PG Music Home
Posted By: Torrey Bliss CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/07/22 02:31 PM
CLIMBING DOWNHILL

A Torrey and Ron song we wrote a couple of days ago. The climbing downhill title means that sometimes when we think we are coasting in life and taking it easy, that we are in reality choosing a harder way to live in the long run. Thanks for having a listen!

BIAB
Drums-Nashville Radio 16ths
Piano- 2881 Acoustic (used in certain sections)

Me
Vocals
Bass
Guitars
Piano Organ
Synths

Climbing Downhill
Words and music by
Ron Helm and Torrey Bliss
©2022 Glass Gate Music

My sleep is gone
I'll turn the light on
I think it's hiding in the dark
I'll wait for the dawn
Then move along
Another thousand miles to get nowhere

I feel like I am climbing downhill
Going down, get back up
You know I can't stand still
Why am I still climbing downhill
Lessons learned the hard way
Didn't break my will
God will you show me the way

Can't live in the past
You know it won't last
Those broken dreams are dead and gone
I'll leave where I have been
Start over again
Lord give me live the life I've never known

Don't wanna keep on climbing downhill
Going down, get back up
Why can't I just stand still
I'm so tired from climbing downhill
I need a higher power
To come and break my will
God will you show me the way

I've been on the edge
I've chased the thrill
My wanderlust I followed
With foolish dreams unfulfilled
I see You
Lord, I see your truth
With eyes on You I'll follow
Lord lead me to the end of my road

I'm done with this climbing downhill
Going down, get back up
This time I'm standing still
I'm so tired of climbing downhill
Jesus, You're my higher power
You came and broke my will
Going down, get back up
In You time I'm standing still
Lessons learned the hard way
Thank God, He broke my will
Let Him show you the way
Let Him show you the way
Posted By: floyd jane Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/07/22 04:25 PM
Torrey (& Ron),

The first thing that struck me was how good your guitar work is. Never "flashy", always serving the music/song as a whole. Nice tone, well played...

Drums and Bass sound good and "play nice together".

Strong vocal. Big, full harmonies.

Interesting progression and melody.

Good, solid mix.

Small thing - I thought that the bridge needed more to differentiate it. The melody changes, but perhaps not enough? And the overall band sound was similar to the rest. (again, a very small nit - this IS good music).

Impressive work. As Always.

fj
Posted By: RnAM Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/07/22 05:04 PM
Wow, this is skillfully produced. Highly sophisticated when it comes to the chord structure.

Perfect control of all the instruments you are all playing!

You are certainly not afraid to take risks vocal-wise. I like that, and it works out very well.

Rob
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/07/22 05:06 PM
I'm not 100% sure I get the meaning of the song, but I like it. A lot.
Your voice with the guitar and the drums and bass combination work really well.

It has indeed an interesting chord progression, and I mean this in a positive way!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/08/22 09:41 AM

Sounds really great Torrey! A rockin' praise song if there ever was one.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/08/22 11:55 AM
Hello Torrey and Ron
The song sounds cool
Interesting melody perfectly staged
Very good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: musician17 Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/08/22 12:55 PM
You are so good at this kinda stuff - rock praise, for want of a better description. And this is no exception. Daring and succeeding in what it sets out to do! Bravo!

And they say MY chord progressions are daring and "out there", haha ... you've schooled us all here :-)
Posted By: firesong Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/08/22 01:52 PM
Torrey...The music you write (with Ron in this instance) is so unique and by now (to me) so recognizable...I think it's your chord arrangements which are so stylistic and artistic along with your vocals and harmonies that maybe reminiscent of others yet totally your own, that sets your songs apart from the rest of us... you remind me of NOBODY-else smile as usual I love this... I love the style, love the performance in all of it's aspects, love the compo and arrangement and I love the message and/or testimonial (I've ran downhill a lot in my life)...you are a "tool" man...your(His) song speaks to me!
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/08/22 02:38 PM
Torrey, very nice professional sounding production. Once again, I was very impressed by it. Personally, just as a style thing, I like some of your other melodies better, but like I said - this production is magnificent. I also really like the writing. So clever, correct, and right to the point. They really spoke to me. I also liked the idea of how you introduced that last verse, totally unexpected. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/08/22 09:21 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Torrey (& Ron),

The first thing that struck me was how good your guitar work is. Never "flashy", always serving the music/song as a whole. Nice tone, well played...

Drums and Bass sound good and "play nice together".

Strong vocal. Big, full harmonies.

Interesting progression and melody.

Good, solid mix.

Small thing - I thought that the bridge needed more to differentiate it. The melody changes, but perhaps not enough? And the overall band sound was similar to the rest. (again, a very small nit - this IS good music).

Impressive work. As Always.

fj

Thanks Floyd! I always appreciate your input! The bridge was something I went back and forth on, but decided to leave as is for now unless a bolt of inspiration strikes! T
Posted By: rayc Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/08/22 10:23 PM
Torrey,
another classic Bliss piece...Ron's an excellent foil as well.
GREAT lead work throughout.
Posted By: Robertkc Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/09/22 01:03 PM
Torrey & Ron,
Yes, this is unmistakably in the Torrey style; polished, sophisticated and impeccably accompanied pop with a strong message.
The guitarwork is, as ever, remarkably good and your vocals take some risks with the melody... which work!
I think the long ending chorus is excellent.
Great collaboration!

Robert
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/10/22 08:42 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Wow, this is skillfully produced. Highly sophisticated when it comes to the chord structure.

Perfect control of all the instruments you are all playing!

You are certainly not afraid to take risks vocal-wise. I like that, and it works out very well.

Rob

Thanks for listening and commenting Rob! I appreciate it!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/10/22 08:43 AM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I'm not 100% sure I get the meaning of the song, but I like it. A lot.
Your voice with the guitar and the drums and bass combination work really well.

It has indeed an interesting chord progression, and I mean this in a positive way!

Thanks for having a listen! The climbing downhill title means that sometimes when we think we are coasting in life and taking it easy, that we are in reality choosing a harder way to live in the long run.
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/10/22 11:21 AM
Torrey, Love this one. The chord changes are unpredictable = refreshingly new (at least to me).

Great use of BIAB! Also love the surprise "echo" phrase about three-quarters through. Keep it up man!

Dewey
Posted By: rsdean Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/10/22 11:50 AM
Torrey,

Excellent song and outstanding vocal! The production value on this (and all your other songs) is pro all the way.

Much enjoyed.

Bob
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/10/22 12:27 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Sounds really great Torrey! A rockin' praise song if there ever was one.

Thanks, David, for taking time to listen and comment! T
Posted By: jannesan Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/10/22 12:51 PM
This one really rocks in a unique way, excellent blend of different pop/rock styles, chording is especially interesting. Creative like The Beatles in their prime. Powerful vocals (amazing harmonies), good instrumentation and even the grungy guitar solo support the message of learning the hard way.

Janne
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/10/22 11:10 PM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello Torrey and Ron
The song sounds cool
Interesting melody perfectly staged
Very good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi, for taking time to listen and comment! I appreciate it!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/11/22 09:47 AM
Haha. The title reminded of my youth. Funny I'm getting so old that's all I remember anymore. hehe I used to race friend up steps. They could run, but I had to climb on all fours. Never lost. Coming down that way was way different. Enough about me, huh?

You are such a master of this craft, Torrey. This is another piece of the master, a masterpiece. I'd say your vocals are the best, your guitar playing is top-notch, your writing skills are unmatched, you always fashion the best lyrics, then add the best musicians you find in the mirror. When all that is done, you master the mix in such a pleasing way. I believe even in my youth you could've beaten down the steps if I slid the banister and you crawled on all fours.
Posted By: MarioD Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/11/22 04:14 PM
Torrey this is a fantastic Christian rocker and it should be played on Christian radio right now. Its a great message that should be heard loud and clear!

Great vocal and outstanding lyrics.

Your guitar work is icing on the cake.

The other instruments you played are fantastic also.

Super work with the bass and drums, i.e. super tight.

Loved it
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/11/22 05:37 PM
Your vocal and instrumental performances always have a lot of power and passion.

This is yet another fine write by you and Mr. Helm. GREAT title.

As Janneson said, “even the grungy guitar solo supports the message of learning the hard way.”

Janice said her first remembrance of “gospel rock” was Godspell during her high school days and that many of their parents were surprised by their performance of some of those songs in their First Baptist Church Youth Choir. smile

And as always in an excellent manner there is a Beatles hint here and there.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/12/22 07:31 AM
Originally Posted By: musician17
You are so good at this kinda stuff - rock praise, for want of a better description. And this is no exception. Daring and succeeding in what it sets out to do! Bravo!

And they say MY chord progressions are daring and "out there", haha ... you've schooled us all here :-)

Thanks James! I appreciate it!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/12/22 08:10 AM
Excellent as usual, Torrey! Great arrangement, love the bit that starts around 2:15 or so.

Guitar as usual is right on the money, all the instrumentation actually.

Nice!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/12/22 11:03 AM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Torrey...The music you write (with Ron in this instance) is so unique and by now (to me) so recognizable...I think it's your chord arrangements which are so stylistic and artistic along with your vocals and harmonies that maybe reminiscent of others yet totally your own, that sets your songs apart from the rest of us... you remind me of NOBODY-else smile as usual I love this... I love the style, love the performance in all of it's aspects, love the compo and arrangement and I love the message and/or testimonial (I've ran downhill a lot in my life)...you are a "tool" man...your(His) song speaks to me!

Wow Dan, what can I say! I always feel that you give me far more credit than I deserve, but I thank you just the same! Your comments are always appreciated! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/13/22 07:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Torrey, very nice professional sounding production. Once again, I was very impressed by it. Personally, just as a style thing, I like some of your other melodies better, but like I said - this production is magnificent. I also really like the writing. So clever, correct, and right to the point. They really spoke to me. I also liked the idea of how you introduced that last verse, totally unexpected. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Brad for taking time to listen and comment!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/13/22 08:00 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Torrey,
another classic Bliss piece...Ron's an excellent foil as well.
GREAT lead work throughout.

Thanks Ray! I appreciate it!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/13/22 08:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Torrey & Ron,
Yes, this is unmistakably in the Torrey style; polished, sophisticated and impeccably accompanied pop with a strong message.
The guitarwork is, as ever, remarkably good and your vocals take some risks with the melody... which work!
I think the long ending chorus is excellent.
Great collaboration!

Robert

Thanks Robert! I always appreciate your comments!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/13/22 08:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Torrey, Love this one. The chord changes are unpredictable = refreshingly new (at least to me).

Great use of BIAB! Also love the surprise "echo" phrase about three-quarters through. Keep it up man!

Dewey

Thanks Dewey for the kind words!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/13/22 08:02 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Torrey,

Excellent song and outstanding vocal! The production value on this (and all your other songs) is pro all the way.

Much enjoyed.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I really appreciate it!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/13/22 08:03 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
This one really rocks in a unique way, excellent blend of different pop/rock styles, chording is especially interesting. Creative like The Beatles in their prime. Powerful vocals (amazing harmonies), good instrumentation and even the grungy guitar solo support the message of learning the hard way.

Janne

Thanks Janne! I appreciate your comments!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/13/22 08:01 PM
This has that late 60s/early 70s sound that I love.

I like the unpredictable but satisfying musical direction you took me with this song. A very Bliss-ful listening experience.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/14/22 08:32 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Haha. The title reminded of my youth. Funny I'm getting so old that's all I remember anymore. hehe I used to race friend up steps. They could run, but I had to climb on all fours. Never lost. Coming down that way was way different. Enough about me, huh?

You are such a master of this craft, Torrey. This is another piece of the master, a masterpiece. I'd say your vocals are the best, your guitar playing is top-notch, your writing skills are unmatched, you always fashion the best lyrics, then add the best musicians you find in the mirror. When all that is done, you master the mix in such a pleasing way. I believe even in my youth you could've beaten down the steps if I slid the banister and you crawled on all fours.

Thanks so much Marty for all the kind words! I always appreciate your comments! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/14/22 08:33 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Torrey this is a fantastic Christian rocker and it should be played on Christian radio right now. Its a great message that should be heard loud and clear!

Great vocal and outstanding lyrics.

Your guitar work is icing on the cake.

The other instruments you played are fantastic also.

Super work with the bass and drums, i.e. super tight.

Loved it

Thanks Mario! I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/14/22 08:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Your vocal and instrumental performances always have a lot of power and passion.

This is yet another fine write by you and Mr. Helm. GREAT title.

As Janneson said, “even the grungy guitar solo supports the message of learning the hard way.”

Janice said her first remembrance of “gospel rock” was Godspell during her high school days and that many of their parents were surprised by their performance of some of those songs in their First Baptist Church Youth Choir. smile

And as always in an excellent manner there is a Beatles hint here and there.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanks J&B! I won't deny my influences! I just always try to spin it all in a positive direction! T
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/14/22 08:35 AM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Excellent as usual, Torrey! Great arrangement, love the bit that starts around 2:15 or so.

Guitar as usual is right on the money, all the instrumentation actually.

Nice!

Thanks Dave! Your comments mean a lot to me!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/16/22 10:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
This has that late 60s/early 70s sound that I love.

I like the unpredictable but satisfying musical direction you took me with this song. A very Bliss-ful listening experience.

Thanks Scott! I appreciate it!
Posted By: vicarn Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/16/22 01:47 PM
Great mix, Torrey.
Great title too. I wish I'd thought of it.

Vic
Posted By: Scott C Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/17/22 10:59 PM
What a cool intro Torrey. Excellent song. Loved the chord progressions. Guitar was awesome. Super vocal and lyric. Excellent mix and production. Well done..
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/18/22 02:05 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Great mix, Torrey.
Great title too. I wish I'd thought of it.

Vic

Thanks Vic! I appreciate it!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/18/22 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
What a cool intro Torrey. Excellent song. Loved the chord progressions. Guitar was awesome. Super vocal and lyric. Excellent mix and production. Well done..

Thanks, Scott, for the kind words!
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/18/22 03:35 PM
Torrey & Ron,
Ace tune. Complex composition, but listens very smoothly. Powerful vocals and excellent playing!
Very mature, polished mix / production. Enjoyed it! I wish they would play music like this on a local radio.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Derochette Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/18/22 04:06 PM
Hi Torrey Bliss,

Very pleasant your compo. Well done.I enjoyed.

Kindly regard
Derochette alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/20/22 04:40 PM
Great work from you as always, your productions are always on another level. Got that Steely Dan sound, I know I've said that many times. Nice lyrical idea: climbing downhill.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/22/22 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Torrey & Ron,
Ace tune. Complex composition, but listens very smoothly. Powerful vocals and excellent playing!
Very mature, polished mix / production. Enjoyed it! I wish they would play music like this on a local radio.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha! I appreciate it!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/22/22 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi Torrey Bliss,

Very pleasant your compo. Well done.I enjoyed.

Kindly regard
Derochette alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks for the kind words! It's always appreciated!
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/22/22 12:33 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great work from you as always, your productions are always on another level. Got that Steely Dan sound, I know I've said that many times. Nice lyrical idea: climbing downhill.

Thanks for taking time to listen and comment! I appreciate it!
Posted By: Al-David Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/24/22 11:33 PM
Hello Torrey ...

Thought I'd left a comment on this a couple of days ago. Guess not!

You and Ron put a great song together. Your multi-talents sparkle on this. Love that megaphone line you slipped in - cool!

So may good things to like. It would take quite some time to list all of them. This is really special.

Alan
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/27/22 10:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Torrey ...

Thought I'd left a comment on this a couple of days ago. Guess not!

You and Ron put a great song together. Your multi-talents sparkle on this. Love that megaphone line you slipped in - cool!

So may good things to like. It would take quite some time to list all of them. This is really special.

Alan

Thanks Alan! I really appreciate you taking time to listen and comment!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 08/27/22 07:41 PM
Very cool song!!! I also hear the older influence in it......melodies were so creative back then and yours always are!! Great vocal harmonies!! I also feel that I'm going downhill but not necessarily climbing. smile. Love this!!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: CLIMBING DOWNHILL - 09/05/22 12:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very cool song!!! I also hear the older influence in it......melodies were so creative back then and yours always are!! Great vocal harmonies!! I also feel that I'm going downhill but not necessarily climbing. smile. Love this!!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg! I appreciate it!
© PG Music Forums