PG Music Home
If I type "Ruben Gonzalez" into the Song-Title field of the Style Picker, I get far too many results ... including Heavy Rock ...

Well, however, I think that this landmark of Cuban Piano (he already played for Arsenio Rodriguez for several years in the 1940s, was part of the Afro-Cuban Allstars, and finally entered the big stage again in the late 1990s with Buena Vista Social Club, for sure) should get his own style; for comping and in particular as a soloist, since he's just iconic with his wonderful piano runs, his rhythmic fills and all that stuff.

Here are my favourite Rubén Tunes, as listening examples:

Chanchullo:

Mandinga:

Pueblo Nuevo:

Tres Lindas Cubanas:

+1
Yes, that's wonderful authentic Cuban piano comping sound. You might find styles like the first two songs if you search for Rebeca Mauleón. Some of the Montuno styles she has are very close. I think this may be an add-on pak, however - an extra purchase; it's a few years old now. But here's a link to the tracks she did for PG Music: https://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=95&os=win&sortby=name

The style for Pueblo is not like any other I have heard. Note, that doesn't mean much, as I am not an expert on Afro-Cuban styles; I specialize in Brazilian jazz.
Thanks for leading me to those styles, Matt! I have two Mauleón books, and Mauleón BiaB styles will surely be a perfect addition to that!

Even one more reason for upgrading from BiaB Pro to BiaB Mega soon.
© PG Music Forums