PG Music Home
Posted By: Bass Thumper I Don't Care - 01/28/23 07:35 PM
Hello Homo Sapien,

I don’t care if you are black, brown, white, yellow, blue, red, purple or anything in between
Don’t care if your life is exciting and fun or dull and routine

I don’t care if you are noble, educated, smart and influential
Don’t care if you’re a flunkout without a credential

I don’t care if you melt the glaciers or expand the deserts
Don’t care if you’re a city dweller or live in the outskirts

I don’t care if you choke the oceans with your plastics and pollution
Don’t care if you deny the truth with fantasies and convolution

I don’t care if you kill every life form left on this planet
Don’t care if your love for life is solid as granite

You see, I’m just a rock with water on my skin
With a molten and spinning core deep within

My sister is Venus and older brother the Sun
We are old and you are still young

So deplete the ozone and pollute the air
Or perhaps you should pause and re-think, and decide to care

Technicals:
Key=Em , Tempo 65 BPM

BiaB
RealTracks in style: ~367:Guitar, Electric, Background Dreamy Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~576:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Blues BB Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1950:Piano, Acoustic, Soloist PopRootsyJohn Ev16 100 (Bluesy)
RealDrums in style:RockEven16: a: Snare, HiHat b: Snare, Ride

Me
Bass Guitar
Korg Flying Pad
Korg Versatile Strings
Korg Ensemble Strings
Korg CX-3/Hammond Organ

I Don't Care

Attached picture Earth's Core.jpg
Posted By: justanoldmuso Re: I Don't Care - 01/28/23 08:30 PM
BT.

superb intro fx etc.v well done.

what i found in muso groups was the poor bass player was often not given the recognition they deserved for their efforts.

thus i sincerely hope you're given the recognition you deserve with this song...cos i really like the sound pictures youve painted and the cleverness of the piece.

the only thing i might suggest if ok with you, is i hear in my mind a more subtle drum trak. but thats just moi.

if you dont mind me saying i feel you and mario together would be a 'soundscape super group'.

have a great 2023.

om
Posted By: B.D.Thomas Re: I Don't Care - 01/29/23 12:32 PM
Pink Floyd-ish in a very positive way, I like it.

But I'm listening for the 2nd time now and am still waiting for the singer to chime in and sing your beautiful lyrics grin
Posted By: Brad Williams Re: I Don't Care - 01/29/23 12:53 PM
Bass Thumper, I'll admit when I saw this was going to be a 5 minute song at 65 bpm, I didn't think I'd like it, but man was I wrong. I thought this came off really well. I stayed interested throughout. It sounds like a really cool smooth jam, in fact I probably would have titled it Smooth Jam, but then if I had done this tune it wouldn't have turned out half as good. You did a great job, and I agree that you and Mario would make a great team! Nice stuff.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 01/29/23 04:20 PM
Originally Posted By: justanoldmuso
BT.

superb intro fx etc.v well done.

what i found in muso groups was the poor bass player was often not given the recognition they deserved for their efforts.

thus i sincerely hope you're given the recognition you deserve with this song...cos i really like the sound pictures youve painted and the cleverness of the piece.

the only thing i might suggest if ok with you, is i hear in my mind a more subtle drum trak. but thats just moi.

if you dont mind me saying i feel you and mario together would be a 'soundscape super group'.

have a great 2023.

om

Hey om,
Thanks so much for the positive review. Glad you liked the intro. I guess that turned out to be another happy accident; it certainly wasn't pre-planned. Experimenting with the Korg Pad I noticed that if I sustained a low E and then worked my way up a couple octaves that it sounded pretty good. I then layered Guitar 1 with a volume ramp-up.

Regarding Mario, I have learned a lot from him; he's the one-man supergroup smile
Posted By: Torrey Bliss Re: I Don't Care - 01/29/23 05:28 PM
Bass Thumper,

Nice use of effects at the start! Kind of a Pink Floyd vibe as it rolls along! The track sounds great with excellent instrumentation choices! Your additions to the song serve to enhance the overall sound very well!

Thanks, T
Posted By: floyd jane Re: I Don't Care - 01/29/23 05:35 PM
Steve,

Cool opening
As others have mentioned...floydish....
Tracks sound good.
Your bass sounds good but I'm hearing it just in my left ear- I think it should be centered

Enjoyed the listen

Fj
Posted By: PeterF Re: I Don't Care - 01/29/23 05:36 PM
Nice sounding instrumental jam.

Bass was very good and the instrument choices were evocative.

Good work.

Peter
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 01/29/23 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: B.D.Thomas
Pink Floyd-ish in a very positive way, I like it.

But I'm listening for the 2nd time now and am still waiting for the singer to chime in and sing your beautiful lyrics grin

Thanks BD, yeah I guess this does sound a bit like Pink Floyd especially if I were to remove the piano.

And what's this I hear? You're going to sing this on the re-mix?? wink
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 01/29/23 07:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Brad Williams
Bass Thumper, I'll admit when I saw this was going to be a 5 minute song at 65 bpm, I didn't think I'd like it, but man was I wrong. I thought this came off really well. I stayed interested throughout. It sounds like a really cool smooth jam, in fact I probably would have titled it Smooth Jam, but then if I had done this tune it wouldn't have turned out half as good. You did a great job, and I agree that you and Mario would make a great team! Nice stuff.

Many thanks Brad, I always appreciate your honest reviews.

To be honest, I didn't pay any attention to the length of this. Sometimes I do but I knew I wanted a slow song (65 BPM) and I knew it had to have and Intro, V1, C1, V2, Bridge, V3 C2 and Outro. Without lyrics I'm thinking that these 8 sections would be needed to allow a build-up with variety. Plus I run into 8+ minute songs on Pandora all the time. This of course was around 5 minutes.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 01/29/23 07:46 PM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Steve,

Cool opening
As others have mentioned...floydish....
Tracks sound good.
Your bass sounds good but I'm hearing it just in my left ear- I think it should be centered

Enjoyed the listen

Fj

Thanks Floyd, and you are pro on so many levels.
Regarding the bass panning here's what happened. When I created a track in Studio One to record my bass I failed to notice that the default is Mono. PLUS, the default panning seems to be Centered with the DAW assuming the track is stereo. To truly center that stem it needs to be set at "L50" if mono or "Centered" if stereo. Obviously your ears are better than mine and I used headphones to do the mix! And every day I learn something. The trick now is to remember this lesson crazy

Thanks for pointing this out, I fully agree, the bass should be truly centered.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 01/29/23 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Nice sounding instrumental jam.

Bass was very good and the instrument choices were evocative.

Good work.

Peter

Thanks Peter, glad you liked it.
Posted By: tommyad Re: I Don't Care - 01/30/23 11:51 AM
Nice intro, very good bass playing, nice track selections and the mix sounds good other than the panned bass. Good job, Tom
Posted By: firesong Re: I Don't Care - 01/30/23 01:39 PM
BT...really nice piece...one of the best and most cohesive uses of BiaB as an instrumental piece that I've heard...great bass work as usual...very mellow and ethereal...I especially like the strings and solo guitar melody...I don't know how much patching phrases together you had to do to get it down but it sounds great!

BTW...My mind doesn't associate it with the poem you posted...but my mind is weird smile
Posted By: vicarn Re: I Don't Care - 01/30/23 02:04 PM
Hi B.T.
I thought my ears were playing tricks until I saw Floyd's comment on the bass.
That being said I thought the mix was really good and nothing overrides the other.
Good stuff. Get a vocal!

Vic
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 01/30/23 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Nice intro, very good bass playing, nice track selections and the mix sounds good other than the panned bass. Good job, Tom

Hey Tommy, thanks for the listen and review.
As for the panned bass . . . I owe Floyd big time for his spot-on critique.
Now the question is am I smart enough to remember this lesson? crazy
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 01/30/23 03:57 PM
Originally Posted By: firesong
BT...really nice piece...one of the best and most cohesive uses of BiaB as an instrumental piece that I've heard...great bass work as usual...very mellow and ethereal...I especially like the strings and solo guitar melody...I don't know how much patching phrases together you had to do to get it down but it sounds great!

BTW...My mind doesn't associate it with the poem you posted...but my mind is weird smile

Hey fs, thanks for the glowing review. Coming from a master of music like you, this means a lot.

Not sure what you mean by "patching phrases together" as I'm still a 3 year old with BiaB and a 7 year old on the bass but let me summarize my process.

1. After hunting and pecking a chord progression in BiaB, I'll settle on a song structure. Usually intro, verse1, verse2, chorus 1, maybe a bridge, verses3 and outro.

2. Then I'll play the BiaB file in a loop and sit down at my Korg. I'll iteratively seach for a voice that matches the mood, theme or message in my head.

3. Once I find a Korg voice I like (strings, vibes, organ, etc) I'll try to play along with BiaB; basically with one or two fingers. It may take me hours to find a sequence of keystrokes that sound good to me at which point I'll hit Record in my DAW. Of course, take 1 will have a mistake in chorus2, take 2 will have a mistake somewhere else and so on. Eventually I'll obtain a "mistake-free" take.

4. Now I move on to Korg voice 2 and maybe a 3rd voice. For the subsequent voices I try to me mindful that they don't "overlap" or are too close in the frequency spectrum. [I'm sure there is a musical term for this I just don't know it.]

5. At this point I have all the tracks in my DAW and I make a decision which voice plays when and where. This is where each track/voice "fights for it's life" to stay in the mix.

6. When step 5 is "complete" I usually write and print a chord sheet then it's time to turn on my bass amp and lay down a groove. If the song is slow and simple I might be able to get what I like in one take. For up-tempo and more complex songs it might take me days. Even if it takes days, it's still fun.

7. Export the mix to MP3 format, upload to SoundCloud and share/learn from you true experts.

As I learn more and more this process will change. For example I recently discovered the 16-step drum sequencer in my DAW AND that my Korg has a built-in arpeggiator ! Two woo-hooos's smile

One of my life philosophies is to try to give more than I take in life. And because others here have a similar view I have learned a ton of music in the last 3 or so years I've been on this forum. Floyd is just the latest teacher, there is also Mario, MusicStudent(who I call MusicTeacher), David Cuny, Matt Finley, Marty, Ray and others. So I hope the above home made, DIY, clunky, 7-step procedure might help someone starting out in music, or at the minimum that if a self-taught novice like me can produce something, so can anyone. And of course, if you or anyone see ways to improve my method, do share.

--Steve

PS> It just ocurred to me that I think Eddie shared a 1500 chord progression document a few days ago. Thanks again Eddie.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 01/30/23 04:00 PM
Originally Posted By: vicarn
Hi B.T.
I thought my ears were playing tricks until I saw Floyd's comment on the bass.
That being said I thought the mix was really good and nothing overrides the other.
Good stuff. Get a vocal!

Vic

Thanks Vic, glad you liked this. And sorry for the panning messup. If Floyd didn't point that out I'd still be blissfully ignorant.
Care to sing on the remix of this song? wink
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Don't Care - 01/30/23 06:26 PM
Steve, this is absolutely your best to date!
Everything I would have said already has been said so all I can add is that this is one hell of a great song.

Loved it.

PS - thanx for those very kind remarks.
Posted By: Birchwood Re: I Don't Care - 01/31/23 10:20 AM
Hi Steve,

A beautiful melody that you keep listening to.
When listening I thought at what moment do the vocals come in to sing that beautiful poem/lyrics?
And they didn't! But then I understood how this song works. And it works!
I kept reading the lines over and over while this melody continued. And yes, they also sounded, more than a bit, 'floydish' as Floyd wrote.
So very, very enjoyable.

Hans
(I didn't hear that bass problem)
Posted By: vicarn Re: I Don't Care - 01/31/23 11:55 AM
I sent you a pm

Vic
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 01/31/23 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Steve, this is absolutely your best to date!
Everything I would have said already has been said so all I can add is that this is one hell of a great song.

Loved it.

PS - thanx for those very kind remarks.

Many thanks Mario, really appreciate your listen and review.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: I Don't Care - 01/31/23 03:52 PM
Nice progression, and love the hypnotic groove!

Sure, it would be nice with a vocal, but you have enough interesting things going on that it also works very well as an instrumental.

Well done, your best yet I think.
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 01/31/23 06:58 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice progression, and love the hypnotic groove!

Sure, it would be nice with a vocal, but you have enough interesting things going on that it also works very well as an instrumental.

Well done, your best yet I think.

Hey Dave, many thanks for the positive review and feedback.
You are observant indeed. Because I don't sing I try to compensate with embellishments that hopefully are interesting to most listeners.
The trick [for me] is to not overly embellish smile

Sometimes less is more.
Posted By: dcuny Re: I Don't Care - 02/01/23 12:25 AM
Nice - as others have said, a strong Pink Floyd vibe.
Posted By: rayc Re: I Don't Care - 02/01/23 01:25 AM
Please remix with the bass centred - I like it's tone and arrangement but it's doing my head in over there.
You've REALLY move ahead with leaps & bounds.
Ace.
Posted By: Deej56 Re: I Don't Care - 02/01/23 01:08 PM
BassThumper:

Really nice sound you have hear—wonderful instrumentation. Like others, I kept waiting for a singer to kick in given those poetic lines you’ve penned to go with. That piano is very engaging and the Pink Floyd-ish lead solo is excellent. Well done!

All my best to you,

Deej
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 02/04/23 04:34 PM
David, Ray and Deej, thanks a bunch for the listen and review.
I'll try to pay more attention to panning going forward . . .
Posted By: DrDan Re: I Don't Care - 02/04/23 04:54 PM
This is very neat indeed. Besides the pinkish vibe I am hearing Neal Young's "Be on my side, I'll be on your side, baby. There is no reason for you to hide. It's so hard for me staying here all alone.." A nice arrangement and mix. Liked it a lot.
Posted By: David Snyder Re: I Don't Care - 02/04/23 06:38 PM
Cool sounds man!
Posted By: Scott C Re: I Don't Care - 02/06/23 11:37 PM
Loved the intro. Very Pink Floydish. Cool bass lines. Would love to here it with the lyrics. Well done
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 02/07/23 07:31 PM
Dan, David and Scott, I appreciate the listen and review.
Posted By: Ezekiel's Storm Re: I Don't Care - 02/07/23 09:26 PM
This floats along nicely, sort of an out-of-body experience gliding at 3,000 feet. Production is finely textured. I enjoyed the listening experience.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: I Don't Care - 02/08/23 11:15 AM
"Pink Floyd-ish in a very positive way, I like it."

Our thoughts nailed.

It's an overused word but "mesmerizing" comes to mind.
Your tracks and the BiaB tracks have a very cohesive sound - great illustration of how it can all come together.

Thought provoking lyric indeed.

Cool to hear such efforts from a bass player. I spend many years as one looking at the backside of the other four band members on stage smile Now with BiaB I can better express myself!

We enjoyed it.

J&B
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: I Don't Care - 02/08/23 04:02 PM
Storm, many thanks for the listen and review. Glad you enjoyed it.

J&B, thanks to you too. I'm glad you think my and the BiaB tracks are cohesive. Much effort goes into selecting various voices that I hope co-habitate well together. Then I have to give tons of credit to Studio One which has very flexible "volume automation" onboard.

Be sure to check out the remix posted today.
© PG Music Forums