PG Music Home
Posted By: Scott C Heatwave - 08/02/22 10:43 PM
We are experiencing a bit of a heat wave here in Canada again this summer. After a wet July the heat has been hovering in the 30C and the forest fires are becoming more frequent. BC is getting hit again after a terrible summer of fires and flood last year.

Heat Wave

Key=E , Tempo 95, Length (m:s)=2:51
No intro. 64 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 64. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _SHOO.STY (Shoo Doo-Wop 8-Part Vocals)

RealTracks in style: ~2475:Bass, Acoustic, HeldSimple Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1837:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGrooveHeld Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 3777:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm VintagePopArp Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 4104:Vocal, Rhythm Doo-WopPop8ths Ev 085
RealDrums [in style:ClapOffbeat: a: ClapOffbeatb: ClapOffbeat
Define e substyle WAG Rock and Rock

Added some synth and guitar tracks.
Mixed and Mastered in Studio One 5.
Posted By: rayc Re: Heatwave - 08/03/22 12:31 AM
Shooby Doo followed by wailing was a little weird but it built tension that was released at the change which was nicely done.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Heatwave - 08/03/22 03:37 AM
Hi Scott ...

That was interesting - in a good way. That was quite a change there in the middle. Very creative. This might be the fullest soundscape I've heard from you in quite some time. As always, enjoyed very much. Stay cool!

Alan
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Heatwave - 08/03/22 03:54 AM
Nothing normal or predictable about this piece. Perhaps that's why it works so well. Very creative. smile
Posted By: Billybmusic Re: Heatwave - 08/03/22 12:12 PM
The songwriter in me says this would be a fun challenge to write too. So that being said its a cool feel and musically tells an interesting story. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: Heatwave - 08/03/22 12:54 PM
Very cool changeover. I like songs that added fresh surprises!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Heatwave - 08/03/22 01:44 PM
Thanks Ray for checking out the song. Was auditioning different really track for each piece and the shoo-wops popped up so into the cake they went. Really glad you liked the song..
Posted By: musician17 Re: Heatwave - 08/03/22 02:59 PM
Brilliant. A top, top musician at work. The changes in styles may be strange to some, perhaps, but they work - and nothing else matters, of course. I only wish it didn't end so soon, but this is truly excellent. I'm listening to it again - which means that I truly loved it. Congrats!
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Heatwave - 08/04/22 01:21 PM
Hi Scott
Really good song
Great played
Sounds really good
Both thumbs up
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Heatwave - 08/04/22 02:39 PM
Scott,

Nice!

The change-up was cool! I like the use of claps and aahs...

Nice pickin'

Good mix. A good listen.

fj
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Heatwave - 08/04/22 09:17 PM
Scott,

I definitely a different type of tune, but coll sounding nonetheless! You did an excellent job with this! Love when the guitar comes in a with a great tone!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: firesong Re: Heatwave - 08/05/22 12:16 AM
Scott...hope you're staying cool cause this is a cool tune...I'd feel sorry for you if I knew what 30C was...oh thanks google...it's 86 degrees Fahrenheit...wow!...it was 103 degrees F at my house two weeks ago (that's 89.44 C) but I am a bit closer to the equator...I thought this was going to be a country song at first and then this blues guy jumped in and took over for a bit...I think I liked the blues dude better...but the country guy saved himself at the end...as usual you amaze me as a guitarist and you've created another great tune to listen to...thanks...Dan
Posted By: rsdean Re: Heatwave - 08/05/22 07:29 AM
Scott,

Love the changes in this - excellent tune!

Bob
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Heatwave - 08/05/22 09:38 AM
Man, excellent use of BiaB, Scott. I always enjoy your playing with style and taste and extraordinary technique, but this was the first time I barely noticed you for the first minute and a half. But that subtle guitar really made me sit up and pay attention on the 2nd listen. I really like the way you developed this tune and how you filled it with a terrific supporting cast. This is by far the coolest thing to come out of that heat wave.
Posted By: jannesan Re: Heatwave - 08/05/22 01:11 PM
Very very interesting arrangement, from gospel to blues and back, BIAB really gives possibilities for experimenting and you have really used it creatively. I really enjoyed the guitar playing on top of the tune, like ice cream cooling the southern hot feel of the band.

Janne
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Heatwave - 08/05/22 02:23 PM
Interesting and nice..... I liked that groove in the middle. That was really nice.

Heat wave..... cold wave.... I guess it all depends on one's POV. I've noticed the TV news down here in the Carolina's are all using what they call a "feels like" temperature since telling you that it's 93 degrees F doesn't sound quite as dramatic as saying it "feels like" it's 107 outside today. BTW..... mid 90's is normal for this area and a few days of upper 90's and some 3 digit day peaks are not unheard of..... but I realize that 80 degrees can be a heat wave depending on where you are.... Right now, I wouldn't mind a few days of one of those "Canadian Clippers" coming through..... and a few inches of snow with it.
Posted By: vicarn Re: Heatwave - 08/05/22 03:26 PM
I like the changes.
Makes life interesting.

Vic
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Heatwave - 08/05/22 06:42 PM
Nice pickin' Scott, and loved the tone you've got on that guitar. Being from California, I'm familiar with wild fires. They can sure make for a long, hot summer. With all that smoke and ash in the air it gets pretty hard to even breathe. I guess you're just gonna have to stay inside and record some more music ... aww shucks. Lookin' forward to it!
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Heatwave - 08/05/22 07:24 PM
Nice tune with a nice change up. Good arrangement and performance.

Charlie
Posted By: PeterF Re: Heatwave - 08/05/22 08:42 PM
Scott

Very interesting indeed. Has your unmistakable phrasing and the bluesy section was excellent.

Really good song.

Peter
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Heatwave - 08/06/22 03:33 PM
Great! We could just see the heatwaves rising from the pavement.

The first section gave us imagery of children running around outside in the sprinklers. The second section had us seeing adults rocking on the front porch and fanning themselves.

Your playing, the arrangement and the mix are outstanding.

Very cinematic.

Cool! smile

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Heatwave - 08/06/22 06:03 PM
Scott, it is 92°F (33.3°C) and the humidity is at 61% as I listen to this excellent song.

Loved those unexpected changes, brilliant!
Great mix
Super chops

Two thumbs up
Posted By: RnAM Re: Heatwave - 08/07/22 05:12 PM
Wow Scott, you sure have raised the bar with this one!

The style changes (which work surprisingly well), the very original use of the Doo-Wop vocals, and of course your excellent guitar playing, put this to a whole new level.

Rob
Posted By: Scott C Re: Heatwave - 08/07/22 10:07 PM
Alan, Brian, BillyBMusic, Dewey_MI, James

Thanks so much for checking out the song. I really appreciate your comments. So glad you liked the so.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Heatwave - 08/10/22 01:05 PM
Thanks James for the awesome comments really appreciate it.

Thanks Andi for checking out the song your comments are really appreciated.

Thanks Floyd Really glad you liked the song. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Thanks Torrey. Yes love to play with the different styles to build a back track then start noodling around to see what happens. Glad you liked the song.

Thanks Dan. Still hot here. 103 heat would just kill us here. We get about 3 months of heat then thing start going the other way. Glad you liked the song.

Thanks Bob Appreciate the comments glad you liked the song..
Posted By: Scott C Re: Heatwave - 08/17/22 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the awesome comments. Have not been spending much time at the computer these last couple of weeks. Glad you liked the song
Posted By: Derochette Re: Heatwave - 08/18/22 04:36 PM
Hi Scott C,

Magnificent guitar solo on a very well done harmonic coloring.
I enjoyed.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Heatwave - 08/20/22 04:28 PM
Wow, this worked for me in a really big way. The change just plain worked. Nice job pushing the envelope!
Posted By: Scott C Re: Heatwave - 08/20/22 10:18 PM
Thanks again everyone for checking out the song. Your comments are very much appreciated. Glad you liked the song..
Posted By: dcuny Re: Heatwave - 08/21/22 01:54 AM
Late to the party, but happy to find out what all the fuss was about. laugh

Interesting change between the two parts.

Fun listen!
© PG Music Forums