PG Music Home
Jazzing up pop then.
I'll leave that to those intent on turning today's pop into tomorrows standard book.
Jazz used to be pop music.
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

Yep it did.
Eventually the sort of stuff in the video, (Here's a wonderful pop tune. How about I replace the directness & simplicity with obscure voicings, obdurate variations and talk about shell chords?"), moved it from pop to a different demographic or, worse, wallpaper music for restaurants.
Originally Posted By: rayc
Originally Posted By: Byron Dickens

Yep it did.
Eventually the sort of stuff in the video, (Here's a wonderful pop tune. How about I replace the directness & simplicity with obscure voicings, obdurate variations and talk about shell chords?"), moved it from pop to a different demographic or, worse, wallpaper music for restaurants.

Bless your heart.
Unfortunately, Byron, I don't accept blessings from friends, family, frocked men or furinurz.
Jazz Standard books take old, classics, even jazz songs and make them "jazzier". It is an entire vocabulary and minimum requirement for those that are interested. It's also a launching pad for many more exploratory performers and performances but whilst BIAB/PG Music hold it dear it's no longer POPular in the wider sense. I like my old Ella, Bird, and Armstrong albums but I'm not into the from in any useful way beyond it's former pop glories.
Now, I know that dissent is hard to swallow particularly for one who likes to stand on the outside but but as a consenting, dissenting adult I'm usually allowed to have a vague colostomy bag of thoughts that form an opinion.
I think that the most important statement in this entire video was "Music is not about rules".

Hey, Mario, who made you the boss??

Oh I forgot, you did. On the other thread.

Never mind.

What Mario said.
Frankly, I think pop music could use quite a bit of jazzing up.
Hmmmm. Went back to this again.

Let me see, I played that ColdPlay song Clocks he referenced about 1,888,965,976,654,112,345,897,332,777 times when it first came out.

Is he making sense here?

Maybe? I think???

Yeah, I guess he is.
© PG Music Forums