PG Music Home
Thank you for taking the time to listen and offer constructive criticism.

I Would've Found You (D. Longuski)

_DOZE.STY. Doze Dreamy Country Ballad
All RealTracks. Key = E; BPM = 75
Instruments: El.Bass, Ac.Guitar, El.Guitar, PedalSteel, Drums
RD: NashvilleRadioFunkyBallad16^1-a,b:Snare, HiHat :Miles McPherson
RT1827: Bass, Electric, PopModernGrooveA-B Ev16 075 , Craig Young
RT793: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming ModernCountrySync Ev 100 , Tom Britt
RT1834: Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopModernGrooveChorusA-B Ev16 075 , Darin Favorite
RT2542: Pedal Steel, Background ModernBalladAtmosphere Ev16 065 , Eddy Dunlap

ADDED: Cello 1856
Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Thank you for taking the time to listen and offer constructive criticism.

I Would've Found You (D. Longuski)

Something went wrong:
"This track was not found. Maybe it has been removed"
Hey BD, thanks for trying to access it. I made it a public link so I think it will work now.
Dewey...great job...wow! that takes a range to sing and you nailed it! really great write...lyrically exceptional and melodically challenging but very dynamic and cool...as usual you've written a great song...maybe my favorite from you...glad you got the link opened up for us! best regards...Dan
Very nice Dewey. Great lyrics, great band and the cello works smile
Wow, what a song! That's a great write, not just another typical love song, but original, very meaningful and relatable without being too syrupy. This is one I wish I would have written. The steel was a little hard for me to hear until the end. The cello was sure nice, but I might have brought it up a little too, but that's just me.
Wow, killer chorus and great singing! Excellent premise for the lyric, too. The complete package. Great work.

I really love this Dewey. Nice work and great vocal.

It kind of has a seventies vibe to it, but that is totally fine by me, I love seventies stuff.

smile
Thanks Brad! I'll mess around with the mix to try and incorporate the steel and cello a bit more. I'm always afraid of doing too much in my mix so I appreciate your ear!!
Oh, man, when you open up those highs, it naturally brings chills to the surface. What a good song, Dewey. You have a wonderfully natural vibrato that is very pleasing. Lyrics are just perfect. The only constructive criticism I can offer is simply opinions, but since I enjoy hearing different opinions... Nothing anyone could say would make this song any better; it's already a top-notch write. So opinions direct toward the mix. I listened 3 times so far, trying to imagine how I'd change the mix, what instruments I'd bring out and which ones should stay back. No matter how I mix it, the most important thing (the vocal) is what should be the main focus, and you've nailed it.
I'm listening with headphones and I want to tuck that R acoustic guitar in a bit, but hey, this is excellent.

And man, your vocal performance is top notch. Way to go!
That is one memorable chorus that soars. Vocal is convincing and passionate.
Great song and performance. If I were mixing it I would:

1) generate two tracks of RT793 acoustic guitar, and pan one left and the other right. Not a duplicate but two different rendered tracks. Slightly wetten them too, and it will sound a lot fuller than the single guitar on the right.

2) Bring the bass up a bit, and maybe also the steel and cello.

3) Vocal is great. Perhaps a hair too dry for this style but don't over do it.

4) Would sound better if you ran Trackspacer on the acoustic guitars (especially) and probably the other instruments with a side chain on the great vocal, so that the vocal would sit nicely in the track but still have a full accompaniment sound.
1) Stunning writing. That's what stands out for me, here, both lyrically and musically.

2) So well sung, with emotion in the voice. Effortless high register.

Reminds me of some old-school singers, of whom the names escape me, right now, sadly ... but what a song.

No criticism at all ... this is really well done, from every aspect, for me. Well done!
Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to dig into the production and mixing of this one. I understand and will for sure take all your suggestions and try them out in a new mix this week; however, I'm not familiar with TrackSpacer so I'll have to do a little sleuthing on that one.

Na zdrowie!

Dewey
Thanks for the input, Olemon. Thomas suggested that I duplicate the ac. guitar and pan them hard L and R. So that will, hopefully, take care of the issue you were hearing. I really appreciate constructive criticism from those that know more than I do on this mixing stuff.

Na zdrowie!

Dewey
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Wow, what a song! That's a great write, not just another typical love song, but original, very meaningful and relatable without being too syrupy. This is one I wish I would have written. The steel was a little hard for me to hear until the end. The cello was sure nice, but I might have brought it up a little too, but that's just me.

Brad, I took Thomas' advice about duplicating and panning the ac. guitar hard R and L and the cello and steel seemed to pop out a little more. Let me know if you think this is enough for your ear. I really appreciate the help!

Na zdrowie!

Dewey
catchy chorus. and i really like your character vocals.

i hear some bgv's in this but thats just me.

really nice lyrics.

very nice song.

om
WOW!
This is an extremely good song!
The way you "scream it out" in the chorus.
Really great voice!

Anne-Marie
Dewey,

Wow what a great vocal range you have! You are nailing those highs on this beautiful song that is really well written! As far as critical input, I don't have any. Some good suggestions have been offered by others that might give you a little different sound, but it still sounds great to me!

Thanks, Torrey
Terrific vocal performance...it could use a tiny bit of EQing to reduce some of the strident tones on the more aggressive sounds.
I'm not fussed on the effect on the acoustic but the band is cool and supports your narrative & voice well.
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
catchy chorus. and i really like your character vocals.

i hear some bgv's in this but thats just me.

really nice lyrics.

very nice song.

om

OM, sorry for this silly question but what are bgv's?
Originally Posted By: rayc
Terrific vocal performance...it could use a tiny bit of EQing to reduce some of the strident tones on the more aggressive sounds.
I'm not fussed on the effect on the acoustic but the band is cool and supports your narrative & voice well.

Ray,

Do you mean my vocals need EQing? I think some of the parts are too loud and others too soft, volume wise. Therefore, I was going to do some pre-fx volume trim surgery to even them out more. Would this fix what you are talking about or are you saying it's more of a treble or bass issue?

Dewey
That’s a powerful performance!

Passionate vocal, good track selection and mix.

The sweet lyric really hit home with us. I (Bud) almost moved to the other side of the country years before I met Janice and we often talk about how we would have “found” each other somehow someway! smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Originally Posted By: Dewey_MI
Originally Posted By: rayc

Ray,

Do you mean my vocals need EQing? I think some of the parts are too loud and others too soft, volume wise. Therefore, I was going to do some pre-fx volume trim surgery to even them out more. Would this fix what you are talking about or are you saying it's more of a treble or bass issue?

Dewey

Probably - in some syllables things get a little aggressive and adjusting levels is a best 1st option rather than EQ.
Hi Dewey ...

What a great song! Everything about this is just so good. As previously mentioned, your higher regiuster is suimply awesome. Nice backing tracks.

No suggestions from that would help - just keep posting and I'll keep listening. Really nice work here!

Alan
Hello Dewey,

Like all others I was blown away by your vocals and the hight of them.
Very lovely melody. So; triple A!!!

Till your next one,
Hans
Great song, I really like how the title, the lyrics and the vocals are combined into a seamless and sincere composition. Very good singing, especially the chorus gives me shivers, I really like the vibrato in your voice.

Janne
Hi Dewey
Cool song
Really well sung
Your voice is very cool anyway
Maybe you should be a little bit braver with the drums and Bass
But in any case a great job
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Really cool concept!!! The melody is great and the vocal is passionate and heartfelt!! The only change I would make is cut out "to do" since the "you" in "found you" still rhymes but I think the lyric is more natural that way. Really cool song!!! Take care. Greg
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I had many suggestions regarding lyrics, production, melody, and mixing to improve this song from both folks in this forum and members in my NSAI chapter and reviewed them all. After sifting through it all I finalized this version that I put onto YouTube. Again, thank you all for your input and kind words!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ffc0furuY8
Yep, that worked wonders. Great song - all the way around.
I'm bumping this song for being my favorite Showcase tune of 2022. I play it all the time. Great song sung superbly.
Man - I thought your voice was going to crack wide open but you held it together and then the vibrato kicked in and it just opened right up - a joy to listen to - good supporting track and well constructed throughout - goodonya
Your vocal performance in the chorus gives me goosebumps. Awesome!

Thanks Rob for bumping the song!
© PG Music Forums