PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/09/22 12:14 PM
Recently, I was inspired to write a song after learning about "Kintsugi", the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery. Kintsugi's basic technique involves reassembling broken pottery using lacquer/glue that has been mixed with gold, silver or platinum. By doing this, the scars of breakage become valuable features that enhance the broken ceramics immeasurably.

Because there is a bit of a story behind this song that might interest some forum members, I'll detail my songwriting inspiration and approach in the post immediately below this one. In the meantime, if you'd like to have a listen (lyrics are on Soundcloud)...

This is intentionally just a simple song with minimalist production.

All constructive comments welcome.

I hope you enjoy it,
Noel

BIAB Band

Base style: _AHUIHOU.STY (A Hui Hou Hawaii Slack Key Solo)

RT1136: Bass, Acoustic-Guitar, FolkSwing Sw 110
RT606: Guitar, Nylon, Chet Fishin' Sw 120
RT1142: Ukulele, Strumming FolkSwing Sw 110
RT3701: Guitar, Acoustic, Soloist SlackKeySwing Sw 120
RealDrums: ShakerSwing8ths: a: Shaker b: ShakerSwing8ths
MIDI Guitar: Applied Acoustic GS-2 Strum, Winter Nylon, Jazz Swing (Factory)

Production Details in Reaper

Bass RT1136: Renaissance Bass VST3 plug-in, Hogarth 1
Solo RT3701: CLA Guitars VST3
Rhythm RT606: ReaEQ VST
Ukulele RT1142: CLA Unplugged VST3
MIDI Guitar GS-2: rendered to wav and MAutopan (Melda Productions) added

Vocals: ReaFir to remove background noise, ReaTune for tuning, ReaEQ + ReaComp to de-ess, Nectar 3 for overall vocal enhancement

Slapback delay (bus): ReaDelay on vocals and selected instruments
Final audio output: Ozone 9 for overall enhancement
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/09/22 12:15 PM
The journey of "Get Up And Get Going" began with the below video clip that I stumbled across on YouTube.

After watching this, the idea of embracing damage and using it to create something even more beautiful than the original started playing around in my mind. It's a very powerful metaphor for life.

While I was pondering this metaphor, I began zig-zagging my way around YouTube looking through old songs from the Tin Pan Alley era. That was when I landed "Put On A Happy Face" (POAHF) with Dick Van Dyke singing.

Because I approach songwriting mostly from an analytical perspective, my next step was to use POAHF to create a template.

When I looked at my sheet music for POAHF, the song was 32 bars long. Comparing this to the lyrics, I found that each eight bars of POAHF corresponded to four lyric phrases. In other words, the song consisted of four lots of 8-bar sections. The first and the third sections were musically and structurally the same, so I labeled these 'A' sections. The second and fourth sections were different from each other and different from the A-sections, so I labeled these 'B' and 'C'. The format of the song, therefore, can be described as A-B-A-C.

Since I've never written a song in this format, I was guided by POAHF and constructed my song in the same A-B-A-C format where each section was eight bars long. I varied the last two bars of my second A-section, though. This meant that while it was mostly the same as the first A-section, the second A-section was slightly different. Musically, such a section is often denoted with an apostrophe-like dash.

So the format for my song can be described as A-B-A'-C

I also noticed that in this format, the title appears as a lyric phrase on the second and fourth lines of the A-section.

Thus, with a format in mind about how to create a 32-bar song, I set about writing some lyrics to fit.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/09/22 12:24 PM
g'day mate.

this is a v special song imho i really liked this.

sometimes kiss just works.

loved the 'bounce' of this and the 'naturalness'.

an old AE i once met said 'a good hooky song should come thru' in a few traks'. this is a excellent example of what he said and a grrreat song.
its also an excellent example of not needing a ton of plug ins in a song.

SUPERB...>>>SERIOUSLY CATCHY.

happiness.

om
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/09/22 12:43 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
g'day mate.

this is a v special song imho i really liked this.

sometimes kiss just works.

loved the 'bounce' of this and the 'naturalness'.

an old AE i once met said 'a good hooky song should come thru' in a few traks'. this is a excellent example of what he said and a grrreat song.
its also an excellent example of not needing a ton of plug ins in a song.

SUPERB...>>>SERIOUSLY CATCHY.

happiness.

om

Hi om,

That was quick!

Thank you so much for jumping in and having a listen!!! It's 2:45 a.m. for me here right now, and you've made my night. I really appreciate your comments a great deal smile

May good things come your way,
Noel
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/09/22 02:15 PM
I think this is a real gem. It sounds like a tune from one of the great musicals of the 40s, 50s and 60s that Rodgers and Hammerstein, or Lerner and Loewe wrote. I've always wanted to write a song like that and have tried but not been successful at it. There are one or two lines where the prosody could be better but I'm comparing it to the great masters and that is perhaps unfair to do ("tougher and can do more" feels slightly cramped, for instance). In fairness, my songs always have a few instances like that.

I saw recently where you say you liked Tin Pan Alley songs but didn't think you had the voice for it. I think you should give it a try anyway. You have a great voice and it just may work in that genre.

Again, this tune's a real winner!
Posted By: RnAM Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/09/22 04:10 PM
Hi Noel,

This song really is a good combination of "Kintsugi" and the song "Put on a happy Face".
Interesting video about Kintsugi. I had seen these lines before, now I know why they are there.
It's like life itself.
All the cracks in our lives get healed in the long run (except the loss of a child, my mother told me), they make our lives interesting.
We should look upon wrinkles and scars as beautiful gold lines, that healed us too.
Sometimes other people heal us, sometimes we have to do it ourselves.
A happy face may help.

The song is really good, your voice beautiful and it gives you a happy feeling.

Anne-Marie
Posted By: musician17 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/09/22 04:17 PM
I hope this will come across in the spirit it's intended in, i.e. I hope this won't sound offensive in any way, because it's meant as a genuine compliment :-)

This song sounds like something Kermit the Frog might sing on Sesame Street! Something like "Being Green" or something. It has that kind of simple, clear, direct message - and your voice is the perfect "carrying agent", if that makes any sense, for this kind of song.

I personally genuinely loved it - you are the master of the positive message song. Bravo, bravo, bravo - and thanks so much for sharing, really put a huge grin on my face :-)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/09/22 04:21 PM
Noel,

Nice to see a Noel-song in the Showcase again.
With that signature Noel-song positivity!

Nice simple production. The acoustic solo was a good choice.
Really nice vocal. One of your best, I think.
And a good mix.

Leaves a smile on your face!

fj
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/09/22 04:39 PM
Your song reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it, and then I read:

Originally Posted By: musician17
This song sounds like something Kermit the Frog might sing on Sesame Street!

...this. Yep, and like musician17 I mean that in a very positive way, and no, your voice does NOT sound like Kermit the Frog smile

I like your song. A lot!
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/09/22 08:25 PM
Noel, it's to see a post from you. You've been missed.

I like this type of song. The minimal instrumentation works well. I can't imagine this song any other way. Your vocal fits this song nicely.
Posted By: firesong Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/10/22 12:49 AM
Noel ...this song should be presented to Disney or Pixar for one of their family picture...it's really a joyful positive song...Dick Van Dyke would have killed this one...though perhaps not as good as you just did it! really enjoyed it! best regards...Dan
Posted By: Al-David Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/10/22 01:13 AM
Hi Noel ...

A big smile on my face when I saw your name attached to a new post. We've missed you - a lot.

Yes, the KISS approach is perfect for this song. It's catchy and stays with the listener for quite some time after listening. It's a good ear bug!

Hope all is well in your world. Di and I are moving a long day by day.

Still smiling as that tune is still rattling around in my head!

Take care, my friend.

Alan
Posted By: jannesan Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/10/22 12:48 PM
Nice to hear again another Noel positive song. Very interesting backstory and inspiration for the song. Just wondering should I break something just to re-built it stronger smile

"Scars of experience are badges of pride" and many other beautiful lines are very uplifting and really made me smile. Perfect title for the catchy chorus. Simple but working arrangement and your smooth vocal is always big pleasure to listen to.

Janne
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/11/22 09:24 PM
Noel,

It's great to see one of my favorite artists gracing the forum with another classic! I love the simple instrumental approach of this track. It serve's to cradle perfectly the wonderful vocal you delivered here! What a great message that everybody needs! That ukulele...yes!!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: rayc Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/12/22 11:07 PM
You aced it Noel.
Everything to enjoy/like and appreciate.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/13/22 11:19 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I think this is a real gem. It sounds like a tune from one of the great musicals of the 40s, 50s and 60s that Rodgers and Hammerstein, or Lerner and Loewe wrote. I've always wanted to write a song like that and have tried but not been successful at it. There are one or two lines where the prosody could be better but I'm comparing it to the great masters and that is perhaps unfair to do ("tougher and can do more" feels slightly cramped, for instance). In fairness, my songs always have a few instances like that.

I saw recently where you say you liked Tin Pan Alley songs but didn't think you had the voice for it. I think you should give it a try anyway. You have a great voice and it just may work in that genre.

Again, this tune's a real winner!

Hi TuneMonger!

Thanks a ton for the uplifting comments.

It's interesting that the influence of Musicals came through. That was purely accidental. I'm a huge fan of musical-comedies, though, and I admire the melodists and lyricists from this era enormously. Quite honestly, I don't mind being compared to these masters favorably or unfavorably *LOL*. I'll take it either way.

And yeah, I love the Tin Pan Alley era of music. When it moves into the big-band genre, though, my skills are limited. Maybe one day I'll wake up feeling adventurous, and I'll try my hand with BIAB's big-band tracks. When others use these realtracks, like Josie/Sundance did recently, they sound awesome!

Thanks again for the visit, your comments and the smiles you brought my way smile
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/13/22 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Hi Noel,

This song really is a good combination of "Kintsugi" and the song "Put on a happy Face".
Interesting video about Kintsugi. I had seen these lines before, now I know why they are there.
It's like life itself.
All the cracks in our lives get healed in the long run (except the loss of a child, my mother told me), they make our lives interesting.
We should look upon wrinkles and scars as beautiful gold lines, that healed us too.
Sometimes other people heal us, sometimes we have to do it ourselves.
A happy face may help.

The song is really good, your voice beautiful and it gives you a happy feeling.

Anne-Marie

Hi Anne-Marie.

It's really great to see you! Thanks for visiting me and my song smile

When I saw that video on Kintsugi, I was inspired to do two things. The first was to write a song and to use the principle of Kintsugi as a metaphor for the lyrics. Now that I've managed to do that, I can move on to the second thing that I was inspired to do. And that is to break a piece of pottery and to put it back together again with golden highlighted cracks.

I've done a bit of research around the internet now and some of the Kintsugi craft work is incredible.

I love these thoughts of yours....

Originally Posted By: Anne-Marie
We should look upon wrinkles and scars as beautiful gold lines, that healed us too. Sometimes other people heal us, sometimes we have to do it ourselves. A happy face may help.

May lots of good things come your and Rob's way!
Noel
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/13/22 05:04 PM
Welcome back Noel!
We have missed you and your music.

This is a lovely song with a message we all can appreciate.

It’s so interesting how your inspiration for the song began with the discovery of kintsugi.
(Thank you for the video link.)

Janice is also a Tin Pan Alley fan and we both agree that you have mastered the genre.

The entire package (lyric, band, vocal, mix) is a delight (love the solo) and we hope to hear more from you soon!

J&B
Posted By: Scott C Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/13/22 09:46 PM
Excellent song Noel. Love the bounce to the song. Your songs are so positive. Super vocal and lyric. Excellent guitar solo. Well done...
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/15/22 05:18 AM
Hi Noel
Sounds really very good
Great sung
Maybe it's just the minimalistic that makes the song so interesting
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/15/22 12:39 PM
I hope this will come across in the spirit it's intended in, i.e. I hope this won't sound offensive in any way, because it's meant as a genuine compliment :-)

This song sounds like something Kermit the Frog might sing on Sesame Street! Something like "Being Green" or something. It has that kind of simple, clear, direct message - and your voice is the perfect "carrying agent", if that makes any sense, for this kind of song.

I personally genuinely loved it - you are the master of the positive message song. Bravo, bravo, bravo - and thanks so much for sharing, really put a huge grin on my face :-)

Hi James.

It's brilliant to see you smile Please rest assured that nothing you say will offend me.

I laughed out loud when I read your Kermit-frog comments. They weren't something I was expecting! I'm a super huge fan of Kermit's and the Sesame Street muppets. At one stage of my life, I was a salesman in a furniture and electrical home-wares shop, and every morning from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. Sesame Street would be on all the TV sets. I always made sure I was dusting TVs at that time. I ended up following the muppets for years.

It never occurred to me before your comment, but I can 100% hear the Kermit flavour to this song smile and I'm flattered by the comparison.

Thank you so much for taking the time to pop in! I really appreciate it.

All the very best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/15/22 12:52 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Noel,

Nice to see a Noel-song in the Showcase again.
With that signature Noel-song positivity!

Nice simple production. The acoustic solo was a good choice.
Really nice vocal. One of your best, I think.
And a good mix.

Leaves a smile on your face!

fj

Hi floyd.

It's fantastic to see/read you again. You've sure been having some hectic times over in you neck of the woods as a consequence of politics and nature! I hope that you've managed to survive everything with minimal impact.

Simple productions keep the bar low for me and, because I have a love-hate relationship with mixing, a low bar is much easier to jump over. I learnt that a long time ago. Every once in a while, though, I get inspired by people such as yourself who are fantastic at mixing a large number of sounds and who can create a brilliant end product. When such inspiration strikes, I try to be more adventurous. Maybe in a future song, I'll let creativity loose!

Thank you for visiting my thread and taking the time to listen and comment.

All the very best,
Noel
Posted By: rsdean Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/15/22 06:00 PM
Noel,

EXCELLENT! I love the way you do this style of music - you have the touch.

The production is outstanding and I think this is one of your best vocals - everything about this song works.

Loved it!

Bob
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/16/22 11:13 AM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Your song reminded me of something, but I couldn't place it, and then I read:

This song sounds like something Kermit the Frog might sing on Sesame Street!

...this. Yep, and like musician17 I mean that in a very positive way, and no, your voice does NOT sound like Kermit the Frog smile

I like your song. A lot!

Hi B.D.

Thank you! I appreciate your visit and that you took a bit of time out of your day to have a listen and to comment.

As I said to Musician17, I don't mind being compared to Kermit at all! Like you, the minute I read that, it was a perfect fit. Up until that moment, though, the thought that this song would suit a green muppet frog never once occurred to me! Now... how to get a copy to him... *ponder*...

Thanks again for dropping by.

Best regards,
Noel
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/16/22 11:19 AM
I missed this from your earlier post, Noel, and sorry.

What a genuinely brilliant composition. Your lyrical ability never ceases to amaze me. This is heartfelt, and I know it probably has a deep meaning in the message you have portrayed.

More brilliance, and thanks
Trev
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/16/22 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Noel, it's good to see a post from you. You've been missed.

I like this type of song. The minimal instrumentation works well. I can't imagine this song any other way. Your vocal fits this song nicely.

Hi Scott,

Thank you for passing through the thread and having a listen.

I did actually try a few variations with the backing since BIAB makes it so easy to do that, but whatever I tried, nothing sat as comfortably as the ukulele and two guitars. So, in the end, I just left it at that. That suited me, too, because mixing is something that challenges me and the less to mix, the easier it is smile

Thanks again for taking the time!

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/17/22 10:03 AM
Hi Noel,

Great to see a new song from you, it's been too long!

Love the positive message! Vocal sounds fine, and the acoustic guitar solo is perfect.

Nice one!
Posted By: animarorecords Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/18/22 03:10 AM
Noel,

Welcome back!
I have missed you and your music.
Any subject that you work on will always turn into a very positive song.
A-B-A-C format approach is also successful.

I am impressed that you know about Japanese Kintsugi and are interested in it.
Unfortunately, it is not used much in today's Japanese daily life.

But even today, you can often see kintsugi in fancy coffee shops.
When I see expensive cups with kintsugi, it makes me want to talk to the owner of the shop who is making coffee behind the counter.

Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: dcuny Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/18/22 03:50 AM
Fun song - your voice does a great job conveying the upbeat lyric.

Solid write, good mix, well done.

Late to the party, but not to late to enjoy it! laugh
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/21/22 09:03 AM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Noel ...this song should be presented to Disney or Pixar for one of their family picture...it's really a joyful positive song...Dick Van Dyke would have killed this one...though perhaps not as good as you just did it! really enjoyed it! best regards...Dan

Hi Dan.

Thanks for your uplifting comments smile I appreciate the smile that came with them! I'm pretty sure that Dick Van Dyke is way better than I'll ever be. I used really like watching him during my growing-up years.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/21/22 09:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Noel ...

A big smile on my face when I saw your name attached to a new post. We've missed you - a lot.

Yes, the KISS approach is perfect for this song. It's catchy and stays with the listener for quite some time after listening. It's a good ear bug!

Hope all is well in your world. Di and I are moving a long day by day.

Still smiling as that tune is still rattling around in my head!

Take care, my friend.

Alan

Hi Alan,

It's great to hear from you. I've been very slack with visiting this forum. For some reason, my songwriting seems to have faded away into pretty much nothingness. I'm not quite sure why, but the impetus to be creative seems to have taken a vacation. I didn't write a single song in 2021. All I did was polish up a couple that I'd done prior to '21. It's fantastic to see that you are still pumping out some fine works, though.

This year, I've actually written a handful of new songs. Hopefully, I'll get them up on the forum smile

I'm glad to hear that you and Di are still traveling from day to day. Sometimes, that's the best way to go, I think.

Take care, both of you. I'm sending lots of "good health to you both" thoughts your way.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/21/22 09:17 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nice to hear again another Noel positive song. Very interesting backstory and inspiration for the song. Just wondering should I break something just to re-built it stronger smile

"Scars of experience are badges of pride" and many other beautiful lines are very uplifting and really made me smile. Perfect title for the catchy chorus. Simple but working arrangement and your smooth vocal is always big pleasure to listen to.

Janne

Hi Janne!

It's excellent to see you. And thanks for noticing "scars of experience...". That was one of my favourite lines smile Yes it's a simple song with a simple production. That's always the easiest to work with, I reckon.

Thank you so much for taking time to visit and for posting such good-vibe comments. You made my day!

Best regards!
Noel
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/21/22 09:23 AM
What a fun song, Noel. I really appreciate your explanation. Ukulele was the perfect choice. The whole band is perfect. Man, I can see Dick Van Dyke dancing with this. You mix this with gold, and there are no cracks, but the whole piece is remarkable. Terrific.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 10/22/22 01:39 PM
Noel,
wonderful, very well arranged and performed song. Mix is clear and listens very well. Enjoyed your song and video on Kintsugi, very interesting and educational. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 11/15/22 08:21 PM
This is a great one for all ages. Masterful job at putting it together. The simplicity of the production is perfect for it, and you did a great job with the vocals. Excellent.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 11/16/22 11:34 AM
Hi Noell,

I once wrote your vocals sound like Robin Gibb, but you replied you never heard of him.
But I'm very pleased you are back on the forum again. It had taken some time, but what a return...
Your vocals still sound like Robin Gibb, I fear you still haven't heard who he was (he died some years ago)
and your song sound very cheerful and sweet at the same time. I loved it. But it sounded familiair to me, or at least the melody.
Can that be?

Recently I heard the name Kintsugi. I knew that form of art, but not it's name. In a recent Netflix series this was showed and then I heard this name for the first time. I think I was also doing that already, but unconsciously, when I glued a broken plate or something else. You kept seeing the cracks.

But nevertheless I really liked your song, vocals and lyrics,

Hans
Posted By: fgrittner Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 11/16/22 09:04 PM
Love it! I’m jealous.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: ♫ Get Up And Get Going - 12/17/22 08:13 AM
Torrey Bliss, rayc (Ray), Janice & Bud, Scott C, Project M (Andi), rsdean (Bob), AudioTrack (Trev), BlueAttitude (Dave), animarorecords (Shigeki Adachi), dcuny (David), BabuMusic (Marty), Rustyspoon (Misha), Brad Williams, Birchwood (Hans), fgrittner (Fred)…

Thank you all so much for taking the time to listen to my song and to leave some feedback for me. I sincerely apologise that it has taken me so long to get back you.

In the last part of October, I caught covid. And even though I’m vaxxed to the max that Australia recommends (4 x innoculations), it took me quite a while to recover. Even now, I’m still getting over it. Then beta testing for BIAB came along.

I hope that you and your families all have a wonderful Christmas.
Noel
© PG Music Forums