PG Music Home
Posted By: firesong This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/04/22 08:06 PM
Hey guys...this song was such a joy to work on...a lady named Mona Bagasao (the friend of a friend of a friend of mine) wrote a poem about the loss of a dear loved one and I was asked if I would set it to music...well you know how that sometimes goes?!#*&!...long story short...the melody and edits came almost instantaneously and they (the friend of a friend of a friend of mine) were thrilled...whew!! So here it is...and if you do...thanks for listening...Dan

This Grateful Heart of Mine
https://soundclick.com/r/s8aiog

The BiaB components:
2915 Bass
2911 Electric Guitar
2883 Pedal Steel
2051 Acoustic Fingerpick Guitar

I added: vocals, piano, strings and resonator guitar (via Genos)
Posted By: dcuny Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/04/22 11:02 PM
Good take on a classic! smile

The vocals are especially nice.
Posted By: firesong Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/04/22 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Good take on a classic! smile

The vocals are especially nice.

David...you threw me with your comment...so I checked and I had posted the wrong song...thanks...I've posted the correct song now! Dan
Posted By: floyd jane Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/05/22 01:44 PM
Dan,

Really nice production. Strong vocals.
Good mix. (though, for my taste, the vocal is slightly loud.)

It's hard not to think of "Always On My Mind" during the verse (melody)
(and the strings, too)

Nice that you could do that for a friend (of a friend....)

fj
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/05/22 04:10 PM
Reminds me a lot of the song "Always on my mind". I like it, especially your vocals.

Originally Posted By: firesong
(the friend of a friend of a friend of mine) were thrilled...whew!!

Good for you... if you had failed, the friend of a friend of a friend of yours probably wouldn't be the friend of a friend of a friend of yours anymore!
Posted By: RnAM Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/05/22 04:22 PM
Really beautiful Dan!
We understand why some mention "Always on my Mind".
But your voice also reminds us of Elvis here and there.
Great work!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: PeterF Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/05/22 04:44 PM
Dan

Definitely an Elvis vibe. Excellent vocal and a nice tribute song.

Peter
Posted By: Al-David Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/05/22 05:08 PM
Hi Dan ...

RThius is just so good! The analogies to Elvis and "Always On My Mind" speak to the quality of this project.

As always, your voice is splendid. Very nicely done! Indeed!!!

Alan
Posted By: rsdean Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/06/22 09:40 AM
Dan,

Great song. Your vocal is outstanding...

Bob
Posted By: firesong Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/06/22 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Dan,
It's hard not to think of "Always On My Mind" during the verse (melody)
(and the strings, too)
fj

Floyd...yeah the first few bars do sound like "Always on My Mind"...art imitating art I guess...didn't mean to do that...hey thanks for your thoughts...Dan
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Reminds me a lot of the song "Always on my mind". I like it, especially your vocals.

Originally Posted By: firesong
(the friend of a friend of a friend of mine) were thrilled...whew!!

Good for you... if you had failed, the friend of a friend of a friend of yours probably wouldn't be the friend of a friend of a friend of yours anymore!

B.D...:)good thing I didn't fail a BFF of a BFF of a BFF right? frown thanks for the best line of the comments...Dan

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Really beautiful Dan!
We understand why some mention "Always on my Mind".
But your voice also reminds us of Elvis here and there.
Great work!
Rob and Anne-Marie

Rob and Anne-Marie...I wish that Elvis guy would quit imitating me! I'm flattered but not convinced...I always appreciate your thoughts and comments...Dan

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dan
Definitely an Elvis vibe. Excellent vocal and a nice tribute song.
Peter

Peter...thanks so much...I'm leaving for Vegas...ladies and gentlemen firesong has left the building!

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Dan ...
RThius is just so good! The analogies to Elvis and "Always On My Mind" speak to the quality of this project.
As always, your voice is splendid. Very nicely done! Indeed!!!
Alan

Alan...thanks so much...all kidding aside...comparisons to Elvis (no matter how delusional) and to inadvertently stealing from Willie Nelson as a writer are very humbling...not quite sure what "RThius" means but it's good so I'll take that too...your comments are always encouraging...Dan

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Dan,
Great song. Your vocal is outstanding...
Bob

Thanks Bob...I appreciate you not saying the "E" word smile
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/06/22 02:42 PM
Great production Dan. You sure used some good instruments to pull this song off just right. Your vocals are always good and I sure liked the way you put together the background vocals on this one. The steel was great - did you add anything to the tone, or did that all come straight from Biab. Great job. I'm sure the friend of a friend of a friend and all of their family and friends that knew the one who passed away will cherish this song for a long time to come. You've been blessed with a special talent and have used your blessings to bless other, which is another blessing in itself - thanks for letting all the rest of us be blessed by it too.

Brad
Posted By: firesong Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/06/22 02:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Great production Dan. You sure used some good instruments to pull this song off just right. Your vocals are always good and I sure liked the way you put together the background vocals on this one. The steel was great - did you add anything to the tone, or did that all come straight from Biab. Great job. I'm sure the friend of a friend of a friend and all of their family and friends that knew the one who passed away will cherish this song for a long time to come. You've been blessed with a special talent and have used your blessings to bless other, which is another blessing in itself - thanks for letting all the rest of us be blessed by it too.

Brad

Hey Brad...thank you for your words of encouragement...I pretty much left the steel alone the way it came down from BiaB...just panned it to the right a bit as I recall...I usually put a master reverb over the entire mix to give the song the atmosphere I want it to be in and I might put separate reverb on a specific instrument to place it back into the mix...I like to set the mix up in a stage arrangement...Dan
Posted By: dcuny Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/07/22 02:09 AM
Ah, a chance to hear the right song. wink

Nice write. Is the "E" word "Emote"? Because you do that very well. laugh
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/08/22 11:30 AM
Dan,

You knocked it out of the park on this one! You certainly did your writer's poem justice with this! I love the smooth country sounding feel of the tune! That steel is a thing of beauty flowing throughout the song! Your work on the Genos is the icing on the cake!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: firesong Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/08/22 07:14 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Ah, a chance to hear the right song. wink

Nice write. Is the "E" word "Emote"? Because you do that very well. laugh

David...glad we got that straightened out...I am so glad you made that comment...I would have gotten a lot of baffling comments! Dan

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Dan,

You knocked it out of the park on this one! You certainly did your writer's poem justice with this! I love the smooth country sounding feel of the tune! That steel is a thing of beauty flowing throughout the song! Your work on the Genos is the icing on the cake!

Thanks, Torrey

Torrey...you're always so kind and encouraging...we should work together on something sometime! Dan
Posted By: David Snyder Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/09/22 12:04 AM

A really nice song Dan.

Very poignant and touching and powerful vocals.

Great job.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/09/22 12:46 PM
i like the emotion in the vocals.

my goodness my first impression was a 'tinge of elvis'
then i saw RnM posted the same. i agree.

i really like the honesty that comes thru'.

FANTASTIC HIGH VOCS EMOTION TOWARDS ENDING << VERY CATCHY. KUDOS.

happiness

om
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/10/22 04:13 PM
This is a beautiful poem that many of us can relate to and your song creation of it is lovely.

Beautiful performances and fine production all the way around!

Your vocal builds and dynamics are powerful and so well deliver the emotion of the write.

Congrats to you and the lyric writer!

J&B
Posted By: Dewey_MI Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/10/22 04:41 PM
Great sentiment and great job setting these lyrics to music Dan!

Na zdrowie!
Posted By: firesong Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/10/22 08:09 PM
David, om, J&B and Dewey...thanks to all of you for your comments...I sincerely appreciate all of them...Dan
Posted By: jannesan Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/12/22 02:22 PM
Strong touching lyrics and very powerful interpretation. Beautiful melody, I especially like the classic sounding chorus. Pleasant band, but the vocals are true highlight.

Janne
Posted By: firesong Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/12/22 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Strong touching lyrics and very powerful interpretation. Beautiful melody, I especially like the classic sounding chorus. Pleasant band, but the vocals are true highlight.

Janne

Janne...thanks you for your kind words...I appreciate them...Dan
Posted By: Scott C Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/13/22 09:40 PM
This one just about slipped by me. Loved the steel guitar in the song. Another super vocal and lyric. Excellent production as well...
Posted By: firesong Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/14/22 02:56 AM
Thanks Scott...glad it didn't slip by you cause I always appreciate your thoughts and comments...Dan
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/15/22 05:14 AM
Hi Dan
Beautiful country ballad
As always excellent sung
Very good background track
Makes very much joy to hear the song
Great work Dan
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: firesong Re: This Grateful Heart of Mine - 10/15/22 12:58 PM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Dan