PG Music Home
Posted By: MoveToGroove Sergio Mendes Soloist - 11/21/21 01:45 PM
I love Sergio Mendes mainly since many of his tracks turn Bossa Novas into Sambas by his uptempo Piano Style. And I'm happy that BiaB has already two "Sergio"-Styles. Well, I wouldn't mind even more of them :-) ... but first of all, I think that a Sergio-Soloist is still missing, right?

My favourite songs from Sergio Mendes:

1) Mas Que Nada (1966 version)

2) Oba-Lá-Lá (1961)

3) Love for Sale (1961)

4) Emorio (2010 version)

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Sergio Mendes Soloist - 11/21/21 09:05 PM
I have all his albums. I think the genius of Sergio Mendes is his comping. He rarely solos and those are minimal. It’s sort of like requesting a Count Basie soloist. But certainly a soloist track could be made of the comping style he uses. Does that make sense for your request?
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Sergio Mendes Soloist - 11/22/21 01:21 PM
Hey Matt!

yeah I already was undetermined exactly in regard to that - thanks for bringing this up. Probablay makes sense, in most cases.

In Mas Que Nada for example, he only plays a very small Solo at the end. But on the other side, e.g. for Oba-Lá-Lá you could argue that almost the whole song could be seen as one big Sergio-Solo.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Sergio Mendes Soloist - 11/30/21 10:41 PM
Definitely more Sergio Styles would be great.

And yes, his 1966 arrangement of Jorge Ben's Mas Que Nada is outstanding.

+1
Posted By: MoveToGroove Re: Sergio Mendes Soloist - 12/01/21 02:51 AM
Hey VideoTrack,

btw, did you know that even Jorge Ben's version was quite "coverish"?
Check out José Prates: Nanã Imborô (1958): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-l_8BurV_4
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sergio Mendes Soloist - 12/01/21 11:24 AM
+1
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Sergio Mendes Soloist - 12/24/21 10:26 PM
Originally Posted By: MoveToGroove
Hey VideoTrack,

btw, did you know that even Jorge Ben's version was quite "coverish"?
Check out José Prates: Nanã Imborô (1958): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-l_8BurV_4

What a sensational production. Smooth and unique, and very different from other performances.
© PG Music Forums