PG Music Home
Posted By: Brad Williams Messiah - 01/19/23 04:33 PM
I wanted to start the year with a worship/praise song. It's just a simple one, but it's in a brand new style for me. I don't even know what style to call it. I originally attempted to write the song with a jazz feel, but not sure that's what I accomplished. If anybody knows what style to call it, please fill me in. Also, since it's a brand new style for me, I'm unsure of the mix and arrangements - so if you decide to give it a listen, please feel free to comment and critique.

Messiah

Messiah, I lift you higher and praise your holy name.
‘Cause you came, and you forgave, and you saved and set me free.

Oh Messiah, you are the Lord. You are the one I’m living for.
Oh Messiah, you are my king and your kingdom reigns forevermore.

Messiah, I’ll never tire of lifting you in praise.
‘Cause you died, and rose again, then you took my sin from me.

Messiah, you are my king, and your kingdom reigns forevermore.
Oh Messiah.

Messiah, you are my king, and your kingdom reigns forevermore.
Oh Messiah. Messiah. Oh Messiah. Messiah. Oh messiah.

The band: (all Biab)

Drums: Multi (un-named), _CHARLOT.STY
Bass: Mark Hill, _CHARLOT.STY
Electric Piano: Jeff Lorber, _CHARLOT.STY
Acoustic Piano: Mike Rojas, STEPPIN.STY
Acoustic Guitar: Joe Robinson, _CHARLOT.STY
Electric Guitar: Michael Thompson, _CHARLOT.STY
Pedal Steel Guitar: Eddy Dunlap, _DRM16S2.STY

Recorded at 120 bpm in F# on ProTools 12 through an Eleven Rack processor.
Posted By: firesong Re: Messiah - 01/19/23 04:51 PM
Hey Brad...you ventured out into some different waters with this one! I must admit it's a little strange to hear you in this particular genre...I of coarse love the theme and lyrics...and I really like the vocal repeats...I would call this style pop/funk...I have to tell you I'm not crazy about the band...it's really busy and sometimes seems to be fighting the melody also seems a bit frantic and frenzied IMO...which version of BiaB do you have?...there are some great pop/funk/rock styles in 2023 version...I don't mean to be negative...I'm just so used to you telling fantastic stories in a country style...but outside the comfort zone is where we grow as writers/composers/arrangers...right?
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Messiah - 01/19/23 05:18 PM
Hi there Dan, and thank you. Yes, I was way out in different waters here, and I knew I was over my head. I believe my version of BiaB is 2021, I'm sure it's not 2023. I didn't think your comments were negative in any way, but they're much appreciated. If I wasn't open to criticism, and only wanted to hear how great I am, I'd only let mama listen to my songs! I've got pretty thick skin and feel secure in the forum members, you included, to provide honest opinions in attempt to help me learn and create a better project. Honestly, I expected a lot of critique on this one in particular since it is so different for me. I may revisit this song in the future after getting some more help and try it again. Thanks again, Brad
Posted By: dcuny Re: Messiah - 01/20/23 05:26 AM
Hi, Brad.

I like the song, and think it's got a lot of potential. But I agree that it could use some work.

Ideas you can feel free to disagree and/or ignore:

• It needs rhythmic support from bass and drums.
  • Your bluesy notes don't fit the style.
  • Some of the keyboard parts sound wrong.
  • It needs a stronger instrument on the break.

Nice song! smile
Posted By: dani48 Re: Messiah - 01/20/23 07:25 AM
Hi, Brad !

The song is really good, I also
liked it very much !

Cheers
Dani
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: Messiah - 01/20/23 10:07 AM
Hi Brad,
I like your song in general, but I think your drumming/percussion doesn't fit the rest of the song, it's too busy and the style doesn't fit either.
But there is potential and the song is worth reworking. The good thing is that with BIAB it's easy to try different drums.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Messiah - 01/20/23 05:15 PM
Brad,

Kudos for the "experimentation".
One of the great things about BIAB - we can all try our hand at styles that are "new" to us.
By the end of the listen, it all began to "settle in" some.
My main thought, though, was that the sound of your vocals don't really "fit" the style.
Not a "bad thing" - just a "thing". You have a cool Country sounding voice. Funky Jazz? Worth a shot.
(whenever I do what I consider a "Rock vocal" everyone calls it Country - much to my chagrin).

Keep 'em coming...

fj
Posted By: BabuMusic Re: Messiah - 01/21/23 11:15 AM
Sorry, Brad, I'm not good at categories --except as an aide to memory, but this one I put in the really good category. The melody and changes are very uplifting, and match the lyrics perfectly. Let's call it Universal, meaning anyone in the Universe could and should sing it from the soul.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Messiah - 01/21/23 12:11 PM
Hi Brad,

First of all a good song, you are a fine lyricist and I always like your vocal. The processing on your vocal sounds right to me, just the right amount of reverb, you have come a long way in a short time when it comes to the production side of things.

I agree that possibly the style you chose might not be the best choice. But, the cool thing about BIAB is that it's really easy to experiment; keep the song structure as it is and just drop in a different style.

I enjoy your music, and this is no exception.
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: Messiah - 01/22/23 07:54 PM
Brad,

Without reading any other comments, I believe I would place this track within the Smooth Jazz/Adult Contemporary area but I could be way off! I think it's a lovely praise and worship song! You might try also experimenting with some other pop styles to see what happens! Keep at it!

Thanks, T
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: Messiah - 01/25/23 09:31 PM
Thanks for giving it a listen Dani, I appreciate it. I'm about to post another version that hopefully you'll like a little better.

Thanks B.D. This is all new to me, but Dcuny got a hold of it and worked some magic. Hopefully it will sound better now.

Thanks Floyd, and I agree, my voice does not go well with this style at all. I also can identify - it seems like I could try to sing with an AC/DC voice and it would still sound more like Haggard - except not nearly as good in either case.

Thanks for trying it out Marty. I think (I hope) I will learn a lot from this one. Dcunny has reached out and made some great changes - now if I can just learn to use the system as well as he does, but that's a pretty high bar!

Thank you Dave, hopefully the next version will be better, though I still have difficulty hearing my voice with this type of music.

Thanks for stopping by and offering some encouragement Torrey!
Posted By: David Snyder Re: Messiah - 01/25/23 11:16 PM
Brad,

It's a good song man. You simply need to swap it out for any one of many, many praise and worship power pop styles in BIAB. There are boatloads. Type in praise power push in the style search bar and look at styles with those instruments.

Should take 2 seconds.

With Praise and worship, less is always more. It's all about the vocals.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: Messiah - 01/26/23 01:25 AM
Brad,

Kudos for stepping out into new territory—not an easy thing to do. I think you’ve got a lot of good things going on here, but you’ve also received a lot of good feedback and suggestions on this—most all of which I agree with. I would stay with this one and keep working it—lots of potential here

Best regards,

Deej
Posted By: JONA Re: Messiah - 01/27/23 03:48 PM
Thank you of this song.
You can hear that you sing this lyrics from your heart

Jona
© PG Music Forums