PG Music Home
Posted By: Deej56 I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 01:14 AM
Hi all—

Folks are cranking out some great tunes—was a lot of fun listening to them this evening. Well done all!

Here’s a new collaboration with Carroll Kiphen, who penned the lyrics. A little different style song for me (and I think the first I’ve done in 3/4 time), but always fun trying to change things up a bit.

On the production side, I debated whether to add backing vocals and ultimately decided to do them . . . but I’ve tried to keep them fairly subdued, more to add depth while not overwhelming the lead vocal. Hopefully it works, but I’m sure there are aspects of the mix that will need some tweaking. So looking forward to your always helpful suggestions.

Thanks much all. Hope everyone is doing well!

Deej

Here’s the song:

I'M HERE RIGHT NOW

Here are the lyrics:

I can see that you’re troubled
I’ve been down that road
Won’t you lean on me, lean on me
I’ll shoulder the load
I know you’re a proud one
but don’t feel ashamed
Thinking what you’re thinking
Is a dangerous game.

So don’t retreat in silence
Don’t shut me down
Just talk to me, talk to me
I’m here right now

I know that you’re trying
To do this alone
But it’s hard, it’s so hard
To do it all on your own
I know you’re a proud one
Well, I was once too
But sometimes we need someone
To help us pull through

It takes one to know one
I’ve been where you are
Trust me when I tell you
We both have our scars

And here’s the band:

RealTracks 1178: Bass, Electric, PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks 2936: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking FolkWaltzFintan Ev 100
RealTracks 2716: Guitar, Nylon, Background WaltzBrent Sw 085
RealTracks 2883: Pedal Steel, Background CountryEddy12-key Ev 085
RealTracks 1188: Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks 1543: Synth Pad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
RealDrums: PopRockWaltz
Posted By: firesong Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 01:30 AM
Deej...there's something captivating about a 3/4 waltz...you've added a beautiful melody to Carroll's relational lyrics...you certainly made the right choice with the harmonies (and subdued is nice)...I'm always drawn to your vocals...they are a one-off and very appealing for a balladeer such as yourself...good choice for the band...well done all round!
Posted By: rsdean Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 09:23 AM
Deej,

Another beautiful sonic work of art... You are really bringing your very best.

Bob
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 10:41 AM
Nice. And thoughtful lyrics. A ray of sunshine in the darkness.

Not too many songs are in 3/4 anymore..... I enjoyed this. Your voice fits it well.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 11:18 AM
Hi Deej,

Your song was the first I listened to after my break. What a pleasant start for me!
This is what one may call a really heartbreaking song!
The kind of song only you, with your so special vocals, can sing out so well
In Dutch we would say you have a pattent on this kind of songs. But I'm not sure you use that word to say the same.
And using a walz-tempo is even better making sure all listeners' hearts will break.

Very nice lyrics, miss Kiphen surely knows how to write them. Hats off!
So a very good song, in my ears. But I always love your songs as you might have noticed...

Nice day,
Hans
Posted By: musician17 Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 02:39 PM
Bravo.

The thing about 3/4 time, for me at least, is that it evokes dances like waltzes, etc. ... I always say it's the time signature of a couple in love :-) (I may be talking absolute rubbish, mind you, but there you go). Regardless: amongst your many talents, you have one I haven't talked about much, until now: a real talent for melody. And boy, it shows :-) I was thinking, this morning, what a complete musician you are, and this is another proof of that.

The guitar interlude is beautiful. Maybe JUST A LITTLE too "up front" (too loud, at first hearing, for me, perhaps)? On my first hearing, also, there were a couple of chords which took me by surprise (a few major chords where I was expecting minor ones - such as the A Major at 0:50, at 1:47, and the one at 2:52 or so? I would have perhaps written an A minor going into A major - or even, perhaps, the other way around: A major going into A minor ... or alternate the two ... but that's just me, and me being a total nitpick, too!!! haha - not to mention that it may almost certainly be me getting it completely and utterly wrong, so PLEASE don't mind me!!!) ... but that's most probably just me, as I got used to it by the second hearing.

The lyrics fit you like a glove - well done, Carroll Kiphen!

Hats off. Superb writing, your usual impassioned, top-notch-in-every-way singing, excellent backing track - in short, you've done it again. And again. And again. Mr Consistently Brilliant :-) ... hats off.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 03:06 PM
Nice song that serves as a great vehicle for your voice. Liked the laconic nylon solo. Why aren't you a major recording artist along the lines of Cat Stevens or others like that with a unique voice? Baffles me.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 03:40 PM
firesong, Bob, Guitarhacker, Hans, James and TuneMonger:

Really appreciate the listens, kind feedback and helpful comments. Thanks for stopping in and giving it a spin.

James: I don't think you are wrong on the typical 3/4 waltz subject matter, but in a way, while this is not about a couple necessarily in love, it is about friendship and the support that comes with . . . so, not far off in that sense. I went back and forth on the volume of the guitar lead and erred on the side of it being more up front than less. It's relatively sparse and at a lower volume gets lost a bit . . . I tried to fade in the initial notes . . . but overall I think you may be right and it needs to come down a decibel or two. I'll see what others think.

Lastly, the chord change . . . You are spot on in terms of what's going on there--a G to Bm to C to, yes, an A. Quite honestly, it's just a function of where I went with the melody, which for me always drives my chord choices (and rarely the other way around). Out of curiosity, I just now played around on my guitar with an Am or A/Am combo (both ways) . . . and it just doesn't fit the melody (which may be problematic in itself . . . but then that's a different issue, LOL!)

TuneMonger: There are a myriad of answers to that question . . . but suffice it to say I'll need to be content with this being my little hobby . . . and I'm (mostly) all right with that! smile

Thanks all--

Deej
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 03:56 PM
Deej (& Carroll),

A good write. Thoughtful.

Nice production and mix.

Well sung (of course).

fj
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 06:27 PM
Great song, great vocals and great lyrics, I like it. You have a great voice.

From the mix I think the vocals need a bit more treble, they sound a bit muffled and the guitar solo is a bit too loud and "in your face".

The harmonies are nice and work very well... as a fan of vocal harmonies I would make them louder, but it's not really necessary.
Posted By: rayc Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/03/22 09:33 PM
Lovely song Deej,
Sonically that constant strumming acoustic could use some highs knocked from it - or where ever that strident tone is - and the bass is a little clunky at the beginning of lines here'n'there - it comes in heavily on top of the kick.
Your voice is really expressive and sounds great.
Lovely song.
Posted By: jannesan Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/05/22 02:09 PM
Very classic sounding emotional ballad sung by one of the best voices around. Lyrics are touching, and the chord progression and the well-crafted melody support it perfectly. The chorus is very strong. Great band, the acoustic guitar solo works very well, not too front for me. Very nice ending. Your vocals could be mixed bit brighter.

Janne
Posted By: RnAM Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/05/22 04:30 PM
Deej,

Yes different, but also really good.
We like singing in 3/4 time very much.
The music is beautiful, the lyrics are sad, but very good.
And you sing it wonderfully well.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: PeterF Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/05/22 04:42 PM
Deej

Very pretty song, beautifully sung and a lovely production.

Really nice work.

Peter
Posted By: Al-David Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/05/22 10:08 PM
Hi Deej ...

I always smile whern I see as new post from you. Never a disappointment. Your songs are always so good. I loved the pedal steel backing in the last half of the song.

Songs in 3/4 time have a natural element of emotion other time signatures often struggle to acheive. You and Carroll have constructed and delivered a wonderful song. Lots of power in the lyric with a solid yet genlte backing soundscape. Very nicely done!

Alan
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/06/22 03:58 PM
Nice one Deej. This song has a great "feel" to it. I thought you did a really good job with the melody, and of course the vocal. I agree the lead guitar may be a little hot. The steel was nice too. There were some places I would have used it a little more loudly, but I have a tendency to over do steel. It's always a pleasure listening to your stuff, keep it coming.
Posted By: dcuny Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/07/22 01:33 AM
Good write, well sung. Good song, love the message.

Enjoyed this a lot!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/07/22 02:04 AM
Deej,

It's a little melancholic and very nice waltz.
When I hear it with your vocals, it touches my heart even more.
Your vocals are always great.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: Robertkc Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/07/22 01:29 PM
Deej,
A little sadness in waltz time is a great match; good lyrics, uncomplicated arrangement and, man, what a wonderful vocal interpretation!
Very well done.

Robert
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/07/22 04:13 PM
This is special! The vocals first draw you in and the melody in both the V and C are refreshing (aka, unpredictable and pleasing to the ear).

Great job!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/07/22 08:31 PM
Emotionally rich and resonant vocal performance. Your voice really soars.

Love the melody and where it takes us. The subtle harmony fits nicely.

Mix sounds good though I would agree the the guitar solo needs to be reined in a little.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/07/22 09:30 PM

Great song DJ!

The beginning reminded me of a song from a famous late sixties band and it is driving me crazy because I can't think of it.

But this is killer. Great instrumentation, hook, emotion, delivery, everything.

Love it.
Posted By: Scott C Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/09/22 01:20 PM
I agree with Herb. Really nice to hear a waltz. Very pretty song. Super vocal and lyric. Really cool collaboration. Well done Deej.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/10/22 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Deej...there's something captivating about a 3/4 waltz...you've added a beautiful melody to Carroll's relational lyrics...you certainly made the right choice with the harmonies (and subdued is nice)...I'm always drawn to your vocals...they are a one-off and very appealing for a balladeer such as yourself...good choice for the band...well done all round!

Deej, Dan expressed my thoughts exactly! great job on this lovely tune!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/10/22 04:02 PM
You and Carroll make a great team, Deej.

The “true life blues” lyric is so good and the 3/4 time is a perfect match for it.

Your vocals and the band are excellent and the solo was very nice indeed. We might’ve pulled the harmonies up a tad but then we are still victims of our bluegrass days. smile Plus when you are mixing your own vocal parts your ear trumps most other notions.

I knew the mix was going to be right in our wheelhouse when I saw the waveform on SC.
Nice dynamics and open/airy in feel.

Janice is a big fan of waltz time and she thinks you have a great feel for it!

Well done!

J&B
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/14/22 03:08 PM
Hi David
Very well done song
Interesting song style
But for you all this is no problem
You make every song YOUR song
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Derochette Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/14/22 03:45 PM
Hi Deej56,

nice composition full of emotions. The orchestral arrangement is well done. It's sweet and I like it.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Deej56 Re: I'm Here Right Now - 10/14/22 04:10 PM
Floyd, BD, ray, Janne, RnAM, Peter, Alan, Brad, David, Shigecki, Robert, Dewey, Ezekiel, David S, Scott, Torrey, J&B, Andi and Derochette:

Wow, lots of comments and feedback—really appreciate them all. Thanks for listening. A few thoughts on some of the comments.

On the vocals (lead and backing): Following B.D.’s and Janne’s suggestions, I raised the treble a bit on the vocal to brighten it a bit, and raised the harmonies a tad (also suggested by J&B) I did this probably 4 or 5 days ago, so some of you may have heard the version with these changes already.

On the guitar solo: I lowered the volume a few decibels (similarly done 4 or 5 days ago). Hopefully it sits a bit better in the mix as it currently stands.

Rayc: I’ll need to dive back in and listen again in light of your comments—certainly before I put this on an album of any sort (though it’s not much of a fit with my other songs). Easy enough to knock down the highs on the acoustic guitar—though I haven’t done so yet.

Brad: You may be right that there’s an opportunity to highlight the steel a bit more in places. To be honest, it’s not something I focused on intensely and its worth another review. Like with Ray, it’s probably something I’ll take a look at when I revisit the song a few weeks down the road (always helps to get some distance before diving in again).

Thanks again all. Stay well!

Deej
© PG Music Forums