PG Music Home
I came across this MP3 recording this morning on an older hard drive I was searching for another file. This is my very first BIAB project I completed. I had played with the program, learning my way around but not actually attempted completing a recording.

An older gentleman taking guitar lessons from my friend approached me on my friend's recommendation to help with some songs. He wrote the lyrics and I helped arrange his lyrics in a logical order and also corrected some grammar issues. I wrote the music and arrangement for this co-write of a country gospel song.

A third person, who was stranger to me and I only saw him once, the day he sang the vocals. Both gentlemen are named Larry.

The date of the original MP3 is 2-26-2014.

I didn't save any BIAB info at the time. I didn't save the SGU file. I recall speaking by email with Floyd Jane for his insight because my thought was it's a good song but needed to be re-recorded. He suggested it was ok but I don't recall ever posting it on the User Showcase.

I'm still of the opinion there's several forum members that could greatly improve recording this song. What's your thoughts?

It's Time To Put Jesus First

I thought this was really good, and very well sung. I also liked the spoken break, very effective. It would be great if the choruses had harmonies or background vocals to distinguish them from the verses, but I realize that's often not possible. Otherwise, I think you got a winner here!
Still sounds good to me.
The vocal sits well in the mix.
The tracks are well balanced, a basic "acoustic band" that serves the song as it should.

fj
Charlie,

I'm glad you posted this! It's great to see a BIAB user's early work with the program! It's a great song and message! Enjoyed it!

Thanks, Torrey
Charlie...I agree with Torrey...very well done especially for a first recording with BiaB...the band is perfect for the song and message,,,well sung...well written and produced...thanks for sharing this one. Dan
I think it's a good song with a good arrangement and good vocals. I think the spoken break is/was a great idea.

Does it sound modern? No.
Should it sound more modern? No, because then it would be a completely different song.

Like TuneMonger said, some harmonies would be a great addition, but I'm addicted to harmonies, so no need to worry smile
Production wise there's a lot of sibilance and the vocal sits a little more above the mix.
The vocal sounds like Australian Richard Clapton...particularly his more acoustic stuff C1975.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgRR6FKbCGQ
If you have the vocal track then a little manual de-essing particularly on the "old man whistle" would be good. If you don't have the tracks then I think a tiny, tiny bit of reverb across the master mix mights settle the vocal in just little more.
Charlie you and your friend Larry and your other friend Larry did a fantastic job on this song

A super vocal backed by the perfect backing band

I'm glad that you posted this as it is a great song.
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
I thought this was really good, and very well sung. I also liked the spoken break, very effective. It would be great if the choruses had harmonies or background vocals to distinguish them from the verses, but I realize that's often not possible. Otherwise, I think you got a winner here!

Thanks for stopping by and listening. The spoken bridge was what initially caught my ear too. I don't think harmonies were ever discussed during the recording of this song. I agree that would have added to the production.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Still sounds good to me.
The vocal sits well in the mix.
The tracks are well balanced, a basic "acoustic band" that serves the song as it should.

fj

Thanks. Best I recall, this band would have been 2013 RealTracks.

Hey Charlie,

This sounds really good!

2014 was the year I got my first BIAB! With 32 Real Tracks!!!

smile

Keep 'em coming brother. Love this.
That is so cool that you rediscovered this.
We did our first one in 2012 but doubt it would hold up as well as yours. smile

The write, arrangement, vocal and mix sound fine irrespective of when done.

It’s nice to hear an accent similar to Janice’s. She told me to pay attention to the fact that Larry pronounces “day” the same way she does. smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B
Charlie.

this is a very nice song mate with great vocs.
and its catchy too.

i also really like the spoken word break in it.
'mama etc'. kudos.

imho this should be on commercial radio...seriously.

best

om
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Charlie,

I'm glad you posted this! It's great to see a BIAB user's early work with the program! It's a great song and message! Enjoyed it!

Thanks for listening. This recording was done using a stand-alone Tascam DP-24 digital hard disk recorder using a Behringer B2 Large condenser Mic. Mixing was done using the Tascam.

Thanks, Torrey
Originally Posted By: firesong
Charlie...I agree with Torrey...very well done especially for a first recording with BiaB...the band is perfect for the song and message,,,well sung...well written and produced...thanks for sharing this one. Dan

Thanks. I appreciate your kind comments.

Charlie
Coincidentally, this morning I was thinking about the first time I used BiaB/Real Tracks. After seeing your post I checked. It was Dec 2013.

We must have arrived here at about the same time, Charlie.

I suppose a good many songs could benefit from a new or different perspective, mine included, but how cool to look back on one of your first BiaB productions and collaborations. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing!
Charlie,

There's nothing wrong with a song that was written years ago.
We wouldn't have classical music if that was a problem, wouldn't we?

So, this is a good song, well sung and with beautiful music.

Rob and Anne-Marie
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
I think it's a good song with a good arrangement and good vocals. I think the spoken break is/was a great idea.

Does it sound modern? No.
Should it sound more modern? No, because then it would be a completely different song.

Like TuneMonger said, some harmonies would be a great addition, but I'm addicted to harmonies, so no need to worry smile

Thanks for listening and your generous comments.

Originally Posted By: rayc
Production wise there's a lot of sibilance and the vocal sits a little more above the mix.
The vocal sounds like Australian Richard Clapton...particularly his more acoustic stuff C1975.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgRR6FKbCGQ
If you have the vocal track then a little manual de-essing particularly on the "old man whistle" would be good. If you don't have the tracks then I think a tiny, tiny bit of reverb across the master mix mights settle the vocal in just little more.

I agree. This one was done completely on my digital multi track recorder with little attention to post effects. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment.

Originally Posted By: MarioD
Charlie you and your friend Larry and your other friend Larry did a fantastic job on this song

A super vocal backed by the perfect backing band

I'm glad that you posted this as it is a great song.

I appreciate your kind comments.
I really like it, Charlie. Man, what a good first start with BiaB. Back then I was only making demos and practice tracks, but this is so polished. The two Larrys did well. The music is the real gem. The mix sounds perfect in that each instrument is clear and not overtaking others. You're an inspiration, man. This morning I started redoing an old one, and have it narrowed down to 6 different styles. hehe You made a good song better.
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Hey Charlie,

This sounds really good!

2014 was the year I got my first BIAB! With 32 Real Tracks!!!

smile

Keep 'em coming brother. Love this.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
That is so cool that you rediscovered this.
We did our first one in 2012 but doubt it would hold up as well as yours. smile

The write, arrangement, vocal and mix sound fine irrespective of when done.

It’s nice to hear an accent similar to Janice’s. She told me to pay attention to the fact that Larry pronounces “day” the same way she does. smile

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Thanks. I always look forward to your reaction and comments. Larry, the singer, did have a good voice and unique enunciation. It would be interesting to know where he was from originally. I only interacted with him the one day he recorded these vocals.

Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
Charlie.

this is a very nice song mate with great vocs.
and its catchy too.

i also really like the spoken word break in it.
'mama etc'. kudos.

imho this should be on commercial radio...seriously.

best

om

I appreciate your kind comments. Thanks for listening.
Originally Posted By: olemon
Coincidentally, this morning I was thinking about the first time I used BiaB/Real Tracks. After seeing your post I checked. It was Dec 2013.

We must have arrived here at about the same time, Charlie.

I suppose a good many songs could benefit from a new or different perspective, mine included, but how cool to look back on one of your first BiaB productions and collaborations. I enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing!

It would be fun to update and redo an oldie with all the additional and better RealTracks that are available now but I agree with you, it's really cool to listen to these older tunes. Thanks for listening.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Charlie,

There's nothing wrong with a song that was written years ago.
We wouldn't have classical music if that was a problem, wouldn't we?

So, this is a good song, well sung and with beautiful music.

Rob and Anne-Marie

It's time I quit messing with old stuff and write something new. I've been lazy for a while.
I appreciate your comments.

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
I really like it, Charlie. Man, what a good first start with BiaB. Back then I was only making demos and practice tracks, but this is so polished. The two Larrys did well. The music is the real gem. The mix sounds perfect in that each instrument is clear and not overtaking others. You're an inspiration, man. This morning I started redoing an old one, and have it narrowed down to 6 different styles. hehe You made a good song better.

Good luck with your song and I appreciate you taking time to comment on mine.
Hi Charlie,

What a nice idea to bring an oldie back.
It's a very nice song (melody and vocals). As Ray said, it could use a bit of d-essing, but maybe that's not possible anymore?

I started learning BiaB in 2016. You did it in 2014.
At that time I was crossing with a huge camper through your country, not making any music for some time.

Although I'm not religious I enjoyed your song a lot. As I said, I like the melody and the singing.

Hans
Impressive and very enjoyable first use of Biab, Charlie; with an interesting backstory on its creation.
I agree it would be worth rerecording, so I hope you get pm`s from current forum members!

Robert
Charlie,

Thanks, Torrey

Yep ... what Torrey said.

I do n';t think there's anything wrong with it as is. I don't think you need to change a thing. the spoke part was a very pleasant surprise.

I strated out with version 11.5 in 2011. It;'s come a long way since. But those initial RTs still sound good to my ears!

Thanks for a glimpse back down your musical journey.

Alan
Charlie, this holds up really well considering the time that has passed. My first efforts were not nearly this quality. The vocal is excellent and the song is nicely put together. I like it! Hope you are doing well, Tom
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Charlie,

What a nice idea to bring an oldie back.
It's a very nice song (melody and vocals). As Ray said, it could use a bit of d-essing, but maybe that's not possible anymore?

I started learning BiaB in 2016. You did it in 2014.
At that time I was crossing with a huge camper through your country, not making any music for some time.

Although I'm not religious I enjoyed your song a lot. As I said, I like the melody and the singing.

Hans

Thanks for dropping in for a listen.

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Impressive and very enjoyable first use of Biab, Charlie; with an interesting backstory on its creation.
I agree it would be worth rerecording, so I hope you get pm`s from current forum members!

Robert

Thanks for listening. Yes, there's a lot of talent here on the forum that could do wonders with the song.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Charlie,

Thanks, Torrey

Yep ... what Torrey said.

I do n';t think there's anything wrong with it as is. I don't think you need to change a thing. the spoke part was a very pleasant surprise.

I strated out with version 11.5 in 2011. It;'s come a long way since. But those initial RTs still sound good to my ears!

Thanks for a glimpse back down your musical journey.

Alan

Hi Al. Yes, I just listened to an oldie you re-posted with fabulous vocals from Mrs. Di. Thanks for taking a listen to my song.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Charlie, this holds up really well considering the time that has passed. My first efforts were not nearly this quality. The vocal is excellent and the song is nicely put together. I like it! Hope you are doing well, Tom

I'm doing well. Lol, "She's Evil" is still on my daily playlist. An all-time favorite of mine. Always good to hear from you and always looking forward to your latest post. Thanks for your kind comments.
Charlie, this is really good. It's so neat that you found your first post and then reposted it! Especially for the new guys like me. I echo what a lot of folks have said as far as how good the speaking break was and harmonies might be a good addition. I'm a steel guitar nut, so I like what you've got, but if you wind up making additions you might consider adding an additional lead instrument for some diversity in the sound. Just an idea, I like what you've got already.
Thanks for dropping by, listening and taking time to comment.

As my first project, the instrumentation for the song was me just choosing an existing style and going with it and not doing any instrument additions or replacements the best I recall. I did bring existing instruments in and out throughout the song for some dynamics. That may or may not be correct due to sketchy memory... but the single solo of the pedal steel makes me think that's what I did.

I appreciate your listen.

Charlie
Hi Charlie
Very good song
Such a beautiful melody
And your vocals sound great with it
The background track is also very well done
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Charlie
Very good song
Such a beautiful melody
And your vocals sound great with it
The background track is also very well done
Great work
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks for taking time to listen Andi.
Very good write. Your third person singer did well. I'm glad you shared this old gem.
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
Very good write. Your third person singer did well. I'm glad you shared this old gem.

Thanks. Yes, this is the only recording with BIAB that I didn't personally know the folks I was working with. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Charlie
Hi, Charlie !:))

Wonderful tune, Charlie !
I really do like the tune and
your write is excellent !
The Larrys did well also !

cheers
Dani
Charlie,

Very nice gospel song!
I think that even BIAB at that time had a good arrangement.
However, with the current BIAB's ability, I think it will be an even more polished arrangement.
I think that there are various problems such as vocals, but I definitely recommend a re-production.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Charlie !:))

Wonderful tune, Charlie !
I really do like the tune and
your write is excellent !
The Larrys did well also !

cheers
Dani

Hi Dani. I'm glad to see you stopped for a listen. Hope you're doing well. Thanks for your comments, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Charlie,

Very nice gospel song!
I think that even BIAB at that time had a good arrangement.
However, with the current BIAB's ability, I think it will be an even more polished arrangement.
I think that there are various problems such as vocals, but I definitely recommend a re-production.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Thanks. Yes, this was a fun project from beginning to finish and had a lot of firsts for me and music production. This was my first co-write, I produced the song working in the historic setting of downtown Charleston, SC which set the tone for me to be the same as if I were writing in Greenwich Village, New York City. I worked with a stranger on vocals and it was the first real project with BIAB just to name a few firsts.

I've been hooked on BIAB ever since.

Thanks for listening and your kind comments.
© PG Music Forums