PG Music Home
Posted By: BabuMusic The Long Way Home - 11/03/22 09:21 AM
The Long Way Home on Soundclound
The Long Way Home on YouTube

Key=C , Tempo 69, Length (m:s)=4:36
No intro. 80 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 80. Repeat x1 chorus
Song is saved with bar changes for Tempo, Time signature,
Style is _DALLAS2.STY (Dallas 12-8 Ctry Blues Refrain)

RealTracks in style: 1152:Silence
RealTracks in style: 2167:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Country12-8John Sw 065
RealTracks in style: ~569:Guitar, Resophonic, Rhythm Blues Delta Sw 065
RealTracks in style: 2674:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Blues12-8Brent Sw 065
RealTracks in song: ~902:Bass, Electric, SmoothCool Sw16 075
RealDrums in Song:

At first I used a resonator, which gave it a good leisurely feel, but totally dumped it when Dave Bell sent me his guitar track. There is no solo in the song and it has a bit of a country flavor, so I hesitated to ask Dave to add fills –not because he wouldn't be great at it, but he knows I'm always afraid of wearing out my welcome. Whoa. Never again will I hesitate. He not only captured the easy stroll, but added so much MORE flavor, and even sounded a bit of country himself. [Nice hat, too.] So Dave Bell of Blue Attitude plays guitar, and I added bass and vocal. Your comments are not only welcomed, but treasured and very helpful.

The first verse is Guy Meets Girl, the second is Guy Gets Girl, and the third is Guy Is Already Married To Girl. You can change the genders anyway you like, of course. The leisurely feel represents... well, foreplay really, and the changing of keys represents impatience. The slowdown at the end expresses the desire to make it last.

The Long Way Home

You know I noticed when you walked in, your eyes they smiled so bright.
Then suddenly your lips rose up into this grin
that knocked me right out of the fight.
I lost myself in you. We need to be alone. I know the long way home.

I know the cool stream that winds through the trees
and where you never walk alone.
I know all the shortcuts to places no one sees.
Let's take the long way home.

You came alone and you walked right up to me
and flashed your loving smile.
The rest of the patrons were watching you in awe appreciating such a style.
Let's turn around and go. We need to be alone. I know the long way home.

We've had enough of the place so let's go. It's such a lovely night.
We'll take our good time with stops along the way, and you can hold me tight.
We'll go a little ways where we can be alone. We'll take the long way home.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: The Long Way Home - 11/03/22 09:39 AM
I like everything about this song, the melody, the lyrics, the way it develops...and I think the key and the way you sing suits your voice very well.

In my opinion, your best vocal performance so far (Being the new kid on the block I haven't heard all your songs yet, though).
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: The Long Way Home - 11/03/22 10:48 AM
Hey Marty,
You may know all the short cuts but you guys certainly didn't take any putting this together. Very enjoyable.

I was bracing myself for you not hitting that low vocal note at the end but you nailed it. Great job.
Posted By: MarioD Re: The Long Way Home - 11/03/22 11:25 AM
Marty and Dave, this is so professional it is scary!

Outstanding vocal, lyrics, guitar, bass, and mix.

IMHO this is your best to date.

Loved the song - loved the video.
Posted By: Derochette Re: The Long Way Home - 11/03/22 11:30 AM
Hi BabuMusic,

Nice symbiosis between your lyrics and the guitar. It's fun and well done. I enjoyed.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: The Long Way Home - 11/03/22 03:44 PM
Good song, well sung, and all of the elements worked well. Dave's guitar is ace. I've always liked your singing, I like the way you treat a lyric. Key changes worked well. I thought this song might be better if the tempo was bumped up 5 BPM. Not a deal breaker, but it just felt that way to me. Still a good un and I listened several times.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: The Long Way Home - 11/03/22 04:09 PM
Marty,

Nice! (I'll disagree with Bob - I thought the tempo was appropriate)

A good write. Well sung. Nice production.
Very "comfortable".
Love that bass!

Dave did a great job on the fills!

fj
Posted By: PeterF Re: The Long Way Home - 11/03/22 07:49 PM
Marty

A very nice pleasant listen, well played, sung and produced.

Good to hear Dave doing some "country" he is versatile and you two always make grerat music.

Peter
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Long Way Home - 11/04/22 10:16 AM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I like everything about this song, the melody, the lyrics, the way it develops...and I think the key and the way you sing suits your voice very well.

In my opinion, your best vocal performance so far (Being the new kid on the block I haven't heard all your songs yet, though).

Thanks, BD. Vocals were never my strength for sure, because I can't sing and play at the same time, and I never found a band looking for a frontman.

Originally Posted By: Bass Thumper
Hey Marty,
You may know all the short cuts but you guys certainly didn't take any putting this together. Very enjoyable.

I was bracing myself for you not hitting that low vocal note at the end but you nailed it. Great job.

Thanks, Steve. You can surely appreciate the HUGE yet subtle difference Dave's playing does for this no-solo song. Yeah, that last note is an open E, 6th string. Much easier for me than the open E, 1st string. smile

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Marty and Dave, this is so professional it is scary!

Outstanding vocal, lyrics, guitar, bass, and mix.

IMHO this is your best to date.

Loved the song - loved the video.

Thanks, Mario. I'll tell ya what's scary --your ability to create such an incredible variety of tunes in like no time. Thanks for all you say.
Posted By: rsdean Re: The Long Way Home - 11/04/22 12:16 PM
Marty,

Great! Love the song, instrumentation and the ending is awesome!

Much enjoyed!

Bob
Posted By: firesong Re: The Long Way Home - 11/04/22 12:53 PM
Marty...as a member of the BabuMusic fan club I must say "well done"....man you just keep'em coming...I like the whole package (as usual) especially the modulations...they were so well placed and add such a professional touch to the arrangement...I'm a sucker for 12/8 and the high hat tip-toes us down the path on "the long way home"...your videos kill me (in a good way...not the way my wife means it smile...your vocals are great especially the bass dip at the end...so pro...so you and Dave...BIG fan!
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: The Long Way Home - 11/04/22 01:37 PM
Hi Marty and Dave
One of your best songs
Great songwriting
Vocals, guitar and sound are really cool
All around a great song
Also like the video and it fits the song well
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: dcuny Re: The Long Way Home - 11/04/22 03:20 PM
So you're saying I should be reading in between the lines of the lyric and find some sort of sexual innuendo laced subtext?

And just when I managed to drag my mind out of the gutter! crazy

I thought the tempo of the song was a good match for the lyric - a sort of easygoing gait.

A pleasant listen, well arranged, sung and mixed. I thought the nuclear meltdown was an inspired match to the lyric!
Posted By: RnAM Re: The Long Way Home - 11/05/22 12:41 PM
A very nice Long Way Home!
Splendid music and vocals.
Great vocals at the end laugh
And a lovely video too!

Anne-Marie
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: The Long Way Home - 11/05/22 04:41 PM
Yes, Jeevs, take the long way home!

Very good, sweet (Janice’s word) lyric delivered by a resonant, rich vocal.
Those key changes were great.

Dave’s guitar fills, as Peter mentioned, have a nice bit of country feel to them. Excellent!

Your bass (we think) and the BiaB tracks, as always, are hittin’ the note.

Cool video too, as always.
And for J&B it’s hard to go wrong with a mountain bike trail and clear creeks!

Good one!

J&B

PS: RT Bass and Marty Bass?
Posted By: rayc Re: The Long Way Home - 11/06/22 05:29 AM
It's a stroll with an urgent story but it works a treat,
Everything to enjoy in the arrangement and your performances with Dave adding the icing.
Your voice is really cool.
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Long Way Home - 11/07/22 10:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi BabuMusic,

Nice symbiosis between your lyrics and the guitar. It's fun and well done. I enjoyed.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Hi, Derochette, and thanks. Yeah, I was really blown away how well Dave interpreted the song, and added so much more than I thought possible.

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Good song, well sung, and all of the elements worked well. Dave's guitar is ace. I've always liked your singing, I like the way you treat a lyric. Key changes worked well. I thought this song might be better if the tempo was bumped up 5 BPM. Not a deal breaker, but it just felt that way to me. Still a good un and I listened several times.

Thanks for everything, Bob. I went back and forth many times on the tempo, but in the end decided to slow it down to a speed conducive to a stroll by a stream. One time, I even tried to hurry the tempo gradually like the guy just couldn't wait to get home.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Marty,

Nice! (I'll disagree with Bob - I thought the tempo was appropriate)

A good write. Well sung. Nice production.
Very "comfortable".
Love that bass!

Dave did a great job on the fills!

fj

Thanks so much, Floyd. Comfortable -- I like that.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Marty

A very nice pleasant listen, well played, sung and produced.

Good to hear Dave doing some "country" he is versatile and you two always make grerat music.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. Yeah, Dave seems quite comfortable in cowboy boots.
Posted By: Scott C Re: The Long Way Home - 11/07/22 07:44 PM
Awesome tune Marty. Really cool groove. Excellent vocal. Instrumentation was perfect. Loved Dave's glassy tones. Perfect callbacks to the vocal. Just loved the mix and instrument separation. Well done
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: The Long Way Home - 11/07/22 11:48 PM
Marty & Dave.

Make a bad song already, so I don't feel so inferior!
Wonderful tune. No matter which style you tackle, it comes out super smooth, like you been playing together for many many years. Excellent guitar and bass playing and super vocals. Very clear mix. Enjoyed it and thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: The Long Way Home - 11/08/22 08:03 AM
Thanks to everyone that mentioned my part in this song. Always a pleasure to work with Marty on his music!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Long Way Home - 11/09/22 09:35 AM
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Marty,

Great! Love the song, instrumentation and the ending is awesome!

Much enjoyed!

Bob

Thank you, Bob. Glad you like it!

Originally Posted By: firesong
Marty...as a member of the BabuMusic fan club I must say "well done"....man you just keep'em coming...I like the whole package (as usual) especially the modulations...they were so well placed and add such a professional touch to the arrangement...I'm a sucker for 12/8 and the high hat tip-toes us down the path on "the long way home"...your videos kill me (in a good way...not the way my wife means it smile...your vocals are great especially the bass dip at the end...so pro...so you and Dave...BIG fan!

Thanks, Dan. Glad you mentioned the modulations. You are the king of that technique. You're killing me with jokes about your wife. Judging from your apparent happiness, I'd say she has the best definition of "kill."

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Marty and Dave
One of your best songs
Great songwriting
Vocals, guitar and sound are really cool
All around a great song
Also like the video and it fits the song well
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks so much, Andi. Can't wait for your new one. The previews sound really good.

Originally Posted By: dcuny
So you're saying I should be reading in between the lines of the lyric and find some sort of sexual innuendo laced subtext?

And just when I managed to drag my mind out of the gutter! crazy

I thought the tempo of the song was a good match for the lyric - a sort of easygoing gait.

A pleasant listen, well arranged, sung and mixed. I thought the nuclear meltdown was an inspired match to the lyric!

Hi, David. I always enjoy your comments, and often on others' posts I say, "Yeah, like David said..." Hmmm. I thought sexual innuendos are in every song.
Posted By: vicarn Re: The Long Way Home - 11/09/22 12:49 PM
Lovely line for a song when you're young, Marty.
It's the short way for me nowadays.

Vic
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: The Long Way Home - 11/10/22 12:06 PM
Marty,

Your choice of using Daves parts in this was a good one! Blues players and Country pickers are distant cousins and not that far apart. Daves work was great! Love your vocals and IMO you can do a "Country" flavored tune very well! Love that drop down on the vocals at the end!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: jannesan Re: The Long Way Home - 11/10/22 04:29 PM
Nice romantic country tune and together with the video everything tastes sweet along the trees and the cool streams. Great band, the piano, your bass and Dave's guitar play tightly together. Enjoyed the vocals also and then ending note made me smile. Nice held ending too, maybe not as long as The Beatles had on their A Day In The Life, but enough to give the impression of the everlasting walk or something related to tantra smile

Janne
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Long Way Home - 11/12/22 10:33 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
A very nice Long Way Home!
Splendid music and vocals.
Great vocals at the end laugh
And a lovely video too!

Anne-Marie

Thank you, Anne-Marie. SO happy you like it.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Yes, Jeevs, take the long way home!

Very good, sweet (Janice’s word) lyric delivered by a resonant, rich vocal.
Those key changes were great.

Dave’s guitar fills, as Peter mentioned, have a nice bit of country feel to them. Excellent!

Your bass (we think) and the BiaB tracks, as always, are hittin’ the note.

Cool video too, as always.
And for J&B it’s hard to go wrong with a mountain bike trail and clear creeks!

Good one!

J&B

PS: RT Bass and Marty Bass?

I play the part of Jeeves in some of the made-up games Charley and I play. That's sweet of you, Janice. At first I didn't understand your question in the PS. Ha. I just cut and paste the BiaB info and forgot to remove the original bassist.

Originally Posted By: rayc
It's a stroll with an urgent story but it works a treat,
Everything to enjoy in the arrangement and your performances with Dave adding the icing.
Your voice is really cool.

Thanks, Ray. Yes, an urgent story with a happy ending.

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Awesome tune Marty. Really cool groove. Excellent vocal. Instrumentation was perfect. Loved Dave's glassy tones. Perfect callbacks to the vocal. Just loved the mix and instrument separation. Well done

HUGE thanks to you, Scott.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: The Long Way Home - 11/14/22 11:50 AM
Hi Marty and Dave,

This is a very pleasant song for a loooong walk home!
While the tempo fits perfectly with my walking tempo, your vocals fit perfectly in the song.
and Dave also fits perfectly in it.
What a nice song you made!
I agree with everyone else about it. But how low did your vocals go at the end! Must have cost you a lot of booz...

I enjoyed it very much,
Hans
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: The Long Way Home - 11/15/22 09:24 PM
Sweet lyrics. Just the right sentimentality that I like.

Dave's bits fit in seamlessly, just as I have come to expect.

Tempo works for me. I like the vocal build in the last chorus. Ooo, the depth of that last note!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Long Way Home - 11/17/22 09:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Marty & Dave.

Make a bad song already, so I don't feel so inferior!
Wonderful tune. No matter which style you tackle, it comes out super smooth, like you been playing together for many many years. Excellent guitar and bass playing and super vocals. Very clear mix. Enjoyed it and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Thank, Misha. Harumph! I have plenty of bad ones. Just visit my YT channel --or better yet, visit my website. There are songs there that will never even make it to YT.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Thanks to everyone that mentioned my part in this song. Always a pleasure to work with Marty on his music!

Thanks for BEING in the song, Dave.

Originally Posted By: vicarn
Lovely line for a song when you're young, Marty.
It's the short way for me nowadays.

Vic

Ah, yes, Vic, and you'll notice I know all the shortcuts. hehe

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Marty,

Your choice of using Daves parts in this was a good one! Blues players and Country pickers are distant cousins and not that far apart. Daves work was great! Love your vocals and IMO you can do a "Country" flavored tune very well! Love that drop down on the vocals at the end!

Thanks, Torrey

Thanks, Torrey. Yes, I feel every song stems from the Blues.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Nice romantic country tune and together with the video everything tastes sweet along the trees and the cool streams. Great band, the piano, your bass and Dave's guitar play tightly together. Enjoyed the vocals also and then ending note made me smile. Nice held ending too, maybe not as long as The Beatles had on their A Day In The Life, but enough to give the impression of the everlasting walk or something related to tantra smile

Janne

Thanks, Janne. Love that comment. Yeah, I think I've played every Beatle song at least once with some band. Even did Revolution No. 9 once. hehe Thanks, man.
Posted By: musician17 Re: The Long Way Home - 11/18/22 02:34 PM
Oh my word, this is (even by your high standards, where I've come to expect excellence) STUNNING.

I'm no good at comparing artists, but this has a kind of Elvis-y vibe to it.

In any case, bravo. Superbly done. And Dave does a tremendous job on the guitar :-)
Posted By: animarorecords Re: The Long Way Home - 11/19/22 02:50 AM
Marty and Dave,

It's a song with a very laid back atmosphere that makes me feel relieved.
It's basically a country song, but I felt that something was added to it.
The vocals and guitars are cleverly matched, making for a very professional production.
The video also matches the music very well.
Enjoyed my listen and watch a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: The Long Way Home - 11/20/22 11:22 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Marty and Dave,

This is a very pleasant song for a loooong walk home!
While the tempo fits perfectly with my walking tempo, your vocals fit perfectly in the song.
and Dave also fits perfectly in it.
What a nice song you made!
I agree with everyone else about it. But how low did your vocals go at the end! Must have cost you a lot of booz...

I enjoyed it very much,
Hans

HA! Hans, I love the way you think. I do a lot of walking, and have yet to find anyone as fast. I'm always on point. For me it's always the cheap wine. hehe

Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Sweet lyrics. Just the right sentimentality that I like.

Dave's bits fit in seamlessly, just as I have come to expect.

Tempo works for me. I like the vocal build in the last chorus. Ooo, the depth of that last note!

Thanks, Scott. That last note is just an E2 (open 6th string on guitar), which is really more my comfort zone.

Originally Posted By: musician17
Oh my word, this is (even by your high standards, where I've come to expect excellence) STUNNING.

I'm no good at comparing artists, but this has a kind of Elvis-y vibe to it.

In any case, bravo. Superbly done. And Dave does a tremendous job on the guitar :-)

Thanks, James. Hey, I was just thinking of you. Missed you and was about to go searching for you. The only thing I have in common with Elvis is I like peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Marty and Dave,

It's a song with a very laid back atmosphere that makes me feel relieved.
It's basically a country song, but I felt that something was added to it.
The vocals and guitars are cleverly matched, making for a very professional production.
The video also matches the music very well.
Enjoyed my listen and watch a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks, Shigeki. I can't talk to you without mentioning how blown away I am from the strings you put on Andi's new one. Man, I can't wait to hear the final mix on that. Thanks again.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: The Long Way Home - 11/22/22 03:30 PM
Marty, this is superb! Has such a bluesy-country feel to it. Sounds like both you and Dave were born for this kind of music. All the musical parts work so well together - and you did a great job with that Vocal!
© PG Music Forums