PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/23/22 10:30 AM
The first pure blues album I ever bought was "King of the Blues Guitar" by Albert King, this was around 1971. Very important album for me, I learned a lot about playing guitar from that record and still cherish it today. One of the songs on that record was Crosscut Saw which featured a Rhumba type drum pattern, very different groove for me at the time.

This one has been in the works for a while, finally got it to the point where I'm happy with it:

Never Enough (audio only)

Never Enough (YouTube Video)

Note: The latest mix is on the audio only link, mostly changes to the vocal. Can't update the mix on youtube without deleting the video and uploading a new one.

The Band:

3991:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm RumbaBluesKevin Ev 120
3985:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm RumbaBluesPat 120

Marty Straub from BabuMusic is on Bass Guitar

I used EZDrummer3 for the drums and percussion and added a few additional guitar tracks. Also did the vocal.

Mixed in Reaper, mastered with Ozone.

Never Enough (2022, Dave Bell)

The world tells me that I'm never enough
They say you're not the real deal, you don't have the right stuff
But I don't care, it's all good
not one thing that I would change, even if I could

Social media, TV; that's two strikes
the value of life, it all depends on the likes
and I have to admit, it has a certain appeal
but at the end of the day, you gotta know,
it ain't real

Fake news, gurus; they just confuse
you write a new song just to read the reviews
but that ain't right. you gotta do it for you
you got to stick to your guns and remain, true blue

Chorus:
Don't believe them when they say, you're never enough
you got it going on, you got the right stuff

All comments welcome!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/23/22 11:29 AM
Man, I really dig how creative you are with 12-bars, Dave. Oh, I remember that album. Had a guitar-playing friend back then who actually tried switching to left-handed because he thought that was the only way to bend notes like Albert. Thanks for letting play on it, although the BiaB guy was truly somewhat better.
Posted By: Scott C Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/23/22 11:47 PM
Boy did I like the groove to this song. So much cool stuff going on. Super vocal and guitar work Dave. Marty awesome basslines.. I also was a big fan of Albert King. Loved the sesson he did with Stevie Ray Vaughn.
Posted By: rayc Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/24/22 01:52 AM
A very mid era Clapton vocal...mellow and succinct.
That bass player knows how to shuffle around a rhumba very nicely.
Ace track.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/24/22 09:05 AM
No worries Dave, you are definitely the real deal! Love the rhumba feel. I was lucky enough to see all three Kings in the 70’s. Albert was amazing. I don’t know what he was smoking in that pipe but that Flying V sure was smoking. Good bass lines Marty. You have great feel. I enjoyed the lyrics as well as the stellar guitar work. Tom
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/25/22 07:39 AM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Man, I really dig how creative you are with 12-bars, Dave. Oh, I remember that album. Had a guitar-playing friend back then who actually tried switching to left-handed because he thought that was the only way to bend notes like Albert. Thanks for letting play on it, although the BiaB guy was truly somewhat better.

I think it was not so much playing left-handed that gave Albert his unique bends, it was that he had his guitar strung upside down, with the high "E" on top. So for most of the bends you would be pulling down instead of pushing up.

As far as the bass goes, I like what you did much better than the BIAB guy, I found him to be annoying actually wink

Thanks, brother!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/25/22 08:30 AM
Unusual groove in a very positive way, I like the vibe of your song.
Great job by all involved!
Personally, I would raise the vocals by a dB or three.
Posted By: PeterF Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/25/22 05:35 PM
Dave

Really nice work. Marty fits like a glove and the vocal is nicely relaxed and engaging.

As always excellent guitar playing.

Good stuff all round.

Peter
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/26/22 07:54 AM
Hi Dave and Marty
Well done song
Has a very good quality
And your voice fits very well Dave
Great collaboration
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/26/22 09:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Boy did I like the groove to this song. So much cool stuff going on. Super vocal and guitar work Dave. Marty awesome basslines.. I also was a big fan of Albert King. Loved the sesson he did with Stevie Ray Vaughn.

That show, "In Session", was based out of Hamilton, ON, very close to where I lived at the time back in the mid 80's. In addition to the Albert King/SRV session there was one with B.B. King and Larry Carlton, and one with Dr. John and Johnny Winter. Lots of others too, but those three were my favorites.

Thanks, Scott!

Originally Posted By: rayc
A very mid era Clapton vocal...mellow and succinct.
That bass player knows how to shuffle around a rhumba very nicely.
Ace track.

That's about as good as it gets from me, Ray, I'll never have the chops to be able to belt out a vocal wink Yeah, Marty is the real deal, no doubt about that!

Thanks for the listen and comments.

Posted By: firesong Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/26/22 02:45 PM
Dave...very cool indeed! love the rumba perc...super vocal (wish it were a bit louder in the mix)...man, you and Marty sure know how to rock a tune...your guitar work is top of the line and Marty's bass work is so tight in the groove...I am a great admirer of your work!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/26/22 06:32 PM
WOW, your three have hit a home run with this one

Loved the groove, leads, vocal, and bass

Perfect mix

I have three Albert King albums that I will now have to get out and play
Posted By: dani48 Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/26/22 06:39 PM
Hi Dave & Co !

The best I´ve heard from you
that´s for sure !
Everything sounded right, so right
I just loved it !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/27/22 01:38 AM
Love dat rhumba groove, gets folks out of their seat and onto the dance floor at the blues club. Guitar slayed. Fine work all the way around.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/27/22 06:20 AM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
No worries Dave, you are definitely the real deal! Love the rhumba feel. I was lucky enough to see all three Kings in the 70’s. Albert was amazing. I don’t know what he was smoking in that pipe but that Flying V sure was smoking. Good bass lines Marty. You have great feel. I enjoyed the lyrics as well as the stellar guitar work. Tom

Hey Tom,

I saw B.B. a couple of times, but never got to see Albert or Freddie. All three of them great players, each with an easily recognizable style. Something to strive for I think, I find many players these days all sound the same.

Thanks for the listen and comments!

Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Unusual groove in a very positive way, I like the vibe of your song.
Great job by all involved!
Personally, I would raise the vocals by a dB or three.

Hi B.D.,

Thanks for checking out the song, and happy you liked it! And yeah, you are right about the vocal, I've since bumped it up a little.
Marty actually told me that when he first heard the mix, should have listened to him wink
Posted By: Birchwood Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/27/22 07:56 AM
Hi Dave and Marty,

Ah, the good old '70s...
A very nice song that brought back the memories.
Your vocals always let me think of JJ. Gale.

I listened to both versions; on YouTube and SoundCloud.
They both sounded good to me.

Enjoyed them a lot,
Hans

Posted By: vicarn Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/27/22 08:41 AM
I also thought, JJ Cale.
Good bass from Marty.
Vocal needs more vol.
Well did.

Vic
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/28/22 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Dave

Really nice work. Marty fits like a glove and the vocal is nicely relaxed and engaging.

As always excellent guitar playing.

Good stuff all round.

Peter

Really appreciate that, Peter, thanks!

Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hi Dave and Marty
Well done song
Has a very good quality
And your voice fits very well Dave
Great collaboration
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

Thanks, Andi. Looking forward to your new one!

Originally Posted By: firesong
Dave...very cool indeed! love the rumba perc...super vocal (wish it were a bit louder in the mix)...man, you and Marty sure know how to rock a tune...your guitar work is top of the line and Marty's bass work is so tight in the groove...I am a great admirer of your work!

I've bumped the vocal up a bit, Dan. I'll revisit again later with fresh ears and see if I can tweak it more. Thanks for the kind words!
Posted By: RnAM Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/28/22 06:48 PM
Wow... those guitars!
Great stuff, really like it.
Awesome music and vocals.

Anne-Marie
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/29/22 07:37 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
WOW, your three have hit a home run with this one

Loved the groove, leads, vocal, and bass

Perfect mix

I have three Albert King albums that I will now have to get out and play

Doesn't get old for me, Mario, I love listening to the blues guys from that era the best. Thanks for the kind words!

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi Dave & Co !

The best I´ve heard from you
that´s for sure !
Everything sounded right, so right
I just loved it !

Cheers
Dani

Well, maybe the best with me on vocal anyway wink Anything with Chris on vocal will be better.

Thanks, Dani!

Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Love dat rhumba groove, gets folks out of their seat and onto the dance floor at the blues club. Guitar slayed. Fine work all the way around.

Yeah, it's a fun groove for sure. Thanks for the listen and comments!
Posted By: Greg Johnson Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/29/22 09:29 PM
Cool old bluesy number!!! Thought of Creedence with that opening riff (and a bit of the solo)!!! Great sounding track and a cool vocal Dave!! You guys always sound great!!!
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 11/30/22 08:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Birchwood
Hi Dave and Marty,

Ah, the good old '70s...
A very nice song that brought back the memories.
Your vocals always let me think of JJ. Gale.

I listened to both versions; on YouTube and SoundCloud.
They both sounded good to me.

Enjoyed them a lot,
Hans

Thanks for checking out both versions, Hans, I appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: vicarn
I also thought, JJ Cale.
Good bass from Marty.
Vocal needs more vol.
Well did.

Vic

I'm a huge J.J Cale fan, so I'll take that!

Thanks, Vic.

Originally Posted By: RnAM
Wow... those guitars!
Great stuff, really like it.
Awesome music and vocals.

Anne-Marie

Thanks for stopping by, Anne-Marie!
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 12/02/22 03:06 PM
Dave - great song! I'm with Greg, I thought it was CCR you had backing you when that first guitar came in - and I like CCR. I liked the writing and idea for the song, and the music was super cool. Loved the guitars - and Marty's bass was extra icing on the cake!

Brad
Posted By: jannesan Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 12/02/22 03:30 PM
'Born On The Bayou' type of intro brings instantly smile. The message is important to remember, do it for you, good to have another similar after Marty's Start At The Stars.

Very good band, nice rhythm and drums sound perfect in the mix, enjoyable guitar and bass playing. You got the right stuff smile

Nice frog in the video smile

Janne
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 12/02/22 05:41 PM
As you know, we love the rhumba blues and this sounds awesome!

Bud being older than most here can claim his first blues album was B.B. in the late 60's smile

You wrote a fine lyric/melody and, man, it was well supported by your and Marty’s performances.

And the vid was most supportive of the vibe and lyric.

Love that groove!

J&B
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 12/03/22 09:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Cool old bluesy number!!! Thought of Creedence with that opening riff (and a bit of the solo)!!! Great sounding track and a cool vocal Dave!! You guys always sound great!!!

Appreciate that, thanks, Greg! I see you have a new one up, I'll be over to have a listen soon.

Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Dave - great song! I'm with Greg, I thought it was CCR you had backing you when that first guitar came in - and I like CCR. I liked the writing and idea for the song, and the music was super cool. Loved the guitars - and Marty's bass was extra icing on the cake!

Brad

Hi Brad, yeah, I listened to a lot of CCR back in the day, I like them too. Played a few of their tune in a cover band I has in many years ago. Thanks for the kind words! Time for a new one from you I think wink

Originally Posted By: jannesan
'Born On The Bayou' type of intro brings instantly smile. The message is important to remember, do it for you, good to have another similar after Marty's Start At The Stars.

Very good band, nice rhythm and drums sound perfect in the mix, enjoyable guitar and bass playing. You got the right stuff smile

Nice frog in the video smile

Janne

Yeah, funny that Marty and I both had songs with a similar message at the same time. And yeah, I'm a fan of the frog too, make me smile whenever I see it smile

Thanks, Janne!

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
As you know, we love the rhumba blues and this sounds awesome!

Bud being older than most here can claim his first blues album was B.B. in the late 60's smile

You wrote a fine lyric/melody and, man, it was well supported by your and Marty’s performances.

And the vid was most supportive of the vibe and lyric.

Love that groove!

J&B

My first B.B. album was B.B. King in London, also would have been early 70's. He was backed up by some of the British blues guys, I think Peter Green was one, and I think Ringo was on a cut too.

Thanks for the support and kind words, Bud, very much appreciated!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 12/06/22 12:31 PM
Dave,

That opening has a great CCR sound - loved it!
Good Bass!
Good Drums...
Excellent lead - Melodic, subtle
(I like the little scratchy sound during the lead)
Love the ending
A good thought provoking write
Well sung
Good mix

fj
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Never Enough (Blues Rhumba) - 12/12/22 04:40 PM
Dave,

"but at the end of the day, you gotta know,
it ain't real" You got that right brother!

This is some might fine stuff! You're playing some killer stuff in this! Marty is so good also!

Take care, T
© PG Music Forums