it came in a little after a solo or particularly profound line that has some space.

Ray...thanks so much for you comments...I really appreciate your suggestions...though I did not do all of them, I did work on the kick....it may have sounded "unrealistic" because it was an electronic kit that I used on this track...anyway, I did some work to pull it down and take some of the mud out of it...and I added a "smidgen" of reverb on the entire mix (a concert hall patch from my Valhalla Reverb software) to set it in a concert environment...the rest of your suggestions were great but I chose to stick with what I had though I did basically remix the entire track...again I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to listen, evaluate and share your thoughts...many thanks...Dan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/13/22 03:04 PM
Dan,

The vocals are the standout on this one. Well done.
Nice melody.

Tracks are well done. Nice melodic guitar leads.
The drum track has a "canned" sound. Would be nice to hear a BIAB replacement there....

Good job.

fj
Posted By: firesong Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/14/22 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dan,

The vocals are the standout on this one. Well done.
Nice melody.

Tracks are well done. Nice melodic guitar leads.
The drum track has a "canned" sound. Would be nice to hear a BIAB replacement there....

Good job.

fj

Floyd...Thanks for your comments and thoughts...I may experiment with some BiaB drum tracks and see how they fit...thanks again.
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/14/22 01:38 PM
Not surprisingly, I really like this Firesong! All of your songs touch me and they're always high quality.
Posted By: firesong Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/14/22 02:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Not surprisingly, I really like this Firesong! All of your songs touch me and they're always high quality.

Thank you Dewey...that's the highest compliment I could receive...Dan
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/14/22 09:17 PM
Really pretty song, and a great vocal delivery and mix!! Well done!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Deej56 Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/14/22 11:58 PM
Firesong,

If you were shooting for a live feel to this song, you totally nailed it. Your vocal is wonderful . . . the way you have it sitting in the mix, the reverb you have on the music bed . . . yeah, I feel like I’m about a dozen rows back watching the band do its thing. Impressive song and mix!

All my best,

Deej
Posted By: firesong Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/15/22 11:49 PM
Greg and Deej...thank you guys for your comments...I really appreciate you taking time to listen and share...I value very much...Dan
Posted By: Scott C Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/16/22 08:18 PM
Very cool format Dan. Would have loved to see you sing this song live. Loved the room reverb. Super vocal. Well done.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/17/22 05:46 AM
Hello Dan
I can really only applaud
Very very good
So much detail in the background track
The slightly distorted guitar in the background - awesome !!!!
So much fun to listen to.
Am really impressed with your talent
Looking forward to your next song
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: firesong Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/18/22 12:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Very cool format Dan. Would have loved to see you sing this song live. Loved the room reverb. Super vocal. Well done.

Scott...thanks for your comments...this song was never performed live and most likely never will be...the forum gives songs like these and audience for a short time at least...thanks again...Dan
Posted By: firesong Re: He Is God (Virtually LIVE!) - 07/18/22 12:40 AM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Dan
I can really only applaud
Very very good
So much detail in the background track
The slightly distorted guitar in the background - awesome !!!!
So much fun to listen to.
Am really impressed with your talent
Looking forward to your next song
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Andi...again I appreciate your thoughts...I love to fill them up...sometimes I don't know when to quit...seems to have worked this time...thanks again...Dan
© PG Music Forums