PG Music Home
Posted By: Don L Turner Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 01/20/18 04:52 PM
Maybe there is a good reason why there are none.

But I'd love to see Midi SuperTracks for acoustic and electric guitar: picking, chord strumming in different styles of playing. Some more realistic sound patches would be helpful too, but there are plenty of third party guitar VSTis out there already. Maybe even one of those could also be included in some future BIAB release.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 01/20/18 08:21 PM
Don,

+1 but with reservation. I don't think MIDI is capable of driving a great sounding guitar soft synth enough for the synth to sound realistic.

First, even the best of acoustic and electric guitar soft synths don't sound very realistic much of the time. It's not the fault of the synths as much as MIDI doesn't seem to be able to direct the synths well enough to convincingly sound authentic. I'm not a guitar snob. I'd love to have a great sounding guitar soft synth at my disposal but I haven't heard an example yet that can fool me. And that's listening to sample songs where the manufacture has invested good time and money to convince me their product does sound realistic.

Second, believe it or not, some PG Music MIDI styles have very good strumming patterns; some of the best I've heard. But the strum patterns do not exploit guitar soft synths any better than the patterns that ship with most guitar soft synths.

As I said at the top, I don't think MIDI is capable of directing even the best sounding guitar soft synths enough to sound realistic.
Posted By: Don L Turner Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 01/22/18 06:50 PM
You are correct Jim. Midi cannot sound as real as the real thing. To some degree that is true for most Midi-generated sounds. However, I have noticed that inside a mix, or if you aren't shooting for realism anyway, a Midi instrument can do the job. I'm no expert, haven't mixed a track in 15 years because of my tinnitus. I was just looking for more options and more freedom to experiment with the sounds and with the notes that could be generated by guitar playing styles.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 01/22/18 11:16 PM
Don,

Amplesound is highly rated. You may find it worth your time to download Amplesound's +++ AGM Lite II +++ (Acoustic Martin). The difference from the paid version is the free version does not include as many samples and performs finger picking while the paid version performs finger picking and strums.

Even with tinnitus I think you'll gain a better perspective of guitar virtual instruments and is a great learning tool.

SuperMidi is a great feature but I don't think it helps midi guitar because so much of the performance can not be captured by MIDI. I'd love to be proven wrong.
Posted By: Don L Turner Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 11/15/18 11:22 PM
You said: :"SuperMidi is a great feature but I don't think it helps midi guitar because so much of the performance can not be captured by MIDI. I'd love to be proven wrong."

I just bought a product that is quite impressive, so far: FingerPick 2.0 for Native Instruments Kontakt. I'm not sure this would prove you wrong, but it is acoustic guitar parts generated by played or recorded simple midi keyboard chords, and the results sound authentic to my ears. It's much more flexible than BIAB MIDI SuperTrack performances and would be a great direction for PG Music to take if they want to stay competitive in an ever-changing market.

And I still would love to see some MIDI SuperTracks for Guitar.

Here is a link: FingerPick 2.0 by RealiTone
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 11/17/18 11:55 PM
RealiTone has several VSTi instruments I'd love to have and FingerPick 2.0 is near the top of the list. I'd also love to have RealiDrums, RealiBanjo and RealiWhistle. FingerPick 2.0 is a huge upgrade from V1.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 11/18/18 12:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
RealiTone has several VSTi instruments I'd love to have and FingerPick 2.0 is near the top of the list. I'd also love to have RealiDrums, RealiBanjo and RealiWhistle. FingerPick 2.0 is a huge upgrade from V1.

I have RealiBanjo and RealiWhistle and both products are excellent. I'd like to get Fingerpick 2 but its Christmas time and cash is in short supply.
Posted By: Don L Turner Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 11/19/18 12:10 AM
Yeah, it is a huge upgrade. I only had version 1 a few days before version 2 came out and I got a great deal. Version 2 lets you pan the strings, switch some or all strings with a nylon guitar (with the bundle), and apply different EQ setting to each string. Between the intensity knob and the different capo settings you can get lots of different sounds even without the new stuff.
Posted By: Don L Turner Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 11/19/18 12:12 AM
I like those instruments but don't have a use for them right now. One instrument that excites me is the screaming trumpet; as soon as I come up with a use for it in a song I'll be buying it.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 11/19/18 11:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Don L Turner
I like those instruments but don't have a use for them right now. One instrument that excites me is the screaming trumpet; as soon as I come up with a use for it in a song I'll be buying it.

Screaming Trumpet is my go to trumpet. It is one of the most realistic sounding VSTi trumpets that I have heard. You will not regret buying it.
Posted By: jford Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 11/19/18 05:17 PM
Yep, I've got everything from Realitone except the vocal instruments. Screaming trumpet is pretty cool.
Posted By: Don L Turner Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 11/19/18 08:15 PM
Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: Don L Turner Re: Midi SuperTracks for guitar - 11/19/18 08:16 PM
Feeling a little jealous right now. I'm sure they're all great products, if Fingerpick is any indication of their quality.
© PG Music Forums