PG Music Home
Posted By: Blues1952 Blues Rhythm Guitar - 03/02/22 02:57 PM
Unless you’re looking for a Stevie Ray kinda thing there isn’t much to choose from. I would like a couple blues rhythms that don’t sound like SRV. JW Jones is a great Canadian blues guitarist. I’m sure he would be thrilled to do some tracks.
Posted By: Tobin - PG Music Inc. Re: Blues Rhythm Guitar - 03/02/22 04:52 PM
Hi Blues1952, can you put in some youtube links showing the type of thing you have in mind?
Posted By: Blues1952 Re: Blues Rhythm Guitar - 03/24/22 07:40 PM
It's really hard to link to a rhythm part
You might try listening to any band led by a harp player. They usually have great rhythm. I would recommend Charlie Musselwhite; Rod Piazza; Sugar Ray Norcia; Rick Estrin;or Kim Wilson. They always have great players behind them.
Posted By: Tobin - PG Music Inc. Re: Blues Rhythm Guitar - 03/28/22 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Blues1952
It's really hard to link to a rhythm part

It doesn't have to be a link to just a rhythm guitar part. You could link to a particular time in a video where one guy might be soloing, but then say "the rhythm guitarist that's backing up this soloist is kind of what I had in mind".
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Blues Rhythm Guitar - 05/17/22 08:46 AM
Hi,

Jimmy Rogers - Muddy Waters' Rhythm guitarist.
(Jimmy was IMHO the finest and most innovative Rhythm Guitarist of all time).

Charles Dennis - BB King and Bobby Blue Bland Rhythm Guitarist
Ric'JazGuitar' Hall - Buddy Guy's Rhythm Guitarist.
Hubert Sumlin - Howling Wolf's Rhythm Guitarist.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Blues Rhythm Guitar - 05/17/22 08:52 AM
Hi,

I agree - most of the BIAB Blues Rhythm Guitar Real Tracks are modern Texas style and way over the top for 95% of Blues, R&B, Soul or Gospel songs.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: Tobin - PG Music Inc. Re: Blues Rhythm Guitar - 05/17/22 11:35 AM
Here is an example of Charles Dennis playing rhythm, from 0:34-0:55

https://youtu.be/oLaA_E-DKLw?t=34

Here's an example of Ric Jaz playing rhythm on a funky blues, 3:30-3:50:

https://youtu.be/TswDenXzaX8?t=203

And here's an example of Hubert Sumlin with Howlin' Wolf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIC02STmPp0

Are these the kinds of rhythm guitar styles people are wanting in this thread?
Posted By: Tobin - PG Music Inc. Re: Blues Rhythm Guitar - 08/23/22 08:28 PM
Hi Blues1952, please have a listen to this, and let me know if the rhythm guitar parts in these samples are more what you had in mind:
https://www.dropbox.com/t/cIpKQRWanllntPvE

It's a single mp3 with 4 short clips at 0:00 (sw8), 0:27 (sw8), 0:51 (ev8), 1:14 (ev8), so if you reply, make sure you mention which segment you're talking about.

That link will expire Aug 31.
Posted By: Tim_Clark Re: Blues Rhythm Guitar - 08/26/22 11:46 AM
Tobin, thanks for putting up these samples.

Clips #2 and #4 would be most usable for me: rhythm guitar chords rather than single note or mixed chord/single note comping.

I agree with the OP about the general usability of these guitar parts. To my ears, most of them sound like they are comping rather than playing rhythm guitar. The few I use I always set to "simple" to try to get a more basic sound.

Also, if I were a producer asking a session pro to play rhythm parts, I would ask them not to “play” the turnarounds—rather to simply keep steady rhythm. Other instruments, not rhythm guitar, should "play" the turnarounds, in my view.

None of this is meant to take away from the playing these RealTrack players do. It is fabulous!
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Blues Rhythm Guitar - 10/09/22 07:27 AM
I Agree,

Most of the Blues Rhythm guitar Real Tracks are "over the top". What about a range of simple Rhythm tracks in both Swing and straight feel.

You gave it a go with some Pat Bergeson in BIAB 2022 but unfortunately his playing is not very bluesy and is way over the top in terms of playing and tone.

Best Regards
Nigel
Posted By: NigelSpiers Re: Blues Rhythm Guitar - 10/11/22 10:44 PM
Hi,

Here's another great Blues Rhythm guitarist:

Bob Margolin - Muddy Waters' Rhythm guitarist for many years.

Best Regards
Nigel
© PG Music Forums