PG Music Home
Posted By: RnAM New World - 08/05/22 11:04 PM
New World

"He went out for a pack of cigarettes, and never came back"

I remember someone saying that, way back in my youth.
It sounded bizarre...

Once again I used Brent's Dreamy Soloist. The most versatile soloist (but then again all Brent Mason RTs are top-notch).

Comments encouraged!

Rob

RealTracks in song: 1162:Bass, Acoustic, CelticReel Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: 887:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment FolkPopPrairie Ev 100
RealTracks in style: ~896:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRock Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1903:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Bolero Ev 090
RealTracks in song: 1681:Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 2449:Guitar, Electric, Background, PopDreamyBrent Ev 085 (CustomFX)
RealDrums [in style:BrushesPop8thsSwirl: a: Swirl Tap b: BrushesPop8thsSwirl

Lyric:

You would happily go for a walk, cause there's so many ways to go
To see what's waiting out there. To find out where you've been

And though she'll look for you, she'll be better off alone
She will be thinking to herself. But one day she'll belong

You've got a whole new world to go to. A whole new life to live through
And when it's raining, it's raining! Your soul will reach out to no one
Leaving any love behind

You've got a whole new world to go to. A whole new life to live through
And when it's raining, it's raining! Your soul will reach out to no one
Leaving all her love behind
Posted By: rayc Re: New World - 08/06/22 03:31 AM
A really good vocal recording Rob.
Lovely song well sung.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: New World - 08/06/22 07:00 AM
Hi Rob
WOW. I liked the song from the first second
Excellent singing
Great melody changes and a top solo
Really great work Rob
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: New World - 08/06/22 09:35 AM
Only a top-notch dreamy solo could hold up to this outstanding, dreamy vocal, Rob. Man, that is good. I love the melody and backing band. Great job of laying the piano in with all those guitars. A wonderful presentation.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: New World - 08/06/22 09:39 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM

That's how it's done grin

I'm not 100% sure if I really got the verses, but with the first chorus you had me, that's just beautiful and I had to listen to the song again.
Amazing vocals!
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: New World - 08/06/22 11:05 AM
Great melody and lyrics! Love the melodic lift and production choices. Vocals are amazing as well. Who's singing this?
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: New World - 08/06/22 12:08 PM
Very nice song Rob, well sung and a fantastic production. You made all the right choices with instrumentation and mix and came out with a really good production.

Brad
Posted By: jannesan Re: New World - 08/06/22 02:27 PM
Nice simple story accompanied by beautiful melody.
Excellent singing. Enjoyable instrumentation, especially the piano and Brett is always safe bet.

Janne
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: New World - 08/06/22 02:42 PM
lovely vocals.

a lesson in songwriting. great hooky chorus.

very well done.

best

om
Posted By: Al-David Re: New World - 08/06/22 02:48 PM
Dang, Rob! That's a fabulous song and your vocal is just so pleasant. I'm sure I'll be back for manty more listens. I totally loved everything about it.

Alan
Posted By: firesong Re: New World - 08/06/22 04:14 PM
Rob...Oh wow! your vocal is the first thing to catch our ears and it is so bright and clear in fact for a song that's kinda sad the production is so light and airy ...man I really like this...you're right, Brent is the best but I think it's the Bolero that makes the track so cool...kind of a Spanish touch...but the vocal is killer and IMO the song's too short...but it's always better to leave us wanting more!!
Posted By: MarioD Re: New World - 08/06/22 05:55 PM
Rob, one of if not your best to date. It is hard to say as all of your songs are fantastic.

Great vocal, chord progression, instrumentation, and mix.

Two thumbs up.
Posted By: RnAM Re: New World - 08/07/22 12:12 AM
Thanks for the positive comment Ray!

Rob
Posted By: David Snyder Re: New World - 08/07/22 12:43 AM
Hey you two Europeans!!

This song is very beautiful and atmospheric. Just my cup of tea.

Loved it! Great listening!!

Your story reminded me of a dear friend I had in Pigalle when I was living in Paris. He was very French and said he wanted to write a classic French novel, but could barely get a page. I asked him to read me what he had so far.

It went like this.

No More Bread in Paris
By Monsieur P.

It was raining in Montmartre for four days and my beautiful girl had left me. She said she was bored with life but she never said why.

I felt bad, but not bad enough to kill myself yet.

So I put on a raincoat and walked downstairs to buy some fresh bread, thinking the smell of it in my nose would bring me back to life.

But the Boulangerie had gone out of business. The street corner was now filthy and desolate. A working girl winked at me and I told her I wasn’t in the mood. Then she told me to…well, it was a vulgar word. She did look like a vulgar girl anyway, I think.

So I bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked one on the street while the icy rain poured down inside my neck. When the last bitter swallow of smoke had burnt the back of my throat, I dropped the butt on the ground and walked back home in the rain, like a ghost of myself. All of Paris was like a cemetery now.

I wondered if at last I had become too French. But to be honest, I felt cheated about the bread.

And I realized, that is all I had to say about Paris or life. My book was done. And so was I.

--The End--

Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: New World - 08/07/22 09:16 AM
Totally enjoyable. So professional. Great write, arrangement, production and performance. The SoundCloud ad for Gain detergent caught me off guard for a second because the narrative synced quite well with your opening remarks about cigarettes and seemed like a spoken word opening to the song. Happy coincidence I guess.

Charlie
Posted By: floyd jane Re: New World - 08/07/22 12:14 PM
Rob,

A lovely song.
Well sung.
Nice tracks, well mixed.

A good listen.

fj
Posted By: Scott C Re: New World - 08/07/22 10:01 PM
What a lovely vocal Rob. Harmonies were so delicate. The song has an old feel to it. Just loved the story in the lyric. Banding band was perfect for your song. Well done.
Posted By: RnAM Re: New World - 08/09/22 09:46 AM
Thanks for your comment Andi, we always appreciate it!

Rob
Posted By: Robertkc Re: New World - 08/09/22 12:33 PM
Rob,

Beautiful dreamy pop with a very good vocal and excellent production.
Well done!

Robert
Posted By: RnAM Re: New World - 08/09/22 10:32 PM
Thanks, Marty, we always appreciate your comments!

We have used that Dreamy Brent soloist in at least nine of our songs throughout the years. It is so versatile and melodic.

Rob

Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: New World - 08/10/22 12:21 PM
Rob,

This track sounds a bit different than a lot of your other work, but still sounds great! You are one of the best vocalists in the forum as proved once again by this track! Nice work with the RealTracks!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: RnAM Re: New World - 08/10/22 09:17 PM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Originally Posted By: RnAM

That's how it's done grin

I'm not 100% sure if I really got the verses, but with the first chorus you had me, that's just beautiful and I had to listen to the song again.
Amazing vocals!

Thank you! I really appreciate your comment.

I hope the verses made more sense during the second listen, haha.

To be honest, my way of composing is such that melody and rhythm always come first, lyrics second.
Often times I find myself realizing what they were actually about when the song is long recorded...

Rob
Posted By: musician17 Re: New World - 08/11/22 04:31 AM
Good job!!! Liked it. A song in a minor key, for once (I love those, haha), and beautifully sang. Well done!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: New World - 08/11/22 07:59 AM
A brilliant and vibrant opening leads the way to more brilliance. Perfect choice of band and the vocal delivery, well, delivers it all.

Well done.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: New World - 08/11/22 05:01 PM
The dreamy guitar goes well with your smooth vocal.

This has a lovely melody and the mix is crystal clear.

As others have mentioned the piano sounds great.

We like the ambiguity in the lyric too.

And, yes, that Brent solo was excellent.

Nice!

J&B
Posted By: RnAM Re: New World - 08/11/22 10:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Great melody and lyrics! Love the melodic lift and production choices. Vocals are amazing as well. Who's singing this?

Thank you Dewey for your positive comment! I appreciate it.

Uh... I'm singing it.
Posted By: SterlingHolobyte Re: New World - 08/11/22 11:36 PM
That was really nice!
Great vocals and production, and a very catchy chorus.
Do I hear some strings in the second chorus, like violin or cello? Because I didn't see it listed but then I don't know what all the instrument selections(styles?) include in them. But I loved them.
Not that the song needs anything(because it doesn't), but I got so into the song that I could hear those strings crescendo, especially in the second chorus.
But like I said, it doesn't need anything. It's perfect the way it is. It's just what I heard in my own head.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: New World - 08/12/22 08:13 AM
Hi Rob,

Lovely song, great melody, and man, as always I love your vocal!

Enjoyed!
Posted By: RnAM Re: New World - 08/13/22 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Very nice song Rob, well sung and a fantastic production. You made all the right choices with instrumentation and mix and came out with a really good production.

Brad

Thanks Brad, I appreciate the comment.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nice simple story accompanied by beautiful melody.
Excellent singing. Enjoyable instrumentation, especially the piano and Brett is always safe bet.

Janne

Thanks for the comment Janne. Appreciated.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
lovely vocals.

a lesson in songwriting. great hooky chorus.

very well done.

best

om

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Dang, Rob! That's a fabulous song and your vocal is just so pleasant. I'm sure I'll be back for many more listens. I totally loved everything about it.

Alan

Thank you Alan. I always appreciate your support!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: New World - 08/13/22 08:17 PM
Your vocal is standout. Your head voice is very pleasant to listen to.

Beautiful song and production.
Posted By: RnAM Re: New World - 08/14/22 10:53 PM
Time to wrap this up (and move on to the next song ;-)).
But not before thanking those I didn't thank yet:

Originally Posted By: firesong
Rob...Oh wow! your vocal is the first thing to catch our ears and it is so bright and clear in fact for a song that's kinda sad the production is so light and airy ...man I really like this...you're right, Brent is the best but I think it's the Bolero that makes the track so cool...kind of a Spanish touch...but the vocal is killer and IMO the song's too short...but it's always better to leave us wanting more!!

Thank you! Always appreciate your comments.

Yes, you are right that Bolero RT does make all the difference, dynamic-wise.

The track indeed is a bit short. This is just about how far I got with the lyric...
If it leaves people wanting for more, then that's a nice side effect ;-)

Rob

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Rob, one of if not your best to date. It is hard to say as all of your songs are fantastic.

Great vocal, chord progression, instrumentation, and mix.

Two thumbs up.

Thank you, Mario. Really appreciate your continuous support!

Rob

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Hey you two Europeans!!

This song is very beautiful and atmospheric. Just my cup of tea.

Loved it! Great listening!!

Your story reminded me of a dear friend I had in Pigalle when I was living in Paris. He was very French and said he wanted to write a classic French novel, but could barely get a page. I asked him to read me what he had so far.

It went like this.

No More Bread in Paris
By Monsieur P.

It was raining in Montmartre for four days and my beautiful girl had left me. She said she was bored with life but she never said why.

I felt bad, but not bad enough to kill myself yet.

So I put on a raincoat and walked downstairs to buy some fresh bread, thinking the smell of it in my nose would bring me back to life.

But the Boulangerie had gone out of business. The street corner was now filthy and desolate. A working girl winked at me and I told her I wasn’t in the mood. Then she told me to…well, it was a vulgar word. She did look like a vulgar girl anyway, I think.

So I bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked one on the street while the icy rain poured down inside my neck. When the last bitter swallow of smoke had burnt the back of my throat, I dropped the butt on the ground and walked back home in the rain, like a ghost of myself. All of Paris was like a cemetery now.

I wondered if at last I had become too French. But to be honest, I felt cheated about the bread.

And I realized, that is all I had to say about Paris or life. My book was done. And so was I.

--The End--

Thanks for the positive comment, David!

Wow, your friend wrote quite a tale!

Although we live relatively close by (compared to American distances), I've only been to France once.
This was way back in my youth, with my very first girlfriend.

We had no money to spend, so we went there hitchhiking. She did book a hotel for us (and paid for it herself. But later we split, Dutch treat). It was the cheapest one she could find. It said "one-night stay + breakfast".

Breakfast turned out to be a plain croissant, without anything on it! And there was coffee but without any sugar or milk!

Rob

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Totally enjoyable. So professional. Great write, arrangement, production and performance. The SoundCloud ad for Gain detergent caught me off guard for a second because the narrative synced quite well with your opening remarks about cigarettes and seemed like a spoken word opening to the song. Happy coincidence I guess.

Charlie

Thank you, Charlie. Your continuous support is much appreciated!

Thanks for bringing the ad to my attention. Indeed a happy coincidence.
I had no idea! I have been using ad blockers for so long now that (apart from one or two exceptions on YouTube) I'm totally unaware of ads...

Rob

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Rob,

A lovely song.
Well sung.
Nice tracks, well mixed.

A good listen.

fj

Thank you, Floyd. Your comments are always appreciated!

Rob

Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a lovely vocal Rob. Harmonies were so delicate. The song has an old feel to it. Just loved the story in the lyric. Banding band was perfect for your song. Well done.

Thank you, Scott! I always appreciate your comments :-).

Rob

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Rob,

Beautiful dreamy pop with a very good vocal and excellent production.
Well done!

Robert

Thanks for the positive comment, Robert!

Rob

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Rob,

This track sounds a bit different than a lot of your other work, but still sounds great! You are one of the best vocalists in the forum as proved once again by this track! Nice work with the RealTracks!

Thanks, Torrey

Thank you, Torrey. I'm flattered by such a positive comment!

Rob

Originally Posted By: musician17
Good job!!! Liked it. A song in a minor key, for once (I love those, haha), and beautifully sang. Well done!

Thank you! Appreciate your comment.

Rob

Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
A brilliant and vibrant opening leads the way to more brilliance. Perfect choice of band and the vocal delivery, well, delivers it all.

Well done.

Thank you, Trevor. Your continuous support is highly appreciated!

Rob

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
The dreamy guitar goes well with your smooth vocal.

This has a lovely melody and the mix is crystal clear.

As others have mentioned the piano sounds great.

We like the ambiguity in the lyric too.

And, yes, that Brent solo was excellent.

Nice!

J&B

Thank you J&B. Your comments are always appreciated!

Yes, that piano RT is one for me to remember for future songs. It is very well-balanced and connects the chords in a very interesting way. It required very little editing on my part.

Rob

Originally Posted By: SterlingHolobyte
That was really nice!
Great vocals and production, and a very catchy chorus.
Do I hear some strings in the second chorus, like violin or cello? Because I didn't see it listed but then I don't know what all the instrument selections(styles?) include in them. But I loved them.
Not that the song needs anything(because it doesn't), but I got so into the song that I could hear those strings crescendo, especially in the second chorus.
But like I said, it doesn't need anything. It's perfect the way it is. It's just what I heard in my own head.

Thank you for such a positive comment. I really appreciate it!

About the second chorus. Those weren't strings, but background vocals ;-). It's a three-layered voice ooh. We do this with many of our recordings. I had to mix it in very delicately so it wouldn't be in the way of the delicate rhythm of the song.

Thanks again!

Rob

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Rob,

Lovely song, great melody, and man, as always I love your vocal!

Enjoyed!

Thank you, Dave. Your comments are always appreciated!

Rob

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Your vocal is standout. Your head voice is very pleasant to listen to.

Beautiful song and production.

Thank you, Scott. Really appreciate your comment!

Rob
Posted By: Derochette Re: New World - 08/20/22 06:34 AM
Hi RnAM,

It's pretty sweet melody as we like it. It's well built. Well done. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: New World - 08/20/22 11:59 AM
Hi Rob wow so well done really top notch in all areas vocal was stunning thanks Eric
Posted By: dcuny Re: New World - 08/20/22 01:12 PM
Great vocals, excellent backing. As you said, very delicate.

Very evocative lyrics.

Loved Brent's solo, but I would have loved an accordion solo even more. wink

A bit short, so I listened three times to make up for it. laugh
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: New World - 08/20/22 01:31 PM
Another great one from Team Netherlands.
Reading the technicals, I thought 4 guitars would be too busy, but nope. You guys nailed it.
Great job !
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: New World - 08/20/22 02:08 PM
Great singing and what a terrific, moody song. One of the best pieces I've heard on here in a while. Congratulations!
© PG Music Forums