PG Music Home
Posted By: doogiet Chord progressions to practice? - 03/22/16 07:26 PM
Hi, all. I'm wanting to improve my chord reading and I was wondering what chord progressions to practice around the circle of fifths. I know I should probably start with the ii-V-I, but I'm not sure if I should do them as triads or what extensions to add. I'd say I'm advanced beginner at guitar.

Any thoughts?

D
Posted By: MarioD Re: Chord progressions to practice? - 03/22/16 08:14 PM
I would start with ii-V7-I but I would use some easy jazz chord fingerings and not barre chords. Check the Internet for these fingerings, you will find many helpful sites. Start with say Am-G7-C and work ii-V7-I through all keys. Then try ii7-V7-I, ii9-V9-Imaj7, then the 11 chords and 13th chords. Also try different voicings and practice these changes in all keys.

BiaB is your friend when learning chord progressions. Just plug in the chords and listen to what they should sound like. Also use the transpose functions to change the chords 1 step on each pass.

Just don't get frustrated and have fun.
Posted By: doogiet Re: Chord progressions to practice? - 03/24/16 12:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate all the help people here offer. smile

Doug
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Chord progressions to practice? - 03/29/16 01:38 AM
At the top middle of the BiaB main screen, go to 'window,' then 'practice window."

You will see that BiaB comes with enough learner and practice material to keep you busy for years.
Posted By: lkmuller Re: Chord progressions to practice? - 03/29/16 01:19 PM
Try googling "Rhythm Changes" and try to find an mp3 of it. It's a I VI II V thing that's fun to play and will help you understand the relationships of the chords to the key you're playing in. Have fun with it.
Posted By: dga Re: Chord progressions to practice? - 04/24/16 01:57 AM
Have you opened up the guitar fingerboard in BIAB? Load a Demo song and open this window up, you will be amazed how much you can learn, just watching the dots. Slow it down to 30BPM then speed it up a little as you get the hang of it.
Posted By: Bob Roetker Re: Chord progressions to practice? - 04/24/16 05:01 PM
D, don't worry about extensions until you get a little further along. Adding the wrong extension or alteration can ruin the sound.
© PG Music Forums