PG Music Home
SONG TITLE : "ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME"

ARTIST : moi..ALF-L..(a 'cockney' lad from london (c) 2021)

****BEFORE PLAYING THE SONG PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING.****
1. due to the variety of playback systems out there. watch your levels till comfortable with song...apologies if the listener hates the song. use earbuds if possible.
please note, and feel free to critique, this is one of those songs that i cant ever seem to improve on , no matter how much i strive. please note i'm well aware the song has some 'flaws'.
but whats interesting is that people not deep into tech details of song production seem to enjoy it. thus i would ask for any critiques be focused on 'is the song catchy' rather any production flaws. ie a 'man in the street ' viewpoint.
also let me say it would have been impossible to do the song without biab/Realband and the real tracks/drums. i know this cos i tried to produce the song couple of times in thr past and failed.
i also use some of my own guitar tracks useing jackson and peavey guitars.
i really like the 'paceing' of it, but in reality the song should have been done in a big studio with top audio engineers/session players and hardware facilities/accoutriments. unfortunately i had no budget for such due to other family commitments. however fyi ive tried to re-record songs in big facilities in the past, BUT with the result people seemed to like the demo better sometimes. dont get me wrong ive also had some excellent times in commercial studios.

2. i like to sing in and experiment with many different vocal styles. this is one of them.
fwiw ive sung in everything from opera groups through church/folk/ballads/blues/rock/hard rock/metal and goodness what else..lol. i just love doing vocals. its my "thing" as it were.
and i enjoy the vocal challenges that different music styles present. unfortunately i'm loseing some of the upper vocal ranges i used to take for granted as i age....sigh.

3. Backstory.
ive only written a few country tunes in my time, but i really enjoyed the challenge of this one.
my aim was something "different and catchy". and that bopped along fast that was 'danceable'.
my vision was people at a country fair/party forgetting their daily hassles... dancing and haveing a wonderfull time and haveing fun watching lots of clowns being crazy and going on rides.
i dont know the genre..maybe 'country pop or rock'. ??
i particularly like the 'outtro' where i talk about 'watching the clowns being crazy' etc.
(i'm sorry ive forgotten the biab/rb song picker style i used on this one cos.i do soooo many songs each year and right now i cant get to my other locations where all my song details are... doctors orders etc.).

4. like all my songs , i used the biab/rb/reaper combo to create this one.
i use plug ins spareingly from the pg collection, the reaper collection, and computer musig mag uk collection. my tenet is if i cant do a good song with the 3 collecctions which number bout 200 plug ins or more total then its my fault..lol.

fwiw... ive been a pg user for a long time and started with powertracks. in addition i have been a reaper user from nearly day 1 and started at V0.99 lol.
(ive done about 90 original songs useing this combo over many years.)

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE SONG>>>>>

https://soundcloud.com/user-302791555/cpartycalfl21-1-0mp3

happiness to all.
oldmuso
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/14/22 12:37 AM
Sure sounds like a party to me.
Thanks for the invite.
Rob4580
Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/14/22 12:39 AM
The intro & featured lead guitar sound new wave...actually the whole thing does...Nick Lowe style New Wave.
I suspect a rock'n'country would have a more harmonically rich overdrive guitar rather than distorted.
Seems the steel & using the word "country" are the nods to the genre.
Your songs remind me of the work of a writing partner I've worked with on & off since 1976...he does great stuff but, as a result of his theatre arts training, likes to "act" in his songs.
Hi om
Sounds really cool
The beginning is very good
Makes a huge fun to listen
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: RnAM Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/14/22 08:54 AM
I'll have to agree that recording a song in a "professional"/commercial studio surely does not always mean that it's actually going to sound better. I have experienced this several times in the past. There is usually no time (time is money) to get into the song's arrangement details as much as you would like.

At least two times in my case, my initial (four-track cassette!) recording sounded better in retrospect.

Good to hear that you like to experiment with different vocal styles! I can really appreciate that.

Your song:

I think it sounds really good and powerful! The vocal is excellent. It sounds like you are using some kind of "doubler", or a really short delay? This makes the vocal sound really solid.

The song is catchy for sure and will do for the audience just what you had in mind.

Indeed, the ending of the song with the talking part sounds natural to me and works well.

Rob
Rob…Ray….RnAM…Andi.

thanks so much for listening and commenting.
much appreciated.

Re 'theatrics"...and me having fun with theatrics….some inside info …lmao.

theatrics prolly goe back to my time in bands when the mates/fellow musos would ask me to go bonkers cos that way they would hope to get women throwing stuff at us…stuff i cant mention in this forum lol.
prolly even earlier when i sang in a 'snooty' church choir and drove the choirmaster nuts on occasion with our pranks.
my lovely wife gave me a nice b'day card in july where she said i was a 'wild crazy adventure' .lol.

Re. Doubling.
yep there are lots of methods to thicken vocs of course.
on this song what i did was copy the vocs to another copy trak , slipped the copy vocs ahead a tad millisec or so and added some slight fx from the pg echo/chorus dxi plug in. i also used a tad compression.
then i put the copy voc trak under the original voc trak. i dont use autotune, cos my belief is that the odd 'off' voc note is just 'human'. however if the voc trak is totally pear shaped…then i re-sing the voc parts/composit to get final voc track. i like doing crazy stuff and experiment.

re..time pressure in big studios. i agree. but i have to be fair…ive had good experiences too.

ps can someone please clarify a question re soundcloud ??
ie after i upload a new song to SC it asks me if i want some mastering thingy used.
what is this ? is it useful ? i normally bypass it. thanks for any advice.

Re...steel .

Ray mebe the song crosses genres ?

happiness to all.

om

Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/14/22 11:14 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso

ps can someone please clarify a question re soundcloud ??
ie after i upload a new song to SC it asks me if i want some mastering thingy used.
what is this ? is it useful ? i normally bypass it. thanks for any advice.

SC offers an online automatic PAY FOR IT mastering service. I don't know anyone who uses it.
At best it'll EQ to a genre spec and limit to the correct Lufs for the streamer.
At worst - mangle for money.
I just click away from it.
om,

I agree with ray's label of "new wave" (I'd further qualify it as New Wave Pop).
A nice Pop Rocker. Mix sounds good.

fj
Posted By: MarioD Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/16/22 10:31 AM
OM, this sounds great

Super vocal and mix

I would classify this in the "good sounding music genre".

Loved it
Catchy poppy tune.

Vocal is clear and pleasant.

Nostalgic feel!

Rockin' good time.

smile
Posted By: firesong Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/17/22 03:53 PM
Justin...nice kickin' song...your vocal reminds me of Ringo Starr on some of his country stuff...lots-o-fun!
Mario…Ezekiel….Floyd….David….firesong.
(ps apologies for not thanking everyone earlier..family stuff cropped up.)

thanks soooo much for listening.
i really appreciate all your talents and your comments.. kudos to you all.

lol…i'm kinda 'thrown' by the new wave comment.
but its all good.

i guess my rock 'roots' are showing…lol. i thought using country steel might qualify the song as country in some way. frankly the song was oodles of work. my reason for writing it was theres often too much hurt in the world…and being a romantic/happy go lucky type myself i wanted a happy danceable song.

thanks once again.

Rayc.
thanks for clarification of soundcloud mastering. much appreciated.

happiness to all.
om

Posted By: rayc Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/17/22 08:57 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Mario…Ezekiel….Floyd….David….firesong.

lol…i'm kinda 'thrown' by the new wave comment.
but its all good.

Remember Elvis Costello's debut album, pre Attractions, featured a US country rock band, Clover, as backing on all tracks, (luckily Huey Lewis their singer decided to take a holiday during the sessions), - it holds its New Waveness high but the country styling shows through & EC always loved country.
Whatever genre it belongs in it is a fun song and you achieved your party feel goal!

We agree with Firesong that your vocal reminds us a little of Ringo in this song. smile

Enjoyed the party!

Rock on ... country on ... pop on smile

J&B
Hi justanoldmuso,

Very catchy and rythmic composition. Well done. I appreciated

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/18/22 08:42 PM
It's definitely a song that you'd get up an dance to. It's poppy, peppy and gallops along nicely.
Ghostgum…..Jn'B (4T)...JJFlash.

thanks for listening and comments. very appreciated.
kudos to all your individual talents.

i have to say that one positive of the user showcase is it forces me to 'up my game' as there is sooo much talent on these forums, and great songs.

i would also like to say it would have been impossible to do Country Party if not for PG products (bb//rb//rt's//rd's.).
i think i went thru' every single rt and rd and numerous tests in my quest to find what worked for the song. i'm very tough on myself, and my wife and friends are even tougher on me…lol.

once again thank you everyone.

happiness to all.
om
PS Rayc. re Costello..good point.
Great energy on this one! It almost sounded like a rocker to me instead of country - almost. Nice work, I enjoyed it.
Posted By: Scott C Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/20/22 10:15 PM
Very cool tune. Loved the vocal. I really loved your instrumentation as well. Well done..
TuneMonger….Scott C.

thanks for taking the time to listen and commenting.
very much appreciated.

obviously Scott i'm not up to your level of guitar skill just stuff i picked up singing in various muso groups and playing along with classic songs…but at least nobody has told me yet my intro guitar licks were awful at this song beginning. …lol.
thank goodness for computer editing.

i'm always v nervous laying down guitar tracks.

oodles of respect to you both and happiness.

om
oldmuso,

Very inventive and creative track! I was expecting a Country tune but this reminds me of a Blondie song with the exception of the steel guitar part! I loved it! Great use of instrumentation and the vocal was delivered in fine fashion! Your tunes are always very enjoyable!

Thanks, Torrey
Torrey.

thank you sooo much… means a lot to me. as your so talented yourself.

Re "Creative". i bet my wife calls me a different name sometimes…lol..
fyi inside joke..i still marvel that she threw over some upper class well off suitors for me a poor cockney lad. we always say 'stupid love'..lol. she even heartily pushes me always in my musical journey if i beat myself up at times doing a song.

fwiw i go thru' every single rt and see how i might use it in a song.
obviously its a looong process, but if i had not done that in this song i wouldnt have discovered i liked the 'steel' so much in the song and how well i felt it fitted the song.

my 'fun' also..lol…is…when bb tells me a certain rt is not applicable..ie like my granny used to say bb says 'naughty lad/wrong genre'..lol..i try the rt anyway cos ive had many happy accidents this way. i love to 'manipulate' the rt's.

gonna go have a cuppa 'Rosie Lee' now. (best pekoe tea is King Cole imho.)

happiness .
om
Posted By: Al-David Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/24/22 01:03 AM
om ...

Really nice! Glad you sent all of us an invitation. I came across it fairly late so didn't have time for an RSVP - so, I just crashed the party.

Referring to two previous comments (sometimes I read other comments first, sometimes not. There's no explicable rhyme or reason to my decision), it comes a cross to me as an Elvis Costello arrangement and Ringo vocal.

I enjoyed it a lot! New Wave Country, as someone else suggested, sounds about right. That'll have Hank Williams turning over in his grave!

Nice listen - thanks!

Alan
Fun song!!! Great live sound!!!.......sounds like a fun party!! Take care. Greg
Al-David…Greg.

very nice of you both.

thanks for takeing time from your day and listening.

much appreciated.

fyi..for a long time i wrestled with finding the 'right' RT' to use as the lead instrument in this song.
then suddenly after testing loads of RT's the steel sorta 'popped up' on my testing. thanks to my trusty 3 ring binder where i comment on each RT.

obviously i dont have the instrument plug in budget of the big recording studios..
in many respects this is a 'blessing' , cos this 'forces' me to be inventive with the gear i have.
ie the RT's as one example. i do lots of 'bonkers stuff' with the RT's lol.

Of course one could work on a song a zillion hours and still a song might be not to someones taste somewhere….
been there done that ..lol... so i figure to keep my 'sanity' the only solution is to create a song i like and hope other people like it too. i hope i make sense. my prime objective being to just have big FUN as PG says.

keep rockin' and thanks once again for taking the time to listen and comment. your both great people.

happiness.

om

WOW, Om, pushing the play button was like opening the door to a great-fun party. I had to duck a swinging arm of one of the crazies dancing too close to the entrance. Good mix and use of BiaB cats. I really like the songs you produce. every one of them is such fun.
Babu.

i really really appreciate the listens and comments.

spot on bout having fun. my prime objective is 'major enjoyment' doing songs.
talking of 'fun', and i'm more a singer than guitarist..for 'giggles' on this song i played the intro guitar motifs.

fyi…years ago i used to obsess constantly bout 'is someone somewhere on the planet gonna hate this song'...and thus after several years doing such and driving moi bonkers..lol…i finally realised the sensible approach was to do the level best i could on a song and bring the song concept to a level that made me happy.

i work very very hard , as taught me in big studios, on 'sound picture' and 'song hooks'.
i'm my own worst critic , and my lovely wife is always on hand to tell me if my song concept is 'awfull'. she is 'tough' lol.

i'm waiting with 'baited breath' to see what BIAB and RB 2023 will bring in new sounds and features.

great respect to you and happiness.

om

Posted By: rsdean Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/26/22 07:59 AM
oldmuso,

This sounds great. Love the energy and vocal. Great mix!

Bob
rsdean

too kind of you bob.

much appreciated.

keep rocking mate

happiness

om
Posted By: Deej56 Re: NEW SONG >>> " ITS COUNTRY PARTY TIME " - 08/28/22 05:06 PM
justanoldmuso:

Well, that was a lot of fun to listen to. I think you’ve created a new genre—country punk. :-). Really catchy tune—hard not to bop along with. Great vocal. Good stuff!

Best regards,

Deej
I am by no means a country expert, but this is NOT a country song grin

Listening to the intro, it reminds me of Punk Pop and New Wave and I would have expected Debbie Harry to join in.

Personally, I would remove the steel guitar to make it New Wave, but I also like your song as it is now.

Very catchy, a nice drive and your vocals fit the song very well.
Deej…BD Thomas.

Thanks sooo much for listening. much appreciated.

Re…both your comments.

1..'country punk new genre'. <<< my wife got a big hoot out of that as did i.
but then my wife thinks i'm bonkers anyway.and as she says 'never a dull moment'.
to quote her..'that's why i went for you, you big lug'. lol.

2..'steel guitar'. <<< actually as you've probably guessed fyi the song posed a conundrum for moi. … viz…whenever i tried a different instrument the song picture i found didn't have the same 'impact' for me. and believe me when i say i tried practically every instrument.
let me add I was keying off the fact many people have said to me over the years 'the country genre often all sounds the same'. thus i was going for 'outside the norm'.

fyi i subscribe to Mr Gannons saying about having lots of 'FUN'.
if i screw up so be it….I've had lots of fun in the process..lol.

I'm sure if I was working for a label I would be expected to follow certain established songwriting norms for any genre I was creating songs for.

Thanks once again for the listens and comments.
super nice of you both to listen.

I apologize for being a bit 'nutty'. My wife gave me 'almond butter' for b'fast on an english muffin this morning …i'm told its good for me…lol.

happiness to you both.

om
© PG Music Forums