PG Music Home
Posted By: J. Larry Simpler bass parts - 10/26/11 05:01 AM
I know that simple real bass parts now exist. I use them all the time. However, I'd like some options on acoustic bass that are basic 1-5 patterns---that are just straight, pure and simple all the way through. I still find with the simplist versions currently available, there's embellishments here and there, fancy little runs, and funky stuff that just doesn't fit the tunes I'm doing. I know it when I hear it, and I'm still looking.
Posted By: J. Larry Re: Simpler bass parts - 11/05/11 05:56 PM
I'll respond to my own post. I think, now, having played a few more live gigs with BIAB, I'd like to see some real acoustic bass parts that mirror midi bass tracks, but with real instruments. That is, note for note patterns of midi, if that's possible. Especially, on ballads and medium to up-swing tunes, the midi bass tracks (to me) are smoother, more vanilla-sounding, and are not so intrusive with live players. Last evening, my drummer said, "What's up with those real bass tracks? They sound jerky and crazy at times." (These were the simple versions). Not all real bass parts are that way, of course. The rest of real track styles are great. Just part of my wish list.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Simpler bass parts - 11/07/11 07:30 AM
If all the MIDI Styles you have heard have been washed through a low-end PC sound card I think you're in for a pleasant surprise. Parts of many MIDI Styles are quite convincing when played through a good-quality synth. I have been especially pleased with some of the bass lines in particular. What synth(s) do you use presently, and what do you have available?
Posted By: filkertom Re: Simpler bass parts - 11/20/11 03:10 AM
What Ryszard said. I know what you mean -- I supplement RTs with BIAB's MIDI bass and drums all the time. If you prefer the MIDI bass parts to the RT, you might want to get a simple, free bass instrument (I recommend getting a copy of Computer Music and checking out the CM Studio in every issue -- lotsa good freebies there).
© PG Music Forums