PG Music Home
Posted By: jannesan I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/29/22 12:44 PM
I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood

This song was composed several summers ago. Difficult to describe it, a macabre rock song with humor and mosquito whine perhaps. I was going to sing this myself, but Kevin sounded so good that I decided to keep his vocal track. All comments welcome, including whining laugh

RealDrums: DrivingPop8ths
RealTracks:
Electric Bass 2613
Electric Guitar Rhythm 2634
Electric Guitar Rhythm 2635
Mandolin 3147
VocalMmms 3273

MIDI riff melody: Hard Rock Electric (Band-in-a-box Sounds) through Aria player + Amplitube3 + Neutron4

Vocals: Synthesizer V Kevin (lead), Solaria (backing vocals)

Mixed in Cakewalk by BandLab

Lyrics:

I'm not a woodsman of love untamed
I get easily lost, my bolts misaimed
I can't fire my catches up
this boy in cold, with a soupless cup
couldn't hook a sweet lady with my crumbled teeth
my knife's been rusting in its sheath.

I take my clothes off and bear the chill
without hugs and comfort
my soul is a knobby frozen bud
I don't deserve a better death
I let mosquitoes suck my blood.
I let mosquitoes
I let mosquitoes
I let mosquitoes suck my blood.

Raising a tent is a wasted fight
no-one's going to stay the summer night
it would crash from a tiny brush
i couldn't open the fly in rush
even if a Bambi eye thought that I'm no harm
the powder's wet in my firearm.

I take my clothes off...

It's Midsummer night I'm alone again
others at their cabins watching bees
bathing and cooking in the sun
making love in felicity
bittersweetly with my reaper
I am spending my last moments,
finally the females really hawking for me.

"Hissing and sucking
life out of your veins
you're bleeding,
your passing
will be natural."

-------------
Janne
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/30/22 10:20 PM
Hey Janne. Totally familiar with the mosquito whine. We have quite a few of the vultures here as well. Vocaloid was very cool. Excellent backtrack. Well done
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 12:10 AM
The main riff had an ambulance siren sound to it, which was cool. Kevin sounded great, he's a keeper. I like the way you handled the 'chorus.' The insect voices were hilarious. A good rocker with humor, nicely done.
Posted By: dcuny Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 01:31 AM
Well, that was... different. smile

Good mix, Kevin sounds good.

Those singing mosquitos were something else!
Posted By: Deej56 Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 01:49 AM
Janne,

I'm totally digging this . . . really creative and original. The BAND is great and the mix is stellar. But Kevin is the absolute star here--It's hard to believe that's a vocaloid--very, very well done--particularly how Kevin handles the prosody of some of those lines. Outstanding!

And as other mention, the singing mosquitos--great, creative touch.

Awesome!

Deej
Posted By: Al-David Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 05:23 AM
Janne ...

What a creative and terrific song ... funny as heck in places. Loved Kevin 's harmonies around the 2:30 mark!

That was a fun listen!

Alan
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 09:06 AM
Janne,
First, brilliant title! Excellent job of making Kevin do what you intended. Fun punkish pop. Very neat progression and instrumentation. One of the coolest song structures I have heard by you. Mix is outstanding.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 09:19 AM
"Macabre." Man, you nailed the new genre for sure, Janne. The way you crafted the melody, even the chords, and then populated it with the perfect band is a lesson in song writing worthy of a graduate-level class. The bridge is (just like I like it) so different yet complimentary of the rest of the song. Very well done. So creative.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 12:44 PM
Hi Janne
Cool song
Great realized
Sounds really good
The vocals are excellent
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 01:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Hey Janne. Totally familiar with the mosquito whine. We have quite a few of the vultures here as well. Vocaloid was very cool. Excellent backtrack. Well done

Thanks Scott for your nice feedback smile It's not just the whine, but the biting irritates as well, although it is much easier to end the biting...

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 01:44 PM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
The main riff had an ambulance siren sound to it, which was cool. Kevin sounded great, he's a keeper. I like the way you handled the 'chorus.' The insect voices were hilarious. A good rocker with humor, nicely done.

Thanks TuneMonger for your kind words smile Glad you liked Kevin and the insect voices as well. I hadn't thought the riff as a siren sound, interesting observation, my main idea was to add some 'whine' effect to it. I selected the mmm vocal RT for bit more pleasant whine.

Janne
Posted By: RnAM Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 03:06 PM
I was expecting a sweet, highly melodic ballad with Solaria on the lead as your next contribution ;-).

But I'll settle for this. This is more than okay! Extremely creative and very interesting, unexpected chord changes.

You sure are getting the very best out of Kevin and manage to make him sound like a real singer. Really well done!

Rob
Posted By: PeterF Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 08/31/22 07:02 PM
Janne

Very different and clever.

Quite an array of interesting effects (liked the mmms at the end) and the vocal programming sounds very good.

An interesting and engaging piece.

Peter
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/02/22 08:19 AM
The introduction caught my attention right off. Cool.

I forgot this was a vocaloid as I was listening.

I love everything about this song. My favorite from you.

I had enough of those predatory mosquitoes when I lived in northern Michigan.
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/02/22 01:56 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Well, that was... different. smile

Good mix, Kevin sounds good.

Those singing mosquitos were something else!

Thanks David for your kind words smile I agree about Kevin, he has very nice voice especially on the softer side, I haven't yet tried to push it to the limits.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/02/22 02:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
I'm totally digging this . . . really creative and original. The BAND is great and the mix is stellar. But Kevin is the absolute star here--It's hard to believe that's a vocaloid--very, very well done--particularly how Kevin handles the prosody of some of those lines. Outstanding!

And as other mention, the singing mosquitos--great, creative touch.

Awesome!

Deej

Thanks Deej for your very positive feedback smile Glad you liked the mix, somehow I manage to make it sound good on different setups. Maybe because I used so few instruments, very unusual for me smile It is very easy to work with Synthesizer V tool and find perfect timing for each syllable. I usually rather modify the melody than the words.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/02/22 02:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Janne ...

What a creative and terrific song ... funny as heck in places. Loved Kevin 's harmonies around the 2:30 mark!

That was a fun listen!

Alan

Thanks Alan, I appreciate your kind words smile Actually I used Solaria for the harmonies, even for the lower range notes, to include some soft whispering sound.

Janne
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/02/22 09:22 PM
Janne, you are the master of the vocaloid, it sounded very organic!

LOL when those mosquitoes started to sing. How did you train them to do that grin

Great groove and mix

Loved it
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/02/22 09:42 PM
goodness this is UNIQUE. i like very much the song start and the vocs at about 2mins 30 secs .

that lead voc effect imho at 2m/30secs is so superb
i feel it should be used in other parts of the song...
(that is a hit voc 'sound picture' imho.)
maybe particularly after the vocaloid section just to make the song go out with a BANG.

very well done mate.

best

om
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/02/22 09:47 PM
Janne,

Love that wobbly sound of the guitar! Very interesting/humorous subject matter! That synth vocal is really good/excellent job with that! Cool song!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/03/22 05:13 PM
Creative to the max!

We smiled all the way through this, Janne. That midi riff is great, making us think of the blood pumping through the vein. smile

The mix is outstanding ... sounds great on our monitors.

The mandolin’s light touch is just the right touch, Kevin and Solaria are awesome and the singing mosquitos were a hoot!

Those pesky mosquitoes always seem to follow Bud on our hikes and now we’ll have your song to think of to lighten the aggravation.

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Posted By: Leon1 Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/04/22 12:49 AM
Hi Janne.

'My soul is a knobby frozen bud
I let mosquitoes suck my blood.'

Yes, I'd say macabre is a pretty good description! Very creative and unusual. And yeah, we can all related to those whining mosquitoes.

Regards,
Leon
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/04/22 02:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Janne,
First, brilliant title! Excellent job of making Kevin do what you intended. Fun punkish pop. Very neat progression and instrumentation. One of the coolest song structures I have heard by you. Mix is outstanding.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thanks Misha for your very positive feedback smile Glad you liked the title, straight to the subject wink

Janne
Posted By: Chris37 Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/04/22 02:35 PM
Hi Jane,
Your song is top notch !
Curiously, I've thougt to the Beatles in their original and very creative period.
Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/05/22 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
"Macabre." Man, you nailed the new genre for sure, Janne. The way you crafted the melody, even the chords, and then populated it with the perfect band is a lesson in song writing worthy of a graduate-level class. The bridge is (just like I like it) so different yet complimentary of the rest of the song. Very well done. So creative.

Thanks Marty for your very heartwarming words smile I don't even recognize my little tune in those words, but I really appreciate them blush

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/05/22 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Janne
Cool song
Great realized
Sounds really good
The vocals are excellent
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks Andi for your nice comment smile I'm glad you appreciated my work.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/05/22 12:42 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
I was expecting a sweet, highly melodic ballad with Solaria on the lead as your next contribution ;-).

But I'll settle for this. This is more than okay! Extremely creative and very interesting, unexpected chord changes.

You sure are getting the very best out of Kevin and manage to make him sound like a real singer. Really well done!

Rob

laugh sorry to disappoint you Rob, but I promise you that the Solaria ballad will be my next one to showcase here, just don't expect too much from it wink

And thanks for your great feedback on my mosquito song smile Words like really "extremely creative" warm my heart smile

Janne
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/05/22 12:43 PM
That's interesting, and very cool. You have certainly learned those vocaloids fairly well. It I hadn't read that it was a vocaloid I would not have known.

I watching a documentary a few years ago. It was set in the jungles somewhere in the equatorial regions..... They discussed all the critters and bugs and which ones were endangered. At one point, the narrator was in a swampy area and came upon some very rare indigo blue mosquitos. Pointing out how rare they were, he rolled up his sleeves and let them feast on his arm/blood for a few minutes. He then stated that it was the least he could do to help the species reproduce the next generation. Me....I'd have probably swatted those little blue blood suckers.

Good song.
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/08/22 02:18 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Very different and clever.

Quite an array of interesting effects (liked the mmms at the end) and the vocal programming sounds very good.

An interesting and engaging piece.

Peter

Thanks Peter for your kind comment smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/08/22 02:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
The introduction caught my attention right off. Cool.

I forgot this was a vocaloid as I was listening.

I love everything about this song. My favorite from you.

I had enough of those predatory mosquitoes when I lived in northern Michigan.

Thanks ES for your pleasant feedback smile Glad to hear about the vocals, finally they are good enough to use like any BIAB instrument, without feeling guilt.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/08/22 02:22 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Janne, you are the master of the vocaloid, it sounded very organic!

LOL when those mosquitoes started to sing. How did you train them to do that grin

Great groove and mix

Loved it

Thanks Mario, I appreciate your kind words smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/10/22 01:51 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
goodness this is UNIQUE. i like very much the song start and the vocs at about 2mins 30 secs .

that lead voc effect imho at 2m/30secs is so superb
i feel it should be used in other parts of the song...
(that is a hit voc 'sound picture' imho.)
maybe particularly after the vocaloid section just to make the song go out with a BANG.

very well done mate.

best

om

Thanks om for your very supportive comment smile I keep your ideas in mind for future projects.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/10/22 01:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Love that wobbly sound of the guitar! Very interesting/humorous subject matter! That synth vocal is really good/excellent job with that! Cool song!

Thanks, Torrey

Thanks Torrey for your kind feedback smile Glad you liked the wobbly sound, this was the first time I tried to make a MIDI guitar sound livelier, it wasn't very successful but luckily the "whining" fit the subject smile I don't know whether certain "double entendre" parts were lost in translation, but glad to hear that you found the subject humorous.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/10/22 02:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Creative to the max!

We smiled all the way through this, Janne. That midi riff is great, making us think of the blood pumping through the vein. smile

The mix is outstanding ... sounds great on our monitors.

The mandolin’s light touch is just the right touch, Kevin and Solaria are awesome and the singing mosquitos were a hoot!

Those pesky mosquitoes always seem to follow Bud on our hikes and now we’ll have your song to think of to lighten the aggravation.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanks Janice and Bud, your reviews are always great pleasure to read smile "blood pumping", that's a good idea for the video of the song wink Well, I hope you can sing the mosquitoes away, but I guess singing my song would be an open invitation laugh

Janne
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/12/22 05:36 PM
Janne,

An Excellent Pop Rocker. Great BAND.

Excellent mix.

Kevin is Amazing!

LOVE the sound of this!! Superb!

Really Well Done.

fj
Posted By: David Snyder Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/13/22 10:42 AM

Janne,

This is a really fun song!

Had me smiling!

You sure know how to rock!
Posted By: Robertkc Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/13/22 01:43 PM
Janne,
Creative, funky and quirky- amazingly real sounding vocals.
The lyrics made me laugh and squirm; based on personal experience with those critters no doubt!

Robert
Posted By: animarorecords Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/14/22 01:58 AM
Janne,

Nice Rock!
The originality of the chord progression and melody are very high.
I believe that only you can write it.
Kevin's vocals are also great.
The usage of Vocaloid is also very skillful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/14/22 12:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Leon1
'My soul is a knobby frozen bud
I let mosquitoes suck my blood.'

Yes, I'd say macabre is a pretty good description! Very creative and unusual. And yeah, we can all related to those whining mosquitoes.

Regards,
Leon

Thanks Leon for your positive supportive comment smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/14/22 12:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Chris37

Your song is top notch !
Curiously, I've thougt to the Beatles in their original and very creative period.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate your comment very much smile Especially the Beatles reference, can't see a connection to any of their particular song, but anyway the comparison is a big honor to me.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/14/22 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
That's interesting, and very cool. You have certainly learned those vocaloids fairly well. It I hadn't read that it was a vocaloid I would not have known.

I watching a documentary a few years ago. It was set in the jungles somewhere in the equatorial regions..... They discussed all the critters and bugs and which ones were endangered. At one point, the narrator was in a swampy area and came upon some very rare indigo blue mosquitos. Pointing out how rare they were, he rolled up his sleeves and let them feast on his arm/blood for a few minutes. He then stated that it was the least he could do to help the species reproduce the next generation. Me....I'd have probably swatted those little blue blood suckers.

Good song.

Thanks Herb for your kind comment smile Glad to hear that synth voices sound so real... nice mosquito story, when an insect starts to suck, I won't study whether it is a common or a rare one, I will squish it immediately (probably because it is disturbing my camera work wink )

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/16/22 12:34 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
An Excellent Pop Rocker. Great BAND.

Excellent mix.

Kevin is Amazing!

LOVE the sound of this!! Superb!

Really Well Done.

fj

Thanks fj, I always appreciate your valuable feedback smile Glad you liked the sound and Kevin.

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/16/22 12:35 PM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Janne,

This is a really fun song!

Had me smiling!

You sure know how to rock!

Thanks David, your kind comment made me smile smile Glad to hear about rocking, but I know you can rock much better smile

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/18/22 01:58 PM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Janne,
Creative, funky and quirky- amazingly real sounding vocals.
The lyrics made me laugh and squirm; based on personal experience with those critters no doubt!

Robert

Thanks Robert for your heartwarming comment smile Glad to evoke many emotions with my song wink

Janne
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/18/22 02:01 PM
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Nice Rock!
The originality of the chord progression and melody are very high.
I believe that only you can write it.
Kevin's vocals are also great.
The usage of Vocaloid is also very skillful.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks Shigeki Adachi for your nice comment smile Glad to hear you enjoyed my song and the vocals, Kevin is available for Synthesizer V, it is different software than Yamaha's Vocaloid, although it seems that Vocaloid has become generic term for computer generated vocals.

Janne
Posted By: Derochette Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/18/22 04:24 PM
Hi jannesan,

Nice construction and suite of chords. It's well done. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: jannesan Re: I Let Mosquitoes Suck My Blood - 09/19/22 12:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi jannesan,

Nice construction and suite of chords. It's well done. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thanks Derochette, I appreciate your kind feedback smile

Janne
© PG Music Forums