PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Groove Moves - 08/09/22 09:18 PM
Groove Moves

If you are in the groove you have to move!

This is one of the very few songs that I did not start in BiaB. I was messing around with Scaler and came up with a short chord progression that I transferred to my DAW, Studio One Pro 5.5. I repeated that process a couple of times to get a complete song. I put the chords into BiaB, selected the style, and the rest is history.

BiaB style = East Coast Groove - Funky Boogal
Tempo = 120 PBM

The scaler track = Keys of the 70's - Stage Mark 73
Bass - Ample Bass - YingYang
Piano = UVI Workstation - B5 organ
Guitar - I copied this track 2 more times. I deleted all but one part per track and where there wasn't third part I added one.
First part -Trumpet - Kontakt - Screaming Trumpet
Second part - Swam Trumpet
Third part - Swam Tenor Sax
Strings - Swam Bari Sax
Drums - Steven Slate SSD5 - Funk kit
Hand Claps - UVI Workstation - GM drums - standard kit
Maracas - Kontakt - Maracas
Tambourine - Kontakt - Tambourine

I modified a few tracks to my liking and hopefully yours also.

I am playing the guitar and via my keyboard controller the Swam Alto Sax

I added the Little Plate preset full plate reverb to a few tracks, Waves CDA drums on the drums and cymbals, and Presonus Pro EQ on the master track.

As always I welcome all comments.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Groove Moves - 08/09/22 10:23 PM
Nice!

The set-in of the electric guitar right after the saxophone at 1:00 was unexpected, but it works.

In general, I think you may want to try RealDrums instead of GM/VST(I) drums in a future recording. They will probably sound better, albeit it can sometimes be a little bit hard to find the correct RD. We are still using BIAB 2019. Do they already have a "best chording/fitting" RD in recent versions? If not, that would be a nice feature :-).

Since you are pretty good with a MIDI controller, may I take this opportunity to request a soul/disco instrumental next time? With a trumpet lead (something in the style of Street Player - Chicago)?
(hint, hint: RD Soul70sPercEv16)?

cool

Rob
Posted By: MarioD Re: Groove Moves - 08/09/22 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Nice!

The set-in of the electric guitar right after the saxophone at 1:00 was unexpected, but it works.

In general, I think you may want to try RealDrums instead of GM/VST(I) drums in a future recording. They will probably sound better, albeit it can sometimes be a little bit hard to find the correct RD. We are still using BIAB 2019. Do they already have a "best chording/fitting" RD in recent versions? If not, that would be a nice feature :-).

Since you are pretty good with a MIDI controller, may I take this opportunity to request a soul/disco instrumental next time? With a trumpet lead (something in the style of Street Player - Chicago)?
(hint, hint: RD Soul70sPercEv16)?

cool

Rob

Thanx so much for listening and commenting. The drums were not GM drums. They were Steven Slate's SSD 5 drums. The only GM sound was the hand clap.

I prefer MIDI drums because MIDI does an excellent job emulating drums, using of course a good sound source, and the fact that I can easily modify any drum or cymbal part. I can not easily do that with RDs. However I do not knock RDs or RTs as many put them to excellent use and in fact I will occasionally use them myself.

No promises but I will give it a try when time permits. Right now I have a lot going on.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Groove Moves - 08/10/22 12:26 PM
Mario,

Man does that guitar sound good when it comes in! I love the whole track! I like it when you switch gears like this and throw in something upbeat as opposed to a lot of the dreamy ethereal material you post, which by the way is always excellent! Keep on rockin'

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Groove Moves - 08/10/22 01:57 PM
Cool sound Mario, and great guitar work. Loved the production with all the instruments you used and how you used them.
Posted By: rsdean Re: Groove Moves - 08/10/22 02:06 PM
Mario,

What a great sound! Love the production and the guitar with the tracks sounds awesome.

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Groove Moves - 08/11/22 02:38 PM
Mario,

Well done.
Cool guitar sound.

Always love those Ample Sound basses!

Good mix.

A good listen.

fj
Posted By: firesong Re: Groove Moves - 08/11/22 03:12 PM
Mario...another great tune my friend...I agree with Torrey and like it when you go up-tempo...there's a lot going on here and it's all good!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Groove Moves - 08/11/22 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Mario,

Man does that guitar sound good when it comes in! I love the whole track! I like it when you switch gears like this and throw in something upbeat as opposed to a lot of the dreamy ethereal material you post, which by the way is always excellent! Keep on rockin'

Thanks, Torrey

Torrey, thanx so much for this kind review. A Windows update made a mess of my AmpliTube guitar sim so I had to use an older different amp sim. I thought it came out OK also. Thanx for noticing.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Groove Moves - 08/11/22 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Cool sound Mario, and great guitar work. Loved the production with all the instruments you used and how you used them.

Thanx Brad for listening and commenting. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Mario,

What a great sound! Love the production and the guitar with the tracks sounds awesome.

Bob

Thanx so much Bob.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Groove Moves - 08/11/22 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Mario,

Well done.
Cool guitar sound.

Always love those Ample Sound basses!

Good mix.

A good listen.

fj

Thanx Floyd. Those Ample Basses was the only thing that I have ever won, other than the wife of course, and they are awesome.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Groove Moves - 08/11/22 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Mario...another great tune my friend...I agree with Torrey and like it when you go up-tempo...there's a lot going on here and it's all good!

Thanx Dan. I took some Geritol that morning so I could speed up a little grin

I may try that again wink
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Groove Moves - 08/12/22 08:20 AM
Very nice, Mario, good groove. I especially like your guitar work on this one, good tone and chops. Sax is cool too of course!
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Groove Moves - 08/13/22 05:00 PM
There's a lot to love here with the all around excellent performances by you and the production.

However, the most positive comment I can offer is that Janice said, "it gives me happy feet!"

Trust me (Bud) that says it all!

J&B
Posted By: MarioD Re: Groove Moves - 08/13/22 08:18 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Very nice, Mario, good groove. I especially like your guitar work on this one, good tone and chops. Sax is cool too of course!

Thanx so much for those guitar chop accolades. Coming from a guitarist as good as you are that is a great honor.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Groove Moves - 08/13/22 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
There's a lot to love here with the all around excellent performances by you and the production.

However, the most positive comment I can offer is that Janice said, "it gives me happy feet!"

Trust me (Bud) that says it all!

J&B

Thanx J&B. A wife with "happy feet" is a very good thing!
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Groove Moves - 08/14/22 06:47 AM
Hi Mario
The song grooves really good
Your guitar sounds great
Very good background track
well done
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: jannesan Re: Groove Moves - 08/14/22 01:53 PM
Pleasant chord progression with lots of melancholy, little bit upbeat at one part, some fusion feeling with the guitar and then ending with a major chord. The introduction of the electric guitar is very nice, like Santana joining the band and the crowd cheering. The brass instruments support the groove effectively.

Janne
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Groove Moves - 08/14/22 02:30 PM
Howdy Mario....

I agree with previous posts.

Cool, smooth, easy listening groove.
Makes me want to have a stiff G&T while watching the waves and the birds. smile

Well done!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Groove Moves - 08/14/22 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Mario
The song grooves really good
Your guitar sounds great
Very good background track
well done
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanx Andi for your very nice comments.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Pleasant chord progression with lots of melancholy, little bit upbeat at one part, some fusion feeling with the guitar and then ending with a major chord. The introduction of the electric guitar is very nice, like Santana joining the band and the crowd cheering. The brass instruments support the groove effectively.

Janne

Thanx so much Janne for this wonderful review.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Groove Moves - 08/15/22 07:58 PM
Yup, I agree with the happy feet comment!

Groovy tune, Complex and well arranged.
Posted By: rayc Re: Groove Moves - 08/15/22 09:18 PM
Great to hear some guitar again...you do it so well that it should always have a feature spot.
The bass sounds just a little thing to my ears...no bottom end to lock into the kick groove.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Groove Moves - 08/15/22 09:50 PM
Very well done and the song had a great groove.

Charlie
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Groove Moves - 08/16/22 08:33 AM
Man, your creativity never disappoints, Mario. Such variety and all so good. Good groove here, and I like the way it moves.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Groove Moves - 08/16/22 10:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Yup, I agree with the happy feet comment!

Groovy tune, Complex and well arranged.

Thanx so much for listening and commenting. I'm glad that you like it.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Great to hear some guitar again...you do it so well that it should always have a feature spot.
The bass sounds just a little thing to my ears...no bottom end to lock into the kick groove.

Thanx for that guitar remark as guitar is my first instrument.

Thanx for that bass comment. I'll make a note of that for my next song. I appreciate all constructive comments.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Groove Moves - 08/16/22 10:15 AM
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
Very well done and the song had a great groove.

Charlie

Thanx so much Charlie.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Man, your creativity never disappoints, Mario. Such variety and all so good. Good groove here, and I like the way it moves.

Thanx so much. I believe my variety comes from years of being in wedding bands. I became a jack of all trades and a master of none. That plus my brain is a half a bubble of center.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Groove Moves - 08/17/22 06:58 AM
Hi MarioD,

The alto sax playing is excellent. Beautiful rhythmic line, well colored musically. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Scott C Re: Groove Moves - 08/17/22 11:03 PM
Excellent tune. Really cool guitar work. Loved the instrument selection. Well done
© PG Music Forums