PG Music Home
Posted By: Phil Babylon Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/15/23 07:00 AM
Christmas Crackers - a theatre song

https://soundcloud.com/phil-sculthorpe/xmas-crackers-intro-song

It seems an age since I posted anything here. Tbh, I thought hard before posting this. There is such a lot of talent on this Forum and I really don't write 'proper' songs anymore. But, I guess, this does highlight how BIAB can be used for all sorts of musical endeavours.

These days I mostly act, rather than sing. But I have a a sideline in doing music, songs and sfx for small-scale theatre shows. Sometimes I'm lucky and there are real musicians to play the stuff, but often the shows are so small-scale they need pre-recorded tracks.

That's when I turn to BIAB. I'm often give the brief from the Director, 'I want something that sounds like xxxx artist/type of music' and - working ususally to very short timescales - I appreciate BIAB's big range of pre-made styles which generally give me a starting point. I envy other people's ability to slice and dice realtracks to create new 'bands'.

This is the Intro song to a show called 'Christmas Crackers' - a mad-cap comedy about the festive season. The Director wanted an 'anti-Christmas short song, that sets the mood for the silliness of the show'.

I used _KITCHEN.sty. With a few additions from various horns and squeaky things that I keep in the studio for SFX. I think there's a giggle toy in there too, that I borrowed off my granddaughter!
Posted By: rayc Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/15/23 08:07 AM
Decidedly Eric Idlesque.
I enjoyed what I heard. I'll return tomorrow to listen with decent speakers.
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/15/23 04:37 PM
That was funny! I thought it was a great write and hits the mark on what was requested of you. The squeaks and things added a lot IMHO.
Posted By: nevnbron Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/15/23 04:59 PM
A bit of 'skiffle' a bit of 'music hall' and pure theatre - it might be a little song but nonetheless very well done -
Posted By: dcuny Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/15/23 09:19 PM
Fun song - enjoyed it a lot! laugh
Posted By: Rob4580 Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/15/23 10:31 PM
Great effort on this. Lotsa fun. All the best. Rob4580
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/15/23 11:47 PM
There is a skit by the "Royal Canadien Mounties" done at the Concert for George; kind of a Monty Python thing. I'm going by memory but I think Tom Hanks was amoung them. Anyway, this took me back to that concert; very creative and a jolly, jolly listen.
Posted By: rayc Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/16/23 03:07 AM
The mix and levels are exactly what a musical would require...a voice & text carried by an appropriate backing.
My only suggestion would be to add a little more bottom end across the mix as it lacks that.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/16/23 12:15 PM
Well done, Phil.

A quality write. Nice production. Well sung!

Always nice to see you drop in again...

fj
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/16/23 12:55 PM
I like it a lot, it definitely has a strong Monthy Python vibe.
I'd also prefer a bit more bottom end.
Posted By: Phil Babylon Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/16/23 03:42 PM
Cheers!
Posted By: Phil Babylon Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/16/23 03:43 PM
Thanks muchly!
Posted By: Phil Babylon Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/16/23 03:44 PM
Posted By: Phil Babylon Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/16/23 03:51 PM
Thanks. A positive note from such good songwriter as yourself is very welcome. Let’s hope Thursday night’s first night audience like it too!
Posted By: Phil Babylon Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/16/23 03:55 PM
Hi. You’re probably right about the bottom end. I can’t pretend it’s a deliberate mixing decision. However, last few years I’ve got so used to hearing my stuff played through clapped-out, muddy speakers (that the venues can’t afford to upgrade) that I’m sure I do unconsciously tone down the bottom end! Cheers for the note.
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: Post - Xmas Crackers - 01/28/23 12:02 PM
from a london bloke.

this was a hoot mate.

loved it.

give my regards to blighty.

om
© PG Music Forums