PG Music Home
Posted By: MoveToGroove Changüi (Early Cuban Style) - 10/17/21 08:08 AM
Changüi is a Cuban Style from around 1900. This style is highly syncopated and already existed before the clave was introduced in Cuban Music. Because of that, for Non-Cubans - even when experienced listeners of other cuban styles and/or experienced musicians of relatively high syncopated noncuban-styles - it is extremely difficult to keep orientation in a Changüi song ("Where is the One?"). However, the Changüi style delivered very important ingredients for later styles of the Cuban Music History.

Playing-along to this style would not only be interesting by itself, but it would also be like altitude training in sports: The musician could do some training for keeping orientation in syncopated songs under quite extreme circumstances here, and after that he'll find it easier than before to keep orientation in only "medium"-syncopated styles.

Additionally, I think there is no other style that (after practicing the style a bit) makes it as clear as Changüi, how Piano-Montunos (which didn't exist around 1900) derived from Tres(=CubanGuitar)-Montunos.

The Changüi style and in particular its Tres-syncopation as well as typical Tres-Variations are quite well explained in Vol. 1 (Roots) of Kevin Moore's book series "Beyond Salsa Piano":
http://beyondsalsa.info/portfolio-item/beyond-salsa-piano-vol-1/

In addition, I'd like to point to this video, which seems to represent quite a good breakdown of the basic Changüi components and in particular its percussion patterns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5H4rmxG-O8

So, well, because of the above explained reasons, I'd like to suggest the Changüi-Style to be added as BiaB-Style.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Changüi (Early Cuban Style) - 10/17/21 02:16 PM
Oh my, I would love that!

The second video is tremendous - very instructive and not very long. Yes, finding ‘1’ is a challenge.

+1
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Changüi (Early Cuban Style) - 10/17/21 03:57 PM
Yeah, that guy explains really great! Only the Marimbula pattern he has forgotten. Maybe he perceives the Marimbula more as a bass than as a percussion instrument (indeed it's something in between) and therefore left it out of his percussion explanations.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Changüi (Early Cuban Style) - 10/17/21 05:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Oh my, I would love that!

The second video is tremendous - very instructive and not very long. Yes, finding ‘1’ is a challenge.

+1

I agree!

+1
Posted By: Brille Re: Changüi (Early Cuban Style) - 10/18/21 04:38 AM
+1!
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Changüi (Early Cuban Style) - 10/31/21 04:07 PM
+1
Posted By: MikeK Re: Changüi (Early Cuban Style) - 11/03/21 12:44 PM
+1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Changüi (Early Cuban Style) - 11/05/21 03:49 PM
+1 for this.
© PG Music Forums