PG Music Home
Posted By: Island Soul Partner with Native Instruments - 08/01/17 02:50 PM
For 2018, I think PG music needs to make a special deal for Audiophile users where we could get a full copy of Kontact that doesn't requier us to download the files unto our computers. I would love to buy Kontak but I don't want to have to download atons of gigs just to have it on my computer.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Partner with Native Instruments - 08/01/17 03:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Islansoul
For 2018, I think PG music needs to make a special deal for Audiophile users where we could get a full copy of Kontact that doesn't requier us to download the files unto our computers. I would love to buy Kontak but I don't want to have to download atons of gigs just to have it on my computer.

You don't need to DL all of Kontakt into your computer. Put the Kontakt program there but put all of your Kontakt sounds on an USB3 external drive. It would be a little slower to transfer your patches to your computer but it will work. YMMV
Posted By: jford Re: Partner with Native Instruments - 08/01/17 05:12 PM
I'm not sure I understand this request. Native Instruments requires the download of library content (which runs in the multi-gigabytes for some libraries) to use it. And since they switched to "Native Access", you don't even get an installation file anymore (because it downloads, installs, and deletes the file).

Or are you just saying that the Audiophile hard drive should already contain Kontakt pre-installed and licensed as part of the Audiophile purchase? Even so, that just gets you the player interface; you still need the library content to actually be able to use it for anything.

I've got the Komplete Ultimate Package (I initially bought version 8 and have upgraded through versions 9, 10, and now 11). Versions 8 and 9 came on an external USB disk, but you still had to install it on your computer (however, as Mario said, even though the main program gets installed on C:, the libraries can go where you specify). With Version 10, however, you had to download all the the files from Native Instruments; but you could keep a copy of them if you ever needed to re-install. Now, with Native Access, you lose that ability. Don't know if it's to prevent piracy, or what, but I don't care for it (even though I will continue to use their products).
Posted By: MarioD Re: Partner with Native Instruments - 08/02/17 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: jford
I'm not sure I understand this request. Native Instruments requires the download of library content (which runs in the multi-gigabytes for some libraries) to use it. And since they switched to "Native Access", you don't even get an installation file anymore (because it downloads, installs, and deletes the file).

Or are you just saying that the Audiophile hard drive should already contain Kontakt pre-installed and licensed as part of the Audiophile purchase? Even so, that just gets you the player interface; you still need the library content to actually be able to use it for anything.

I've got the Komplete Ultimate Package (I initially bought version 8 and have upgraded through versions 9, 10, and now 11). Versions 8 and 9 came on an external USB disk, but you still had to install it on your computer (however, as Mario said, even though the main program gets installed on C:, the libraries can go where you specify). With Version 10, however, you had to download all the the files from Native Instruments; but you could keep a copy of them if you ever needed to re-install. Now, with Native Access, you lose that ability. Don't know if it's to prevent piracy, or what, but I don't care for it (even though I will continue to use their products).

All the more reason to get an image backup program like Acronis. I have my music computer backed up twice. One backup is here and the other is in our safe deposit box at our bank.
Posted By: jford Re: Partner with Native Instruments - 08/03/17 12:27 PM
I actually have all my three of my computers backed up multiple times with Acronis. I run a new full backup every month and do differential backups each week. I just boot to the Acronis CD and start it before I go to bed. All done when I wake up the next morning.

And I have tested the restore several times as well, so I know it works.
Posted By: Island Soul Re: Partner with Native Instruments - 08/06/17 06:16 PM
What I'm asking for is a way to have Kontak with all the VST on the hard drive without the need to download them onto my hard drive. If I can use Band in a Box without the need to download it, that should be possible as well, if not I would like to see the partnership with Native Instruments to do some sort of deal where I can get Kontatk with ever Band in A Box Audiophile I buy. I would willing to shell out the extra money if it included it.
© PG Music Forums