PG Music Home
I raised this in 2012 so maybe it's time to do so again. How about a retro and world-rocking Phil Spector/Wall of Sound style/RT set? Maybe even offer two styles to be combined to provide sufficient tracks. Then have a contest for the best original holiday song using it, which no doubt will be a hit and classic going forward. Whadd'ya say, PG? It's all I really want for Christmas.
+1

Fun idea.
If you want to take the trouble, you can do the Wall Of Sound with BB/RB already.

Spector's method was doubling and layering. He would have a P-Bass and a double-bass playing the same notes, EQ each one differently – same with guitars, pianos, horns - everything doubled. Then he would layer the doubled tracks together, with different EQ/placement, slather on a bunch of plate reverb, and the sound was huge.

It's actually kind-of better with RealBand, because you can generate multiple riffs on each instrument, instead of just doubling an instrument. I tried it on a song, ended up with 24 solid tracks, and was very pleased with the result.

Try it – it's fun!

Regards,

Bob
Thanks for the suggestion -- I will try it. Is the song you did posted on your website (which I briefly checked out) or somewhere else? I'd like to hear it. Thanks again.

P.S.: I located the other day on YouTube several Phil Spector studio session recordings which are fascinating -- like the Brian Wilson/Beach Boy and Jan & Dean ones I already had collected, these give a "you are there" sense of how the primo "sausage" was made, seasoned with a lot of trial-and-error, genius, and the magic of legendary studio musicians at the top of their game.
Originally Posted By: LawTunes
How about a retro and world-rocking Phil Spector/Wall of Sound style/RT set?

Great idea, LawTunes! Duly noted.

Will
PG Music
"Thanks for the suggestion -- I will try it. Is the song you did posted on your website (which I briefly checked out) or somewhere else? I'd like to hear it. Thanks again."

This was a song called "Run":

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/track/run

Here's a screenshot of the Sonar file:

I doubled the drums, pianos and guitars. This was just a test run. I'm working on one now with more cowbell! grin

Regards,

Bob

Quote:
I'm working on one now with more cowbell!

You're probably going to need 3 or 4 tracks for that.
Originally Posted By: jford
Quote:

Wow. Quad Cowbell!!!!!

You're on to something, John! grin
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Originally Posted By: jford
Quote:

Wow. Quad Cowbell!!!!!

You're on to something, John! grin

Forget quad cowbells! I have a 7.1 system (a lie but I need to say that for what's coming next) so I want Octo cowbells. grin
© PG Music Forums