PG Music Home
When I select real tracks, all I get is improvisation over the chords, when what I want is a specific melody, actually a jazz head, in this case.
Playing exact notes is what MIDI is for. Enjoy the Real Tracks for what they are designed for.
Originally Posted By: Dave
Playing exact notes is what MIDI is for. Enjoy the Real Tracks for what they are designed for.

Exactly!
I don't want to see tacumso, the original poster's request, dismissed without something of an explanation.

Yes, MIDI is the way we do this now. Done right, with a good MIDI synth, it can sound quite good. However:

I think that having RealTracks play a melody might be technically possible but extremely difficult.

There is a MIDI standard and you can program how a MIDI note is to sound. No such standard exists, to my knowledge, for programming audio snippets. PG Music developed proprietary technology in 2008 to bring us RealTracks (and RealDrums). Yes, some are single instrument soloists, but they are not under our direct control as in playing exactly what we would write.

Imagine how difficult it would be to reproduce a single note. You must consider attack, decay, duration, volume, and timbre. And I'm probably forgetting something. All these can be programmed in MIDI. How would you do it in audio?

So, nothing wrong in asking for this, but I suspect if it were easy, PG Music would have already done it a decade ago.
Look at UJAM Mellow it has RealBass playing as well as an instrument mode, PG could do this with their RealTracks:

Player Mode
Virtual Bassist MELLOW has two distinct modes - Firstly, Player mode, that gives you easy access to UJAMs traditional fail-free GUI and control set, just set the musical key and decide on the chords of the song and MELLOW does the hard work, even intelligently choosing the most appropriate articulations to augment your basslines.

Instrument Mode
For those that want more control and are comfortable playing the keyboard, our brand-new Instrument mode will let you access the whole of MELLOW's meticulously sampled fretboard with your MIDI controller, complete with dead notes, full stops and satisfying slides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Fg3uUV6jA
<<< ... to reproduce a single note. You must consider attack, decay, duration, volume, and timbre. And I'm probably forgetting something. All these can be programmed in MIDI. How would you do it in audio?

So, nothing wrong in asking for this, but I suspect if it were easy, PG Music would have already done it a decade ago. >>>

Matt, your suspicion is correct. It's easy and PG Music did it years ago. Not sure if as long as a decade but it's certainly been around (and unused) for nearly a decade.

It's done with an Artist Performance Track and there are many ways to create and share one. This means someone can request a Style or Track in the Styles and RealTracks Wish list and another BIAB user can create and share a Performance Track of the request.

PG Music also provides method to easily transfer all that may be necessary for different parties to access a copy of the SGU file, provide a Style or RealTrack a user may not have in their version and it is all done from within the software.

Attached picture Save a Performance Track.JPG
Attached picture Email Song.JPG
Absolutely right. I do remember this. I just didn’t think it met the original request.

Someone like Notes could probably create a nice business recording melodies on demand. I might have done this myself in past years but I’m pretty much done with recording now unless it’s a special project.
© PG Music Forums