PG Music Home
Posted By: MarioD Lost in the Mist - 08/25/22 09:38 PM
Lost in the Mist

You are a photographer deep in the forest taking pictures of birds and other wildlife when a very strange lighting and thunder happen. That scared away all wildlife and left you in a very strange dense mist. You hear a bass drone, some very strange weird sounds, and something that sounds like an alien talking. You can't see an inch/centimeter around you as you stumble around trying to escape this mysterious mist.

I guess you could call this instrumental horror!

This started with me messing around on my keyboard coming up with this chord progression, C-Caug-Caug#11. Of course BiaB can't do Caug#11 so I carefully wrote Caug and had Studio One Pro convert it to Caug#11. I then went back to BiaB and finished the chord progression.

NOTE - This may/will not be liked by some of you. That is fine. This is just an experiment that I wanted to try, i.e. it is not your typical BiaB song.

BiaB style = KG Ballad - Smooth Jazz - Very S
Tempo - 60 BPM

I only kept the Piano - Kontakt - Felicity -preset Bubbles
Via my MIDI keyboard controller I am playing
1-Serenity - preset - Expade
2-Synthmaster 2 - preset - Junglist
3-Serenity - preset - Aureat
4-Vacium Pro - Mettalic Drop
I played the guitar part then converted it to MIDI and added two track to said guitar part
1-Ultra Analog VA-3 - preset - TR303 saw
2-Kontakt - Cryptar - preset - Black Majesty

Now I'll just wait until Steven King hears this, writes a book about it, then a movie based on this book can use this as its theme grin
Posted By: Al-David Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/25/22 09:46 PM
Hi Mario ...

Cool! Love the originality and creativity here. I got more of a "Lost In Space" feel - not the old TV show, but a capsule drifting helplessly in space and these are the sounds its communication system is picking up.

But, regardless, your originality is super! This is very well done. I truly enjoyed the tension as the piece progressed. Different - yes. Entertaining - definitely! That was really cool listen!

Alan
Posted By: RnAM Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/25/22 09:58 PM
I always like the way you introduce your instrumentals. An introduction and a lead-in for the listener. To open up their minds to it, get them in the right mood.

You would probably do really good as a hypnotist ;-).

But I'm wondering off, let's take a listen to this...

3:01 later...

Very creative, and yes a Stephen King vibe for sure. This would've done well in 1922 or maybe Christine?

Rob
Posted By: firesong Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/25/22 11:10 PM
Sounds like cinema soundtrack stuff to me...a backdrop for just the right scene in a horror flick or space adventure...very creative indeed...Hollywood awaits!!
Posted By: rsdean Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 06:53 AM
Mario,

You sure know how to set a mood! This is a fantastic blend of sounds, textures and music. Some very cool stuff going on here!

Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 07:35 AM
only two words mate...

SUPER WOWSER !!

fyi and maybe i'm out to lunch in my stoopid rock soul i hear this as a sophisticated intro to a hard rock song in a live setting before a big audience...that shakes the rafters lol.

ie the audience is waveing everywhere in the arena thos glo' lites then WHAM ! all heck hard rock 'appens.

kudos to you.

om

Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 10:34 AM
I agree with the others, very much out-of-the-box creativity . . . misty for sure.
I wouldn't know where to begin to build such a sonic landscape.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 01:56 PM
Mario,
Cool soundscape. Neo-meditational alien tune. I dig this kind of music. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 01:56 PM
I think it would be a pretty cool movie soundtrack...I like it.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 03:40 PM
Wowzer!

We are currently watching the sci-fi series Stranger Things and this would fit perfectly for several of the recurring scenes. Not that we are ready go down that rabbit hole smile

Your performances are amazing and the chord comments are too way over our heads to comment!

Your creative instrumental explorations seem boundless.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 04:17 PM
Cool stuff, Mario.

Cinematic, for sure...

Impressive work with the controller.

Spooky.

fj
Posted By: PeterF Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 07:35 PM
Mario

Very impressive and creative.

You nailed the vibe.

Peter
Posted By: rayc Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 07:36 PM
John Carpenter style intro,,,where the space/horror film?
Good one Mario.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Mario ...

Cool! Love the originality and creativity here. I got more of a "Lost In Space" feel - not the old TV show, but a capsule drifting helplessly in space and these are the sounds its communication system is picking up.

But, regardless, your originality is super! This is very well done. I truly enjoyed the tension as the piece progressed. Different - yes. Entertaining - definitely! That was really cool listen!

Alan

Thanx so much Alan for this extremely kind review. My originality comes from BiaB and the fact that my brain is a half a bubble off center. I'm glad that you liked it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 08:29 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
I always like the way you introduce your instrumentals. An introduction and a lead-in for the listener. To open up their minds to it, get them in the right mood.

You would probably do really good as a hypnotist ;-).

But I'm wondering off, let's take a listen to this...

3:01 later...

Very creative, and yes a Stephen King vibe for sure. This would've done well in 1922 or maybe Christine?

Rob

Thanx so much for listening and commenting on this song. I wasn't sure how it was going to be viewed on these forums so I'm glad you liked it.

Me a hypnotist? Just watch my metronome \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / now send me all of your music equipment grin
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 08:33 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Sounds like cinema soundtrack stuff to me...a backdrop for just the right scene in a horror flick or space adventure...very creative indeed...Hollywood awaits!!

Thanx so much Dan for listening and commenting.

I'm sure you mean Hollywood Alabama!

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Mario,

You sure know how to set a mood! This is a fantastic blend of sounds, textures and music. Some very cool stuff going on here!

Loved it!

Bob

Thanx so much Bob. As I stated I wasn't sure how this song would be received here so I'm glad that you liked it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
only two words mate...

SUPER WOWSER !!

fyi and maybe i'm out to lunch in my stoopid rock soul i hear this as a sophisticated intro to a hard rock song in a live setting before a big audience...that shakes the rafters lol.

ie the audience is waveing everywhere in the arena thos glo' lites then WHAM ! all heck hard rock 'appens.

kudos to you.

om

Thanx om. I never even thought about this being an opening for a hard rock band/song. Great idea that I just may induce in a song sometime.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
I agree with the others, very much out-of-the-box creativity . . . misty for sure.
I wouldn't know where to begin to build such a sonic landscape.

Thanx so much for listening and commenting. I have always said with BiaB MIDI and a little creativity any genre can be accomplished.

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mario,
Cool soundscape. Neo-meditational alien tune. I dig this kind of music. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

I'm really glad that you liked this one Misha. Maybe I'll do some others in the future.

Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I think it would be a pretty cool movie soundtrack...I like it.

Thanx so much for listening.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Wowzer!

We are currently watching the sci-fi series Stranger Things and this would fit perfectly for several of the recurring scenes. Not that we are ready go down that rabbit hole smile

Your performances are amazing and the chord comments are too way over our heads to comment!

Your creative instrumental explorations seem boundless.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanx J&B. I also like Stranger Things. I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

As I have said with BiaB MIDI and a little creativity (fortunately my brain is a half a bubble off center) one can do any genre in BiaB.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/26/22 08:46 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Cool stuff, Mario.

Cinematic, for sure...

Impressive work with the controller.

Spooky.

fj

Thanx so much Floyd.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Mario

Very impressive and creative.

You nailed the vibe.

Peter

Thanx Peter

Originally Posted By: rayc
John Carpenter style intro,,,where the space/horror film?
Good one Mario.

Thanx so much Ray

I appreciate all of your comments.
Posted By: Ghostgum Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/27/22 04:27 AM
There is definitely a strange, "other worldly" atmosphere in this mystical track. I ran the alien message through Google translate but it wasn't able to enlighten me. Where's C3PO when you need him?
Nice work, Mario smile
Posted By: jannesan Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/27/22 09:32 AM
As a bird photographer myself, I surely wouldn't like to face the scary situation you are describing both textually and musically laugh But I really like to listen to your tune here in the safety of my home smile Very nice strange mood, quite like lost in the mist with aliens. Actually after several listenings, the feel is not that scary, but quite warm and inviting to explore the source of the sound, hmm maybe you have managed to hypnotize me already wink Excellent work with instruments and chording, very inventive!

Janne
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/27/22 10:42 AM
Originally Posted By: Ghostgum
There is definitely a strange, "other worldly" atmosphere in this mystical track. I ran the alien message through Google translate but it wasn't able to enlighten me. Where's C3PO when you need him?
Nice work, Mario smile

I just ran the alien message through Google translate and it said "thank GOD he Mario isn't singing"!

Thanx for listening and commenting and putting a smile on my face.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/27/22 10:46 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
As a bird photographer myself, I surely wouldn't like to face the scary situation you are describing both textually and musically laugh But I really like to listen to your tune here in the safety of my home smile Very nice strange mood, quite like lost in the mist with aliens. Actually after several listenings, the feel is not that scary, but quite warm and inviting to explore the source of the sound, hmm maybe you have managed to hypnotize me already wink Excellent work with instruments and chording, very inventive!

Janne

Thanx so much for listening and commenting on this song. I wasn't sure how it was going to be accepted but it was! I appreciate your comments.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/27/22 07:49 PM
Loved the instrumentation and effects on this one Mario. Really cool. This should be in a movie soundscape. Excellent work.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/28/22 05:06 PM
Mario,

Really cool vibe to this—mysterious, even ominous . . . Like something bad is going to happen any moment. Well-mixed and layered. Different and interesting in all the right ways. Well done!

All my best to you,

Deej
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/28/22 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Loved the instrumentation and effects on this one Mario. Really cool. This should be in a movie soundscape. Excellent work.

Thanx Scott for taking the time to listen and comment. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: Deej56
Mario,

Really cool vibe to this—mysterious, even ominous . . . Like something bad is going to happen any moment. Well-mixed and layered. Different and interesting in all the right ways. Well done!

All my best to you,

Deej

Thanx Deej. I appreciate your very kind comments.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Lost in the Mist - 08/29/22 07:28 PM
Mario,

Love the way you set up your songs in the description! You nail it every time! Lots of cool sounds happening! I'm convinced you could do movie scores if you had the opportunity! Surreal, ethereal and mind expanding without the use of pharmaceuticals smile

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Derochette Re: Lost in the Mist - 09/07/22 12:07 PM
Hi MarioD,

Nice research in the colorization of the musical piece. This leaves a mysterious atmosphere. It would be good for a documentary film.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Lost in the Mist - 09/07/22 01:30 PM
Whoa, this is so unique and different than most of your stuff! Very inventive. With that first sound effect at the intro, I thought I was in for something from a new Boston album, but your description of the song was perfect. You need start putting some of these things on video, as mentioned it makes for a perfect movie track! Thanks for letting us in on your experiment.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Lost in the Mist - 09/07/22 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi MarioD,

Nice research in the colorization of the musical piece. This leaves a mysterious atmosphere. It would be good for a documentary film.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanx so much for listening and commenting. I greatly appreciate that you took the time to do that.

Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Whoa, this is so unique and different than most of your stuff! Very inventive. With that first sound effect at the intro, I thought I was in for something from a new Boston album, but your description of the song was perfect. You need start putting some of these things on video, as mentioned it makes for a perfect movie track! Thanks for letting us in on your experiment.

Thanx so much Brad for this very kind review.

If anyone wants to put my songs on a video they can. All I ask is that I get credit for the song.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Lost in the Mist - 09/08/22 09:27 AM
Whoa! I see you standing tall in the mist, Mario. I was unafraid and followed the sounds. Man, am I glad I did. Only wish I didn't read what you had to say first. I should've just listened and told you the story your magical music presented. On the other hand, I am a photographer and prefer the woods. In fact my son and I were camping when you posted this. Very clever way to get your #11. Even with your prompting I didn't heart the alien, and I accepted the mist for what it was. Thanks for taking me.
© PG Music Forums