PG Music Home
Posted By: Al-David Out On A Limb - 08/07/22 04:33 PM
Out On A Limb

A bit of an unusual song with a quirky chord pattern. I would say it's semi-dramatic. I really like the slack string guitar RTs. They are extremely versatile. I'm not totally satisfied with the drums, a bit busy, I think. But I couldn't find one that was a better fit after previewing at least 25 possibilities. But over all, I'm pretty happy with it.

I couldn't believe I found such a perfect graphic for the song!

Song Summary – Out On A Limb

File:Out On A Limb.SGU
Key=Dbm, Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=2:29

Style is _SET4TH.STY (Set Forth Alt Folk Rock Ballad)

RealTracks in style: 3502:Bass, Electric, NashvilleRadioBalladA Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 3957:Bass, Synth DramaPianoOctaves 65
RealTracks in song: 3699:Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist SlackKey16ths ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 2975:Vocal Oohs-Aahs, Rhythm Pop3-part Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 4021:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModCountryBalladPower1 Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 4022:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm ModCountryBalladPower2 Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 1840:Synth Pad, PopModernGrooveMellow Ev16 075
RealDrums in style:Cajon and Drum Kit [Multi]
Posted By: RnAM Re: Out On A Limb - 08/07/22 04:55 PM
This sure is a very interesting instrumental. I find the chord changes refreshing, and I think they work well.

That soloist indeed sounds great and very realistic!

Rob
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Out On A Limb - 08/07/22 04:58 PM
That's indeed an unusual chord progression. It's not "beautiful", but I've listened twice because it's really interesting. Would be cool to have "beautiful" vocals as contrast to your chords.

I also think that the drums are at places a bit busy, but they work for the song, so I would keep them.
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Out On A Limb - 08/07/22 05:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
A bit of an unusual song with a quirky chord pattern. I'm not totally satisfied with the drums, a bit busy, I think. I couldn't believe I found such a perfect graphic for the song!

Howdy....

Yes, a bit unusual but still a relaxing listen with the acoustic up front.
A couple chord changes along with the 1/2 steps did catch me off guard. smile

Hmmm....no....I don't think the trap set is 'too busy'.
Their not stepping on anything that I'd call attention to.

Ha...love that graphic.

Well put together and a good mix.

Back to it....
Posted By: jannesan Re: Out On A Limb - 08/08/22 11:40 AM
Very unusual chord progression, many times seemingly going to "normal" direction, but then choosing completely another way. Requires several listenings to get used to all changes, but keeps growing and rewards in plenty. Very creative work, the title and the picture fits the mood. The instrument selection works very well, although I would have added even more mystic with Indian instruments to some transitions (tabla, sitar).

Janne
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Out On A Limb - 08/08/22 11:58 AM
Hi Alan
Very nice song
The solo is really very good
I like the drums
Very good work Alan
The Artwork is really cool
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Out On A Limb - 08/09/22 12:52 PM
Al.
I enjoyed the slack-key guitar( first time I`ve heard that RT used )and chord change surprises.
An interesting instrumental which could be the inspiration for lyrics and vocals.

Robert
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Out On A Limb - 08/09/22 04:44 PM
Alan,

Another nice instrumental.

Cool movement in the progression.
An interesting contrast between the backing tracks and the soloist.
Nicely constructed lead voice (as always).
Good mix.

fj

(The first song I ever posted in the Showcase was called "Out On A Limb" smile )
Posted By: MarioD Re: Out On A Limb - 08/09/22 08:01 PM
Alan, I liked that chord progression. Brilliant work there.

The lead was excellent as was the backing band and mix.

Two thumbs up
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Out On A Limb - 08/10/22 12:04 PM
Alan,

Yes, you certainly found a great pic for the upload! Once again you have shown us all that you are a master at arranging these RealTracks! This is great work!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Scott C Re: Out On A Limb - 08/10/22 01:07 PM
Lovely song Alan. That guitar was very cool. I too loved the chord progression. Excellent production, mix and master.
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/10/22 10:34 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
This sure is a very interesting instrumental. I find the chord changes refreshing, and I think they work well.

That soloist indeed sounds great and very realistic!

Rob

Thanks Rob and Anne-Marie ...

Glad you enjoyed the atypical nuances of this one.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/10/22 10:37 PM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
That's indeed an unusual chord progression. It's not "beautiful", but I've listened twice because it's really interesting. Would be cool to have "beautiful" vocals as contrast to your chords.

I also think that the drums are at places a bit busy, but they work for the song, so I would keep them.

Hello B.D.

Thanks for the listen and very nice comments. "Unusual" and "Interesting" work for me. I appreciate your time to listen and offer your nice thoughts.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/10/22 10:40 PM
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966
Originally Posted By: Al-David
A bit of an unusual song with a quirky chord pattern. I'm not totally satisfied with the drums, a bit busy, I think. I couldn't believe I found such a perfect graphic for the song!

Howdy....

Yes, a bit unusual but still a relaxing listen with the acoustic up front.
A couple chord changes along with the 1/2 steps did catch me off guard. smile

Hmmm....no....I don't think the trap set is 'too busy'.
Their not stepping on anything that I'd call attention to.

Ha...love that graphic.

Well put together and a good mix.

Back to it....

Howdy!

Thanks for the listen sand comments. And yeah, those half-step changes kind of "slipped in" when I wasn't looking! I do experiment with unusual chord changes, beats, etc. It's a lot of fun most of the time.

Many thanks!

Alan
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Out On A Limb - 08/11/22 05:25 PM
That is a perfect song graphic and we kept watching the limb to see if it would bend!

The unusual chord changes give it a mysterious feel. We like that slack solo guitar RT also and it fits well with the other tracks. The drums work well for us.

Another example of the power of an all BiaB production in talented hands.

Cool!

J&B
Posted By: rsdean Re: Out On A Limb - 08/12/22 08:16 AM
Alan,

Love this. A wonderful moody piece.

Great production and the graphic is perfect!

Bob
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/13/22 04:56 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very unusual chord progression, many times seemingly going to "normal" direction, but then choosing completely another way. Requires several listenings to get used to all changes, but keeps growing and rewards in plenty. Very creative work, the title and the picture fits the mood. The instrument selection works very well, although I would have added even more mystic with Indian instruments to some transitions (tabla, sitar).

Janne

Hi Janne ...

Thank you for the very nice comments. Glad you enjoyed it - even if it did take several listens!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/13/22 04:58 AM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Alan
Very nice song
The solo is really very good
I like the drums
Very good work Alan
The Artwork is really cool
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Hello Andi,

Thank you very much. Your words are very encouraging. Vielen Dank!

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/13/22 05:00 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Al.
I enjoyed the slack-key guitar( first time I`ve heard that RT used )and chord change surprises.
An interesting instrumental which could be the inspiration for lyrics and vocals.

Robert

Hi Robert ...

Glad you enjoyed it. If Di were healthy, I'd write a lyric for her. But she's incapable of singing well at the time. But, maybe in the future. Thanks again.

Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: Out On A Limb - 08/13/22 05:23 AM
Nice one.
As you've used a multitrack drum thing you could pull them all into your DAW or even in the BIAB mixer and cut sections of the shaker to ease things a bit.
Cool tension release thing.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Out On A Limb - 08/13/22 08:25 AM
Hi Alan,

I listened to this the other day but didn't have time to comment.

I always enjoy your instrumentals, love the chord changes in this one! And that slack string guitar is perfect!

Nice one!

Good to see you posting again, and all the best to you and Di.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Out On A Limb - 08/13/22 10:03 AM
First of all, what a perfect pic for the song. Man, I love the changes on this, Al, and how you cleverly change the feel of the song. Man, is that the Washburn. Sounds so good in the hands of the expert. What a good song, and I love the melody --melodies. Yeah those slack RT guitars provide an unual and perfect addition. The drums seemed fine. Take care, Al.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Out On A Limb - 08/20/22 09:17 PM
I would never in a million years thought to use a slack key guitar for the soloist on this track, but it "worked a treat" as they say. A lot of tension in this which I assume is the chord progression - it was very effective. Listened a few times and enjoyed it increasingly as I did. Excellent work.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 09:42 AM
HI Al-David,

Well done indie rock. The sound and playing of the guitar is very pleasant. Background music that I enjoyed.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:07 PM
Alan,

Another nice instrumental.

Cool movement in the progression.
An interesting contrast between the backing tracks and the soloist.
Nicely constructed lead voice (as always).
Good mix.

fj

(The first song I ever posted in the Showcase was called "Out On A Limb" smile )

Hi Floyd ...

Thanks a bunch. Those odd progressions just sorta come to, often when I'm walking our dachshund ore when I'm sweeping and mopping. They're not usually in a finished form, but the general structure is there. I then grab my guitar and flush them out. This one was a little more "off center" than most of them. But, I guess it worked out OK. Selecting backing tracks was the hardest and most time-consuming part.

I wasn't here when you first posted, so I missed that song. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks again for your ever-nice comments. best to you and yours.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:10 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Alan, I liked that chord progression. Brilliant work there.

The lead was excellent as was the backing band and mix.

Two thumbs up

Hey Mario ...

Glad you enjoyed it. The only significant thing I did was smoothing out the progression and picking tracks. BIAB did all the heavy work. Thanks for the kindness, my friend. RTake care ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Alan,

Yes, you certainly found a great pic for the upload! Once again you have shown us all that you are a master at arranging these RealTracks! This is great work!

Thanks, Torrey

Hi Torrey ...

Hope all is well back in my home state. My sister lives about 90 miles west of you.

Glad you enjoyed that pic as much as i did. I actually chuckled out loud when I ran across it! I'm not so sure about being a "master". BIAB gives me the tools to bring the ideas in my head to fruition. Hmmm ... that could be scary!

Seriously, BIAB is a marvelous tool. And a craftsman is rarely better than the tools his has to work with.

Many thanks,

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Lovely song Alan. That guitar was very cool. I too loved the chord progression. Excellent production, mix and master.

Hi Scott ...

I'm really delighted you enjoyed the song. Thanks for letting me know - much appreciated. Take care.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
That is a perfect song graphic and we kept watching the limb to see if it would bend!

The unusual chord changes give it a mysterious feel. We like that slack solo guitar RT also and it fits well with the other tracks. The drums work well for us.

Another example of the power of an all BiaB production in talented hands.

Cool!

J&B

Hello Folks!

Thank ya so much for all those really nice comments. As I mentioned to some one earlier ... a craftsman no better than his tools. And BIAB is a mighty tool box. Many, many thanks for the ever-present comments and support. Sure do appreciate all that! Best to both of you.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Alan,

Love this. A wonderful moody piece.

Great production and the graphic is perfect!

Bob

Hery Bob ...

You are much too kind. But I sure do appreciate it a bunch. Glad ya liked that graphic! Take care, my friend.

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Nice one.
As you've used a multitrack drum thing you could pull them all into your DAW or even in the BIAB mixer and cut sections of the shaker to ease things a bit.
Cool tension release thing.

Hi Ray ...

Always nice to hear from you. I'm glad this sits well in your ears. It's my opinion that tension and release are what gives a song its strongest dynamics.

That drum track was taken from a demo song and can't be altered. I tried multiple times to get it to play its multiple versions, but just won't change. I think all the demo drum tracks are like that. And yes, the shaker on the choruses was my concern.

Thanks a bunch. Wishing you well in Oz ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Hi Alan,

I listened to this the other day but didn't have time to comment.

I always enjoy your instrumentals, love the chord changes in this one! And that slack string guitar is perfect!

Nice one!

Good to see you posting again, and all the best to you and Di.

Hi Dave ...

Thank you so much. I, too, like the slack key set. They are the most versatile set of acoustical guitar tracks in the box. Glad ya liked it. Thanks for letting me know! Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:38 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
First of all, what a perfect pic for the song. Man, I love the changes on this, Al, and how you cleverly change the feel of the song. Man, is that the Washburn. Sounds so good in the hands of the expert. What a good song, and I love the melody --melodies. Yeah those slack RT guitars provide an unual and perfect addition. The drums seemed fine. Take care, Al.

Hey Marty!

Always a pleasure when you drop in and leave a comment. And yeah, that graphic is way too cool. Perhaps I should have renamed the song "Elephant On A Limb". Ha!

No, not the Washburn. It's at Guitar Center getting some work dome on it - new bridge and tuning keys. It's all BIAB. And that's hardly ever a bad thing. I do experiment a lot with matching up unlikely lead tracks and backing tracks. It's pretty cool when it works out. But there are quite a few on the junk pile!

Thanks again ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I would never in a million years thought to use a slack key guitar for the soloist on this track, but it "worked a treat" as they say. A lot of tension in this which I assume is the chord progression - it was very effective. Listened a few times and enjoyed it increasingly as I did. Excellent work.

Hi Bob ...

Thanks so much for the several listens and kind comments. Do appreciate all that. Min or chords and half-step chord changes seems to elicit a bit of tension when paired against major and major seventh chords. And I think the staccato runs leading in and out of the chorus further enhance the tension between those elements.

Again, many thanks. I always appreciate your insights. Best to you ...

Alan
Posted By: Al-David Re: Out On A Limb - 08/21/22 12:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
HI Al-David,

Well done indie rock. The sound and playing of the guitar is very pleasant. Background music that I enjoyed.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Hi Derochette ...

So very nice to see you back in the forum! And thank you for the very kind comments. I appreciate them very much. Wishing you the very best ...

Alan
© PG Music Forums