PG Music Home
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/03/22 11:41 AM
Title: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real

Link: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real

SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/eleanorlennox/being-real

This is a more critical song against the current state of society where you are only accepted if you play a certain game, get plastic surgery to get the expected youthful look, have the right opinions and pretend to be wealthy and being cool.

I'm not 100% happy with the song (some days I really love it, other days I find it boring
and the lyrics pretentious), but it's finished and shouldn't be gathering dust on my computer.

I'd love for you guys to give me feedback on what you think of it, and it's 100% fine if you don't like it as long as you tell me why (after all, I want to improve).

Some trivia you might not be interested in:

• the song started out as a kind of mellow Carpenters song with Natalie, but at some point I took the wrong road and ended up somewhere else, and Eleanor is singing it now.
  • the song is in the upper range of Eleanor's feel-good range, but if you take the song down a third, the feeling is completely destroyed, so I left it up there.
  • I started with my usual "wall of guitars" (Raccoon in a dumpster had 8 of them), but reduced it to 4 because (at least in my opinion) a more fragile sound suits the song better.
  • It was unexpectedly hard to mix, with lots of automation and side-chaining and what not to get things where they needed to be.
  • The images you see in the video were all created by an AI. Not all of them are perfect, but they serve their purpose and I don't have to worry about copyright claims anymore.

Special thanks (again) to Marty for proofreading the lyrics and the encouraging words. You rule!

Some technical infos:
Styles: Broken.STY and SHINSYN.STY

The band:
Drums: SkaSlow70sWesPerc and RockThrashHalfTime
Bass: 1009 (re-amped)
Guitars: 3931, 4100, 3642 and 634
Bosendorfer 290 Piano: yours truly
Vocals: Eleanor Lennox with BG-vocals from her younger sisters Natalie and Weina.

You can find the lyrics below in the next posting.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/03/22 11:41 AM
Title: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real

Verse 1:
I do live on thin ice
A life that seems so good
It's just a facade, built on wealth and looks
Born of insecurity
Expectations I try to fulfill
The person I did not want to be

Pre-Chorus 1:
I just don't wanna be that way
A mindless lemming on its way to conformity, no way
And I never really wanna be a puppet of society
A minion, someones property, just to be free

Chorus 1:
No, no, just no
no, no, no no

Verse 2:
What seems right is often wrong
You can't buy someone's soul
Marching to the drums of conformity
Like a soldier who must obey
Pretending to be good with a dishonest look
But the devil inside tries to escape

Pre-Chorus 2:
But I just wanna be myself
with all the freckles on my face
the hidden ugly side of the human race

Chorus 3:
That is what I'm forced to be
That is what I gonna be, gonna be
That is what I gonna be
Posted By: MarioD Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/03/22 11:58 AM
The vocal sounded extremely real. I don't think it was out of the "upper range of Eleanor's feel-good range" at all.

Loved the lyrics. They are so true in today's world.

Super dynamics - great half wall of guitars

I found nothing wrong with this song.
Posted By: firesong Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/03/22 02:25 PM
B.D...I'm still amazed at Eleanor...I agree with Mario's comments and assessment...the track was super...the guitars gave the song the drive it needed and Eleanor's vocal was certainly human sounding though maybe a bit restrained in her performance...the theme is compelling and tragically true for so many...certainly a well crafted and delivered social comment in an interesting and melodic package! Dan

(Do you have a Bosendorfer 290?)
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/03/22 03:40 PM
B.D.,

An interesting write.

The chugging guitars are nicely done.
Interesting drum combination. Well used.
Vocals are good.
Mix sounds good.

A very cool video!

Enjoyed the listen.
You are doing some interesting stuff with BIAB....

fj
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/03/22 04:30 PM
Nice song, short and sweet! Vocals were really good, and the video was a nice complement to the lyrics. Everything worked well for me. The lyrics were mostly good with an awkward phrase here and there. It held my interest well and was short so I listened several times. Very good work overall.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/03/22 07:43 PM
Good song but I was really captivated by the video - that was excellent.

Enjoyed it (and the synth singer sounded very good indeed).

Peter
Posted By: dcuny Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/04/22 06:04 AM
I like the song! Good production, vocals sound good. laugh

But since you're asking for feedback, here's some thoughts to ignore: wink

The first verse piecemeal and not very lyrical. In particular, the first line:

I do live on thin ice

comes out with long pauses between the first words, and "do" is a filler word.

The lyrics also combined opposing ideas into the same phrase, such as:

A minion, someone's property, just to be free

"just to be free" isn't part of the list that it follows, and "to be" without "want" doesn't make much sense.

But I'll admit that, despite my complaints, proper grammar in songs is vastly overrated! wink

The same thing happens in the last chorus, where "that" in one phrase refers to what they "are forced to be", and then is followed by what they are "gonna be":

With all the freckles on my face
   The hidden ugly side of the human race

Again, not a big deal. Nice work!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/04/22 09:59 AM
Oh, I love the sentiment of the song, and an excellent production, BD. Never too many guitars, but, yeah, it becomes quite difficult to mix them all to make them relate. You did an excellent job on this. AI! Excellent. A friend of mine added some of my lyrics to create some cool images. You did a great job with these. Did you create them, too? In Mid Journey? They really do this cool song justice. Yeah, when it comes to society I'm more of an amused observer than a willing participant.
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/04/22 01:32 PM
Hi B.D.
Really cool song that works perfectly in conjunction with the video
The vocals are impressively good
Very good work B.D.
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/04/22 04:20 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
The vocal sounded extremely real. I don't think it was out of the "upper range of Eleanor's feel-good range" at all.

Loved the lyrics. They are so true in today's world.

Super dynamics - great half wall of guitars

I found nothing wrong with this song.

Thank you for your kind comment, Mario.

I think you just created a new term in music production: "Half Wall of Guitars".
The little sister of Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound" grin
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/04/22 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
B.D...I'm still amazed at Eleanor...I agree with Mario's comments and assessment...the track was super...the guitars gave the song the drive it needed and Eleanor's vocal was certainly human sounding though maybe a bit restrained in her performance...the theme is compelling and tragically true for so many...certainly a well crafted and delivered social comment in an interesting and melodic package! Dan

(Do you have a Bosendorfer 290?)

Thank you so much for your kind comment, Dan. Very appreciated.

I would love to own a Bosendorfer 290, but they are extremely expensive and my piano skills would not do them justice anyway.
I use a virtual instrument along with my master keyboard.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/05/22 08:48 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
B.D.,

An interesting write.

The chugging guitars are nicely done.
Interesting drum combination. Well used.
Vocals are good.
Mix sounds good.

A very cool video!

Enjoyed the listen.

Thanks for listening and your feedback, Floyd. It's highly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
You are doing some interesting stuff with BIAB...

Thanks again. Well, if BG Music would finally implement their "all tracks are equal" feature properly and change the instruments in the mixer window according to a style change, it would also be EASY to do interesting things...
But I guess I'm not the only one complaining about this.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/05/22 11:18 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Nice song, short and sweet! Vocals were really good, and the video was a nice complement to the lyrics. Everything worked well for me. The lyrics were mostly good with an awkward phrase here and there. It held my interest well and was short so I listened several times. Very good work overall.

Thank you for your kind comment, Rob.
If you find awkward phrases don't be shy and write what's wrong.
I'm here to learn!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/05/22 11:38 AM
Very interesting song B.D.!
Vocal sounds very good, music too.
Really good lyrics, you're absolutely right about it.
And... I love the video!

Anne-Marie
Posted By: jannesan Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/05/22 01:18 PM
I like the message of the song, "Marching to the drums of conformity" is a nice write.

On the first listen, the vocals and guitars seemed to fight for the same frequencies, I couldn't fully hear the lyrics, after reading them that was no more a problem, but maybe a boost on Eleanor's higher frequencies could make things better... or maybe it is just my bad hearing wink Anyway, nice pop band fits with Eleanor's low voice and especially the drums are mixed perfectly. Good work with Eleanor.

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/05/22 04:59 PM
Eleanor and her siblings nailed it!

Another fine example of the power of this technology in talented hands.

Your piano, the RT's and the mix yielded excellent dynamics.

Your excellent video, while different from the previous, offered images that well supported the lyric.

Nice production ... not nits.

J&B
Posted By: olemon Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/06/22 10:13 AM
I like the tune. Eleanor has a terrific voice. I actually wanted the vocal to be a bit more up front.

But hey, the production is quite solid.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/06/22 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Good song but I was really captivated by the video - that was excellent.

Enjoyed it (and the synth singer sounded very good indeed).

Peter

Thanks for listening and the nice feedback, Peter.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/06/22 12:58 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
...here's some thoughts to ignore: wink

Forget it. I'm here to learn. And this is very detailed feedback. I really appreciate you taking the time to write all this smile

The first verse piecemeal and not very lyrical. In particular, the first line:

I do live on thin ice

comes out with long pauses between the first words, and "do" is a filler word.

Yes, that's true. The pauses are intentional to start slowly, and "I'm living on thin ice" had the wrong flow. But that "do" is indeed a bit edgy. I'll try to find something better.

The lyrics also combined opposing ideas into the same phrase, such as:

A minion, someone's property, just to be free

"just to be free" isn't part of the list that it follows, and "to be" without "want" doesn't make much sense.

Here I disagree, the "want" is there: I never really wanna be <e.g. a murderer> in order to be free.
But the "in order" makes that more clear, I think I'll change that.

The same thing happens in the last chorus, where "that" in one phrase refers to what they "are forced to be", and then is followed by what they are "gonna be":

With all the freckles on my face
   The hidden ugly side of the human race

Would changing the last line to "This is what I gonna be" make it better?

Again, not a big deal. Nice work!

Don't worry, my singers are willing to do unlimited retakes.
Good girls... grin
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/06/22 01:11 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Oh, I love the sentiment of the song, and an excellent production, BD. Never too many guitars, but, yeah, it becomes quite difficult to mix them all to make them relate. You did an excellent job on this. AI! Excellent. A friend of mine added some of my lyrics to create some cool images. You did a great job with these. Did you create them, too? In Mid Journey? They really do this cool song justice. Yeah, when it comes to society I'm more of an amused observer than a willing participant.

Thank you for your kind words and of course for proofreading my lyrics, Marty

I did all the pictures myself, but not "in the middle of the journey": I always finish a song first before thinking about the video. I think if I did both at the same time I would never finish anything...
I did it similar to your friend, I fed the AI with (slightly changed) lyrics of my song. It took many tries before I had the final 29 images.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/07/22 02:14 AM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Would changing the last line to "This is what I gonna be" make it better?

That's your call.

I'll be honest: I'm pretty brutal when it comes to edits and rewrites. For example, I think the first verse would be a lot stronger if you shuffled things around a bit:

Born of insecurity
   I live on thin ice
   The expectations I try to fulfill
   Are not for me, or the person I want to be

But that's not the same as thinking you should actually rewrite it.

Because - for me, anyway - rewriting involves throwing old stuff out, and replacing it with new material. Rhymes and lines I love are tossed out, and although I think I end up with a stronger song, it's not the same song.

I'm not sure that something you want to do.

So the minor edits? Do what you think is best. I don't think it'll make that much difference.

But your singers won't care, either way. laugh
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/07/22 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi B.D.
Really cool song that works perfectly in conjunction with the video
The vocals are impressively good
Very good work B.D.
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks for listening and your nice feedback, Andi. Very appreciated!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/07/22 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Very interesting song B.D.!
Vocal sounds very good, music too.
Really good lyrics, you're absolutely right about it.
And... I love the video!

Anne-Marie

Thank you for your positive feedback, Anne-Marie.
I'm glad you enjoyed the video as well. It was the first time I tried something like this.
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/07/22 05:32 PM
> Thank you for your kind comment, Rob.
> If you find awkward phrases don't be shy and write what's wrong.
> I'm here to learn!

Hey B.D.,

Dave Cuny covered all my points and much more. But in the future I'll point out anything I think is amiss. In general, you do a great job for English not being your primary language.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/08/22 07:58 AM

Nice! Good message. Lyrics work for me, but I'm certainly not the strongest lyricist here, and I see you have already received good feedback on that aspect.

Music wise I love the way you build the intensity of the track with guitars/drums, then drop it back etc. Great dynamics! Vocal sounds good, delivers the message well.

Really liked the video too, what software do you use if you don't mind my asking? I'm always trying to improve the videos I do.

Overall, really well done, watched a couple of times.
Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/08/22 10:49 AM
B.D.,
Neat tune. Good message & good lyrics. Pretty cool things what those vocal synths can do. You did a grand job on making robo girl respect phrasing. Good arrangement. Very clear mix and listens well. In my view does not need Botox. Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

P.S. I believe you take critique well... So here is my 2 cents. In recent couple of years I have heard couple of dozen tunes in which vocaloids were used. It starting to sound a bit the "same" as far as voice "characteristics" go. I would try to dust vocals a little with some plugins, like saturation / distortion or some other coloring filters, so it doesn't sound too surgical. I hope it makes sense.
Posted By: djames Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/08/22 12:37 PM
Hi B.D., really good sound - very modern feel, love the drums and great video as well. Would never have known it was AI vocals, wow!

Cheers,
David
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/08/22 06:27 PM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
I like the message of the song, "Marching to the drums of conformity" is a nice write.

On the first listen, the vocals and guitars seemed to fight for the same frequencies, I couldn't fully hear the lyrics, after reading them that was no more a problem, but maybe a boost on Eleanor's higher frequencies could make things better... or maybe it is just my bad hearing wink Anyway, nice pop band fits with Eleanor's low voice and especially the drums are mixed perfectly. Good work with Eleanor.

Janne

Thanks a lot for listening and your feedback, Janne.

I used "ducking" to get the piano out of the way for vocals, but I didn't do it for the guitars because they are hard panned L/R, so theoretically there shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't tested it in mono, though, so a mono speaker (or stereo speakers far enough away) might show a problem.
I'll check that. Thanks for pointing this out!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/08/22 06:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Another fine example of the power of this technology in talented hands.

Your piano, the RT's and the mix yielded excellent dynamics.

Your excellent video, while different from the previous, offered images that well supported the lyric.

Nice production ... not nits.

J&B

Thank you both for your nice comment, J&B.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Eleanor and her siblings nailed it!

I now have 4 siblings: Eleanor, Natalie, Weina and Kevin.
The plan is to create the digital equivalent of The Corrs and conquer the (music) world grin
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/09/22 04:04 PM
Originally Posted By: olemon
I like the tune. Eleanor has a terrific voice. I actually wanted the vocal to be a bit more up front.

But hey, the production is quite solid.

Thanks for listening and your feedback, Scott. When I do the final mix including all the great feedback from this forum I'll surely have a second look at the vocal levels.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/09/22 04:41 PM
I'll be honest: I'm pretty brutal when it comes to edits and rewrites. For example, I think the first verse would be a lot stronger if you shuffled things around a bit:

Born of insecurity
   I live on thin ice
   The expectations I try to fulfill
   Are not for me, or the person I want to be

But that's not the same as thinking you should actually rewrite it.

Because - for me, anyway - rewriting involves throwing old stuff out, and replacing it with new material. Rhymes and lines I love are tossed out, and although I think I end up with a stronger song, it's not the same song.

I'm not sure that something you want to do.

Thank you so much for taking the time (again) to write such detailed feedback, David. I really appreciate it!
I have absolutely no problem throwing out old stuff (okay, if I have a video with lip-synced animations, I have a problem. A different one though...), so I'm always open to help from others.

In my opinion, if you want to write the best song possible, you should leave your ego in the closet and listen to what others have to offer.
And what you offer here is pretty good, especially the last 2 lines make the first verse much stronger.

If you're fine with it I'll try to change the first verse (I hope I can get all the syllables in), give you co-writing credits and you'll be rich and famous grin
Posted By: dcuny Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/09/22 05:58 PM
If you're fine with it I'll try to change the first verse (I hope I can get all the syllables in), give you co-writing credits and you'll be rich and famous

If you're fine with it, that's all that matters. laugh

And no co-writing credit, please! I've left all the hard work for you.

For example, I've restructured the first verse to where I think the ideas flow better. But that destroys the rhyme scheme.

So - if you keep that order - you either need to figure out how to move the rhymes, or come up with a different idea that communicates the same sort of thought, and manages to rhyme!

Which is miserably hard for me, because it's hard enough for me to write a cliche in the first place, to say nothing of writing something that's better! (Not that you've written a cliche).

My main consolation is Jimmy Webb agrees that it's hard work, so at least I'm in good company.

Which reminds me - Jimmy Webb wrote "Tunesmith: Inside the Art of Songwriting", which is perhaps one of the best books on songwriting I've ever read, although YMMV. wink
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/10/22 01:09 PM
B.D.Thomas,

Nothing wrong with addressing the vanity embraced by so many in life! Aging gracefully is an art that should be the desire of everyone!

The song sounds really good! Mixed well and the vocal treatment is excellent! This is a super sounding track!

Thanks, Torrey
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/10/22 05:30 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude

Nice! Good message. Lyrics work for me, but I'm certainly not the strongest lyricist here, and I see you have already received good feedback on that aspect.

Music wise I love the way you build the intensity of the track with guitars/drums, then drop it back etc. Great dynamics! Vocal sounds good, delivers the message well.

Really liked the video too, what software do you use if you don't mind my asking? I'm always trying to improve the videos I do.

Overall, really well done, watched a couple of times.

Thank you for listening an your nice feedback, Dave.

The software I've used for the video:
  • Stable Diffusion: it's free, a PITA to get it running locally, but it creates images from text (here: from my lyrics) in a style of your choice.
  • FantaMorph: it is a commercial software that costs from 30 dollars. It does the morphing of the faces pretty well and fast. I already had it, there are many other solutions for this task.
  • Magic Music Visuals: also a commercial software that costs from 45 dollars. It can create visual effects from audio files, and I use it for almost all my videos. Here it is used only to synchronize the video images with the music (slowing down and speeding up the video as needed) and to visualize the "pumping" effect of the bass drum.

Hope this helps smile
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/10/22 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
B.D.,
Neat tune. Good message & good lyrics. Pretty cool things what those vocal synths can do. You did a grand job on making robo girl respect phrasing. Good arrangement. Very clear mix and listens well. In my view does not need Botox. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you Misha for listening and your nice feedback!

Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
P.S. I believe you take critique well... So here is my 2 cents. In recent couple of years I have heard couple of dozen tunes in which vocaloids were used. It starting to sound a bit the "same" as far as voice "characteristics" go. I would try to dust vocals a little with some plugins, like saturation / distortion or some other coloring filters, so it doesn't sound too surgical. I hope it makes sense.

Exactly, I'm here to get critique ... finding my own songs flawless I can do on my own laugh

I agree that songs done with the same vocaloid sound similar, and I've already tried a few things to get a more distinctive sound. But at least for me, Eleanor's voice sounds best when it's clean, so I won't touch that.
But I have other voice databases where it works. As soon as I write a song which suits them, you'll hear it here first...
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/10/22 09:33 PM
I am 100% on board with your message.

The AI voice is amazing.

I love your arrangement.

I would work on condensing the lyrics---say the same thing with fewer words. Does that makes sense?
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/12/22 09:11 AM
Originally Posted By: djames
Hi B.D., really good sound - very modern feel, love the drums and great video as well. Would never have known it was AI vocals, wow!

Cheers,
David

Thanks for listening and your nice feedback, David smile

And I'm glad you (and others) liked the video, making this kind of video was new to me.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/12/22 02:03 PM
If you're fine with it I'll try to change the first verse (I hope I can get all the syllables in), give you co-writing credits and you'll be rich and famous

If you're fine with it, that's all that matters. laugh

And no co-writing credit, please! I've left all the hard work for you.
[...]

Which reminds me - Jimmy Webb wrote "Tunesmith: Inside the Art of Songwriting", which is perhaps one of the best books on songwriting I've ever read, although YMMV. wink

I see... right now I'm working on another song, but as soon as that's done I'll rewrite the lyrics.

And thanks for mentioning the book, until now I've never read a book about songwriting.
Maybe it's time to get some real knowledge smile
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/15/22 03:05 PM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
B.D.Thomas,

Nothing wrong with addressing the vanity embraced by so many in life! Aging gracefully is an art that should be the desire of everyone!

The song sounds really good! Mixed well and the vocal treatment is excellent! This is a super sounding track!

Thanks, Torrey

Thanks for listening and your kind feedback, Torrey.

I like your phrase "aging gracefully is an art" .... I think this phrase will end up in one of my songs sooner or later smile
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Eleanor Lennox: Being Real - 11/15/22 03:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I am 100% on board with your message.

The AI voice is amazing.

I love your arrangement.

I would work on condensing the lyrics---say the same thing with fewer words. Does that makes sense?

Thank you for your nice words, Scott.

It makes perfect sense to say the same thing in fewer words. But I have to admit that it's a bit difficult for me to make it work. As a non-native speaker, I sometimes have trouble even say it at all.
But I'm working on it smile
© PG Music Forums