PG Music Home
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/17/22 06:06 PM
Hi everyone I have been using and enjoying Band in a Box for several years now. I have composed this song called: ‘I’d Like to Sing a Song’ in Band in a Box and I finished it off in Cakewalk.
I am using Bygone Style
My RealTracks include:
Dulcimer 3668
Bass 1136
Piano 1791
Drums GypsyJazzSw
Guitar 1210
Guitar 1209
Horn Section 2593 used twice

The Vocal Harmonies were generated in the main window by way of Harmony then Audio Harmony. I choose Harmonize based on Chords with Band in a Box Intelligent Mode. This is the first time I have uploaded a song to PG Music so I hope you will enjoy it.
Regards,
Dermot Mc Mahon

Here is the link to my Song:

https://soundcloud.com/mail-15-5/id-like-to-sing-a-song-1?si=58d74ce15f3b4be4bfbd1cc474b18037&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/17/22 06:30 PM
Hey Dermot, welcome to the forum.
For a 1st uploaded song, this is great. You've demonstrated quite a mastery of BiaB.
And your vocals have an element of Ringo in there, the lyrics would have been nice.
An enjoyable listen for sure. Great job!
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/17/22 06:37 PM
Thank you so much for that encouragement. I must try and post more songs using this great programme..
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/17/22 06:47 PM
Even though it's not the genre I usually listen to, I like your song, it has a nice fifties (or even forties?) vibe, and your voice fits well with that style.
Well done!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/17/22 06:49 PM
Absolutely man, you have talent. And it was refreshing to hear that old style.
I didn't know that BiaB had that style built-in.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/17/22 08:15 PM
You've done a good job with this post. It's well written; An excellent arrangement, performance, and production. Enjoyed.

Charlie
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/17/22 10:11 PM
Hi Dermot,

This is a good song and you have put a lot of work into it.

Vocals sound fine but I would love to hear it with the lead vocals much higher in volume.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/18/22 12:51 AM
Great job, Dermot, this was very entertaining! I agree with Nigel about the vocal. The horns were also busy, but the only solution is to splice up the horn track and that is a rabbit hole you may not want to go down. These are only minor things, you did a great job. I especially was impressed with the harmonies.
Posted By: dcuny Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/18/22 04:06 AM
A very pleasant song!

As TuneMonger said, the horns are bit busy. Sometimes it's simpler to drop some parts out for a verse rather than trying to figure out how to simplify the part. In particular, horns can be hard to balance in a mix.

I enjoyed this - and your singing - for sure! smile
Posted By: Scott C Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/20/22 11:33 PM
Welcome to the forum Dermot. Excellent tune and vocal. Well done
Posted By: firesong Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/21/22 03:01 PM
Dermot...welcome to the forum...great use of BiaB...we don't hear many songs like this...and you did a great job...the vocals and harmonies are excellent and fit the genre so well...the timbre of the recording gave it an old record vibe and again suited the song so well...I really enjoyed it...hope you post more...Dan
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 05:26 PM
Thank you. Yes..the song is bit like the 40's or 50's
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 05:30 PM
Thank you for your kind feedback..
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 05:31 PM
Thank you for your kind feedback..
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 05:33 PM
Thanks Nigel for your feedback..
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 05:35 PM
Thanh you for your feedback. Yes the horns are a bit loud and I used them on two tracks
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 05:38 PM
Thanks for that David. I'm still at the learning stage but I enjoy it so much..
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 05:39 PM
Thanks for that David. I'm still at the learning stage but I enjoy it so much..
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 05:45 PM
Thanks very much Scott.. I hope to post a lot more in the future,,
Posted By: Dermot Eireebykq Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 05:48 PM
Thanks very much Dan for your kind feedback. Actually I used the harmony feature on BIAB which worked great..
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 07:22 PM
welcome .

this isnt my genre but i thought it was grrreat.

loverly old skool song idea.

i like the way it bops along.
very danceable a la the old england dance halls.

happiness

om
Posted By: rayc Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/27/22 08:53 PM
Nice work Dermot,
Classic megaphone crooner style.
there's some harshness to the vocal that could be addressed but it does, perhaps, emphasis the era.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 11/29/22 04:38 PM
Hey there Dermot, welcome aboard! You've gotten off to a great start with this one. I agree with the others as far as bringing up the vocals, and I like the horns, but they're a bit busy. Great vocal and really thought the background vocals were good. Looking forward to hearing more!

Brad
Posted By: vicarn Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 12/01/22 07:02 AM
Hi Dermot.
Yes, you seem to have made a good start with the BIAB toolkit.
I agree with the “Ringo” comparison too.
I think you should have a look at the balance in your mix.
It’s usual when starting with BIAB to use every instrument in the catalogue.
Sometimes they compete with each other and you get porridge.
Think about each instrument and whether they add anything or clash with another one. Think about the tone. If you are mixing on a daw try adding a little EQ and panning to separate them a little to create space in the mix.

Vic
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: A new song by Dermot Mc Mahon - 12/01/22 10:21 AM
WOW, Dermot. Welcome to the forum, and you joined on our granddaughter's 8th birthday. What a great song for a first post, and I am so looking forward to your others. This is surely a wonderful old school tune as you say, and there are countless writers in the past who would have been extremely proud to pen it. You can count me as one in the present who would. I know you must have tried singing this one through a megaphone, right. wink The mix is also reminiscent of old recordings. Thoroughly enjoyed, Dermot.
© PG Music Forums