PG Music Home
Posted By: dcuny Cello - 07/07/12 02:16 AM
It would be great to have "pop music" accompaniment cello RealTracks. Not really "rock", but something that would fit nicely with a guitar ballad.

The classic song that comes to mind is James Taylor's "Fire and Rain", which sounds wonderful on cello:

Fire and Rain (with cello)

A more upbeat example:

Finally - David James Martinez (guitar, cello and cajon)

There are several different styles I can think of:
  • Simple arco bass. This would be a simple bowed style, pretty much the same as what you'd get from a bowed bass. For example, what the cello plays on Long and Winding Road under the first verse, or in What Would You Do?.

• Arco bass fills. The cello version of the "Background Allis Fiddle", but in the lower register. There's enough motion in them to have character, but not so much that it would be confused with a melodic line. Probably played in the middle register of the cello, so the melodic character comes out, with more passing notes than the "simpler arco" style. For example, at 1:00 in Jupiter and Mars the cello gives the melody over to the guitar, but plays more than single bass notes.

I'll admit, there's not much difference between "simple" and "fills", other than a matter of degree.

• Pizzicato bass. Much like the simple plucked bass, and not particularly interesting by itself, but very useful as a "B" style for the cello. I'd think it would be more in the middle register of the cello. It's used often in Finally, for example.

• Solo fills. This is really why I want a cello style - bits and fills where the cello can take the lead. Check out just about any of the prior examples... Only they typically pilfer melodic lines and phrases from the melody, so I don't know of any generic examples, So I'll just point to the background fiddle styles in BiaB and suggest that they be along those lines. I'd imagine these to be in the middle to high register of the cello, although by "high" I'm not really thinking too high - it should be something that sounds characteristic of the cello, instead of part that gets into the violin's register.

I don't really know how clever RealTracks are about this, but it might make sense to have a "major" and "minor" option, in the same way that some RealTracks have "blues" options.

The big selling point of RealTracks is that they give all the stuff that MIDI doesn't. So expressive bowing and slurs would really sell the track.
Posted By: toucher Re: Cello - 07/07/12 03:17 AM
+1

Rob
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Cello - 07/07/12 05:40 PM
+2
Posted By: rodipoet Re: Cello - 07/09/12 01:55 PM
+3
Posted By: Donsta Re: Cello - 08/02/12 05:37 PM
+4
Posted By: dcuny Re: Cello - 08/03/12 04:19 PM
RealTracks Set 167: Country Boogie and More
Cello, Background Pop, Ev 85

Sounds sweet!

Thanks, PG Music!

I guess I'll have to buy the upgrade now!

Now I'm really curious if the cello and fiddle soloist play well together...
© PG Music Forums