PG Music Home
Posted By: pghboemike F SHARP is the BEST musical key YMMV - 08/25/19 10:39 AM

https://www.songkeyfinder.com/songs-in-key/f-sharp,g-flat-major
Posted By: edshaw Re: F SHARP is the BEST musical key YMMV - 08/26/19 08:11 AM
What an interesting video, pgh. Thanks for finding it. At first, I didn't know what to make of those two, but as the video went on, it turned out to be a very informative class on F#. Unique presentation, for sure.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: F SHARP is the BEST musical key YMMV - 08/27/19 10:51 AM
I agree, they started out sounding like they were drunk or something but it got better. As a keys player playing rock in F# is not good but these guys are right on from a guitar pov. Way back the band I was in worked out something I can't remember now in F# and the guitarist explained why just like these guys did.

That was one of my first lessons showing I needed to work out certain licks and phrases in all keys. Fast forward to 6 years ago and the classic rock band I'm still in now does some SRV in Eb and Ab and I had to work out all that killer screaming organ and piano stuff that Reese Wynans does in those keys. I read an article saying that's the reason he got the gig with Stevie in the first place. He showed up at the studio on short notice and Stevie threw something at him in Ab and Reese nailed it. There's a reason music teachers the world over make you learn all keys which I never did in my early days.

Bob
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: F SHARP is the BEST musical key YMMV - 08/27/19 06:24 PM
perhaps part of the srv stuff comes from Jimi Hendrix.
Hendrix was well known for tuning his guitar down a half step from E to Eb
I think srv was a big Jimi fan.

That would leave a lot of rock stuff in Eb and Ab to a keyboard player.

just a thought
© PG Music Forums