PG Music Home
Posted By: pipandtinker EWI standard fingering - 12/05/14 05:38 AM
I recently bought a EWI USB. Although I play other instuments, I have never played a wind instrument - except the recorder about 45 years ago! so am learning the EWI fingering - however something is not working.
I have the EWI set up configured to EWI standard fingering, however when I follow the fingering on page 22 of the quick start manual, and just press K1 for a "B", it plays "Bb". Also, at the bottom of that page, the high C (K3) gives an "A".

Can anyone help me with this / explain why i get different notes than the manual.

Many thanks
Posted By: MarioD Re: EWI standard fingering - 12/05/14 10:48 AM
Are you absolutely sure that you are touching the right keys? The difference between the notes you are having problems with is the right keys K8, K9 and K10.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: EWI standard fingering - 12/05/14 11:12 AM
I don't have this brand (mine is a Yamaha WX5) but those notes are all fingered with the left hand on any woodwind (except Bb alternately played with the first finger of the right hand). I'm confused...
Posted By: MarioD Re: EWI standard fingering - 12/05/14 06:10 PM
Matt, I probably confused the issue, sorry about that. I have to not respond to anything until I have had my coffee.

I was looking at my EWI finger chart when I responded, however my chart is for the pseudo trumpet fingerings. The EWI can be configured into a number of fingerings, i.e. Sax, Traditional EWI, Flute, Oboe, and Brass/EVI.

The EWI calls the top keys the left keys and the bottom keys the right keys.

Pipandtinker please forget my initial post and I apologize if I added to your confusion.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: EWI standard fingering - 12/05/14 09:13 PM
Oh, I see. Yes, I thought we were talking about EWI versus the EVI mode.
Posted By: pipandtinker Re: EWI standard fingering - 12/06/14 05:57 PM
Hi all, Thanks for the comments. Yes - I am certain that I'm pressing the correct keys. I also got this reply from Akai:

"Also, if you have it transposed down a half step, then the
pitch bend can cause the A when you intend a C. You can spread the pitch bend plates apart by using a small Phillips screwdriver to loosen the screw."

I'm going to have a fiddle around with that - as I don't fully understand yet what that does, but any other thoughts as to why I get the wrong notes when I press the right buttons - gratefully received!
Susan
Posted By: MarioD Re: EWI standard fingering - 12/06/14 06:30 PM
Before you attack those pitch bend plates try playing those notes without your thumb between those plates. If you are still having the problem then the plates are not the issue. That is unless you are moving your thumb and it accidentally touches the plates.
© PG Music Forums