PG Music Home
Sometimes when I'm using a style to create a song, or I am listening to a style demo song, it's difficult for me to determine if the current style has even or swing feel.

It would be nice if the BiaB and RB interfaces included visible indicators for swing or even feel. Perhaps the indicators could be in the general areas where number of bars, tempo and time signature for the song are presented.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Swing / Even Feel Identifier Buttons - 01/07/15 01:38 PM
Well, the RT names usually are a strong indication, since they always include EV/SW in their names, but I guess this could be handy for the other styles. And there do seem to be people out there struggling with detecting this by ear, so...
+1
Posted By: Dave Re: Swing / Even Feel Identifier Buttons - 01/09/15 01:37 PM
Look at the notation. If there are groups of 4 dotted lines per beat, it's an even style. If there are groups of 3, then it's a swing style.

That is unless you have changed the option to show triplets (from an even style)

using the Piano Roll (old version) you can actually see where the note was added. It may be exactly on one of those dotted lines or even between them. Switching between the notation views can be quite helpful.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Swing / Even Feel Identifier Buttons - 01/09/15 02:17 PM
Dave, I don't use the notation view as I don't read music.

The top part of the screen outlines a lot of song details including title, style, root key, tempo, number of bars and time signature. Having feel identifiers would help me understand what I am hearing and find comparable styles or Realtracks.
Posted By: Dave Re: Swing / Even Feel Identifier Buttons - 01/09/15 06:44 PM
I don't trust BIABs interpretation of styles any more. The style picker may say even and when it really is swing and vice versa. Jazz styles can be found in all genres so that's not even a useful tool.

Even if you can't read music, the notation will always tell you the feel. are the dotted lines in 3s or 4s.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Swing / Even Feel Identifier Buttons - 01/09/15 08:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
The style picker may say even when it really is swing and vice versa.

Would you mind giving an example of this? It's entirely possible it's just an error in labeling and should be reported to PG Music.
Posted By: Dave Re: Swing / Even Feel Identifier Buttons - 01/10/15 07:29 PM
ZZWALTZ is listed as even but in fact if you open a new song and bring using this style is a actually swing (triplet feel)

There are many others, this is one I know for sure

I am using 2013
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Swing / Even Feel Identifier Buttons - 01/11/15 12:50 PM
Just saying, it would be nice if somewhere in the top part of the screen where all the other song attributes are displayed if the song even/swing feel was listed too. Feel has as much influence on a song as tempo or time signature and many times more than the key. If all that other stuff is important enough to be listed at the top, why not feel? I can assure you it's more likely a new user can identify 3/4 versus 4/4 time than identify feel. For users with little musical training, feel is a vague musical concept.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Swing / Even Feel Identifier Buttons - 01/11/15 03:33 PM
Somewhat agree

There is certainly room for a more intuitive way of displaying many of these features.

+1
Posted By: Dave Re: Swing / Even Feel Identifier Buttons - 04/02/15 11:03 PM
having just started to play with the style editor, I was surprised to find that the user has to check a box (or two) to define a style as swing or even. It's not generated by BIAB based on the style patterns

Get it wrong, and although the style is truly swing, the picker will call it even. So if BIAB did have an indicator based on the style it could easily be incorrect.

BIAB will happily play a song entered as swing with an even style, and vice-versa. You can't even trust Piano roll fully. You really have to look at where the note is entered relative to the start of the beat.

And then of course there are songs that switch styles, or styles that have a genre of jazz but with an even feel.

Obviously it's not an exact science
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Swing / Even Feel Identifier Buttons - 12/21/19 04:57 PM
Bump
© PG Music Forums