PG Music Home
Posted By: Blues1952 Jump Blues - 07/14/19 12:40 PM
A style of contemporary jump blues - i.e., Roomful, Rod Piazza, Kim Wilson

You might add a blues rhumba as well.
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Jump Blues - 07/15/19 07:11 AM
Again - I agree.

This and many similar requests have been posted in this forum over the last 2-3 years and studiously ignored.

I suspect PG Music are too busy developing more Klezmer and Irish Jig styles and realtracks - neither of which has ever been requested in this forum to my knowledge.
Posted By: MikeK Re: Jump Blues - 08/01/19 10:57 AM
+1
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Jump Blues - 08/05/19 02:05 AM
I Still Agree:

+++++ 1
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Jump Blues - 03/24/21 10:14 PM
Jump Blues

PG Music - please see above for details of this Realtracks request.
Posted By: Blues1952 Re: Jump Blues - 04/13/21 12:54 PM
+5 I think

In the old days BIAB seem to be very concerned with developing diverse blues styles. Of course, there’s never enough styles for us users.

As they developed and expanded the real tracks, blues music became less of a focus. And since they’ve started using Brent Mason as a real track contributor all of the new blues tracks have a distinct SRV sound (which doesn’t usually work for me).

I would love to see PG Music re-dedicate themselves to blues music. There are a ton of really great players on the US west coast that could really use the work right now.

The music we are looking for on this thread is the more traditional electric blues of the 50s and 60s. Chicago, Memphis, LA, New Orleans, Houston, Austin and 1970-present Rhode Island.
Thank you
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Jump Blues - 04/13/21 02:42 PM
Hi,

I agree with all above Jump Blues suggestions - Roomful of Blues, Rod Piazza, Kim Wilson.

But also please don't forget the original Jump Blues artists and styles from the 1940's and 50's:

Louis Jordan, Big Joe Turner, Roy Brown, Charles Brown, Helen Humes, T-Bone Walker, Roy Milton, Billy Wright, Wynonie Harris, Louis Prima, and Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee.

Jump Blues bands were typically "cut-down" versions of the Big Swing Bands and featured a 3 piece Brass section, bass, piano and drums. The brass section played short "stabby" phrases in-between the vocal lines in a "call and response" format. Sax solos were more raucous and raw and the beats were stronger.

Examples of songs include:

Jordan's "Saturday Night Fish Fry," Roy Brown's "Good Rockin' Tonight," and Big Jay McNeely's "Deacon's Hop".

Thanks & Best Regards
Nigel Spiers
Posted By: Blues1952 Re: Jump Blues - 04/16/21 02:25 PM
Yes Nigel, 40s & 50s Jump Blues were essential music, and somewhere in there Rock and Roll was born. Some of the other elements were a little harder hit on the 1 & 3 and a simpler, mostly arpeggiated walking bass line with a much bigger thump. And PG, please, please the bass line on a jump blues on the 2-5 turnaround is a chromatic run starting on the 2. It might not be musically correct but anything else sounds wrong.

+6
© PG Music Forums