PG Music Home
Posted By: drutgat Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/11/18 04:01 AM
Hi Folks,
I am hoping that you can provide some tips, suggestions and perhaps links to resources with a problem I have been having.

I stopped singing for about 18 months, and started again early this year.

Although, as a 55 year-old guy I expect some degradation of my voice as I age, I was shocked that I had lost some of my vocal range, and that my voice is a bit shakey (not that I have a great voice or range anyway).

I cannot even sing some of my own songs properly.

I have been trying to sing each day (bet my neighbours love the combination of that and me playing electric guitar along to various CDs) in an effort to get back to where I was.

Do you have any advice to help with this?

I was thinking of taking a Skype lesson (if possible) with Nashville based artist/vocal teacher Susan Anders, to see what she would suggest.

I am grateful for any suggestions you might have.

Thanks.
These videos from VoiceLesson.com on youtube will help you and show you what to do. They really work. smile

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-pOsbaC39z-7_nbBDbBw0OQOFIk3_T2j
Posted By: dcuny Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/12/18 06:53 PM
I have no specific recommendations, but I heartily support getting professional help with this.

There are plenty of vocal exercises that you can to to build up your strength and range, but getting a pro to listen and help put together a program is money well spent.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/13/18 12:09 AM
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I have no specific recommendations, but I heartily support getting professional help with this.

There are plenty of vocal exercises that you can to to build up your strength and range, but getting a pro to listen and help put together a program is money well spent.

Hi David,
Many thanks for this.

I will definitely get some professional help with this.

Thanks, again.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/13/18 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance
These videos from VoiceLesson.com on youtube will help you and show you what to do. They really work. smile

Sundance,
Many thanks for the link.

I will check it out right now.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/13/18 02:05 AM
Don't forget physical exercise. Sometimes injuries or health issues can prevent exercise. Then our voices get weaker. A good exercise routine is critical and often over looked.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/13/18 02:23 AM
Hi Tobias,
Many thanks for your reply.

You raise an excellent point, particularly in my case, as I spent an inordinate amount of time in sedentary activities such as being on the computer, and playing guitar.

It is a shame that my interests and passions are all ones which do not involve exercising (although I was thinking about it today).

I have the means, but not yet the will. However, I know from past experience that I can get back into excercising.

Thanks again.
Don't know if you smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine, just an inquiry. As you get older the vocal cords get dryer and any of these will make your vocals sound worse. Aerobic exercise will help with the lung capacity, maybe get in some good trail hiking a couple times a week, some fresh clean air and trails that get you huffing and puffing. Get a good healthy diet and do some warm-ups and vocal exercises from 5 - 15 minutes a day. There are lots of free vocal warm-ups and exercises on YouTube, pick ones you like. Oh, make sure you drink enough water to keep the chords lubricated.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/13/18 07:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Don't know if you smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine, just an inquiry. As you get older the vocal cords get dryer and any of these will make your vocals sound worse. Aerobic exercise will help with the lung capacity, maybe get in some good trail hiking a couple times a week, some fresh clean air and trails that get you huffing and puffing. Get a good healthy diet and do some warm-ups and vocal exercises from 5 - 15 minutes a day. There are lots of free vocal warm-ups and exercises on YouTube, pick ones you like. Oh, make sure you drink enough water to keep the chords lubricated.

Hi Belladona,
Many thanks for your reply, and your helpful suggestions.

I am a vehement anti-smoker, and have never smoked, although I was around a lot of second-hand smoke as a kid.

I have really cut down on drinking over the past year or so - maybe a pint or two of beer in a whole month, although I used to drink a lot more.

But I do fall down on the exercise front.

I followed the link recommended by David (above), and have started to do vocal exercises, and will continue to do so.

Thanks, once again.
Sounds like you've got the healthy eating pretty together. What about coffee and/or tea? I would really only have one cup a day, again it's hard on the vocals when you're older. A lot more water is probably the key and good aerobic exercise to get those lungs pumping.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/13/18 11:31 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I gave up coffee in 1986 (!), but that I have about 5 - 10 cups of orange pekoe tea/week.

And I have deliberately been drinking water (not as much as I should, because I hate running to the bathroom every five minutes) every day for the last three or four years.

I was saying in an email to a friend in an email earlier today that I am going to start exercising again.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
I can relate drutgat. The pic you see flashing on the left was taken a week before surgery two months ago. Since then I spent a lot of time in my recliner and gained 4lbs. I've been adding more walking and physical activity in my regular day but doing it very slowly and steadily. Baby steps works better than jumpiing in - according to research slowly gradually working your way into an exercise routine that works for you gives you better odds of sticking with it. You don't want to injure yourself or get burned out and quit. Glad you found the videos helpful.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/14/18 01:10 AM
Hi Josie,
I am really sorry to hear that you have faced such a challenge, but am glad to hear that you are obviously recovering.

And I wish you well with that process. As you say, slowly working one's way into an exercise routine gives one better odds of sticking with it.

I really have no excuse, though, except to say that all my interests (playing, watching, and listening to music) are sedentary. But I have two pieces of exercise equipment 10 and 15 feet away from me, so I just need to turn the TV on and get on the rowing machine.

I find walking really boring.

Good luck with everything, and thanks for the encouragement.

By the way, I really liked your version of 'Be My Baby' - left a comment to that effect on YT yesterday.

Take care.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/15/18 04:47 AM
We have an elliptical machine in the living room with the TV in view. My wife uses it way more than I do.
Maybe your desire to sing more will motivate you to get more exercise.
If you need more motivation here I'll give you some;
PICK UP THE PACE YOU LITTLE GRUB WORM! DO YOU THINK THIS IS THE BOY SCOUTS OR SOMETHING? DROP AND GIVE ME 20! IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT I'LL TAKE YOU BACK TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE FOR MILK AND COOKIES. THEN YOU CAN TAKE A LITTLE NAP YOUR TEDDY RUXPIN!
There, Does that help?
Posted By: drutgat Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/15/18 07:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Tobias
We have an elliptical machine in the living room with the TV in view. My wife uses it way more than I do.
Maybe your desire to sing more will motivate you to get more exercise.
If you need more motivation here I'll give you some;
PICK UP THE PACE YOU LITTLE GRUB WORM! DO YOU THINK THIS IS THE BOY SCOUTS OR SOMETHING? DROP AND GIVE ME 20! IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT I'LL TAKE YOU BACK TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE FOR MILK AND COOKIES. THEN YOU CAN TAKE A LITTLE NAP YOUR TEDDY RUXPIN!
There, Does that help?

Laugh? I nearly cried. laugh

That was brilliant, Tobias - many thanks.

Great motivation (you must have done this before).

And, yes, you are right my desire to sing more and to regain my previously-mediocre-but-that's-alright-with-me voice is motivating me more to get back to exercizing (plus, I assume I will be more attractive to the female species wink ).

Thanks again.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/15/18 09:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Sundance

I tried the first one, the humming exercise, and am definitely going back for more. Bookmarked. Thanks.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/20/18 10:02 AM
Here's a tip on the internet:

1) Breathe in, breathe out, controlled exhale; meaning, variable pressure, under control. (Note: tightening of vocal chords raises pitch, more air pressure raises volume.
2) Breathe out, holding notes, singing scale, especially 1-5. Sound vowels, ah -- la -- ee -- oh, and dipthongs, ohm -- ong -- amm.
Now, here is the tip:
While exhaling, engage vocal chords for a couple of seconds. Sound a note. Then, disengage vocal chords but continue to exhale in one continuous motion. That's the trick. Use this to build (or rebuild) vocal strength.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/20/18 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Here's a tip on the internet:

1) Breathe in, breathe out, controlled exhale; meaning, variable pressure, under control. (Note: tightening of vocal chords raises pitch, more air pressure raises volume.
2) Breathe out, holding notes, singing scale, especially 1-5. Sound vowels, ah -- la -- ee -- oh, and dipthongs, ohm -- ong -- amm.
Now, here is the tip:
While exhaling, engage vocal chords for a couple of seconds. Sound a note. Then, disengage vocal chords but continue to exhale in one continuous motion. That's the trick. Use this to build (or rebuild) vocal strength.

edshaw,
Many thanks for this.

I will do this.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/29/18 09:20 AM
You are most welcome, drutgat. We improve a little bit at a time. If we are lucky, we have found teachers who have gotten us on the right track. Here's another one I found helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7uJg3PgPE
I'm not very good at making that lip sound like he does, but found making the lips move like playing a trumpet is easier for me, and still works; that is, gets results. (This ties in with that previous tip.)
The voice coach is teaching lip trills or we also call them motorboat. Kids sometimes do this when mimicking a motor running.
Ed, Some people have a hard time doing trills due to their mouth structure and bite. Just place your index and middle fingers about mid cheek on each side of your mouth. Push and voila it'll be much easier to do trills.
Posted By: edshaw Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 10/31/18 10:46 AM
Thanks for that, Belladonna and Sundance. Always good to have tutorials validated by the pros. I still lean toward making that trumpet sound as an alternative to a lip trill. It's easier for me and it works.
What I an finding with several you tube voice tutorials, especially the ones on range, is so many tend to get into very complex psycho/physio phenomena, making some attempts to explain something to we mortals, soon getting over even their own heads, then drifting into vaguery. So far, the humming, the lip trills, and the extended breath control exercises, along with that tip about turning the vocal chords on and off while exhaling seem to have had the most benefit.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 11/01/18 09:18 PM
Originally Posted By: edshaw
You are most welcome, drutgat. We improve a little bit at a time. If we are lucky, we have found teachers who have gotten us on the right track. Here's another one I found helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7uJg3PgPE
I'm not very good at making that lip sound like he does, but found making the lips move like playing a trumpet is easier for me, and still works; that is, gets results. (This ties in with that previous tip.)

Hi edshaw,
Many thanks for the continued help, and it is good to know that this helped you.
Posted By: drutgat Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range - 11/01/18 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
The voice coach is teaching lip trills or we also call them motorboat. Kids sometimes do this when mimicking a motor running.

Belladonna,
Thanks for that - good to have a reference point that I can imagine - as soon as you gave that example, I knew exactly what you meant.
© PG Music Forums