PG Music Home
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Increasing Insanity - 12/03/22 09:38 AM
Title: Lennox & Lennox: Increasing Insanity

Link: Lennox & Lennox: Increasing Insanity

SoundCloud link:
https://soundcloud.com/eleanorlennox/increasing-insanity

A song about someone who is afraid of going crazy, and probably already is.

This is kind of a tribute to an Irish/Dublin band with a very short name that is/was very famous in the 80s and 90s.
I know their guitar style was polarizing back then, you either love (like I do) it or hate it.
I wanted to try something new and outside my "normal" comfort zone, maybe you like it.

Feedback, good or bad, is greatly appreciated!

Some trivia you might not be interested in:

• Insanity is a relative state of mind: if everyone but you is insane, wouldn't THEY call YOU insane?
  • The world is getting crazier and crazier. Should you accept it or fight it? And why?
  • Robin Thicke lost a couple of million dollars in a lawsuit against Marvin Gaye's family because his song "Blurred Lines" uses the same "feel" and "sound" as Gaye's "Got to Give It Up."
    That's the reason I did NOT mention the Irish band's name above. Crazy, isn't it?
  • I decided to make a crazy video. If you have problems with flashing images, you better wear sunglasses while listening to my song

Special thanks (again) to Marty for proofreading the text and the encouraging words. The beer's on me!

Some technical information:
Styles: _ACUSHLA.STY

The band:
Drums: PraiseWorshipUptempo16
Bass: 1268 (re-amped)
Guitars: 3636, 3637, 3638, 3642 and 3642 re-amped
Vocals: Natalie Lennox with BG vocals from Eleanor and Weina.

You will find the lyrics in the next posting.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/03/22 09:44 AM
Titel: Lennox & Lennox: Increasing Insanity

Verse:
I am so dark and lonely
I wish I could find some light
to show me the way

I want to try to escape
but I'm stuck here in the night
I'm lost in my own little world
little world

I am feeling so helpless
I just want to scream and shout
But no one can hear me cry
can hear me cry

Chorus:
I fear my brain is going insane
I am in the wrong place
And I can't find my way out
my way back

Even I can't explain the things I do
I'm spinning out of control
I'm trapped in the endless night, inside

Bridge:
Please someone get me out of here
this is not my world (not my world)

Free my mind from this prison cage
Let me fly away, away

Chorus:
I fear my mind is going insane
I am in the wrong place
And I can't find my way out
my way back

Even I can't explain the things I do
I'm spinning out of control
I'm trapped in the endless night, inside
inside...
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/03/22 10:13 AM
Certainly sounds like something that would fit right in on an album from that Irish band with the short name wink Guitars especially.

Mix sounds great, listened through both the studio monitors and the 'phones.

Enjoyed!
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/03/22 10:14 AM
Wow, BD, your definition of "insanity" is much more in-depth than that "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results one." That being said, this song is crazy good. The video is absolutely awesome. Never mind that the subject matter is something I've always studied, your lyrics and video grab my attention and keep it prisoner. The feel is familiar, or am I crazy?* Natalie's voice is just perfect for this. Excellent choice. Any Belgian beer would be fine, unless you literally meant the beer is on you. If that's the case, make it Bud.

*if you're sued, give me a week to pass the bar and I'll take the case.
Posted By: tommyad Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/03/22 11:50 AM
BD, I really liked this. The mix is excellent. The vocals couldn't be much better. The production is fantastic, Nicely done, Tom
Posted By: vicarn Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/03/22 12:27 PM
Excellent B.D.
This has polish.

My band toured with a well-known Irish band in the '60's.
I'm sure they were insane too but didn't know it.

Vic
Posted By: firesong Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/03/22 04:30 PM
Brian...great production...can you copyright a style of music or a guitar riff? that sounds insane to me...I remember in collage we studied "On Being Sane in Insane Places" the premise being...if you were incarcerated in an insane asylum every sane reaction to your environment or attempt to escape would appear to prove your insanity!...the song is so well done and probably only an AI (like Natalie) can fully appreciate dealing with insane people smile
Posted By: Derochet Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/04/22 08:12 AM
Hi B.D. Thomas,

This is a very well done composition. The mix is ​​impeccable and the melody is very pleasant. I enjoyed the music and video set.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: PROJECT M Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/04/22 02:49 PM
Hello B.D.
WOW !!!
Absolutely awesome song/video combination
I watched the video on my beamer and turned up the volume.
Absolutely brilliant
An excellent work
both thumbs up
Many greetings
Andi ;-)
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/04/22 04:25 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Certainly sounds like something that would fit right in on an album from that Irish band with the short name wink Guitars especially.

Enjoyed!

Thank you Dave for your nice comment and for taking the time to check the mix with the monitors and headphones.
I appreciate it very much!
Posted By: TuneMonger Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/04/22 08:30 PM
Great song, whatever help you're getting, continue down that path! I thought more of The Cranberries on this. (Don't worry, they won't sue you). Best I've heard from you, way to go!
Posted By: rayc Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/04/22 08:43 PM
Cool song, I only watched the vid for a few moments..I found the goth/bloodied/girl thing a little to shallow given the text so concentrated on the sounds.
The short named Irish rock band become pompous commentator on all things & a memoir is a good connection...particularly to the earlier ROCK era before they found the ballad bug under the crucified succulent.
All that aside - the synth vox are REALLY good...obvious they lack some of the emotion the lyric suggests but a calm observation is also an effective tool.
The band is cool..the delays seemed a little off during the intro but once the song really kicked off everything was in the early 80s pocket.
Cool stuff.
Well done.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/05/22 06:44 AM
Like Ray, I skipped the video and just listened.

As others noted the "production" is stellar, and the vocals are excellent.

No "maybe" about it - I really liked this! laugh
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/05/22 02:51 PM
Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
Wow, BD, your definition of "insanity" is much more in-depth than that "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results one." That being said, this song is crazy good. The video is absolutely awesome. Never mind that the subject matter is something I've always studied, your lyrics and video grab my attention and keep it prisoner. The feel is familiar, or am I crazy?* Natalie's voice is just perfect for this. Excellent choice. Any Belgian beer would be fine, unless you literally meant the beer is on you. If that's the case, make it Bud.

*if you're sued, give me a week to pass the bar and I'll take the case.

Thanks for listening (again) and the positive feedback, Marty!

Originally Posted By: BabuMusic
...Any Belgian beer would be fine...

A man with great taste grin
Posted By: Chris37 Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/05/22 03:17 PM
From beginning to end, it sounds like a professional song.
Kudos to you!
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/05/22 06:21 PM
BD,

This is SO good. Great sounding track. Well mixed.
Excellent job creating that guitar sound.
Vocals have a cool "detached" feeling/sound that works well.
A very interesting write.

I like it. A lot.
Good Music.

fj
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/05/22 08:53 PM
Damn!!!!

Ditto on what tommyad said, exactly!

One of, if not the best I've heard here.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/05/22 09:23 PM
Another ditto on what Tommy said

Super groove, vocal (wow on that) and mix
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/06/22 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
BD, I really liked this. The mix is excellent. The vocals couldn't be much better. The production is fantastic, Nicely done, Tom

Thanks Tom for the nice comment, especially about the vocals, as Natalie sang lead vocals for the first time.
I think we will hear her again smile
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/06/22 05:54 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Excellent B.D.
This has polish.

My band toured with a well-known Irish band in the '60's.
I'm sure they were insane too but didn't know it.

Vic

60s? The Dubliners I guess...
Thank you for your nice comment, Vic. Very appreciated!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/06/22 06:04 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
Brian...great production...can you copyright a style of music or a guitar riff? that sounds insane to me...

In the U.S. of A. , unfortunately, this is possible. I remember that Taylor Swift, when asked what it takes to become a pop star, replied: "a good lawyer".

Originally Posted By: firesong
I remember in collage we studied "On Being Sane in Insane Places" the premise being...if you were incarcerated in an insane asylum every sane reaction to your environment or attempt to escape would appear to prove your insanity!...the song is so well done and probably only an AI (like Natalie) can fully appreciate dealing with insane people smile

I like this kind of thought experiments a lot smile

Thank you for your nice comment, Dan!
Posted By: jannesan Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/07/22 02:22 PM
Soundwise reminds me of that certain Irish band with a short name, but also like mentioned above, another Irish band The Cranberries and Natalie sounds eerily like their singer Dolores O'Riordan reborn - I listened their song Linger after your song...
Dark lyrics handled with a light pop feel, interesting combination and you have made it work. "I'm lost in my own little world", I know that feeling wink
Good structure, enjoyed the band and the mix.
Excellent work with Natalie, sounding very real and intimate. I'm yet to try her as the lead singer...

Janne
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/08/22 10:07 AM
Originally Posted By: Derochet
Hi B.D. Thomas,

This is a very well done composition. The mix is ​​impeccable and the melody is very pleasant. I enjoyed the music and video set.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thank you, Derochette, for the entry and your nice feedback about the music and the video!

PS: your profile shows just 2 postings...did you create a new profile with the same name?
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/08/22 10:09 AM
Originally Posted By: PROJECT M
Hello B.D.
WOW !!!
Absolutely awesome song/video combination
I watched the video on my beamer and turned up the volume.
Absolutely brilliant
An excellent work
both thumbs up
Many greetings
Andi ;-)

I've never seen the video on a projector (or a big screen TV), but it's always a good idea to turn up the volume grin

Thanks so much for your nice feedback, Andi. I always appreciate it!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/08/22 10:19 AM
Originally Posted By: TuneMonger
Great song, whatever help you're getting, continue down that path! I thought more of The Cranberries on this. (Don't worry, they won't sue you). Best I've heard from you, way to go!

Thanks, Rob, for your positive comment, which I really appreciate.

Lately my stuff is often compared to the Cranberries (a compliment I gladly accept smile ), I think it's because I have a similar way of doing vocal harmonies.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/09/22 11:39 AM
Originally Posted By: rayc
Cool song, I only watched the vid for a few moments..I found the goth/bloodied/girl thing a little to shallow given the text so concentrated on the sounds.
The short named Irish rock band become pompous commentator on all things & a memoir is a good connection...particularly to the earlier ROCK era before they found the ballad bug under the crucified succulent.
All that aside - the synth vox are REALLY good...obvious they lack some of the emotion the lyric suggests but a calm observation is also an effective tool.
The band is cool..the delays seemed a little off during the intro but once the song really kicked off everything was in the early 80s pocket.
Cool stuff.
Well done.

Thank you so much Ray for taking the time to listen to it and give your detailed review, I really appreciate it.
And of course I'm very glad you like the vocals. It's the first time Natalie sang the lead vocals.
Most probably not the last time smile
Posted By: Robertkc Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/09/22 05:59 PM
B.D.,
It wasn`t `til I read the notes after listening that I realised the lead vox is a synth voice- its lovely in an ethereal-with-attitude way!
Yes, I can hear the giveaway style of that band but your lyrics are deeper and more interesting than theirs and the soft edge of the "voice" makes the whole less in your face and conveys some sadness you wouldn`t expect.
Really fine work.

Robert
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/10/22 04:45 PM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Like Ray, I skipped the video and just listened.

As others noted the "production" is stellar, and the vocals are excellent.

No "maybe" about it - I really liked this! laugh

Glad you like it, David. The video isn't that important anyway, after all, it's all about the music.

And thanks for bringing Natalie to my attention. Once you get to know her quirks, she's a great singer.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/10/22 08:48 PM
I've always like the sound of that not named Irish band.

I like what you've done here with the guitars and the melody.

Synth vocal sounds great. I'm getting old because it's getting harder for me to tell the difference.

I enjoyed the song immensely.
Posted By: RnAM Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/11/22 10:53 AM
Wow.
Great song.
Awesome music and vocals!
Well done!

Rob and Anne-Marie
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/11/22 04:05 PM
Really good song B.D., and the production is top notch. Very 80's/90's vibe and it worked well.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/11/22 04:15 PM
Really good song B.D., and the production is top notch. Very 80's/90's vibe and it worked well.
Posted By: Derochette Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/11/22 05:12 PM
Hi B.D. Thomas,

Personally I appreciate. It's very emotionally gripping. The orchestration is perfect for me and the whole is pleasing. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/11/22 07:03 PM
B.D.,

Love the sound of this one out of the gate—very 80’s feel, which brings me back. The vocal is lovely and sits really well in the mix; the production overall is excellent. Really like what you’ve done with the BGVs. Great video work as well. Impressive!

All my best to you,

Deej
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/12/22 09:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Chris37
From beginning to end, it sounds like a professional song.
Kudos to you!

Thank you for listening and your nice comment, Chris smile
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/12/22 09:25 AM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
BD,

This is SO good. Great sounding track. Well mixed.
Excellent job creating that guitar sound.
Vocals have a cool "detached" feeling/sound that works well.
A very interesting write.

I like it. A lot.
Good Music.

fj

Thanks for listening and your always very valuable feedback, Floyd.
Much appreciated
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/12/22 09:15 PM

Yeah, this is a really cool song and super catchy video.

Your productions are always over the top and I can always tell you put a lot of work into them.

This has a punchy, well-mixed pop sound.

Are you ever going to sing for us one day or is Eleanor (or whatever her name is) always going to do that??

smile
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/13/22 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Damn!!!!

Ditto on what tommyad said, exactly!

One of, if not the best I've heard here.

Thank you for listening and your really nice comment, Herb. Very appreciated.

BTW, the link to your homepage doesn't work anymore, www.herbhartley.com seems to be down.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/13/22 03:58 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Another ditto on what Tommy said

Super groove, vocal (wow on that) and mix

Thank you Mario for listening and your nice comment smile
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/14/22 04:58 PM
Your tribute certainly reminded us of “that band.” smile

Eleanor once again does a fine job and your lyric, band and production are all cooking!
Your magic with the Eleanor continues to amaze.

As always your vid well supported the tune.

Well done!

J&B

PS. We did wear sunglasses while watching the vid.
PPS. That was a very popular band ... we bet U like them 2.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/15/22 09:13 AM
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Dark lyrics handled with a light pop feel, interesting combination and you have made it work. "I'm lost in my own little world", I know that feeling wink
Good structure, enjoyed the band and the mix.
Excellent work with Natalie, sounding very real and intimate. I'm yet to try her as the lead singer...
Janne

Thank you, Janne, for taking the time to listen and for your kind feedback.

Originally Posted By: jannesan
Soundwise reminds me of that certain Irish band with a short name, but also like mentioned above, another Irish band The Cranberries and Natalie sounds eerily like their singer Dolores O'Riordan reborn - I listened their song Linger after your song...

Man, I completely forgot about 'Linger'.... I don't think I've heard this song in over 10 years.... it's not often played on the radio here.
Thanks for bringing the song to my attention again, Janne!

Since most of my songs with vocals are sooner or later compared to Dolores O'Riordan, I took the time to do
The ultimate test:
  • I bought the Karaoke version of 'Linger'.
  • I created a vocal track with the female vocaloids I own (Eleanor, Natalie, Weina and Solaria)
  • I listened a lot

My highly unscientific results:
  • the voice that sounds most like Dolores is Eleanor
  • the voice that sounds closest to Dolores' expression(!) is Natalie
  • a HUGE part of Dolores' sound are the background vocals (mostly from Eleanor and Solaria), even without her Irish background I seem to find very similar harmonies.
    It's not a conscious decision, I just sing along and the harmonies are there.

So if you (or dcuny) want to write a Cranberries song, the above is the recipe grin

Posted By: Rustyspoon# Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/15/22 10:56 AM
B.D.
Yep, I can hear influence of that Irish band. Excellent job of putting this together. Interesting subject and good effort on robo girl vocals. Fantastic - radio quality mix. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. Funny thing is that in the past couple of month I re-listened a lot of earlier stuff of that Irish band that I have not heard in years. They had some pretty revolutionary sound for that time.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/16/22 07:38 PM
Brian,

That is a professional sounding production! Everything is mixed great and the work with the vocals is really good! Your treatment of the realtracks really serve to support the vocals well! It's a high quality track!

Thanks, T
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/18/22 05:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
B.D.,
It wasn`t `til I read the notes after listening that I realised the lead vox is a synth voice- its lovely in an ethereal-with-attitude way!
Yes, I can hear the giveaway style of that band but your lyrics are deeper and more interesting than theirs and the soft edge of the "voice" makes the whole less in your face and conveys some sadness you wouldn`t expect.
Really fine work.

Robert

Thanks for listening and for your feedback, Robert.

And special thanks for the positive feedback on the lyrics!
I still struggle the most with the lyrics, but that's the price you pay when you don't write in your native language.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/18/22 06:03 AM
Originally Posted By: sergedest_6

A bot that copies existing posts and adds a hidden URL.
Bad bot tired
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/18/22 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm
I've always like the sound of that not named Irish band.

I like what you've done here with the guitars and the melody.

Synth vocal sounds great. I'm getting old because it's getting harder for me to tell the difference.

I enjoyed the song immensely.

Thanks listening and your feedback, Scott.

And I can assure you that it's not a matter of age, the Vocaloids are really good these days.

Unfunny fact: I recently played one of my songs to 15 year olds and they said the vocals didn't sound natural.... being the engineer that I am, I upped some of the vocals by half a semitone or more, put some Autotune on it, and played the song again the other day.

Result: approved by Generation Z crazy
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/20/22 09:12 AM
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Wow.
Great song.
Awesome music and vocals!
Well done!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thank you for listening and your nice comment, Rob and Anne-Marie.
Very appreciated smile
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/20/22 11:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams

Thank you for your positive feedback, Dan smile
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/23/22 10:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Derochette
Hi B.D. Thomas,

Personally I appreciate. It's very emotionally gripping. The orchestration is perfect for me and the whole is pleasing. Well done.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Thank you for listening and your nice feedback, Derochette smile
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/23/22 10:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Deej56
B.D.,

Love the sound of this one out of the gate—very 80’s feel, which brings me back. The vocal is lovely and sits really well in the mix; the production overall is excellent. Really like what you’ve done with the BGVs. Great video work as well. Impressive!

All my best to you,

Deej

Glad you like the video as well. Thanks a lot for your time and feedback, Deej!
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/23/22 10:45 AM
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

Yeah, this is a really cool song and super catchy video.

Your productions are always over the top and I can always tell you put a lot of work into them.

This has a punchy, well-mixed pop sound.

Hi David, thanks for listening and your feedback, which I always appreciate.
Actually, the mix is the part I spend the least amount of time in. PG's RealTracks are so good (compared to, say, ALL the local bands I mixed 10 years ago) that not much work is needed.
I still spend most of my time on the lyrics..

Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Are you ever going to sing for us one day or is Eleanor (or whatever her name is) always going to do that??
smile

That I sing is unlikely, but not completely impossible. The problem is that I don't like my (recorded) voice at all and I have a terrible accent that I can't get rid of.
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/24/22 08:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Your tribute certainly reminded us of “that band.” smile

Eleanor once again does a fine job and your lyric, band and production are all cooking!
Your magic with the Eleanor continues to amaze.

As always your vid well supported the tune.

Well done!

J&B

PS. We did wear sunglasses while watching the vid.

Thanks for listening and your detailed feedback, J&B. Very appreciated.

Quote:
PPS. That was a very popular band ... we bet U like them 2.

The working title for the song was 'I love you, too', but I couldn't fit that into the lyrics grin
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/24/22 08:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
B.D.
Yep, I can hear influence of that Irish band. Excellent job of putting this together. Interesting subject and good effort on robo girl vocals. Fantastic - radio quality mix. Thank you for sharing.
Misha.

P.S. Funny thing is that in the past couple of month I re-listened a lot of earlier stuff of that Irish band that I have not heard in years. They had some pretty revolutionary sound for that time.

Thank you for your nice feedback, Misha.

And I agree 100%, they had a very fresh and new sound when they came out. For whatever reason it was later dismissed as "too simplistic".
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Increasing Insanity - 12/24/22 08:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
Brian,

That is a professional sounding production! Everything is mixed great and the work with the vocals is really good! Your treatment of the realtracks really serve to support the vocals well! It's a high quality track!

Thanks, T

Thank you, Torrey, for your positive feedback, especially about the production side (which is often underappreciated).
© PG Music Forums