PG Music Home
Posted By: sergion Soul Jazz Styles - 03/15/23 10:50 AM
Hello,

Though I have the UltraPak and all the styles packages up to 2022, I can't find styles suitable to songs like the following:

The cat - Jimmy Smith from The Cat
The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan from The Sidewinder (The Rudy Van Gelder Edition Remastered)
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - C. Adderley from Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (Live at 'the Club')
Return of the Prodigal Son - Stanley Turrentine from The Return of the Prodigal Son
Nasty (feat. Houston Person, John Abercrombie & Grady Tate) - Johnny "Hammond" Smith from The Soulful Blues
The Shake - 'Big' John Patton. from Got a Good Thing Goin' from Got a Good Thing Goin'
Seesaw - Dr. Lonnie Smith from Turning Point (Rudy Van Gelder Edition Remastered) from Turning Point (Rudy Van Gelder Edition Remastered)
The Cape Verdean Blues (feat. J.J. Johnson) - Horace Silver from The Cape Verdean Blues (feat. J.J. Johnson)
Cold Duck Time - Les McCann & Eddie Harris from Swiss Movement
The Cantaloupe Woman -- Grant Green, from His Majesty King Funk

If you guys know styles I can use, I'd appreciate. Also, a soul jazz style set would be welcome.
Thanks
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Soul Jazz Styles - 03/16/23 11:02 PM
I haven’t tried to do any of these songs in BIAB (and don’t know a few), but this is a solid list of jazz tunes that are uniquely sounding.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Soul Jazz Styles - 03/17/23 10:01 AM
+1 for RTs and MIDI.
Posted By: sergion Re: Soul Jazz Styles - 03/21/23 12:31 PM
Two more:

Song to my father
Night Train (J. Smith, W. Montegomery) The dynamic Duo. The brass stabs are amazingly groovy!
Posted By: sergion Re: Soul Jazz Styles - 06/01/23 10:43 AM
Anybody else interested in Soul Jazz styles? (thread has a few examples)
Thanks!
Posted By: Bass Thumper Re: Soul Jazz Styles - 06/01/23 11:12 AM
Some on the list I've never heard but they are great.
+1 for adding styles.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Soul Jazz Styles - 06/04/23 11:57 AM
+1
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Soul Jazz Styles - 06/04/23 02:28 PM
Let’s talk terms for a moment. This can be tough. Of those songs I recognize, most of them go way back so I think I would call them jazz fusion. These were the beginnings of smooth jazz (except for John Abercrombie, who cannot be classified). I may be wrong but the first time I heard the term ‘soul jazz’ it was by solid Japanese players around 15 to 20 years ago producing slightly funky remakes of tunes in this style.

Try widening your search terms.
Posted By: Tobin - PG Music Inc. Re: Soul Jazz Styles - 02/21/24 07:22 PM
Hi Sergion,

Thanks very much for the suggestion! We did add quick a few RealTracks and RealDrums that fall under this category with our December release of Band-in-a-Box 2024 for Windows.

Here are a couple of sample demos:
http://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_FOOTIT.m4a
https://demos.pgmusic.com/audio/allstyledemos2/_YELLOW.m4a

And, we'll keep this suggestion in mind for future versions as well.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Soul Jazz Styles - 02/22/24 10:22 PM
Tobin's first example, _FOOTIT is exactly what I think of for the Japanese emulations of Bossa Nova about 20 yeas ago. Dead on.

In your second post, you mentioned a song that I believe is correctly named Song For My Father by Horace Silver. It might appear in a search where your name did not.
Posted By: Blues1952 Re: Soul Jazz Styles - 04/10/24 12:49 PM
+2
© PG Music Forums