PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 10:19 AM

How Can I Begin on Soundclound
How Can I Begin on YouTube

Key=A , Tempo 86, Length (m:s)=3:26
74 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 74. Repeat x1 chorus
Style is _HARTBRK.STY (Heartbreak Mellow Nashville Pop)

RealTracks in style: 1839:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 3520:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Americana16thsDelayBrent Ev16 075
RealTracks in style: 1831:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopModernGrooveBrightA-B Ev16 075
RealTracks in song: 2820:Harp, Rhythm ClassicalSlow8ths Ev 085
Loop in Song: AcousticDrumFullKit\Funk Rock - 44rides100a ev16.wav
RealTracks in song: ~~1056:Sax, Alto, Soloist SmoothJazzCool Sw16 075
RealDrums in style:RockBritDrivingEv16^4-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, Open HiHat

Of course, I can't ask Dave to do all the solos, although I've bugged him on a few I knew he'd rather not do, and he came through brilliantly. This one was only 8 bars AND the last two slowed down. Man, it took a long time and many re-generations of multitracks to get something where the timber of the sax was semi consistent. I played bass and sang.
Please let me know how the song can be improved (besides the obvious of getting a better singer).

How Can I Begin

How can I begin to tell you I love you in that way?
Remember we're just friends, and friends are hard to find you always say?
How can I begin to tell you that I love you fearing that you might just run?
Something in the wind says we could be more than friends. You might just be the one.

How can I begin to show you the feelings in my heart?
You know you always said the Plato Path was ours from the start.
How can I begin to change the way you hear me when I only whisper the truth?
Somehow let me. We should be more than friends. I know I'm right for you.

When you smile you nearly take my heart into your eyes.
You never know why I seem blue.
When the day is done you leave and my heart only cries.
It wonders why I cannot go with you.

How can I begin to tell you that I love you fearing that you might just run?
Something in the wind says we could be more than friends.
You know you are the one for me.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 10:49 AM
(besides the obvious of getting a better singer).

You're kidding right Marty? You did an excellent job on the vocals here. Your pitch is spot on! I love the song, it's a beauty! I know what you mean about having to have some patience dealing with those soloist tracks to get the right sound, but man you make it work here. It flows really well! Loved the key change...very effective!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: rsdean Re: How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 11:01 AM
Marty,

This is an excellent song - love the arrangement and the sax is great. Shades of Gerry Rafferty... Very nice!

Awesome vocal and the production is wonderful. Great, great mix.

Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 11:22 AM
This is a wonderful love song with lyrics I can relate to.
And that's a killer sax solo!

The only small nitty-gritty I have is slowing down the end of the solo, I think just letting the solo slowly fade while you start singing would make the flow more consistent.

But that's just nitpicking, I already love it how it is now smile
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 01:01 PM
Wonderful song, Marty, one of your best I think.

Really nice melody, and your vocal sounds great.

I wouldn't have minded playing on this one just so you know wink Although the sax guy did a good job for you.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 02:36 PM
Marty,

A "sensitive love song" - well done. Seems much more than a platonic relationship.

A good vocal!
Love of the Bass (of course).
A really nice melody.
A very good mix.

Yes, one of your best.

fj
Posted By: firesong Re: How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 04:23 PM
Marty...absolutely top-shelf...Wow! that slow down with the solo is amazing...I bet that did take a while...It's hard (as great as the BiaB tracks are) to pinpoint the right phrases and puzzle them together to form a particular solo for a particular piece of music...but you nailed it!! I think I like the texture of your vocal best...your softer delivery on this song at the beginning was really effective...you are a master at forming great BaiB tracks...and again...love the video!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 04:50 PM
Who is this guy with the coyote skin hat banging out great song after great song???

Somebody give this guy a record deal !

Great job . . .
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 07:11 PM
Fantastic Marty! Really, really good. I thought your vocals really stand out. Good write, good production - just a good job all the way around. I can't really think of a way to improve it. You might try some background vocals, but that would probably just make it different, not necessarily better. That slow down sounds really tricky - good stuff!
Posted By: RnAM Re: How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 08:48 PM
Marty,

As always, when offered audio only or video I know what to choose: the video!

"A strong attraction in a platonic relationship"....Hmm,.. I came across a couple of those in my days.

The very first thing that struck me was that this is your best vocal to date IMHO.

The emotion in the song is compelling and the composition is really good. You've also managed to get the saxophone solo entirely right (I know just how it is to regenerate soloist RTs multiple times until you get it just the way you want it!)

Very enjoyable video as well.

Rob
Posted By: Al-David Re: How Can I Begin - 08/25/22 10:02 PM
Hi Marty ...

Man, I really like this! Uh - no better singer needed - this guy is doing a stand-out job.

Been there - done that. Sure is frustrating! But in the end, I'm happy all has turned out the way it did! Nice work on the tempo change and sax. I don't think you need to change a thing - it's just fine as is.
h
Alan
Posted By: rayc Re: How Can I Begin - 08/26/22 07:32 PM
A song that is written by Marty, sung by Marty & has bass by Marty has a head start in life.
This one kept its pace and stayed out front for the win.
You def picked the right processing for the vocal mate.
I like the slow down/false ending...in fact I'd have added a beat or two of silence to exaggerate it but that's just me.
Lovely stuff.
Posted By: PeterF Re: How Can I Begin - 08/26/22 07:47 PM
Marty

That was an excellent performance and a lovely song.

The sax worked well (I played along for fun). Nice ending and a top notch song.

Peter
Posted By: MarioD Re: How Can I Begin - 08/26/22 08:22 PM
Marty, you have a great voice so don't knock it.

This is top shelf all the way
Great vocal
Super love song
Outstanding mix - nice slow down on the guitar lead - brilliant

Loved it
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: How Can I Begin - 08/27/22 02:58 PM
Quote:
Where do I begin?

This song tells me you've already begun and, if it doesn't win her over, then maybe nothing will.

Instrument choice, arrangement, melody, lyrics, production - all top notch.:)
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: How Can I Begin - 08/27/22 05:51 PM
That's a different take on the old love theme.

I'm sure it's a sentiment that has been felt by many but not so commonly expressed in a song. Excellent.

It's all there man, the already mentioned write, the melody, bass and vocals ... and of course the mix.

As others have mentioned the sax is great. I've spent time trying to comp up a sax solo but not with this result.

And, last but assuredly not least the video imagery was perfecto for the lyric.

Nice!

J&B
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: How Can I Begin - 08/27/22 07:45 PM
Very pretty song Marty!!! Different for you....a mellow ballad, which you also sing very well!! I know what you mean about the saxes........some of them sound very different on different phrases. Sax is complicated......I think it is the most complex instrument to the human voice. Really cool song!!! Take care. Greg
Posted By: Deej56 Re: How Can I Begin - 08/28/22 05:05 PM
Marty,

Engaging tune with a rich vocal turn, hitting on the right notes of sadness and longing. Good write and stellar mix. Solos in BIAB are always a tricky thing—sometimes they work just great on the first stand . . . and other times you have to labor over them. I absolutely love how you slow down the tempo at the end of that solo—a brilliant touch!

Hope all is well in your world,

Deej
Posted By: musician17 Re: How Can I Begin - 08/28/22 05:21 PM
In my humble opinion, your best so far. And that's even before the slowed down section, which - for me - takes it up a notch, even more. And the video is beautiful. You are a real sensitive musician, and - from our brief conversations between one song comment and another - a great human being. Both show in this song, and how. Bravo - keep going.

P.S. about the "better singer" comment ... it's true, neither of us are Freddie Mercury or anything. BUT: the emotion with which you sing is yours and yours alone. I've often thought of delegating singing duty to others, in my own songs, whenever there's a need for an actually sung melody. But: no. If I did that, the whole emotionally charged, authentic atmosphere would dissipate immediately, I feel. Same with you ... you sing and sing well, and comfortably well enough to communicate what you want, in the way you want it in. So ... please sing and don't worry :-) Thanks for sharing this with us :-)
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: How Can I Begin - 08/29/22 09:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
(besides the obvious of getting a better singer).

You're kidding right Marty? You did an excellent job on the vocals here. Your pitch is spot on! I love the song, it's a beauty! I know what you mean about having to have some patience dealing with those soloist tracks to get the right sound, but man you make it work here. It flows really well! Loved the key change...very effective!

Thanks, Torrey

Thanks, Torrey. Not kidding about the singer, but I'll give it up. Yeah, that key change is to show the singers rising desperation.

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty,

This is an excellent song - love the arrangement and the sax is great. Shades of Gerry Rafferty... Very nice!

Awesome vocal and the production is wonderful. Great, great mix.

Loved it!

Bob

Wow. Thanks so much, Bob.

Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
This is a wonderful love song with lyrics I can relate to.
And that's a killer sax solo!

The only small nitty-gritty I have is slowing down the end of the solo, I think just letting the solo slowly fade while you start singing would make the flow more consistent.

But that's just nitpicking, I already love it how it is now smile

Thanks, BD! Very helpful comment. I always like to hear how others would do it differently, and I learn a lot from it. In this case, I like the change in tempo; it's as if the singer is filling his lungs to belt out the last plea of desperation.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Wonderful song, Marty, one of your best I think.

Really nice melody, and your vocal sounds great.

I wouldn't have minded playing on this one just so you know wink Although the sax guy did a good job for you.

Thanks, Dave. You're always so accommodating and I often feel like I'm taking advantage of our friendship or something. Yes, you would've saved me hours and came in with a far better solo --hey, it's not too late. wink

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

A "sensitive love song" - well done. Seems much more than a platonic relationship.

A good vocal!
Love of the Bass (of course).
A really nice melody.
A very good mix.

Yes, one of your best.

fj

Thanks, Floyd. At least one side seems to want to elevate the relationship, but the girl has yet to write her song.
Posted By: jannesan Re: How Can I Begin - 08/29/22 01:09 PM
Touching lyrics, maybe quite common situation and you have expressed that feeling really convincingly. Emotional heartbreaking vocal delivery, this song doesn't need another singer. Nice mellow band and good work with the sax, the slow down is very creative choice.

Janne
Posted By: Scott C Re: How Can I Begin - 08/30/22 10:30 PM
Awesome tune Marty. I think your vocal was perfect for the tune. Excellent lyric and loved the backtrack. Loved the sax.
Posted By: dcuny Re: How Can I Begin - 08/31/22 01:17 AM
I like it! laugh

Nothing jumps out needing improvement, except perhaps boosting the vocal a hair (but that could be my old ears). I don't see anyone else mentioning the volume of the vocal, so it's probably just my old ears.

No issue with the vocalist at all - your voice sounds fine here.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: How Can I Begin - 08/31/22 09:12 AM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Marty...absolutely top-shelf...Wow! that slow down with the solo is amazing...I bet that did take a while...It's hard (as great as the BiaB tracks are) to pinpoint the right phrases and puzzle them together to form a particular solo for a particular piece of music...but you nailed it!! I think I like the texture of your vocal best...your softer delivery on this song at the beginning was really effective...you are a master at forming great BaiB tracks...and again...love the video!

Thanks, Dan. I learned somewhere on this forum that the best way to slow down like that is to half the measures. So I changed to 2/4 and gradually reduced the tempo each measure. Then brought it back in a little less than the original tempo to give it more of a human feel.

Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Who is this guy with the coyote skin hat banging out great song after great song???

Somebody give this guy a record deal !

Great job . . .

Hi, Steve. Thanks. I'm happy to be too old to promote cuz now I can do the music I want. Oh, and my hat is completely plant-based. wink

Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Fantastic Marty! Really, really good. I thought your vocals really stand out. Good write, good production - just a good job all the way around. I can't really think of a way to improve it. You might try some background vocals, but that would probably just make it different, not necessarily better. That slow down sounds really tricky - good stuff!

Thanks so much, Brad. I tried some BGVs, but you're right, it wasn't an improvement. That slow down part is explained above to Firesong.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Marty,

As always, when offered audio only or video I know what to choose: the video!

"A strong attraction in a platonic relationship"....Hmm,.. I came across a couple of those in my days.

The very first thing that struck me was that this is your best vocal to date IMHO.

The emotion in the song is compelling and the composition is really good. You've also managed to get the saxophone solo entirely right (I know just how it is to regenerate soloist RTs multiple times until you get it just the way you want it!)

Very enjoyable video as well.

Rob

Hi Rob. Yeah, both ends of a platonic relationship where one wants to raise the stakes can be uncomfortable. Thanks so much for all your kind words of encouragement.
Posted By: F.M.M. Re: How Can I Begin - 08/31/22 12:14 PM
Hi Marty really great song love it very well done my friend thanks for sharing Eric
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: How Can I Begin - 08/31/22 12:35 PM
Hi Marty
WOW this is a real hit
Sounds cool
Great sung
And the sax solo fits perfectly
Really good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: How Can I Begin - 08/31/22 04:42 PM
Marty,
Beautiful (platonic) love tune. You know your bass smile Vocals A+. Sax is VERY consistent to my ears. Love what you did at 2:50, very cool shift. Listens very well. Neat Vid too. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I tried to come up with with constructive suggestion, so I listened to it several times on different sets of headphones. Neutral AKG's (my studio headphones) and consumer pair (which has enhanced bass, as most of them do). While tune sounded great on a neutral pair, the consumer set was a bit too bass rich. Also, your vocals are great, but I think a bit dry, given overall composition. A little reverb?
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: How Can I Begin - 09/01/22 09:01 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Marty ...

Man, I really like this! Uh - no better singer needed - this guy is doing a stand-out job.

Been there - done that. Sure is frustrating! But in the end, I'm happy all has turned out the way it did! Nice work on the tempo change and sax. I don't think you need to change a thing - it's just fine as is.
h
Alan

Thanks so much, Al. Your opinion is important to me.

Originally Posted By: rayc
A song that is written by Marty, sung by Marty & has bass by Marty has a head start in life.
This one kept its pace and stayed out front for the win.
You def picked the right processing for the vocal mate.
I like the slow down/false ending...in fact I'd have added a beat or two of silence to exaggerate it but that's just me.
Lovely stuff.

HAHA. Wish I could say that about my kids. And yeah, that's a great idea to add silence. Really accent the pause just before the singer finally gives into his desire. Unfortunately I've already included it in my next album that has been sent off to be released on the 17th. That happens a lot. Never done with the mix. The most updated version is always on my website, but that's more for storage than promotion.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty

That was an excellent performance and a lovely song.

The sax worked well (I played along for fun). Nice ending and a top notch song.

Peter

Hello, Peter. So glad you like it. Man, I'd love to hear you playing along.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Marty, you have a great voice so don't knock it.

This is top shelf all the way
Great vocal
Super love song
Outstanding mix - nice slow down on the guitar lead - brilliant

Loved it
Hey, Mario. I'll stop knocking my voice. The thing is that I know how it sounds by itself. The trick is to surround it with good sounds, and it's a lot harder when I don't have Dave in my corner.
Posted By: Leon1 Re: How Can I Begin - 09/04/22 01:00 AM
A very nice love song, Marty. To risk ruining a friendship by professing stronger feelings...it's always a tough call. I don't think you need to look for a better singer.
Regards,
Leon
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: How Can I Begin - 09/04/22 01:03 AM
I almost missed this one for some reason and I am really glad I didn't. Def one of your best. I have an affinity for the subject matter because it was basically the story of my early adult years. That aside, I loved the song itself, the terrific vocal, the sax and the great ending. Like I said, one of your best for sure.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: How Can I Begin - 09/04/22 10:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
Quote:
Where do I begin?

This song tells me you've already begun and, if it doesn't win her over, then maybe nothing will.

Instrument choice, arrangement, melody, lyrics, production - all top notch.:)

Thanks, Brian. Yes, I know a couple who started out as friends until one of them tried breaking the barrier. They just celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
That's a different take on the old love theme.

I'm sure it's a sentiment that has been felt by many but not so commonly expressed in a song. Excellent.

It's all there man, the already mentioned write, the melody, bass and vocals ... and of course the mix.

As others have mentioned the sax is great. I've spent time trying to comp up a sax solo but not with this result.

And, last but assuredly not least the video imagery was perfecto for the lyric.

Nice!

J&B

Thanks, Janice & Bud. Yeah, it seems I leaned on an old songwriter's crutch for this one: make it something everyone can relate to even if they pretend they can't. Man, I've learned so much from you, it's really cool to read your comments.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Very pretty song Marty!!! Different for you....a mellow ballad, which you also sing very well!! I know what you mean about the saxes........some of them sound very different on different phrases. Sax is complicated......I think it is the most complex instrument to the human voice. Really cool song!!! Take care. Greg

Thanks so much, Greg. You mean a lot to me.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Marty,

Engaging tune with a rich vocal turn, hitting on the right notes of sadness and longing. Good write and stellar mix. Solos in BIAB are always a tricky thing—sometimes they work just great on the first stand . . . and other times you have to labor over them. I absolutely love how you slow down the tempo at the end of that solo—a brilliant touch!

Hope all is well in your world,

Deej

Thanks for noticing the emotions, Deej. Yes, there are many times when BiaB soloists work perfectly on the first go. Sometimes the key and the chord progression works perfectly, and other times not so much. But that's the same in real life. wink

Originally Posted By: musician17
In my humble opinion, your best so far. And that's even before the slowed down section, which - for me - takes it up a notch, even more. And the video is beautiful. You are a real sensitive musician, and - from our brief conversations between one song comment and another - a great human being. Both show in this song, and how. Bravo - keep going.

P.S. about the "better singer" comment ... it's true, neither of us are Freddie Mercury or anything. BUT: the emotion with which you sing is yours and yours alone. I've often thought of delegating singing duty to others, in my own songs, whenever there's a need for an actually sung melody. But: no. If I did that, the whole emotionally charged, authentic atmosphere would dissipate immediately, I feel. Same with you ... you sing and sing well, and comfortably well enough to communicate what you want, in the way you want it in. So ... please sing and don't worry :-) Thanks for sharing this with us :-)

Hello, James. Thanks so much, my friend. You mean a lot to me. Strange, huh? I sing along with almost all of your songs and I see another new one where I'm headed next.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: How Can I Begin - 09/04/22 08:57 PM
Your vocal is good and it conveys the emotion of the lyrics well.

Your tag say "country" but it's not that. It's got a hint of 60s folk.

I enjoyed the song. Good lyrics and melody.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: How Can I Begin - 09/04/22 09:03 PM
Great song and a good job with it.

Platonic.... Another word for "No".

I enjoyed the song
Posted By: Billybmusic Re: How Can I Begin - 09/05/22 08:58 AM
Marty:

Your attention to detail is obvious.

Nice work,good song.

Thanks for sharing
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: How Can I Begin - 09/06/22 08:50 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Touching lyrics, maybe quite common situation and you have expressed that feeling really convincingly. Emotional heartbreaking vocal delivery, this song doesn't need another singer. Nice mellow band and good work with the sax, the slow down is very creative choice.

Janne

Thanks, Janne. I always appreciate you comments.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Awesome tune Marty. I think your vocal was perfect for the tune. Excellent lyric and loved the backtrack. Loved the sax.

Thanks, Scott. Man, I totally appreciate the comments you give both here and elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I like it! laugh

Nothing jumps out needing improvement, except perhaps boosting the vocal a hair (but that could be my old ears). I don't see anyone else mentioning the volume of the vocal, so it's probably just my old ears.

No issue with the vocalist at all - your voice sounds fine here.

Thanks, David. Ha. I hear ya. My ears are older than yours.

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
Hi Marty really great song love it very well done my friend thanks for sharing Eric

Thanks, Eric. I really like your playing, man. Always so good to hear from you.

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Marty
WOW this is a real hit
Sounds cool
Great sung
And the sax solo fits perfectly
Really good work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi. Hey, Charley's gone back to school today. Talk soon.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty,
Beautiful (platonic) love tune. You know your bass smile Vocals A+. Sax is VERY consistent to my ears. Love what you did at 2:50, very cool shift. Listens very well. Neat Vid too. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I tried to come up with with constructive suggestion, so I listened to it several times on different sets of headphones. Neutral AKG's (my studio headphones) and consumer pair (which has enhanced bass, as most of them do). While tune sounded great on a neutral pair, the consumer set was a bit too bass rich. Also, your vocals are great, but I think a bit dry, given overall composition. A little reverb?

Thanks, Misha. Excellent suggestions. Of course, to me, "bass rich" has a good ring. wink
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: How Can I Begin - 09/08/22 08:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
A very nice love song, Marty. To risk ruining a friendship by professing stronger feelings...it's always a tough call. I don't think you need to look for a better singer.
Regards,
Leon

Thank you, Leon.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I almost missed this one for some reason and I am really glad I didn't. Def one of your best. I have an affinity for the subject matter because it was basically the story of my early adult years. That aside, I loved the song itself, the terrific vocal, the sax and the great ending. Like I said, one of your best for sure.

Hello, Bob. Thanks so much. Man, what a fun song BSides Blues is. Did the vocal yesterday You're a good writer and I love the blues. Thanks for the invite. Can't wait to hear the final.

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Your vocal is good and it conveys the emotion of the lyrics well.

Your tag say "country" but it's not that. It's got a hint of 60s folk.

I enjoyed the song. Good lyrics and melody.

Thanks, Scott. I never add any keywords. I just go with what the algorithm suggest, and I thought it was weird it suggested country, too.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Great song and a good job with it.

Platonic.... Another word for "No".

I enjoyed the song

Haha. You're right, Herb. "Yeah, we're just friends. So let's keep it that way."

Originally Posted By: Billybmusic
Marty:

Your attention to detail is obvious.

Nice work,good song.

Thanks for sharing

Thank you, Billy.
Posted By: Derochette Re: How Can I Begin - 09/13/22 11:35 AM
Hi Marty,

Great composition. The mix is ​​excellent. The whole is very pleasant. I appreciated. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
© PG Music Forums