PG Music Home
Posted By: Icelander Style req: CONGA!!! - 02/12/22 04:59 AM
Yadadadah Dah-Dah, Yadadadah Dah-Dah! laugh

Ok, so yes, maybe it doesn't 'gel' with anything in the existing RT department for a mix-n-match so it can't be used for anything else, but - Turn this beauty on when your "1-Man-Band-Show" is long gone south and nobody is listening anymore, and you have an instant PARTY in the room, who-hoo!! grin

NOBODY can resist the Conga!!! cool
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 02/12/22 01:27 PM
I’ve had my percussionist play congas on what I thought were unlikely songs, like 60s BlueNote jazz. It seems there’s always room for conga!
Posted By: Icelander Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 02/12/22 01:38 PM
While I appreciate the moral support, Mr. Finley, I think you may have slightly misunderstood what I meant by the term Conga. It's not about an instrument, but a style/rhythm. Actually a dance, if that rings the correct bells for you.

Take a look at the first line of what I wrote (in bold), that's the rhythm/style I'm asking for. You must've seen this dance (traditionally danced by all in a single line, each holding onto the next person in front), even if I suppose it's perhaps not as common in N-America as elsewhere...?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 02/13/22 12:32 AM
You’re right, I had no idea what your bolder line meant. The dance? Ok.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 02/13/22 06:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
You’re right, I had no idea what your bolder line meant. The dance?
It's basically this: https://youtu.be/8pIxNjE83qI?t=25
Posted By: Tobin - PG Music Inc. Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 02/17/22 02:40 PM
Hi Icelander,

There were some Conga (the groove/style, not the instrument) styles that we recorded quite a while ago:

-CONGMOD
-CONGFOK

Is that the kind of thing you had in mind? Those styles have real percussion, but it's midi drums/bass/piano/etc. But, if that's what you were thinking of, real instruments for the bass, etc. could potentially be added in the future.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 02/17/22 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Tobin - PG Music Inc.
Hi Icelander,
There were some Conga (the groove/style, not the instrument) styles that we recorded quite a while ago:
====
Is that the kind of thing you had in mind?
Yeah no, sorry. It's an admirable effort, but those two are just very generic salsa-esque styles, with lots of varied percussions and other varied fanciness. My "Conga" is anything but varied smirk
It's essentially just a 1-bar riff that is always the same pattern (and that's where my "doesn't gel" remark stems from). Failing to conform to that pattern, specifically to those "Dah Dah" stops at the end of the bar every, single time is simply NOT Conga! crazy

I have the same gripe with your Charleston, btw, since to me only the A-part gets it right in that one... and you still have no designated Charleston RD to conform properly to that style either, I might add (let alone RTs).
Posted By: ejdecker Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 05/20/23 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
You’re right, I had no idea what your bolder line meant. The dance?
It's basically this: https://youtu.be/8pIxNjE83qI?t=25

Icelander, I believe I might grasp what you're after --

It's that basic, totally unwavering Ev8 Conga-line dance rhythm of "1-2-3-UNH! 1-2-3-UNH! 1-2-3-UNH!" on & on ad infinatum...

The classic hallmark of every 1940s South of Miami movie AND every drunken adult party in the 1950s as the aunts & uncles & neighbors danced around the house, backyard, etc., to the dismay of all their kids...

Tobin, yes, he's correct. I haven't heard THAT particular rhythm in the congas yet, either. And I use the Conga tracks A LOT!

That WOULD be a great add!

E.J.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 05/20/23 08:46 PM
Originally Posted By: ejdecker
Icelander, I believe I might grasp what you're after --

It's that basic, totally unwavering Ev8 Conga-line dance rhythm of "1-2-3-UNH! 1-2-3-UNH! 1-2-3-UNH!" on & on ad infinatum...

The classic hallmark of every 1940s South of Miami movie AND every drunken adult party in the 1950s as the aunts & uncles & neighbors danced around the house, backyard, etc., to the dismay of all their kids...
That's the one! wink
Posted By: Tobin - PG Music Inc. Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 05/25/23 05:54 PM
Here's something along those lines

So, the one thing about that, is that you have to actually go in and add the pushes to the chords. For an actual "conga line" style, you'd probably just want to type chords like: | C |F |F |C | and have it play like that. It might be possible to add features that could emulate what I did to get that sample, without the user having to enter those pushes & holds.
Posted By: Icelander Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 05/26/23 11:07 AM
Well, the bass is still not right (too complex) but you're definitely getting there cool
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Style req: CONGA!!! - 05/27/23 07:50 PM
+1
© PG Music Forums